Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th November 2013, 14:10   #166
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

I'm planning to go Erode next week, Since this stretch is completed (as per this thread), I want to give a try. Planning to start from Chennai around 6-7 a.m. So far, I used with Vellore-Krishnagiri route. Is this worth a try and advisable? If yes, Please share me some advantages to convince my family and in-laws:-)
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 14:14   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
I'm planning to go Erode next week, Since this stretch is completed (as per this thread), I want to give a try. Planning to start from Chennai around 6-7 a.m. So far, I used with Vellore-Krishnagiri route. Is this worth a try and advisable? If yes, Please share me some advantages to convince my family and in-laws:-)
If you are starting after 6/7AM, I would suggest use GST. Its much better. Traffic at Sriperumbudur/Kanchi would be high.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 17:52   #168
BHPian

Hi Jebs

I frequently travel to Coimbatore from Chennai by road and used to stick to Kanchi-vellore-K'giri-salem-avinashi route as I stay at East Anna Nagar. However, based on Ampere's suggestion, tried Dindivanam-ulundurpet-athur-salem-avinashi route. Believe me this will save you time and distance too if you stay close to south of Guindy like Chrompet or Tambaram. GST is relatively better in terms of traffic and hotel options and once you take right turn at Ulundurpet towards salem, the route is really breezy. However, you may not have many options as far as hotels are concerned after Ulundurpet turn. I could only spot two decent hotels on NH 68 during my last trip in early November. However, if you start by 6 am, you should be able to have your break fast at Dindivanam where you have lot of options and should be able to make it to Erode for your lunch. +1 to Ampere's point - Road from Sriperambadur till Ranipet is saddled with craters like holes testing both your patience and that of your car's suspension. Beyond Ranipet, you may have to encounter a lot of traffic diversions due to ongoing (perennial, it seems) road widening work. In fact, these two points would be sufficient for your family to consider the GST route.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 20:11   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Beyond Ranipet, you may have to encounter a lot of traffic diversions due to ongoing (perennial, it seems) road widening work. In fact, these two points would be sufficient for your family to consider the GST route.
I think most of the Vellore-Krishangiri nearing completion. But even then I would still suggest the GST option. I somehow feel on that section is much lower compared NH46. Like what you said beyond Ulundurpet, you actually dont see much traffic at all. As regards to hotel I feel one can still manage. Simply because hotels are present at strategic locations, which one can access at the right time points. For example if one starts early, the ones at Tindivanam or Ulundurpet are apt for breakfast. And one can easily make it to Perundurai/Erode for lunch.
Old 27th November 2013, 12:26   #170
BHPian

Hi Gokrish and Ampere, Thanks a lot for your suggestions. these points more than enough to try out the newly laid highway and relatively lesser traffic.

I would like to know one more thing, Is NH68 connects directly do Salem by-pass? I don't want to enter into Salem as I want to proceed towards Erode straightaway.. Please guide me..
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 12:30   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
I would like to know one more thing, Is NH68 connects directly do Salem by-pass? I don't want to enter into Salem as I want to proceed towards Erode straightaway.. Please guide me..
Yes it directly connects you to Salem bypass. You can take the bypass and use it to take to the Coimbattore 4-lane.
Old 30th January 2014, 22:06   #172
BHPian

I'm planning a weekend trip to erode from chennai in my GT TSI. Have made this drive via ullundurpettai once and the road was really good. Thinking of trying the vellore-krishnagiri-salem route just out of curiosity. Is it worth the try. Also is it advantageous since i will be starting from anna nagar east.

thanks
drpudhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 22:20   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I'm planning a weekend trip to erode from chennai in my GT TSI. Have made this drive via ullundurpettai once and the road was really good. Thinking of trying the vellore-krishnagiri-salem route just out of curiosity. Is it worth the try. Also is it advantageous since i will be starting from anna nagar east.

thanks
4 laning in progress especially around vellore,so I dont think you would actually have any great fun driving the NH4.From Anna Nagar East,yes its definitely easier to get onto the NH4 via Poonamallee High Road.But if you are looking for a peaceful drive to Salem,then Ulundurpettai route should be the preferred one imo.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 22:22   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post

thanks
The Ulundurpet route means less traffic, good roads. I would prefer that to the Krishnagiri route.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 22:59   #175
Senior - BHPian

Ulundurpet route will still be the best route to take even if you start from Anna Nagar. Also, I prefer this route just because of better food options (read Aryaas) at Dindivanam, Villupuram and Ulundurpet. Even though A2B is available at Ulundurpet, I prefer Aryaas than A2B. The quality of food at A2B is degrading these days.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 06:36   #176
Senior - BHPian

The route via Ulundurpet is a better option from any part of Chennai except may be the areas beyond Poonamallee. Upto Ulundurpet there are many options for food with good hotels every 10 / 20 kms. It is faster as well as compared to via Krishnagiri.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 07:54   #177
Senior - BHPian

Ulundrupet route is anyday better. I did both routes four weeks back and initial few kms on Vellore route is rough in addition to construction work, thicker traffic and longer distance.

In addition, it will be easy to bypass Salem traffic via Ulundrupet.

Last edited by coolclouds : 1st February 2014 at 08:01.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 20:52   #178
BHPian

I feel the Krishnagiri route is better if you are in the western sub-urbs of CHennai and if you are not starting on the morning factory timings. Traffic on this route is bad during the morning hours - but thats only till Sriperumbudhur.
After that till Kancheepuram - roads are in bad shape - but you can manage 80 carefully. Beyond that 6 laning work is almost done in most stretches and the road is good and you can easily breeze past.

Disadvantages of Ulundurpet road are
- lack of 4 lanes in some bye-passes which can take you by surprise.
- Vandalur Overbridge construction and Guduvancherry traffic jam can hold you up.
vigneshA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 12:36   #179
BHPian

I have just completed Chennai - Coimbatore trip. As I stay at Anna Nagar, I have taken kanchi-krishnagiri - salem-avinashi route. Started at 4:30 am and reached Coimbatore north by 12 noon with 20 minutes break for breakfast. The route is excellent beyond Kanchipuram and six lane from Ranipet. Had breakfast at Saravanan Bhavan at krishnagiri as all usual hotels till Pallikonda were closed and open only after 7 am. As already pointed out by Vignesh, the traffic jam at outer ring road - GST road junction is permanent and due to a political party meeting yesterday at Vandalur, I was reluctant to try GST Road.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:26   #180
BHPian

I still feel Ulundurpet Route is better. Other than evening 6- 9 PM we can pass through Vandalur section without much hassle. We can also try pallikkaranai - medavakkam Rd to avoid the Vandalur section and reach Guduvancheri.
I used to take Krishnagiri route for Chennai - Coimbatore trips, traffic is always tight till sriperambathur especially in the night and the krishanagiri - Salem route is nowadays filled with bangalore traffic and more heavy vehicles.
Darmapuri intersection is really bad in the night as the trucks will occupy first 2 lanes of the road for their tea/dinner breaks.
Even If I consider starting point as Koyembedu or Chennai central, Ulundurpet route would be shorter and quicker.
Sanoop.Patteri is offline   Reply With Quote