Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2014, 20:19   #1261
BHPian
 
TheDoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are heading to Pondicherry from Bangalore, its a big detour to go via Salem. The Arcot/Cheyyar option is definitely better. And given Vellore-Krishnagiri is a brilliant 6-lane, its even better!
I second that...btw I landed on the Salem route by mistake. Missed the deviation towards Krishnagiri and was misdirected towards 'Yercaud' on being asked the direction to 'Arcot'.
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 08:42   #1262
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default

How is the Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route compared to Vellore route?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 09:23   #1263
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,435
Thanked: 8,306 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How is the Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route compared to Vellore route?
There is no comparison. Fully broken and not worth taking. Even for Tiruvannamalai the better route is via Harur rather than the dread NH66.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 16:55   #1264
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How is the Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route compared to Vellore route?
Forget NH66 once for all. The preferred route will be via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Vellore,Polur and T V Malai.

One more option is Via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Kambainallur,Morappur,Harur,Than ipadi,TV Malai. In this route post Harur till T V Malai the drive is bit bump due to poor patchwork. Otherwise good to drive. I would vote for the latter.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 02:12   #1265
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 289 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Folks, any untoward incidents against KA registered cars?

Am planning a Pondi trip pretty soon
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 09:35   #1266
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Folks, any untoward incidents against KA registered cars?

Am planning a Pondi trip pretty soon
Untoward incidents . Nothing of that kind. You are safe to travel in your KA registered car to Pondicherry.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 21:22   #1267
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Planning Bangalore - Pondy - Chennai - Bangalore - starting Dec 25. Request suggestions on ideal route at current status. Also on suggested food breaks en-route.

I guess google maps does not show Cheyyar bye pass and Tindivanam bye pass...

I think the new Rajiv IT expressway (mamallapuram - Sardar Patel rd) is not fully complete (the full 45km) if I am not mistaken, so many not be worthwhile taking?

Thanks.
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 00:01   #1268
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Planning Bangalore - Pondy - Chennai - Bangalore - starting Dec 25. Request suggestions on ideal route at current status. Also on suggested food breaks en-route.

I guess google maps does not show Cheyyar bye pass and Tindivanam bye pass...

I think the new Rajiv IT expressway (mamallapuram - Sardar Patel rd) is not fully complete (the full 45km) if I am not mistaken, so many not be worthwhile taking?

Thanks.
The best route I would say is Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Thellar-Tindivanam-Pondicherry. This road is the one I take and I can vouch that it's the best option available.

Roads are pretty good.

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellor-Arcot : Laned highway
Arcot-Thindivanam- Single road, good road, and not much traffic.
Thindivanam-Pondy: 35 kms Laned highway


After taking the left at Krishangiri, hit straight to Vellore and then Arcot.

1. There is no need to get inside Arcot town. Right after Apollo hospitals in Arcot, there is a small junction with a high mast light. Your landmark shall be a SSS Arts and Science College on your left side. I guess its painted yellow in colour and hard to miss. Take the right into the junction and after 500 mts take a U-turn onto the road that is coming from Chennai, right before the bridge starts. And then immediately turn left. On that corner, you should see petrol pump(I guess its Bharat petroleum) on the right side..around 50 mts away.

2. Next would be Cheyyar. Right after you enter, there is a small bypass that lets you bypass Cheyyar. It would be on your right. There's a small tea-stall bang opposite to that right cut.

3. Next would be Vandavasi. Right before you are about to reach Vandavasi, there is a small fork. Take the right there. It looks like an awesome road laid out. Take that bypass and keep going until you hit a T dead end. Take the left and keep continuing until you see a bridge. Right before the bridge take the right.

4. Your next town should be Thindivanam. Again depending on the time of entering the city, you might find traffic and would add time to your journey. I would suggest bypassing it. Right before reaching Thindivanam, there's a left which says Chennai. Take it. Keep continuing on it for around 4kms and your should reach a T-end. On that T, take the right. Your are now on the Chennai-Thindivanam highway. Now on this road keep an eye for signs on the right. Right before a big flyover, take the service exit on your left. As you keep going this takes you to the Pondy-Thindivanam road. Its a 4-laned straight road all the way to Pondy!

To go to Chennai from Pondy you can go via ECR or come back to Thindivanam and then to Chennai. I prefer the latter because its a laned highway. But it also has a good traffic as well. I have never tried ECR but as far as I know its a single lane road. And its a very beautiful ride considering that it runs parallel to the coast. But take into account your point of entry into Chennai and your final destination.

AH-45 Chennai to Bangalore via Vellore one straight road and awesome condition(I last travelled in August.) The other road is via Chittoor. I have heard that road is good as well but is single lane in couple of stretches but traffic is much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Untoward incidents . Nothing of that kind. You are safe to travel in your KA registered car to Pondicherry.
Vouch for that. I have travelled multiple times.
No issues at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post

After taking the right at Krishangiri, hit straight to Vellore and then Arcot.
Just saw the post and realised the mistake. At Krishnagiri take LEFT towards Chennai to reach Vellore.

Mod note: Post edited to correct the above mention of direction

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th January 2015 at 21:19. Reason: Merging back to back posts
carChef is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 21:11   #1269
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post


The best route I would say is Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Thellar-Tindivanam-Pondicherry. This road is the one I take and I can vouch that it's the best option available.

Just saw the post and realised the mistake. At Krishnagiri take LEFT towards Chennai to reach Vellore.
@carChef, thank you. Any suggestions on hotels en route for food...
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 23:52   #1270
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,661
Thanked: 4,413 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
@carChef, thank you. Any suggestions on hotels en route for food...
Plenty of options on both sides of the highway between Bangalore-Krishnagiri (NH 7)-Vellore (NH 46). Not sure of options beyond that.
Some of them are:
Shoolagiri (on left side) - Krishna Inn, McDonalds (inside IOC fuel station campus)
A2B (inside BP fuel station campus)
Kaveripattinam bypass (left side) - Sree Saravana Inn
Aaryaas
Vellore- Saravana Bhavan

Last edited by NPV : 19th December 2014 at 23:56.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 06:20   #1271
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
@carChef, thank you. Any suggestions on hotels en route for food...
Driving down from Bangalore tomorrow, and saw this article, calling for a bandh today. Anybody know more about this, and how I can bypass town, if I'm heading towards le pondy on the Arcot, Chesham route.
http://m.thehindu.com/news/cities/pu...le6704257.ece/
Juggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 11:06   #1272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Plenty of options on both sides of the highway between Bangalore-Krishnagiri (NH 7)-Vellore (NH 46). Not sure of options beyond that.
Some of them are:
Shoolagiri (on left side) - Krishna Inn, McDonalds (inside IOC fuel station campus)
A2B (inside BP fuel station campus)
Kaveripattinam bypass (left side) - Sree Saravana Inn
Aaryaas
Vellore- Saravana Bhavan
If leaving early from Bangalore, Aaryas works out timing wise. Quality is average. Sarvana Bhavan requires you to enter the city.
asinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 13:38   #1273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 232
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Driving down from Bangalore tomorrow, and saw this article, calling for a bandh today. Anybody know more about this, and how I can bypass town, if I'm heading towards le pondy on the Arcot, Chesham route.
http://m.thehindu.com/news/cities/pu...le6704257.ece/
If you're heading to le pondy I would suggest you take the Salem-kallakuruchi-ulundurpet-cuddalore route. It's a lot quicker and pretty much the same distance. Le pondy is on the pondicherry cuddalore road
zombiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:59   #1274
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
If you're heading to le pondy I would suggest you take the Salem-kallakuruchi-ulundurpet-cuddalore route. It's a lot quicker and pretty much the same distance. Le pondy is on the pondicherry cuddalore road
Thanks. The drive was smooth, esp the last stretch on NH66. The Cheyyam byepass has atleast 25 speedbreakers, which may seem familiar to Bangaloreans. Going back is via Salem.
Juggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:48   #1275
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,435
Thanked: 8,306 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
If you're heading to le pondy I would suggest you take the Salem-kallakuruchi-ulundurpet-cuddalore route. It's a lot quicker and pretty much the same distance. Le pondy is on the pondicherry cuddalore road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Thanks. The drive was smooth, esp the last stretch on NH66. The Cheyyam byepass has atleast 25 speedbreakers, which may seem familiar to Bangaloreans. Going back is via Salem.
Its a huge detour going via Salem. Though the roads are good, I would not advice taking the Salem option. Its still better going via Cheyyar/Vandavasi. Roads are decent too.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rajahmundry to Pondicherry : Route Queries penpusher Route / Travel Queries 11 11th November 2015 08:47
Bangalore-Pondicherry : Best route to take? binz Route / Travel Queries 4 27th May 2009 10:04
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks