Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th December 2007, 18:46   #16
Team-BHP Support

Next week we are planning to visit Hampi, I know it could be filled with horde of tourists because of holidays. But with a school going kid, we can only travel in holidays.

And we couldn't get rooms in Hospet, we finally settled for a hotel in Bellary. But how are the roads from Bellary to Hampi? We have to travel up-n-down twice since we are staying for two days. I hope the mine trucks haven't completely screwed this road.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 19:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And we couldn't get rooms in Hospet, we finally settled for a hotel in Bellary. But how are the roads from Bellary to Hampi? We have to travel up-n-down twice since we are staying for two days. I hope the mine trucks haven't completely screwed this road.
Road is not that good but still manageable to do 50km in an hour. Now that you have a SUV, there is nothing you should worry off.

I got this update from zenx who has personally biked that route to Hampi from bangalore.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 19:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Roads are bad, not meant to be travelled in a car. SUV's & MUV's should be fine, is what I understand.

You may have to shelve any plans of shooting at dusk, so that you can reach your hotel before 6 pm. Dusk to dawn is when the ore movement starts and it is supposed to be practically a no-go for all other vehicles from then on.

Hospet - did you try Mallige ? The new block is supposed to be good.
If in Bellary, it is or Pola Paradise (spelling may be wrong), or Bala Residency.

Last edited by condor : 18th December 2007 at 20:10.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 19:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Abhi, that's good to know. How's the traffic on that road, what are the times to avoid. Is there a time when mining trucks take off?
Old 18th December 2007, 20:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samurai,

In Hampi itself there are few resorts right now its flooded by outsiders. if you manage to get a room there avoid going to Bellary.

Its not easy to travel beteen bellary and hospet especially when you are on site seeing trip just to stay in bellary. Road has lot of bad big potholes and journey will be tired one between Bellary and Hospet because of heavy traffic.

Avoid early morning (before 5am) and late evening (after 8pm) drive between Bellary and Hospet because there are few sensible places between and heavy truck traffic.

If you have time visit Bellary fort, small park near old bus stand. Between bellary and Hospet near torangallu jindal factory area and sandur road there is one small reservoir and Doni Mallai forest area.

Having stayed in my uncle's house and studied BE in Bellary I can arrange for you any help includuing guides/security gaurds lol

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 18th December 2007 at 20:38.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 20:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You may have to shelve any plans of shooting at dusk, so that you can reach your hotel before 6 pm. Dusk to dawn is when the ore movement starts and it is supposed to be practically a no-go for all other vehicles from then on.

Hospet - did you try Mallige ? The new block is supposed to be good.
If in Bellary, it is or Pola Paradise (spelling may be wrong), or Bala Residency.
I don't have much hopes of photoshoot. With two kids (including an infant) and holiday crowd, I don't think I can shoot anything. I'll be carrying the backup camera (Sony F-717) this time. We tried all the Hampi hotels, no choice. Yeah, we going with Pola paradise I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Its not easy to travel beteen bellary and hospet especially when you are on site seeing trip just to stay in bellary. Road has lot of bad big potholes and journey will be tired one between Bellary and Hospet because of heavy traffic.
This is the current state?

Quote:
Having stayed in my uncle's house and studied BE in Bellary I can arrange for you any help includuing guides/security gaurds lol
Do we need security guards? Anyway, PM me your number, just in case.
Old 18th December 2007, 21:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes thats right at present road is very bad but motorable you need to drive carefully avoid overtaking unless you find clear free distance because the way people drive in that area is really bad.

If hotel is Pola Paradise its good since you need not struggle inside city traffic. Its good place in Bellary.

Have a nice time!

Regards,

Ravi.

PS Since your car is imported one and rarely seen I feel people would respect that and give the way. People who travel in such cars surrounded by securties in Bellary area because of mining business which is going on these years! so I meant if you need them to get the status lol

Last edited by ravibhat : 18th December 2007 at 21:51.
Old 18th December 2007, 23:15   #23
Team-BHP Support

We have decided to postpone the trip until we get a room right at Hampi. I don't want to lose 4-5 hours of daylight each day driving through bad highways. We'll reach there late and have to leave early. It doesn't make any sense.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:35   #24
BHPian

Hi Samurai,

I went last year at the same time and when i booked from Blr i was told that there were no rooms available. I had to spend one night @ Bellary and the drive from Hampi to Bellary was terrible due to there being no roads! However the next day i drove back via a longer route past a bear sanctuary (which people avoid travelling in night) and while in Hampi managed to get a neat room (nothing fancy) at a place near the bus station. If you might ask your travel agent to try some of these places as Hampi is great this time of the year as one can be out the entire day.

Rgds
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 16:59   #25
Team-BHP Support

We finally did the Hampi trip last weekend, we stayed in Malligi in Hospet.

Quote:
PS Since your car is imported one and rarely seen I feel people would respect that and give the way. People who travel in such cars surrounded by securties in Bellary area because of mining business which is going on these years! so I meant if you need them to get the status lol
Having an imported SUV didn't help a bit in Hospet, even bicycles and pedestrians didn't give a damn. Driving within Hospet is a real nightmare, worse than Bangalore traffic manners even while having 1/10th traffic density.
Old 15th January 2008, 19:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice place (Hampi) to visit in right time! Thats why I offered you security so they would have created way for you

In Bellary days I remember always I and my uncle used to go by Bike rather than taking car inside City, thats the way people drive/travel there.

I realized once we drive vehicles in Bellary/Hospet area we can drive in any part of the world! But I can now situation is improved compared to 90's but still its long way to go. But still I like that area for many good things except traffic sense!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 15th January 2008, 19:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I realized once we drive vehicles in Bellary/Hospet area we can drive in any part of the world! But I can now situation is improved compared to 90's but still its long way to go. But still I like that area for many good things except traffic sense!
Have you been there recently? I think the mining activity has really affected the pollution levels in that area, everything is reddish or dusty around there.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

hi Samurai,

Its nearly 2 years last I visited that area, Last week my freind told me same thing :( everywhere dust! My unlce who visited Bellary on Dec. 31 told me roads are too bad and dust everywhere.

Its good that you stayed in Hospet and avoided travelling between Bellary adn Hospet.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 21st April 2008, 21:02   #29
BHPian

Hi,
Planning to visit Hampi as my backup plan in May but looking at various replies I can conclude that it is difficult to get a hotel booking plus the roads near Hospet are bad. But is May a good time to visit Hampi considering summer holiday crowd and heat?
Also is there a short cut from Hospet to NH4? I am visiting Goa (via Belgaon - NH4A) after that and do not wish to come all the way south to Chitradurga.
rajivtelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:35   #30
BHPian

Hi Rajivtelang,

It would be extremely hot in Hampi in May. I would suggest that you wait for the monsoon and then travel. The ideal time to visit Hampi is in the winters.

Rgds
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote