Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th March 2012, 18:40   #511
BHPian

Default Re: How to bypass the dreaded Tindivanam without pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Here are some details of my Pondy drive last week-end. Hope these points will be helpful !
Please note that I am an extremely slow driver and so you may surely better this timings. Check with regulars on this route and they can vouch for a 5-6 hours drive. The 2L part is about 95 kms and you can easily do 80+ kmph speed (and cover this in less than 90 minutes) in the current situation except when you are crossing Vandavasi and a couple of relatively big villages on the route.

This route was smooth all the way. did on Ritz last week and was able to zoom through arcot to tindivanam. Directions are spot on. There was no escaping vandavasi bus stand & market, this was too narrow and did consume time. the route was pleasant. I hope there is a vandavasi byepass under works, saw a ring road type formation -but locals told me that i have to go via town.

Started at 6.30am and landed at 1.10 -one can do faster, but the road was a pleasant drive to enjoy.
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 10:36   #512

Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

I did a weekend trip to Pondy last weekend (21st). The onward drive was along the Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondy route (Route1). But we came back (contrary to all advise I had read on team bhp) along the Tindivanam-Gingee-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri route (Route2).

Route 1 is great till Vellore after which the roads start getting narrow and very crowded. There is a lot of driving through small towns and this eats into time and patience. The entire stretch (door to door) was done in about 6 hours.

Route 2 was done more out of a spirit of adventure than anything else and against all advise I read on team bhp. It is 60 or so km shorter than Route 1. I found none of the descriptions I saw on team bhp like it being "bombed out" to be true. The road has some surfacing issues in patches, yes, but would I consider that to be reason alone to take a completely different AND longer route, no.

The worst that Route 2 has to offer is a brief patch just before Krishnagiri but this too isn't too bad, except for the odd pothole here or there the road is by and large ok. Stop at Gingee fort if you have the time, it is a truly stunning fortification.

It took about a an hour less to reach Bangalore on Route 2.

Route 2 is definitely worth consideration especially since there are patchy roads along certain stretches of Route 1 as well. Plus Route 2 is much shorter. OR you can always do what I did, take one route each way and see for yourselves.
Arion003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 14:28   #513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion003 View Post
Route 2 is definitely worth consideration especially since there are patchy roads along certain stretches of Route 1 as well. Plus Route 2 is much shorter. OR you can always do what I did, take one route each way and see for yourselves.
The only reason it was unpopular is not because its very bad. Its more so because it was very unpredictable.
You would be cruising at 60-80 and suddenly out of know you will hit a pothole, may be not deep, but enough
to damage the shockers bit by bit.

If Tiruvannamalai-Gingee-Tindivanam is good, the you should try :

Pondicherry-Tindivanam-Gingee-Harrur-Morrappur-Karimanagalam (join NH7 here) -Krishnagiri-Bangalore.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 18:50   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only reason it was unpopular is not because its very bad. Its more so because it was very unpredictable.
You would be cruising at 60-80 and suddenly out of know you will hit a pothole, may be not deep, but enough
to damage the shockers bit by bit.
True. i had my ritz graze against a pothole, just sudden, and smashed the oil filter. we were clocking 50 odo, unfortunately the leak and repair stranded us couple of hours on the road -not a pleasant feeling on desolate stretch
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 20:48   #515

I took both the routes in my last weekend trip from bangalore. route 1 ( via vellore ) with a small change . Wifey wanted to visit golden temple, so after darshan we went straight to vandavasi via Arni skipping Arcot . This route is very good if goldentemple is on your list . busy streets of vellore and arcot can be avoided .vellore vandavasi road is good and least used.

while coming back , used route 2 (via tiruvannamalai). avoid this even if 60 km difference tempts you. This hardly saves time, money may be.

P.S. petrol in pondy is 64rs . almost emptied tank before reaching there and did a tank full
mechaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 07:29   #516
BHPian

Did a day trip to Pondy yesterday. Took Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Gingee - Tindivanam route. Road surely has been patched up. Last I used this route was in November 2011 and it was completely in tatters (took about 45 minutes to cover 20km from Chennai highway). I'd say that while it has been patched up, the ride is bumpy and one tends to loose time at Uthangarai, Tiruvannamalai and Gingee due to crowds. Vandavasi route, IMHO is smoother ride and only Vandavasi town is crowded.

But TVM route does take lesser time. I started at 7:30am from Bangalore and reached Pondy at 1:15pm after a breakfast break. Started back at 4pm and reached Silkboard at 10pm with no breaks. Leisurely driving.

Here are the places you need to keep in mind for huge potholes on TVM route. 13km from Krishnagiri toll, you will reach a village called Jagadevi. From there till next 4 km have 4 huge craters on the road, each about 1km apart. Other than that, rest of the route is fine and you can cruise at 60-70kmph on a small car.

HTH
vsbabu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:58   #517
BHPian

Default Blr-Pondy-Neyveli-Blr

Friends,
Planning to do Blr-Pondy-Neyvali-Blr.Need your valuable suggestions to finalize the routes.
On 1st June 2012 (friday), would be starting from BLR by 11PM.
Return leg would be on 3rd June 2012 by 11 PM to Bangalore from Neyveli
Car: i10.

For blr-pondy, I have following options in my mind.
Option1: blr-krishnagiri-arcot-cheyyar-vandavasi-thellar-tindivanam-pondy (373 kms - as per ajith's excellent post with very clear directions)
Pros: good roads
Cons: longer by 60 KM compared to route2.
Currently more tilted towards this option, as per recent updates.

Option2: blr-krishnagiri-T.V.Malai-Pondy (310 kms)
Pros: shortest route.
Cons: unpredictable road conditions.
As per vsbabu's post, if its just 4 KM stretch that is pothole ridden and I have to be careful, its fine. Could someone please confirm if this is doable during night time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
13km from Krishnagiri toll, you will reach a village called Jagadevi. From there till next 4 km have 4 huge craters on the road, each about 1km apart. Other than that, rest of the route is fine and you can cruise at 60-70kmph on a small car.
Option3: Blr-Vellore-Gingee-Tindivanam-Pondy (365 kms)
Got this route in google maps.
How is Vellore-Gingee-Tindivanam stretch?Has any one tried this?

For return leg (Neyveli to Blr), what would be the best route?
Google map suggested route is Neyveli-Panruti-T.V.Malai-Krishnagiri-Blr (315 kms).
To avoid T.V.Malai-Krishnagiri stretch, other option is to take Neyveli-Attur-Salem-Blr (358 kms).
But not sure how Neyveli-Attur-Salem stretch is currently. Could someone update on this stretch, please?

Last edited by nfsfreak : 22nd May 2012 at 17:00.
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:58   #518
BHPian

Default Re: Blr-Pondy-Neyveli-Blr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,
As per vsbabu's post, if its just 4 KM stretch that is pothole ridden and I have to be careful, its fine. Could someone please confirm if this is doable during night time?
It is not really pothole ridden, just that you would've encountered 4 wide cuts across the road. If you are at a higher speed, you will get a jolt! I took this route again couple of weeks ago. Looks like they had filled all these up with mud and stones (don't know if it rained afterwards!). If you just keep to about 50-60kmph during this stretch, you will be fine.

I drove the entire route at night. It was quite peaceful. I take this route now during day time drive - unlike the Vellore route, this route is full of trees and it is much more pleasant. Also, the traffic is very little on this route.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:03   #519
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Blr-Pondy-Neyveli-Blr

Quote:
For return leg (Neyveli to Blr), what would be the best route?
Google map suggested route is Neyveli-Panruti-T.V.Malai-Krishnagiri-Blr (315 kms).
To avoid T.V.Malai-Krishnagiri stretch, other option is to take Neyveli-Attur-Salem-Blr (358 kms).
But not sure how Neyveli-Attur-Salem stretch is currently. Could someone update on this stretch, please?
- I think you dont need to do Vellore-Gingee.
- You can either do Cheyyar-Arcot or Karimangalam-Morrapur-Harur-TVMalai-Gingee-Tindivanam. This route is also good.
(Route link)

- Neyveli-Attur :

Drive to Vridhachalam and ask for road to Veppur. At Veppur ask for road to Attur.
I think it would be about 70-80 when you see the 4-lane to Salem. See this update on the Attur -Salem 4-lane.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2783262
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:32   #520
BHPian

@vsbabu & Ampere, Thanks a lot for the suggestions/pointers.

Is there any CCD or decent 24x7 hotels in T.V.Malai-Pondy stretch and in Neyveli-Attur-Salem stretch (as I would be driving these stretch in late night)?
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:36   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is there any CCD or decent 24x7 hotels in T.V.Malai-Pondy stretch and in Neyveli-Attur-Salem stretch (as I would be driving these stretch in late night)?
I dont think there are any 24x7 hotels in TV Malai. They all close at night. There is a 5 start resort (Sparsha) in TV Malai, but its way off the road and its very
difficult to spot it. They may have a 24x7 cafe.

On the Attur-Salem, try the GRT at Salem. Since again its a 5-star (or 4-star?) they should have a 24x7 Cafe.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2012 at 18:56.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:58   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you don't mind trying out from small late night shops, then try out the idly shops near the Salem old bus stand. They will be mostly open till 12 AM or 1 AM.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 19:12   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On the Attur-Salem, try the GRT at Salem. Since again its a 5-star (or 4-star?) they should have a 24x7 Cafe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
If you don't mind trying out from small late night shops, then try out the idly shops near the Salem old bus stand.
They will be mostly open till 12 AM or 1 AM.
Thanks Ampere & rameshnanda for suggestions.

Could someone please suggest a beach resort in Pondy?
7 guys just for a day - Sat Noon to Sun Noon. The max we could spend is around 10K for acco (as we need the rest of our budget for you know what )
Plan is to find one when we reach Pondy but its good to have few decent places in mind before reaching there.
Old 31st May 2012, 20:21   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere & rameshnanda for suggestions.

7 guys just for a day - Sat Noon to Sun Noon. The max we could spend is around 10K for acco (as we need the rest of our budget for you know what )
Plan is to find one when we reach Pondy but its good to have few decent places in mind before reaching there.
The Dune is the best. May be bit expensive. See that if that fits your budget.
Pondicherry Beach Resorts : Dune Eco Village & Spa , The Dune Hotel, Eco Beach Hotel, Eco Tourism, Beach Resort , Pondicherry eco village & spa. - Wanacom, Welcome and Bienvenue.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 20:23   #525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check this out.
Hotel Kailash Beach Resort - Home Page

Don't know how good or bad it is, but heard about it.