Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th February 2014, 14:14   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanoop.Patteri View Post
We can also try pallikkaranai - medavakkam Rd to avoid the Vandalur section and reach Guduvancheri.
Which road are you talking about? How can you avoid the Vandalur section and reach Guduvancheri directly?
rameshnanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 15:29   #182
BHPian

Take the Velachery Pallikkaranai Road ( Ocean Technology)
From Tambaram, Medavakkam, ECR junction - take the road towards Mambakkam and it will lead to Kelambakkam - Vandalur Rd ( Via Tagore Eng Colllege), from there it will connect to Urappakkam ( GST). There are sign boards placed on either sides.
You may end up doing 3 KMs extra but you can catch up the time in Vandalur Bypass as there will be no much traffic and this route would bypass the construction site.

You can also try nellikuppam Road to connect to Guduvanchery via vandalur Bypass itself( around 6 KMs extra than GST).

I tried the vandalur route couple of times and it helped to an extent. So please do not curse me if you find it useless.
Sanoop.Patteri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 07:58   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanoop.Patteri View Post
Take the Velachery Pallikkaranai Road ( Ocean Technology)
From Tambaram, Medavakkam, ECR junction - take the road towards Mambakkam and it will lead to Kelambakkam - Vandalur Rd ( Via Tagore Eng Colllege), from there it will connect to Urappakkam ( GST). There are sign boards placed on either sides.
You may end up doing 3 KMs extra but you can catch up the time in Vandalur Bypass as there will be no much traffic and this route would bypass the construction site.
I once drove on this till the Siththalapakkam lake/Nothenchery and found it to be good during weekends. It did not take more than 30 minutes from Velachery. But many Chennai folks said that Velachery-Medavakkam road is also clogged during peak hours. And I also found the road to narrow at some key places which can be potential choke points esp, around Medavakkam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 15:41   #184
BHPian

Hope people are referring to Velachery Vijayanagar junction. We can try couple of options to avoid Velachery,
Through GST -> take the Velachery Bypass 100ft road starts infront ( Officers Training academy) to reach the Pallikkaranai Road or take the outer ring road after pallavaram which will connect to Medavakkam Road.
If thru Adyar then via OMR and take the perungudi 100 Ft road connect to the Medavakkam road. These options may help to bypass the city traffic roads.
Yes, the medavakkam - Mambakkam Roads are narrow but less traffic. There will be no lights on the road so be little careful whilst trying this road in the night. Vandalur - Kelambakkam Bypass is a compact 4 lane road so you can reach urapakkam ( GST) easily.
Again, these are just possible options to bypass Tambaram, Perugulathur and Vandalur traffic during the peak hours. During the normal hours it is always best to take GST road unless you are located in these areas.
Sanoop.Patteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 09:25   #185
Senior - BHPian

Default Food options

Drove on this route over the weekend. Now, there are lot of food options. I am listing the ones which I spotted and had food. Assume that you are driving from Ulundurpet to Salem.

- Hotel Velappar. Located just after the Kallakurichi Toll (First toll on this stretch) on the left side. Looked decent. I did not try here.

- Hotel Ramas Cafe. Located at Attur Bypass (2 laned bypass) on the right hand side. Looked very very decent with ample car parking. You can't miss this. This is huge facility.

- Hotel Saravana Bavan (Asai Aasaiyay). Located just after the Vazhappadi Toll on the left side itself. I had dinner here. The quality/taste of food is very good. This will put A2B's into shame. I had one of the best filter coffee here. . (missed to mention that toilets here are very clean).

- Hotel Saravana Bhavan again. Located 4-5 from the previous facility on the left side itself. This also looked very very decent. This is located before the Salem bypass starts.

Some pictures of the Saravana Bhavan (Asai Asaiyaay) where I had dinner.

Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries-wp_20140223_009.jpg

Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries-wp_20140223_018.jpg

Last edited by rameshnanda : 24th February 2014 at 09:32.
rameshnanda is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 09:33   #186
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Food options

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Drove on this route over the weekend. Now, there are lot of food options. I am the ones which I spotted and had food. Assume that you are driving from Ulundurpet to Salem.
Are the two Sarvana Bhavans belonging to the same chain? (Not the main HSB). (As the ones present on NH7 Krishnagiri, Salem Bus-stand and Sankari)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 09:35   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are the two Sarvana Bhavans belonging to the same chain? (Not the main HSB). (As the ones present on NH7 Krishnagiri, Salem Bus-stand and Sankari)
I am quite certain that it belongs to the group in Salem. Not sure about the other Saravana Bavan which is located 5 kms. from the Toll. I will try to check next time. I will be frequenting to Salem in the next few weeks.
rameshnanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 10:00   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
These Saravanan BhavanS i.e. krishnangiri, Salem, sankari and these on the ullundurpet highway are run by brothers and relatives of the same group per Krishnagiri's saravana Bhavan owner. Menu and food seem to be quite decent and best alternative to A2B.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 10:16   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Drove on this route over the weekend. Now, there are lot of food options. I am listing the ones which I spotted and had food. Assume that you are driving from Ulundurpet to Salem.

- Hotel Velappar. Located just after the Kallakurichi Toll (First toll on this stretch) on the left side. Looked decent. I did not try here.

- Hotel Ramas Cafe. Located at Attur Bypass (2 laned bypass) on the right hand side. Looked very very decent with ample car parking. You can't miss this. This is huge facility.

- Hotel Saravana Bavan (Asai Aasaiyay). Located just after the Vazhappadi Toll on the left side itself. I had dinner here. The quality/taste of food is very good. This will put A2B's into shame. I had one of the best filter coffee here. . (missed to mention that toilets here are very clean).

- Hotel Saravana Bhavan again. Located 4-5 from the previous facility on the left side itself. This also looked very very decent. This is located before the Salem bypass starts.

Some pictures of the Saravana Bhavan (Asai Asaiyaay) where I had dinner.

Attachment 1211246

Attachment 1211247

I disagree that there are a LOT of facilities. There are like 5-6 decent eateries in 120km. Thats rather sad compared to most busy highways.

That said, I havent seen both HSBs. Will check them out.

Ramas cafe is deteriorating - their food was strictly average (we north indians prefer tiffin items or the heavy duty meals at HSB or sangeetha - this was quite barebones but VFM at rs 65.). They used to have a well stocked soft drinks section (red bull/tzinga and diet coke when we first went that way in oct - but nowadays it is half empty).
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 11:26   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I disagree that there are a LOT of facilities. There are like 5-6 decent eateries in 120km. Thats rather sad compared to most busy highways.
It all depends on what we expect.

For those who travel from Chennai-Salem/CBE have now got a decent eat out every 50 kms. There was no food option at all when this road was completed. Now that there are couple, this is definitely sufficient for people like me.
rameshnanda is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 17:19   #191
BHPian

Good to know that there are few eat outs available at the moment. It was deserted when I tried this route last september. I think there was only one restaurant near salem bypass, I do not recollect the name. I had breakfast there and the food was decent.
Sanoop.Patteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 10:23   #192

I plan to do Chennai to Coonoor next month with my family. My kids usually have a short fuze and cannot sit quiet for over 3-4 hours. Any suggestions for a good mid-route halt?
ganeshnag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 21:48   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
I plan to do Chennai to Coonoor next month with my family. My kids usually have a short fuze and cannot sit quiet for over 3-4 hours. Any suggestions for a good mid-route halt?
If you mean, halt for the day in between ? If yes, Salem is the perfect midway halt. Many hotels according to the budget.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 18:40   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
If you are planning to do a straight trip with halts for stretching legs and managing Kids' attention, then you may halt at Ulundurpet, Salem and at Mettupalayam and you have quite a few hotels at these places. But be informed of BlackThunder at the start of Mettupalayam Ghat section which may not escape the eyes of your kids.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 17:09   #195
BHPian

How is the Salem - Attur- Ulundurpet - Chennai route? Is it 4 laned all the way? To get to Anna Nagar, is it a good option to take the Chennai bypass (ring road)?
Thanks in advance.
Mnjdnght is offline   Reply With Quote