Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 12:55   #211
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,429
Thanked: 8,299 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Are you referring to the following route (marked in the picture)?
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-vellore_bypass.jpg
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 14:22   #212
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 552
Thanked: 170 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you referring to the following route (marked in the picture)?
Attachment 505618
Exactly. Thats the same route. I came back from Padavedu to Bangalore using this route. Quite decent road and scenic as well.
prabhuferrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:31   #213
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 552
Thanked: 170 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Exactly. Thats the same route. I came back from Padavedu to Bangalore using this route. Quite decent road and scenic as well.
Am planning to take this route coming weekend.

Blr-krishnagiri-pallikonda-take right and reach arani road -arani-vandavasi-tindivanam-panruti-mayavaram.

Makes sense or downright crazy. Please advice.
prabhuferrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:49   #214
BHPian
 
ramanan.skr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Am planning to take this route coming weekend.

Blr-krishnagiri-pallikonda-take right and reach arani road -arani-vandavasi-tindivanam-panruti-mayavaram.

Makes sense or downright crazy. Please advice.
Arni - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Ensure atleast drivable roads are there as they are typical SH, Also I struggled an year back taking this route to reach ECR & also I feel this is round-about to reach Mayavaram.

My suggestion would be
BLR - "T-BHP Found" Vellore Byepass - Polur - T'malai - T'kolur - Ulundurpet - (Bad Roads) - Vridachalam - JayakondaCholapuram- Anakarai - (Bad Roads) - Adudurai - Mayavaram.

This route has atleast 30+ KM of bad roads post Vellore.
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:15   #215
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,429
Thanked: 8,299 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Am planning to take this route coming weekend.

Blr-krishnagiri-pallikonda-take right and reach arani road -arani-vandavasi-tindivanam-panruti-mayavaram.

Makes sense or downright crazy. Please advice.
For Mayavaram, its not worth it. Go via Trichy as I mentioned in the other thread.

Blr-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Mayavaram
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 13:45   #216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

I will put my money on Arni --> Gingee --> Tindivanam having driven in this segment about 15 days back. Except for a stretch of 10 kms after arni, the road is pretty good, ofcourse, driving thru arni is another dampener. I also read in some thread the Arni --> Vandawasi -- Tindivanam is also good but for initial hiccups at Arni. I had noticed a byepass at Arni, if that takes to the vandawasi SH without having to enter ARni Town, it could be worthwhile taking the route.
karanp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 14:19   #217
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,429
Thanked: 8,299 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanp23 View Post
I will put my money on Arni --> Gingee --> Tindivanam having driven in this segment about 15 days back. Except for a stretch of 10 kms after arni, the road is pretty good, ofcourse, driving thru arni is another dampener. I also read in some thread the Arni --> Vandawasi -- Tindivanam is also good but for initial hiccups at Arni. I had noticed a byepass at Arni, if that takes to the vandawasi SH without having to enter ARni Town, it could be worthwhile taking the route.
I am not sure if there are good hotels/break areas on this stretch. If going via Tiruvannamalai, it would have been good. But since that stretch is bad, the other stretch (via Arani) suffers from scarcity of hotels. From that reason alone, I would take the route via Salem, if going with family.

If you know of any can you please mention? That would good to know.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:36   #218
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

This is a bit off topic, but I am taking a BLR-Yeracaud-pondy-BLR trip next week.
I am confused with the various options of Yeracaud-Pondy:

1. Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet-viluppuram-pondy (nh66) - shortest (but worst?)
2. Salem - krishnagari- changam-T'malai-Tindivanam-Pondy (longer but equally bad ?)
3. Salem - krishnagari - Vellore-Kanchipuram-chengalpettau-Pondy (good route but insanely long ?)

Has anyone done the Salem-Pondy route recently ?
insane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 19:22   #219
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,429
Thanked: 8,299 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane2010 View Post
Has anyone done the Salem-Pondy route recently ?
There is an option I hope, which is use SH to directly hit Tiruvannamalai from Salem.

At Dharmapuri there is a diversion for Tiruvannamalai, which I think goes via Sathanur dam. Though I have not gone all the way, but while going to Sathanur dam from Tiruvannamalai, I saw boards about SH to Dharmapuri (and I think even Salem).

So once past Tiruvannamalai, NH66 is much better till Tindivanam (as compared to Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai).

EDIT: NOTE: I am aware of road condition from Tiruvannamalai till Sathanur. The road looked good and I felt would be good till Dharampuri. But I dont know the exact status. I am not aware of Salem-Harur stretch.

Here are the two routes:

Directly From Salem


Via Dharmapuri

Last edited by ampere : 3rd March 2011 at 19:27.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 19:36   #220
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is an option I hope, which is use SH to directly hit Tiruvannamalai from Salem.

At Dharmapuri there is a diversion for Tiruvannamalai, which I think goes via Sathanur dam. Though I have not gone all the way, but while going to Sathanur dam from Tiruvannamalai, I saw boards about SH to Dharmapuri (and I think even Salem).

So once past Tiruvannamalai, NH66 is much better till Tindivanam (as compared to Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai).

EDIT: NOTE: I am aware of road condition from Tiruvannamalai till Sathanur. The road looked good and I felt would be good till Dharampuri. But I dont know the exact status. I am not aware of Salem-Harur stretch.

Here are the two routes:

Directly From Salem


Via Dharmapuri

Thanks for the Tip ! I finally did the Salem - Attur - Undalpet - pondy route - 4 Laning is in progress in this route, and there are sections which are under repair - but on the whole the stretch is not bad.
insane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 21:24   #221
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,429
Thanked: 8,299 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane2010 View Post
Thanks for the Tip ! I finally did the Salem - Attur - Undalpet - pondy route - 4 Laning is in progress in this route, and there are sections which are under repair - but on the whole the stretch is not bad.
I did not suggest go via Attur. What I meant was deviate from Dharmapuri and reach Tiruvannamalai from a different route (through a SH). Beyond Tiruvannamalai, the road (NH66) is not that bad till Tindivanam.
Someone should try this option. I think it may turn out to be much better.

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2011 at 21:26.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 17:04   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I did not suggest go via Attur. What I meant was deviate from Dharmapuri and reach Tiruvannamalai from a different route (through a SH). Beyond Tiruvannamalai, the road (NH66) is not that bad till Tindivanam.
Someone should try this option. I think it may turn out to be much better.
The route which you are suggesting would let you join the Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai road at R S Mathur which would save you only about 20 kms of trouble on NH 66. I think the Salem - Harur - Uthangarai - Tiruvannamalai route would be a better option though the road conditions may not be great.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 17:26   #223
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,429
Thanked: 8,299 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The route which you are suggesting would let you join the Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai road at R S Mathur which would save you only about 20 kms of trouble on NH 66. I think the Salem - Harur - Uthangarai - Tiruvannamalai route would be a better option though the road conditions may not be great.
There is a Tiruvannamalai-Dharamapuri SH which goes via Harur.

I meant the following route:

Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu to Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 18:12   #224
Kay
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Hi All,

Just wanted to update the route taken recently on 10th March 2011.

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchipuram-Chengalpattu-Tindivanam-Pondicherry
  • Bangalore to Krishnagiri (NH7) - Great road.
  • Krishnagiri to Kanchipuram (NH46) - Great road.
  • Kanchipuram to Chengalpattu (SH58) - 2 lane road so speeds up to 70-80 is fine. Good shade on both the sides of the road. Quality of the road would be 3.5 on a scale of 5.
  • Chengalpattu to Tindivanam (NH45) - Great road.
  • Tindivanam to Pondicherry (NH66) - Great road.
Just about 9 hours with 1 1/2 hours of breaks.

Total KMS - 423.

-Kay.
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 09:47   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is a Tiruvannamalai-Dharamapuri SH which goes via Harur.

I meant the following route:

Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu to Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
I am not sure about the road conditions between Harur & Thiruvannamalai, there are regular buses which ply between Dharmapuri - Harur while its not the case between Tiruvannamalai & Harur, nevertheless it would be a good thing to check it out once.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rajahmundry to Pondicherry : Route Queries penpusher Route / Travel Queries 11 11th November 2015 08:47
Bangalore-Pondicherry : Best route to take? binz Route / Travel Queries 4 27th May 2009 10:04
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks