Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th May 2013, 07:34   #151
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Any improvements on Attur-Salem stretch. Planning to go this weekend from Chennai
I dont know about the current status. But, I think for a day time drive, it should be just fine.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:36   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Any improvements on Attur-Salem stretch. Planning to go this weekend from Chennai
Drove on this stretch two weeks back. Absolutely no problem. It is completely done except for a flyover and again you will get a well laid road at the diversion of the flyover construction.
rameshnanda is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:41   #153
BHPian

Thankyou, took this route and the roads were good. Reached Salem in 4 hrs
Chillout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:41   #154
BHPian

Excellent roads all the way. Took only 4 hours to reach Chrompet from Salem. The diversions are clearly marked and well laid.So I don't think night journey will not be a problem. The traffic is really less in Salem-Ulundrupet stretch. It's better to avoid Krishnagiri route as the traffic is heavy, tolls amounts are high and distance is more.

Last edited by denver85 : 3rd June 2013 at 09:42. Reason: Added a missed Point
denver85 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 17:24   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Excellent roads all the way. Took only 4 hours to reach Chrompet from Salem. The diversions are clearly marked and well laid.So I don't think night journey will not be a problem. The traffic is really less in Salem-Ulundrupet stretch. It's better to avoid Krishnagiri route as the traffic is heavy, tolls amounts are high and distance is more.
Denver
has toll collection started in this stretch ? toll rates have gone up steeply in the rest of GST road - hence checking
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 10:55   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Denver
has toll collection started in this stretch ? toll rates have gone up steeply in the rest of GST road - hence checking
First two toll booths in the Ulundurpet Salem was ready few months back and toll collection is in progress. Amount is Rs 40 each. The last tool booth was still not ready when I was driving this way during April.
ranjish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 17:14   #157
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on this stretch? Will be proceeding to Cochin via CBE. Also any updates in the conditions on the Kerala side will also help.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 18:45   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any updates on this stretch? Will be proceeding to Cochin via CBE. Also any updates in the conditions on the Kerala side will also help.
Construction may not be complete (not sure). But if you are driving during day time, it is perfect to take that route.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 08:52   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Roads are good throughout though there are still few stretches of two lane traffic between Ulundurpet and Salem. But no bad stretches.
vinucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 10:36   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This stretch is completely done now. There was one incomplete flyover between Attur and Salem and that is now complete and opened too. All 3 tolls are functional. Toll rates have been revised to Rs. 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Roads are good throughout though there are still few stretches of two lane traffic between Ulundurpet and Salem. But no bad stretches.
This stretch is now 100% complete according to NHAI. All bypasses in this stretch are two laned. There is no plan with NHAI to make it 4 laned for now.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 28th October 2013 at 10:40.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 10:52   #161
BHPian

This road is complete in all respects including toll collection. As informed by rameshnanda, all bypasses are two laned but this does not pose any issue to a smooth driving depending on the time of the day. Done this route twice during the last 3 months and no problem at all. The only hitch is perunkalthur junction near vandalur which may be actually a pain if we are crossing this junction after 9 pm and it takes almost 20-30 minutes to cross this stretch. And at most of the small towns like maramalai nagar, melmaruvathur, dindigul, etc these omni buses and State Owned buses have a very scant respect for other vehicles and stop their vehicles haphazardly hindering the movement vehicles. However, after Dindigul, driving is a like breeze and a good route on the whole for people travelling from chennai to salem, kovai, etc.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 12:33   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But if you are driving during day time, it is perfect to take that route.
I've actually done this route in the night. By the time I reached Dindivanam from Chennai, it was dark, but had no problems whatsoever. The only issue is the lack of eateries/rest stops between Ulundurpet and Salem unless and otherwise you want to get into the towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
However, after Dindigul, driving is a like breeze and a good route on the whole for people travelling from chennai to salem, kovai, etc.
I think you meant Dindivanam?
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 12:49   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I've actually done this route in the night. By the time I reached Dindivanam from Chennai, it was dark, but had no problems whatsoever. The only issue is the lack of eateries/rest stops between Ulundurpet and Salem unless and otherwise you want to get into the towns.

I think you meant Dindivanam?
I am sorry about that. Yes I meant Dindivanam. I too had done this route during night. But only issue is traffic congestion at perunkalathur caused by busess. As far as I know, no decent eateries between ulundurpet and salem. The next good restaurant is shri saravanabhawan near Sankagiri toll gate, if you are proceeding on coimbatore direction. I remember during pre-NH conversion days, we used to check into Hotel Rajesh (owned by a tamil actor of yesteryears) at Ulundurpet but now find no traces of the same.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 15:04   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
This road is complete in all respects including toll collection. As informed by rameshnanda, all bypasses are two laned but this does not pose any issue to a smooth driving depending on the time of the day. Done this route twice during the last 3 months and no problem at all. The only hitch is perunkalthur junction near vandalur which may be actually a pain if we are crossing this junction after 9 pm and it takes almost 20-30 minutes to cross this stretch. And at most of the small towns like maramalai nagar, melmaruvathur, dindigul, etc these omni buses and State Owned buses have a very scant respect for other vehicles and stop their vehicles haphazardly hindering the movement vehicles. However, after Dindigul, driving is a like breeze and a good route on the whole for people travelling from chennai to salem, kovai, etc.
Did you meant Dindigul or Thindivanam? Please clarify

EDIT: Saw the last post after this.... thanks Gokrish

Last edited by Reisender : 28th October 2013 at 15:05.
Reisender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 20:46   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post

This stretch is completely done now. There was one incomplete flyover between Attur and Salem and that is now complete and opened too. All 3 tolls are functional. Toll rates have been revised to Rs. 45.

This stretch is now 100% complete according to NHAI. All bypasses in this stretch are two laned. There is no plan with NHAI to make it 4 laned for now.
There are three tollbooths and rate is Rs.43 at each toll. Good thing is that I found hotel vasantham after around 22 km from ulundurpet turn from chennai-trichy highway. Another one immediately after kallakurichi toll and looked like a non-veg hotel but looked quite good from outside (vaguely remember the name of the hotel as Vellapper). No other hotels in this stretch otherwise.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote