Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 13:53   #1321
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: Once
Default Do we have to pay for Permit to enter Pondicherry if we travel by a Private Car

Hi

I am visiting Thirukadaiyur on 24th Jan 2015 and I am planning to take ECR via Pondicherry.

I will be using my Car and I would like to know whether do we have to pay any permit charges to enter pondicherry? If yes, where do we have to obtain the permit? In Chennai?

Regards

Arun Natarajan
viju_bubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 14:03   #1322
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,712
Thanked: 7,392 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Jaggu use the route mentioned by ampere. I did the same route in December 2014 and was an absolute hoot to drive. What you taking, the ST eh ?
Thanks Ampere and rj, i will be driven in a Ritz i guess Family vacation so wanted a peaceful drive route. Hope the extended weekend rush does not play spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viju_bubli View Post
I will be using my Car and I would like to know whether do we have to pay any permit charges to enter pondicherry? If yes, where do we have to obtain the permit? In Chennai?
Nope, not heard of any permits for entering pondicherry in a private car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2015 at 14:07.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 14:07   #1323
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,344
Thanked: 787 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks Ampere and rj, i will be driven in a Ritz i guess Family vacation so wanted a peaceful drive route. Hope the extended weekend rush does not play spoiler.
Jaggu I suggest that you start a wee bit early and beat the traffic at the Krishnagiri toll. Being a long weekend expect some heavy traffic at the toll booths.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 14:09   #1324
BHPian
 
AmazeGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 206 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks Ampere and rj, i will be driven in a Ritz i guess Family vacation so wanted a peaceful drive route. Hope the extended weekend rush does not play spoiler.
Hi Jaggu,

Saturday being start of long weekend, you are likely to spend a lot of time at toll booths - especially the BETL (elevated expressway on Hosur road) and Attibele toll booths.

I traveled to Pondicherry on 25th Dec (start of 4-day long weekend) and had to spend at least 45 mins in these two toll booths.

Make sure you leave very early (before 5 AM) to beat the rush at toll booths. Also there is some road widening/construction work going on inside Hosur town, which might add to the delay.

Have a safe trip!
AmazeGuru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:40   #1325
BHPian
 
soumobakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 258
Thanked: 219 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay for a family of 4+1 preferably sea facing. Also would like to know whether there are any beaches nearby which is accessible for mortals like us ?

Planning to start at around 1 PM this Saturday the 24th of Jan 2015.
soumobakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:49   #1326
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 988 Times
Default Planning : Bangalore-Pondicherry : Help Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Can anyone suggest a good place to stay for a family of 4+1 preferably sea facing. Also would like to know whether there are any beaches nearby which is accessible for mortals like us ?

Planning to start at around 1 PM this Saturday the 24th of Jan 2015.

Try the Zest Mahindra property. During off season the do accommodate non members. It's a good property to stay on. It's on the beach but you will not be able to see the sea. Not sure if the first floor rooms have a view of the sea.
I have their number. Give the reservation a go. 0413-2616100

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 20th January 2015 at 18:06.
Arjun Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 18:02   #1327
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,688
Thanked: 3,250 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Try the Zest Mahindra property. During off season the do accommodate non members.
Though I have not stayed at Zest, should agree that it is a good property. One of my colleague who stayed there had great reviews about the place. Also there was a travelogue about the same on TBHP.

However I don't think it will be possible to get booking at Zest or most of the resorts in this short notice, more so since it is a long weekend.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:33   #1328
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

How's this route - http://goo.gl/YjIyT3 - if one wants to avoid the tipper-laden Hosur Road in the morning say at about 5:30-6:00am?

@Sudden123, if you take this route in the evening today, do update this thread.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:48   #1329
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,705
Thanked: 2,992 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Can anyone suggest a good place to stay for a family of 4+1 preferably sea facing. Also would like to know whether there are any beaches nearby which is accessible for mortals like us ?

Planning to start at around 1 PM this Saturday the 24th of Jan 2015.
I stayed at Zest in Aug. Was lucky enough to get a room. It was crowded. Although it's close to the beach, you wont be able to get the view. The beach is accessible and clean. But I think it's sold out this weekend, infact most resorts are. My sister tried most of the resorts and finally got a reservation at Le Pondy.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 23rd January 2015 at 14:50.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:50   #1330
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,688
Thanked: 3,250 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
if one wants to avoid the tipper-laden Hosur Road in the morning say at about 5:30-6:00am?
Ah, So you decided to tank up at Shell Bellandur

A good option, not because of the truck traffic on Hosur road but because you are hitting the road during start of a long weekend.

Last I traveled through this route was around 3 months back, the only issue was with Sarjapur town 'bye-pass'. There was some work going on which forced you to take the narrow town bye-lanes. As per update on another thread the road work is still not completed, but the road is open. Anyways, it will not be an issue to take the route through town since you are starting early in morning.

I am traveling to Chennai today evening and planning to take this route, will update based on that.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:26   #1331
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Ah, So you decided to tank up at Shell Bellandur

A good option, not because of the truck traffic on Hosur road but because you are hitting the road during start of a long weekend.

Last I traveled through this route was around 3 months back, the only issue was with Sarjapur town 'bye-pass'. There was some work going on which forced you to take the narrow town bye-lanes. As per update on another thread the road work is still not completed, but the road is open. Anyways, it will not be an issue to take the route through town since you are starting early in morning.

I am traveling to Chennai today evening and planning to take this route, will update based on that.
Yep. Shell Belandur it is. Thanks for suggesting it.

Also, it'll be awesome if you can update the thread once you've crossed this stretch. Have a happy trip
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 12:02   #1332
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Hey guys. Heading back to Bangalore from Pondi. Should I take the same Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyar-Arcot-Vellore- Bangalore route or some other route? Last year a friend got stuck in Cheyar due to republic celebration. Anyone who is already taken this route...please update.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 13:20   #1333
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,740
Thanked: 4,566 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Hey guys. Heading back to Bangalore from Pondi. Should I take the same Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyar-Arcot-Vellore- Bangalore route or some other route? Last year a friend got stuck in Cheyar due to republic celebration. Anyone who is already taken this route...please update.
I think there is a bypass for Cheyyar, do check earlier posts. That should help avoid the town.

Link to one of the earlier posts - Here

Last edited by NPV : 26th January 2015 at 13:22.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 06:50   #1334
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,925
Thanked: 1,151 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Hey guys. Heading back to Bangalore from Pondi. Should I take the same Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyar-Arcot-Vellore- Bangalore route or some other route? Last year a friend got stuck in Cheyar due to republic celebration. Anyone who is already taken this route...please update.
There is one more option but a slightly longer one. Tindivanam-Chengelpet-Kanchipuram-Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri and Hosur to bangalore. Except for the Kanchipuram-Chengelpet stretch which is a 2 lane road but a good one, rest of the tarmac is a 4/6 lane road.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 17:05   #1335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
There is one more option but a slightly longer one. Tindivanam-Chengelpet-Kanchipuram-Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri and Hosur to bangalore. Except for the Kanchipuram-Chengelpet stretch which is a 2 lane road but a good one, rest of the tarmac is a 4/6 lane road.
Hey. Thanks for this but I reached home last night. Should have mentioned the time I guess. Google suggested a route via Chitoor which was about 20 minutes faster, but I didn't pay any heed to it. Took about 9 hours to reach Bangalore even when I was feeling road-sick and there was no one else with me who could drive the car.

Anyway. I got stuck at Krishnagiri Toll for about 45 mins and Hosur toll for about 20 mins. Also witnessed a horrible pile-up on Krishnagiri Flyover. 6 to 7 cars were involved in it. But looked like one Polo suffered the most. And before Hosur I saw a totaled Maroon Mobilio. I hope no one lost their near and dear one in this.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rajahmundry to Pondicherry : Route Queries penpusher Route / Travel Queries 11 11th November 2015 08:47
Bangalore-Pondicherry : Best route to take? binz Route / Travel Queries 4 27th May 2009 10:04
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks