Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd January 2012, 20:02   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

Took the same route for my return journey and as usual the road are very much decent. One more additional information to add is Attur Bypass is progressing very well and I believe it should be open in couple of months.
rameshnanda is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 19:31   #107
BHPian

Last week had a chance to do Chennai to Salem and back.
Took Chennai - Ulundurpet - Salem route forward and Salem-Krishnagiri-Chennai way back.
1. Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem: took 6 hrs 30 minutes to get ther in my Alto, with close to 30 minutes at A2B. The major problem was getting through Attur and Vazhapadi. Otherwise the route is 4 laned throughout. But would still be wary of using this road in night due to shift from 4 lanes to 2 lanes suddenly without adequate warning. You need to watch out really
2. Salem -Krishnagiri- Chennai - Took 6 hrs with some stopping at Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri. The Toppur Ghat section is relaid, is fresh and so helps speed. Otherwise the undulations in earlier road can sink in cars. Also they have removed speed breakers on the downslope. Not sure why. I thought they were helpful.
Overall this road is better except for sections near Kancheepuram where the patch work quality is really sub-standard.
My take: would use Ulundurpet road in daylight and Krishnagiri part otherwise.
vigneshA is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 19:35   #108
Senior - BHPian

Did this route again. Onward yesterday and return today. The good news is that the Attur bypass is now open. The only pending bypass in this section is Vazhapadi bypass. The road condition remains same. It took me 5 hours for onward (night drive) and 4.5 hours for the return including a 30 minute break at A2B, Ulundurpet.

I prefer this route to reach Salem than the Krishnagiri route for the following reasons.

1. The total distance from my home at Tambaram to my home at Salem in this route is 325 Kms. If it is Krishnagiri route, the distance goes to 380 Kms.

2. Less toll compared to the Krishnagiri route.

3. Almost Identical travel time.

4. Krishnagiri route is also becoming bit painful during night because of the ongoing 6 laning work.

I am happy with this Ulundurpet route for anytime travel.
rameshnanda is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 20:36   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I am happy with this Ulundurpet route for anytime travel.

Great to know that Attur bypass is up and running Ramesh.
Also there is no issue for a break as one take one at A2B at Ulundurpet.
Now lets hope the Vazhapadi bypass is also up and running soon.

Meanwhile, can you also confirm the following:

- The status of the bypass road leading from NH68 at Salem exit to NH7 and there on to NH47. Is it done?
- Status of toll collection on the 4L?
- Why you mention, toll on this route is less? May be because they have not started collection?
I thought tolls on 4L directly depend on distance and not sectors. Since you drive almost equivalent distance on the 4L
the toll amount should be same.

Is that right, or tolls do depend on sectors?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 21:31   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great to know that Attur bypass is up and running Ramesh.
Yes Amp. I was indeed relieved a lot to see that Attur bypass is open. Vazhappadi bypass is also progressing well. Should be open in 1-2 months max.

To answer your questions.

- The status of the bypass road leading from NH68 at Salem exit to NH7 and there on to NH47. Is it done?
To be precise, this NH has been renumbered to NH79 officially. There are signboards on this all over this NH. Work on the new Salem bypass is still on. The new bypass actually starts 3 kms. before Ayodhyapattinam in Salem instead of Udayapatti where the old bypass starts.

- Status of toll collection on the 4L?
In the whole stretch (from Ulundurpet-Salem), 3 tolls are coming up at Kallakurichi, Thalaivasal and Vazhappadi. None is open still.

- Why you mention, toll on this route is less? May be because they have not started collection?
Yes. Thats one reason too. On the whole, I currently pay 20+20+62+40 (Chengalput, Dindivanam, Vikravandi, Ulundurpet) totaling to Rs. 162. If I were to take krishnagiri route, tolls happens to be 30+30+30+40+60+73+58 totaling more than Rs. 300. Again, we need to wait for the Tolls in NH79 to open. Also, I think the tolls also depend on the sectors.
rameshnanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 23:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

Here's some update.

Salem-Attur is almost 80% complete. Two flyovers are still under construction and that's the major pain point in this section now. But, definitely doable.

The good news is that the Vazhappadi bypass is also opened now. With this all the bypasses from Salem to Ulundurpet is now open .
rameshnanda is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:42   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Here's some update.

Salem-Attur is almost 80% complete. Two flyovers are still under construction and that's the major pain point in this section now. But, definitely doable.

The good news is that the Vazhappadi bypass is also opened now. With this all the bypasses from Salem to Ulundurpet is now open .
I'm planning to do an Ooty trip around May 24th. I was thinking of taking the Krishnagiri route to Salem from Chennai and onwards to Mettupalayam and Coonoor because two years back when I was on a trip to Yercaud I found the Ulundurpet route very difficult. Do you suggest I take the Ulundurpet route and save some time (compared to the Krishnagiri route) in spite of two flyovers still under construction?
deepakchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:54   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I'm planning to do an Ooty trip around May 24th. I was thinking of taking the Krishnagiri route to Salem from Chennai and onwards to Mettupalayam and Coonoor because two years back when I was on a trip to Yercaud I found the Ulundurpet route very difficult. Do you suggest I take the Ulundurpet route and save some time (compared to the Krishnagiri route) in spite of two flyovers still under construction?
Yes. I would suggest you to take Ulundurpet route instead of Krishnagiri route for the following reasons.

1. Less distance to reach Salem
2. Less tolls. (Toll booths are not yet open from Ulundurpet-Salem)
3. Krishnagiri route is not silky smooth anymore. Six laning work is on and you will end up with lot of diversions.

The best route for you would be,
Chennai-Villupuram-Ulundurpet-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty
rameshnanda is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 16:08   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda

2. Less tolls. (Toll booths are not yet open from Ulundurpet-Salem)
Is there no way to avoid the toll at trichy expressway ("start" as per signs) just before turning right to Ulundurpet? Vehicles from Chennai turning right to salem hardly uses couple of kms after this toll, but still have to pay those!!
ThePunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 19:00   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Is there no way to avoid the toll at trichy expressway ("start" as per signs) just before turning right to Ulundurpet? Vehicles from Chennai turning right to salem hardly uses couple of kms after this toll, but still have to pay those!!
No. There is no other option. You will have to pay the toll at Ulundurpet. Once the road is completely done from Ulundurpet-Salem, you will be paying toll at 3 booths (Kallakurichi, Thalaivasal, Vazhappadi) in this stretch.
Old 14th May 2012, 19:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why you mention, toll on this route is less? May be because they have not started collection?
I thought tolls on 4L directly depend on distance and not sectors. Since you drive almost equivalent distance on the 4L
the toll amount should be same.

Is that right, or tolls do depend on sectors?
The distance via Ulundurpet is 331 km (198 to Ulundurpet + 133 to Salem) and via Krishnagiri is 366 km (258 to Krishnagiri and 108 to Salem) from Madras zero point. Moreover Ulundurpet-Salem route doesn't have a terrain to deal with against Thoppur ghat.

Even with the 3 upcoming tolls, I dont think it'd be more than Krishnagiri route.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 18:22   #117
BHPian

Quote:
No. There is no other option. You will have to pay the toll at Ulundurpet. Once the road is completely done from Ulundurpet-Salem, you will be paying toll at 3 booths (Kallakurichi, Thalaivasal, Vazhappadi) in this stretch.
I tried Chennai (A) Avinashi (B) Mettupalayam (C) as three destinations in Google Maps. I think thats the route you are referring to right? It doesn't show as NH 68. The Salem Ulundurpet highway is marked as NH 79 in google maps. Anyway if I search for NH 68 specifically also it is showing the same road. So I think I'll be on the right track. Thanks. I will update the thread once I reach Ooty next week.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:41   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried Chennai (A) Avinashi (B) Mettupalayam (C) as three destinations in Google Maps. I think thats the route you are referring to right? It doesn't show as NH 68. The Salem Ulundurpet highway is marked as NH 79 in google maps. Anyway if I search for NH 68 specifically also it is showing the same road. So I think I'll be on the right track. Thanks. I will update the thread once I reach Ooty next week.
Salem-Ulundurpet NH was NH68. Not anymore. As part of the national highways renumbering, it has been renumbered to NH79.

Our good old NH7 has also been renumbered to NH44 .
Old 17th May 2012, 09:48   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Ramesh mentions, now dont go by numbers for the time being. Most people remember the old number
(me included) and would help you with these numbers in mind.

And with them if you try to find the route in google you wont, because as Ramesh said, NHAI is changing
to a different nomenclature.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2012 at 09:50.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 16:38   #120
BHPian

Oh ok. Then NH79 is what I should keep following on google in case I go wrong somewhere. I heard about this place called Just Coffee or something like that near madhuranthagam. Anyone has paid a visit there? I will be heading out at 5am from Chennai. If anybody is familiar with the place I would like to know when they open.