Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th February 2007, 08:10   #1
BHPian

Default Climbing Thirupathi hill in Palio 1.2 (OV)

Hi all,

Next week I am planning to go with my family to Thirupathi. So its going to full load (5 people +1 kid + some luggages). Just wondering (worring) will Palio 1.2 would able to climb the hill without any stutter.
Though I have a choice to take my inlaws Baleno, me and my wife would like to take our beloved Palio. Have anyone tried it earlier.

Regards,
Prasanna
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 08:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

My Palio 1.2 NV was able to climb Nandi hills with some difficulty with 5 ppl in it. Yes, I did not use A/C, so, I can not comment on the performance withit. But, expect it to be sluggish. Having said that, it was a delight to drive in the curves. Same was the result when I went to BR Hills. You will have to work through your gears to get some reasonable performance from it. Maybe, OV might be slightly better off, but definitely not by a huge margin.
deepakhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 08:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dont insult the Palio dude...joking !!!
Ya you can climb in a Palio dont worry...If fully loaded M800 and Altos can climb in Masinagudi then it is peanut for Palio...
Also Tirupati climb is not so steep to talk off...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 08:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ya you can climb in a Palio dont worry...If fully loaded M800 and Altos can climb in Masinagudi then it is peanut for Palio...
Abhi
It definitely will climb, but you will have to be more patient with the car. You will have to remember that it is a little sluggish.
deepakhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 08:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

going up the hill is a blast because its a one way, but you wont enjoy it due to the load.

Lucky me, the rest of the family decided to hike up and I was flying.

Turn off the A/C, set the tire pressures higher and keep the momentum though the corners. watch the engine temps.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 09:25   #6
BHPian

Common, when i was able to do it with my indica dls with 5 ppl and luggage on board in 18 minutes, it should be a cakewalk for a palio.

With no oncoming traffic, it is easy to maintain the revs and keep the momentum going.

Regards
Tifosi.
tifosikrishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 09:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
, when i was able to do it with my indica dls with 5 ppl and luggage on board in 18 minutes, it should be a cakewalk for a palio.

Regards
Tifosi.

Thanks for your replies and encouragement. Well, actually any diesel vehicle can climb easily with full load better than petrol vehicle because of its better torque.

Guess its good test for Palio. Will keep you guys posted.
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 15:49   #8
BANNED

You should be able to manage quite easily. There's no need to turn off the A/C. Make sure you take the engine to at least 2500 rpm before upshifting and don't attempt to shift into 5th gear. 3rd gear would be ideal with some usage of 4th gear.

In case you didn't know this:
At the Alpiri toll gate, your car will undergo a security check and you will be issued a token with your car's registration number and the time you are expected to reach the top. A signboard says - minimum 45 minutes to reach Tirumala. This is mainly for taxi / jeep operators who are fined if they reach Tirumala in less than 45 minutes.

The climb from Tirupati to Tirumala should not take you more than 20 minutes.

Which route are you taking?

Chennai - Tada - Srikalahasti - Renigunta - Tirupati - Tirumala
or
Chennai - Tiruvallur - Tiruttani - Puttur - Renigunta - Tirupati - Tirumala

The second route is NH205 all the way and has good roads but the first one is more adventurous.

Let me know if you need any more information or help.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 17:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

In my view the palio 1.2 can easily climb the ghats as its one way.

And as Mpower rightly mentioned. Switch off A/C, higher psi, and take the curves at a slight momentum and you should be allright.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 12:49   #10
BANNED

I repeat - no need to turn off the A/C, your car will run just fine with a full load and the A/C running. Also, please keep the manufacturer recommended cold tyre pressures.

What's with people advising A/C off and higher tyre pressures?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 14:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan View Post
Just wondering (worring) will Palio 1.2 would able to climb the hill without any stutter.
Any reasons for your worry? Atleast it should climb in 1st gear (5ppl, AC on). Or is there any issue?

PS: My friend's Hero Honda Splendor(with pillion rider) refused to climb Gopalaswamy Hill (near Bandipur). Poor guy had to walk while the bike struggled to climb. Is this case with cars also?
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 15:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
PS: My friend's Hero Honda Splendor(with pillion rider) refused to climb Gopalaswamy Hill (near Bandipur). Poor guy had to walk while the bike struggled to climb. Is this case with cars also?
I still doubt it unless the load is more than say 200kg....
With about 160kg of load, my calibre115 did Nandi hills (twice), Sakleshpur ghat (once), Hogenakkal Falls (twice) easily in 2nd, 3rd gear....also i had friend with me who did it in his splendor with 100kg load...
I dont know about gopalswamy betta but I think your friend is maintaining his bike well otherwise it should have climbed easily....in no matter it should have climbed in first gear....

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 15:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I dont know about gopalswamy betta but I think your friend is maintaining his bike well otherwise it should have climbed easily....in no matter it should have climbed in first gear....
Abhi
Some stretches of the climb of that hill is very steep....I would recommend that place. Do visit early mornings or late evenings to enjoy the clouds around you !
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 16:52   #14
rks
BANNED

I have climbed Tirupathi hills in an old 60's model Fiat. Had to stop the car a few times to let engine cool off and to top up radiator. On the Maruti 800 (1995 model, non-AC) the climb was an absolute breeze and the car literally raced to the top (with 2 people and luggage). So in a Palio 1.2 there should be no issues.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 17:37   #15
BHPian

Go ahead, enjoy the hills with your OV palio 1.2.My old NV used to be a bit sluggish in the hills,but never did it complain really.The OV has much better low end as well as top end punch and should do it without any problems.Have fun
roms is offline   Reply With Quote