Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th August 2009, 22:14   #16
BHPian

Default Hows the road condition now

I am driving home tomorrow (chennai to kottayam).. Hows the road condition now ?
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 08:13   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Kottayam to Anna Nagar, Chennai

I know the thread is very old but just for the sake of those who hit thread while searching, for going to ECR when coming on GST, it is better to take a right at Vandalur which will take you to Kelambakkam, where you take a right and another left in another 50 m which will put you in ECR (at Kovalam junction) which, I believe is better compared to going to city and coming back
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 11:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping up an old but relevant thread to me. I am planning to drive down from Chennai (Mount Road / Chintadripet to be precise) and want to reach Kanjirappalli. What's the best route?

I see the Volvo takes a route via Kumily / Dindigul / Trichy, but am NOT sure of the entire route. Could someone guide me please?

I prefer (a longer) better road and will be starting at 5 AM or so.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 11:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Chennai (Mount Road / Chintadripet to be precise) and want to reach Kanjirappalli.

I see the Volvo takes a route via Kumily / Dindigul / Trichy,
That is the best route. Madras-GST Road-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Kumili-Kanjirapalli.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 12:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
That is the best route. Madras-GST Road-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Kumili-Kanjirapalli.
Thank You. Could you be a bit more precise in the highlighted portion? I have hardly driven 100 kms in Chennai and doesn't know the place well. So more data points from Chintadripet till Trichy would help me a lot.

Edit:: A google map search shows the route via Tambaram --> Tindivanam --> Villupuram --> Virudhachalam. Guess it's the route you are talking about? Howz the road condition?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th August 2014 at 12:15.
Old 20th August 2014, 12:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So more data points from Chintadripet till Trichy would help me a lot.
Since you already seem to know Mount Road. Take Mount Road towards Saidapet-Guindy-Keep left and don't take the Kathipara cloverleaf at all you'll cross Hilton if you didn't-Airport. From here you just have to follow the 4-lane all the way you'll cross Chengalpattu-Tindivanam-Villupuram-Ulundurpet-Perambalur (in that order). You won't see Vriddachalam it's on the train route(Chord line) not the drive route.

At Trichy, take the exit marked for Dindigul (i.e TVS tollgate). Below the bridge take a right. You'll cross a narrow bridge with Trichy railway station on your right. After you cross it, bear left at the upcoming roundabout (taking right will take you inside Trichy town) and continue on that road that'll take you to Trichy-Dindigul 4-lane.
Old 20th August 2014, 14:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up an old but relevant thread to me. I am planning to drive down from Chennai (Mount Road / Chintadripet to be precise) and want to reach Kanjirappalli. What's the best route?

I see the Volvo takes a route via Kumily / Dindigul / Trichy, but am NOT sure of the entire route. Could someone guide me please?

I prefer (a longer) better road and will be starting at 5 AM or so.
The route suggested by Narayan is the best route and a 5 AM start is perfect(please stick to 5 AM start to avoid traffic all the way up to chengalpattu, which can be really painful)

Again, as Narayan mentioned you need to be a little wary when you approach Kathipara flyover, you need to stick to extreme left, the road isn't too broad and may mislead you of not leading to GST. Remember, You don't have to climb up any ascends.

Again, as you reach Trichy, be very wary, since Trichy being the center point of TN, a lot of branches take off to different parts of TN. The deviation to Dindugul will be clearly marked, but if you are driving a little too fast or if there are HCVs driving ahead, you might miss the deviation, so maintain a slow speed, say around 50, stick to left and keep watching all the sign boards.

Repeat the same as you reach Dindugul, Theni deviations are tricky too.

When in doubt, stop by and ask the locals.

Ok, all these aside, the roads are an Absolute Blast to drive. GST is one of the best and most well maintained Highways in south and the roads will be silky smooth all the way till Trichy and from Trichy it will be very scenic all the way till you reach home.

So, Wear your seat belts and enjoy the drive!

Last edited by CliffHanger : 20th August 2014 at 14:18.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 15:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just to add little more data points on Trichy.

You'll cross Samayapuram toll at about 285-290 km milestone mark. The first exit towards Trichy will be Salem (a.k.a Number 1 Tollgate) on right side which is approximately about 310-312 km milestone mark. This is where Trichy bypass starts and you should see relatively more traffic till you exit.

Continue on the 4-lane you'll cross 2 river bridges (Kollidam and Kaveri) and then you'll have exits for Thanjavur (NH67), Pudukottai/Karaikudi (NH210) and finally Dindigul (NH45) in that order.

The Pudukottai/Karaikudi and Dindigul exits are almost back to back (about 1-2 km apart). Pudukottai turn will be a left and Dindigul turn is a right turn at a traffic lights with TVS Bharat Petroleum bunk on your left.

If you had missed getting off the bridge for Dindigul exit you would see Grand Gardenia on your right and the busy bypass traffic almost thins out after this bridge. The Dindigul exit is the last towards Trichy after this the highway turns as NH45B towards Madurai.
Old 21st August 2014, 07:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Edit:: A google map search shows the route via Tambaram --> Tindivanam --> Villupuram --> Virudhachalam. Guess it's the route you are talking about? Howz the road condition?

Its end to end 4-lane till Dindigul. Once on GST you will literally fly till Dindigul. Even crossing Trichy is a breeze since you stay on 4-lane. Only point you should note is that many commit the mistake of taking the Madurai exit instead of driving to Dindigul side.

See this map : Route Link

At point D you should NOT take the flyover (which ends up on the Madurai 4-lane). Instead you should go below, past the signal and continue. Thats the Dindigul road.

A snap of this location. The flyover you see is the Madurai flyover at point D.

Kottayam to Anna Nagar, Chennai-madurai_turn_off.jpg

Once you are at Dindigul, get on to the bypass till you hit NH7 on to the Salem side. Once on NH7 drive on the bypass towards Madurai and take the second exit. The first one is 209. The road till Theni is newly re-laid (a year or two ago) and is a WIDE two lane. I think its good till Cumbum. Its the last stretch Kumily/Kanjirapally which may be just about OK.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ampere : 21st August 2014 at 07:54.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its end to end 4-lane till Dindigul. Once on GST you will literally fly till Dindigul. Even crossing Trichy is a breeze since you stay on 4-lane. Only point you should note is that many commit the mistake of taking the Madurai exit instead of driving to Dindigul side.

See this map : Route Link

At point D you should NOT take the flyover (which ends up on the Madurai 4-lane). Instead you should go below, past the signal and continue. Thats the Dindigul road.

A snap of this location. The flyover you see is the Madurai flyover at point D.

Attachment 1276529

Once you are at Dindigul, get on to the bypass till you hit NH7 on to the Salem side. Once on NH7 drive on the bypass towards Madurai and take the second exit. The first one is 209. The road till Theni is newly re-laid (a year or two ago) and is a WIDE two lane. I think its good till Cumbum. Its the last stretch Kumily/Kanjirapally which may be just about OK.

Hope that helps.
Please note you cannot turn left at point E due to flyover constructions. Please follow this route and turn right at point F.
arsudarsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A snap of this location.

Attachment 1276529
By the looks of it, this picture is taken from Grand Gardenia taken towards the Madurai direction?
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
By the looks of it, this picture is taken from Grand Gardenia taken towards the Madurai direction?
Yes! I was at the terrace when taking this. A nice hotel to stay. Right on the highway with easy access to all destination. A bit on the higher price, but a very nice place. Base parking can be a bit cramped, when its full.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 13:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Could you also let me know what are the best places to have food enroute. Both breakfast and lunch would be required. Do NOT want any high end restaurants, but a clean / neat quality food is what I look at. Also any "special" restaurants which may serve something special?
Old 8th September 2014, 14:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could you also let me know what are the best places to have food enroute. Both breakfast and lunch would be required. Do NOT want any high end restaurants, but a clean / neat quality food is what I look at. Also any "special" restaurants which may serve something special?
Tindivanam Bypass: Vasantha Bhavan
Ulundurpet Bypass : A2B
Grand Gardenia : Trichy (At the Madurai exit signal)
Dindigul: Velu Biriyan if you are non-veg. (I dont know the location)
Theni town : Western Gatz (You cant take the bypass. You need to get into town),

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2014 at 14:10.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 17:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ulundurpet Bypass : A2B
Grand Gardenia : Trichy (At the Madurai exit signal)
Theni town : Western Gatz (You cant take the bypass. You need to get into town),
Ulundurpet A2B is actually 5 km before Ulundurpet about 1.5 km before the toll. Food is decent, but service is on the slower side.

Grand Gardenia is on the higher side. Arya Bhavan next door is a good budget option.

Western Gatz is decent, the only gripe I have about them is it is on a narrow lane off Dindigul-Theni road and you can easily miss it. It's quite a reasonable option to stay actually I remember there is a Meenakshi Bhavan when leaving town towards Cumbum.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote