Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th April 2011, 17:43   #46
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

Ramesh! Would suggest you try Sholinganallur - Thorapakkam - Pallavaram - Anakaputhur - Kunrathur - SriPerambadur if you are starting before 5 PM. You should be in Sri Perumbadur from Thoraipakkam in 70 mins. No major signals in between but the traffic moves at a slow pace.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 20:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Ramesh! Would suggest you try Sholinganallur - Thorapakkam - Pallavaram - Anakaputhur - Kunrathur - SriPerambadur if you are starting before 5 PM. You should be in Sri Perumbadur from Thoraipakkam in 70 mins. No major signals in between but the traffic moves at a slow pace.
Seems to be very interesting alternative to reach Sriperumbuthur from GST. But, the problem is, I am completely not familiar with the route and there are high chances that I may miss somewhere and that will end up in more time to reach Sriperumbuthur. However, I will still keep this option open. Thanks DWind.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 23:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Guys, are there any recent takers of Ulundurpet-Salem route? NHAI website tells that NH68 completion deadline is Jun'11. Is it still on track?
Attached Images

Old 27th May 2011, 00:18   #49
Team-BHP Support

I think the NHAI site is never up to date. I would not trust that data fully.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 00:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

@Amp - I agree. Their project information system says that 108 kms of total 136.36 kms is completed.

http://www.nhai.org/CPISMAR2011/13C....0of%20NHDP.pdf
Old 27th May 2011, 08:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Ramesh, From what I heard recently, it is not bad at all. Its still a WIP road, some sections like bridges, bypasses are still under construction. If you are doing it by broad daylight it might be worth a try once.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 08:12   #52
Team-BHP Support

Once 68 4L is up, then without doubt 45/68 combo would be the best and fastest to Salem. One can do much better timing here as compared to 4/46/7 as one would spend lot of time getting out of Chennai on NH4.

How good are eating joints on this stretch?
Old 27th May 2011, 08:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Once 68 4L is up, then without doubt 45/68 combo would be the best and fastest to Salem. One can do much better timing here as compared to 4/46/7 as one would spend lot of time getting out of Chennai on NH4.

I know the eating joints on the NH45 till Ulundurpet. We have Aryaas in Dindivanam, Villupuram and Ulundurpet. And A2B between Villupuram and Ulundurpet. Not sure about the eat outs on NH68. Definitely, we can expect some in this stretch too as this route will soon become the easy connectivity to western Tamilnadu as well (for Salem, Coimbatore, Erode, Tiruppur).
Old 27th May 2011, 10:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

There are enough and more eating joints until Ulundurpet.

Brindavan / Balaji Bhavan after Madurantagam
Highway Motel at Maduranthakam
Ganesh Bhavan / Vasantha Bhavan etc at Acharapakkam
3 Hotels near Tindivanam Byepass
Aryas & Ponnusamy at Villupuram Byepass
A2B & KPN before Ulundurpet

After Ulundurpet the entire stretch until Salem never had decent eating joints even when the road was good and the traffic (both personal & public) to Salem & Coimbatore used to take this route instead of the Krishnagiri route. I doubt you would have any now. May be once the 4 laning is done and traffic picks up we could get some options.

Even though NH46/68 combo could be in theory fastest, I have a feeling it may not be the best option to take up especially when coming back into Chennai as the stretch between Chengalpet & Tambaram is a killer.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 10:08   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I know the eating joints on the NH45 till Ulundurpet. We have Aryaas in Dindivanam, Villupuram and Ulundurpet. And A2B between Villupuram and Ulundurpet. Not sure about the eat outs on NH68. Definitely, we can expect some in this stretch too as this route will soon become the easy connectivity to western Tamilnadu as well (for Salem, Coimbatore, Erode, Tiruppur).
If there is some at Ulundrupet. I think that would be more than enough as its almost half the distance to Salem. One good break point is sufficient.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
If there is some at Ulundrupet. I think that would be more than enough as its almost half the distance to Salem.
I havent personally done. As of date, no town is bypassed, so you should find a joint or 2 on the way too. If you are concerned, A2B that is 5 km before Ulundurpet is a frequented joint just before this stretch. It is ~ 195 km from Madras and ~ 138 km from Salem (in old 2 lane avatar Trichy-Salem bifurcation at Ulundurpet is at 199 km mark from Madras, Salem was 133 from that point and Trichy was 120). 0-10 kms might've added up either way after 4-laning.

Quote:
A2B & KPN before Ulundurpet
Where is KPN ? Do you have to go in a little into Ulundurpet diversion ?

Quote:
Even though NH46/68 combo could be in theory fastest, I have a feeling it may not be the best option to take up especially when coming back into Chennai as the stretch between Chengalpet & Tambaram is a killer.
You meant NH45 I suppose Similar to Chengalattu-Tambaram, Sriperumbudur-Madras is bad too (though not that much compared to jams at Perungulathur, Vandalur).
Old 27th May 2011, 12:32   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You meant NH45 I suppose Similar to Chengalattu-Tambaram, Sriperumbudur-Madras is bad too (though not that much compared to jams at Perungulathur, Vandalur).
Yes I did mean 45. Sorry for that typo. So you mean GST is also bad on entry/exits from Chennai. That is news to me. I thought GST was much better compared to NH4.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes I did mean 45. Sorry for that typo. So you mean GST is also bad on entry/exits from Chennai. That is news to me. I thought GST was much better compared to NH4.
I still feel GST is better than Nh4. Last time when I came back from Salem, it took me 90 mins to do Sriperumbuthur to Maduravoyal.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Where is KPN ? Do you have to go in a little into Ulundurpet diversion ?

KPN is part of the IOC pump just before Ulundurpet on the right hand side. It used to be called Hotel Rajesh earlier.

I meant NH45, was a typo. I go to Mahindra World City almost twice a week even though the situation is far better these days still you get stuck once in a while all the way from Urappakkam to Perungulathur. On good days I take 90 minutes for 55 kms on some days I have taken almost 150 minutes for the same distance, even though 20 kms of this is through the Chennai byepass.

The other day when I was back from Villupuram took me more than an hour to reach Padi via the byepass from Vandalur. The problem with the Guduvancherry - Perungulathur stretch is that traffic hardly moves in case there is a jam contrary to the NH4 side where even if the volume is high the traffic constantly moves.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 13:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean GST is also bad on entry/exits from Chennai. That is news to me. I thought GST was much better compared to NH4.
Quote:
I still feel GST is better than Nh4. Last time when I came back from Salem, it took me 90 mins to do Sriperumbuthur to Maduravoyal.
Road condition of NH45 is much better than NH4. NH4 is pretty undulated. Here I was talking with respect to traffic. Off peak times has no issues either way. If you entering, exiting at peak hours (especially evening) its a pain.