Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 14:58   #76
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,477
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thanks for the info there. I know how the locales are on these highways. Since they do not have much dividers these people just lamely come on the fast lane.

Btw NH-66 between Tindivanam - Pondy is 4 lane or 2 lane?

I have booked near the botanical gardens so i would have to go through the town. Anyways I would be reaching pondy around 12am so traffic no issues
No 4L ! Only 2 Lane. But yes, I also thought TV Malai to Tindivanam is decent. Its only before TV Malai, which is nightmare.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 15:01   #77
BHPian
 
Lightening-Fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 249
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Before Tiruvanamali, there are roads in between potholes!!! You can barely cross 60KMPH in this stretch. Its important to get off to great start in terms of mood for any vacation and this can turn out to be that dampener. So avoid this stretch at all costs.
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 15:43   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Tindivanam - Pondy is 4L. It is 90-95% done, just a KM in T'vanam and about 2 KMs pending on Pondi side (as on Nov 1st)

TVMalai to T'Vanam was also good, some patches but overall very good. Again some diversions in T'Vanam town to reach Pondi road.

Slakhs
slakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 16:04   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default

Thanks all for the suggestions. The following is the finalized route.

Blore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondy

Total: 394 kms
Expected Time: 6.30 hrs

If i should change it to some other route suggestions are welcome.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by motomaverick : 1st December 2010 at 16:06.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 16:29   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 907
Thanked: 662 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
Tindivanam - Pondy is 4L. It is 90-95% done, just a KM in T'vanam and about 2 KMs pending on Pondi side (as on Nov 1st)

TVMalai to T'Vanam was also good, some patches but overall very good. Again some diversions in T'Vanam town to reach Pondi road.

Slakhs
This is correct. I went to Pondy in 2nd week of November'2010. Tindivanam-Pondy is almost done with 4L. Its a good drive, no hassles.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 18:30   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default

Any ideas about the route from Kanchipuram to Tindivanam? Its SH 116 & 5.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 18:37   #82
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,477
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Any ideas about the route from Kanchipuram to Tindivanam? Its SH 116 & 5.
Easiest is to get on to Chengelpet and take the 45.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 23:32   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Easiest is to get on to Chengelpet and take the 45.
So you mean to say take the SH58 to Chengelpet and from there the old NH45 to Tindivanam?

But isnt that a round route of about 30 kms. Any reasons for suggesting this route?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 23:51   #84
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,477
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So you mean to say take the SH58 to Chengelpet and from there the old NH45 to Tindivanam?

But isnt that a round route of about 30 kms. Any reasons for suggesting this route?
Even if its 30Km more, you get 4L of 45. Pleasure to drive.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:11   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even if its 30Km more, you get 4L of 45. Pleasure to drive.
Oh Ok cool so from Chengalpattu to Tindivanam is 4L? Then why does google maps mention it as "old nh 45"? Seeing that I completely ignored that route.

And another good part is from Tindivanam its again 90% 4L all the way to Pondicherry.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:15   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,477
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Oh Ok cool so from Chengalpattu to Tindivanam is 4L? Then why does google maps mention it as "old nh 45"? Seeing that I completely ignored that route.

And another good part is from Tindivanam its again 90% 4L all the way to Pondicherry.
Yes fully 4Laned.

Here are the NH45 stats.

Madras-Trichy is NH45 (Called Old NH45) : 4L
Trichy-Madurai - NH45B (4L)
Trichy-Dindigul (Called Old NH45 ) : 4L

Tindivanavam-Pondicherry-Chidambaram-Karaikal-Nagapatnam: NH45A
(4L almost completed for first Leg till Pondicherry)


Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Panruti : NH45C (No idean when they will 4L. But it has to happen).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:28   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes fully 4Laned.

Here are the NH45 stats.

Madras-Trichy is NH45 (Called Old NH45) : 4L
Trichy-Madurai - NH45B (4L)
Trichy-Dindigul (Called Old NH45 ) : 4L

Tindivanavam-Pondicherry-Chidambaram-Karaikal-Nagapatnam: NH45A
(4L almost completed for first Leg till Pondicherry)


Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Panruti : NH45C (No idean when they will 4L. But it has to happen).
Pretty good info there ampere. I guess you travel more often in this sector?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:02   #88
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,477
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Pretty good info there ampere. I guess you travel more often in this sector?
Not so often, but been there many times. The place still tempts in spite of many visits!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:05   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

^^Just a minor correction. Tindivanam - Pondy is NH 66. It is Villupuram - Pondy which is part of NH 45A. After that Pondy - Cuddalore - Nagapattinam is NH 45A. I dont think there is any plan for 4L of NH45A

Slakhs
slakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:10   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,477
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
^^Just a minor correction. Tindivanam - Pondy is NH 66. It is Villupuram - Pondy which is part of NH 45A. After that Pondy - Cuddalore - Nagapattinam is NH 45A. I dont think there is any plan for 4L of NH45A

Slakhs
Thanks for that correction. Its indeed 66 till Pondicherry. My mistake.
But I think as a part of 45 they should be looking at 4L. Else they would not have named it 45a/b/c. I am not sure about it though.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rajahmundry to Pondicherry : Route Queries penpusher Route / Travel Queries 11 11th November 2015 08:47
Bangalore-Pondicherry : Best route to take? binz Route / Travel Queries 4 27th May 2009 10:04
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks