Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th June 2014, 18:18   #196
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
How is the Salem - Attur- Ulundurpet - Chennai route?
Good; but eating options are limited.

Quote:
Is it 4 laned all the way?
Except for the bypasses of towns, it is fully 4-laned. All the bypasses are two-laned. So, be careful at the bypasses, when the 2-lanes of the carriageway merge into one.

Quote:
To get to Anna Nagar, is it a good option to take the Chennai bypass (ring road)?
Yes. Continue on NH 45. After crossing Vandalur, you will come to a T-junction. The right one will take you to Tambaram and into Chennai city. The straight one will take you on Chennai bypass to Maduravoyal on NH 4, where you have to get down the exit ramp and go towards Anna Nagar.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 10:35   #197
BHPian

Quote:
How is the Salem - Attur- Ulundurpet - Chennai route? Is it 4 laned all the way? To get to Anna Nagar, is it a good option to take the Chennai bypass (ring road)?
Thanks in advance.
Route is good all through and may end up saving some kms if you are going closer to Tambaram side or OMR/ECR. major issue as pointed out by Mr. Ravi, no decent restaurant options between Salem and Ulundurpet except one or two. Yesterday I had taken this route towards coimbatore and actually had my dinner at Vasantha bhavan , vikravaandi ahead of my usual timing for fear of this lack of options.
Gokrish is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 13:06   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is the Salem - Attur- Ulundurpet - Chennai route? Is it 4 laned all the way? To get to Anna Nagar, is it a good option to take the Chennai bypass (ring road)?
Thanks in advance.
Yes. Its a well done road. Some small sections are still 2-lane. But all in all worth it. There enough eating options. Although not plenty, but enough to get the desired breaks at the desired places.

For Anna Nagar, yes the bypass is the perfect option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 18:00   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes. Its a well done road. Some small sections are still 2-lane. But all in all worth it. There enough eating options. Although not plenty, but enough to get the desired breaks at the desired places.

For Anna Nagar, yes the bypass is the perfect option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Route is good all through and may end up saving some kms if you are going closer to Tambaram side or OMR/ECR ...Yesterday I had taken this route towards coimbatore and actually had my dinner at Vasantha bhavan , vikravaandi ahead of my usual timing for fear of this lack of options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Good; but eating options are limited.

Except for the bypasses of towns, it is fully 4-laned. All the bypasses are two-laned. So, be careful at the bypasses, when the 2-lanes of the carriageway merge into one.

Yes. Continue on NH 45. After crossing Vandalur, you will come to a T-junction. The right one will take you to Tambaram and into Chennai city. The straight one will take you on Chennai bypass to Maduravoyal on NH 4, where you have to get down the exit ramp and go towards Anna Nagar.
Thank you. I'll post my experience after the trip. For eating options, I may end up packing some take away and have a picnic lunch en route!
Mnjdnght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 19:29   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you. I'll post my experience after the trip. For eating options, I may end up packing some take away and have a picnic lunch en route!
That is one thing which I now miss thanks to 4-lane. We can never say, we took a nice lunch under the tree by the road. You will have to park along the road.

But there many places, that you may not need to pack food.

Tindivanam : Aryas and Vasantha Bhavan
Ulundurpet : A2B

Couple of Sarvana Bhavans (not the HSB) along the Ulundurpet-Salem 4-lane.
Old 21st June 2014, 12:22   #201
BHPian

Short summary of the trip: Edappally - Trichur - Vadakkencherry - Pollachi - Palladam - Chengapalli - Salem - Ulundurpet - Chengalpet - Chennai bypass - Anna Nagar

685 KM, 10.5 hours, 6 stops (1.5 hours)

Edappally - Trichur: Nothing new to mention.
Trichur - Vadakkencherry - Road surface is good and is holding good during initial days of monsoon. Kuthiran does hold up traffic.
Vadakkencherry - Pollachi: I wanted to do Vadakkencherry - Palghat - Walayar but lost heart after seeing the traffic upto Vadakkencherry. The Pollachi road is smooth. Not much traffic except small congestion in towns en route till you cross Kollengode after which it gets better.
Pollachi - Palladam: Good roads and a breeze to drive.
Palladam - Chengapalli: Good roads. Though not much, traffic can hold up as you bypass Tirupur via the not so wide ring road.
Chengapalli - Salem: Nothing new here.
Salem - Ulundurpet: Good roads. 4 lane most of the way except bypasses for towns. There is a Red board indicating change from 4 lane to 2 lane but it comes almost at the end of 4 lane. All toll booths are functional now. There are eating options as mentioned in other posts on this thread. We didn't try those due to our timing.
Ulundurpet - Chennai bypass: Great roads. More traffic compared to other 4 lane stretches. Lot of eating options.
Chennai bypass - Anna Nagar: Great road. Almost like Nice road in Bangalore. Quick to get to Maduravoyal.
Maduravoyal - Anna Nagar: Heavy traffic on Poonamalee high road. Metro work has progressed and roads seem to have been patched up a bit.

Toll from Salem - Anna Nagar on this route came to 344 Rs. Toll from Salem - Anna Nagar through Krishnagiri comes to 375 Rs.
Mnjdnght is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:44   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Palladam - Chengapalli: Good roads. Though not much, traffic can hold up as you bypass Tirupur via the not so wide ring road.

Instead of Tiruppur, you should do, Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi bypass.

This is a breeze and would bypass Tiruppur totally.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 19:15   #203
BHPian

Quote:

I've been eyeing this for some time but I remember reading something against this option saying there is a bad stretch in between (railway over bridge work with a maze of detours to get back on route). But it was a while back or maybe I am confused with something else. Anyway, I'll try this option on my next drive. Thanks.
Mnjdnght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 09:38   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've been eyeing this for some time but I remember reading something against this option saying there is a bad stretch in between (railway over bridge work with a maze of detours to get back on route). But it was a while back or maybe I am confused with something else. Anyway, I'll try this option on my next drive. Thanks.
Its hardly 1-2 km of bad road. But it saves big on time because you don't have to go into Tiruppur. But not sure how bad it may turn out to be during night drives.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 13:40   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
That Mangalam railway work is still a big mess.

Palladam-Kangayam-Perundurai is still the best and it still puts any 4 laned road to shame!
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 21:10   #206
BHPian

May not be the correct thread to ask this query but please intimate the best route from Chennai to Conoor. Have to travel their next week-may do it either from Conoor to chennai or vice versa depending on the situation. Thank you in advance.
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 21:15   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
May not be the correct thread to ask this query but please intimate the best route from Chennai to Conoor. Have to travel their next week-may do it either from Conoor to chennai or vice versa depending on the situation. Thank you in advance.
Perfect thread to ask!

Chennai - Tindivanam - Ulundurpet - Attur - Vazpai - Salem - Perundurai - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Conoor.

4-lane roads all the way till Avinashi.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 18:08   #208
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What are the options and the recommended route to take for Chennai-Pollachi ?
How much time would this realistically take with a 9am start from Chennai T. Nagar on a sunday ?
Hope this is the right thread for this query.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 18:27   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What are the options and the recommended route to take for Chennai-Pollachi ?
How much time would this realistically take with a 9am start from Chennai T. Nagar on a sunday ?
Hope this is the right thread for this query.
- 5.5 to 6 Hours to Salem (330km) (Via Ullundurpet. No second thoughts here)
- 1.5/2 to Avinashi : 125 km
- 20km to Palladam (30 minutes)
- 45 minutes to Pollachi.
Old 21st September 2014, 20:39   #210
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- 5.5 to 6 Hours to Salem (330km) (Via Ullundurpet. No second thoughts here)
- 1.5/2 to Avinashi : 125 km
- 20km to Palladam (30 minutes)
- 45 minutes to Pollachi.
Thanks @ampere. Couple questions:
1. How are road conditions on Chennai-Ullundurpet-Salem route ?
2. Gmaps shows the Chennai-Tindivanam-Karur-Dharapuram-Pollachi as an option - how does that fare compared to the route above ?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote