Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 20:04   #1021
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Hey guys i'm not sure if anybody has mentioned about this route recently, but just wanted information on the NH66 route via Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Thindivanam - Pondi (325KM). Which is lesser by about 50KM than Arcot route.
This seems to be the shortest route of all. It would be helpful if anybody who has done this route can give information on the road conditions if i take NH66.
Its the shortest in distance but longest on headaches. That used to be the default route for all. Later every one started using alternatives, because NH66 is so pathetic between Krishnagiri and Tiruvannamalai. Thats the reason, you dont see any comments about that route for the last few pages.

Its supposed to re-tarred, but that has been on cards for quite some time.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 20:33   #1022
BHPian
 
sridhar24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 951
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its the shortest in distance but longest on headaches. That used to be the default route for all. Later every one started using alternatives, because NH66 is so pathetic between Krishnagiri and Tiruvannamalai. Thats the reason, you dont see any comments about that route for the last few pages.

Its supposed to re-tarred, but that has been on cards for quite some time.
Thats true shortest isn't always the best route. Even I prefer the better route than the shortest one, so i guess i'll also take the advise and choose the Arcot route. Thanks for the useful piece of information
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 14:00   #1023
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitbhanu View Post
Hi - @ Fillmore - Is this new route intuitive and easy to follow? Google maps show that we need to take the "right" diversion from the Y junction, go little ahead and take a "U" turn and then take the left turn which takes us on the road parallel to the dry river bed.

Is my understanding right here? Any specific pointers you can share which might be helpful in searching the exact place for the U turn?
Sorry I was out of station and did not check any updates.
Not sure if you have already completed your trip by now.

It is not confusing, you can easily figure it out. There is just a small traffic island that you need to go around.

-Fillmore.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 18:18   #1024
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 940
Thanked: 291 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Planing new year break at Pondy, will go by my Corolla. Guys suggestions greatly needed for which route is good for my car too.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 18:21   #1025
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Planing new year break at Pondy, will go by my Corolla. Guys suggestions greatly needed for which route is good for my car too.
Pretty much what others have been taking over the last year. Krishnagiri Arcot Cheyyar Vandasi Tindivanam Pondicherry.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 13:31   #1026
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: Once
Default

Folks - Just returned from a 4 day trip from Pondicherry. Travelled in my Laura DSG.

While going, took the Krishnagiri-Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route. Traffic was sparse on 26th Dec morning. We started from Outer Ring Road (near Intel) at 7 AM and reached Zest Big Beach at 12.30 PM. 5.5 hours, which included a 20 minute break at Mc Donalds before Krishnagiri.

While returning took the Poindicherry-Tindivanam-Cheyyar-Ranipet-Chitoor-Mulbagal-Hoskote-Bangalore route as had to drop some friends at BIAL. This route was pretty good as well. Road condition is good all through, however its a 2 lane highway till Mulbagal so that reduces the avg speed. The route is very picturesque. We started from Zest at 10.30 AM and were at BIAL at 6 PM, this included a 45 mins break at CCD near Chitoor.

If anyone needs any further details, I will be happy to share my inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Sorry I was out of station and did not check any updates.
Not sure if you have already completed your trip by now.

It is not confusing, you can easily figure it out. There is just a small traffic island that you need to go around.

-Fillmore.
Hi Fillmore - Tx for your response. Yes have completed the trip. I couldn't spot this turn, so went on the bridge and then took the U turn. Fortunately it didnt mean much of an extra travel!!

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st December 2013 at 11:24. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.
chitbhanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 21:23   #1027
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,078
Thanked: 2,353 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

After reading through the last few pages on this thread, decided to take Krishnagiri-Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route next weekend. Any latest updates on road conditions and things to watch out for??
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 21:43   #1028
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
After reading through the last few pages on this thread, decided to take Krishnagiri-Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route next weekend. Any latest updates on road conditions and things to watch out for??
If you start late and see crowd at A2B or CCD etc, don't stop at Shoolagiri. Continue further and go past Pallikonda toll. You have a CCD on the opposite side of the road at about 5-6km past the toll. The CCD location also houses Hotel Aryas. Its a decent place. Not as good as A2B, but anyday better to the crowd that you may have to deal at Shoolagiri.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 22:03   #1029
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,078
Thanked: 2,353 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start late and see crowd at A2B or CCD etc, don't stop at Shoolagiri.
Plan to start at 6 am from cunningham road. prefer the Kamat over A2B or CCD.
Quote:
Continue further and go past Pallikonda toll. You have a CCD on the opposite side of the road at about 5-6km past the toll.
Have been there. This is permanent fixture on my Chennai - Bangalore route as it has a very clean loo
Quote:
The CCD location also houses Hotel Aryas
Hote Aaryas is just after the toll (when driving from Chennai) while the CCD is further ahead. The food at Aaryas is no nonsense south indian fare.
Good on price and quality
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 15:42   #1030
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 76 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start late and see crowd at A2B or CCD etc, don't stop at Shoolagiri. Continue further and go past Pallikonda toll. You have a CCD on the opposite side of the road at about 5-6km past the toll. The CCD location also houses Hotel Aryas. Its a decent place. Not as good as A2B, but anyday better to the crowd that you may have to deal at Shoolagiri.
Where exactly is Shoolagiri?

I am planning to travel on 24th from Bamgalore. Starting from Bangalore at 5:00PM. Can you suggest some restaurants for dinner. I dont know where I will reach by dinner time.
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 15:52   #1031
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Where exactly is Shoolagiri?

I am planning to travel on 24th from Bamgalore. Starting from Bangalore at 5:00PM. Can you suggest some restaurants for dinner. I dont know where I will reach by dinner time.
Shoolagiri is the place where you have A2B, CCD, MacDonalds etc on the NH7 after Hosur. You would know it very well. Just that the place is called Shoolagiri!
I think if you are on Hosur by 5PM, I think you reach here by 6 to 6:30. You may want to pack some thing and move on, while having a coffee break. Thats much better I would say.

Last edited by ampere : 15th January 2014 at 15:54.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 16:11   #1032
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 76 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Shoolagiri is the place where you have A2B, CCD, MacDonalds etc on the NH7 after Hosur. You would know it very well. Just that the place is called Shoolagiri!
I think if you are on Hosur by 5PM, I think you reach here by 6 to 6:30. You may want to pack some thing and move on, while having a coffee break. Thats much better I would say.
Thanks ampere. Are there any good restaurants in Vellore?

We are expecting to reach Pondy by 11:00PM. Is this too optimistic?
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 16:26   #1033
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Thanks ampere. Are there any good restaurants in Vellore?

We are expecting to reach Pondy by 11:00PM. Is this too optimistic?
Vellore has the best one! Saravana Bhavan. But you will have to spot the place. You need to get off the 4-lane. On the 4-lane there Aryas after Pallikonda Toll. (Here)

But of late I have seen quite many hotels on the highway after Krishnagiri.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 19:53   #1034
BHPian
 
Geo_Ipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vellore
Posts: 386
Thanked: 318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post

Thanks ampere. Are there any good restaurants in Vellore?
Vellore has an Aaryas, just by the highway. You'll need to take the second Vellore exit to the left. You'll find it by the service road. Ample car parking available too.

Saravana Bhavan is way off the highway. Will be time consuming and difficult to find.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 11:47   #1035
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 431 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Hi Guys, this is the first time I will be visiting Pondy. I plan to take the Old Madras road from CV raman Nagar. route:- Kolar chitoor Ranipet Arcot Cheyyar vandavasi Tindivanam P'cherry

For me it would reduce time going through the city to reach Krishnagiri. Admittedly my average speed on the 2 lane undivided rd would be slower from Mulbagal to Arcot as through the krishnagiri route which would be 4 lane. But there will be only 2 tolls here vs more number there.
Any updates on the road conditions on this route?
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rajahmundry to Pondicherry : Route Queries penpusher Route / Travel Queries 11 11th November 2015 08:47
Bangalore-Pondicherry : Best route to take? binz Route / Travel Queries 4 27th May 2009 10:04
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks