Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd March 2007, 15:58   #16
BHPian

@n_aditya... I will miss that. I am planning the trip on the first week of April
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

unfortunately.. everyone's missed out on a very important thing.

Coimbatore->Avinashi->Perundurai->Bhavani road is being 4 laned, especially coimbatore to Perundurai is really really bad. The road condition is ok but there are no shoulders to the road and traffic is very very heavy in that sector. There have been a lot of accidents as overtaking is a problem without the shoulders. Private buses and mini lorries trying to overtake each other and its too much of chaos. Night driving is best avoided in this sector.

It took the better part of 2-1/2 hrs to cover the 80 kms in the morning (around 9 ish).

We took an alternate route from Coimbatore. Its 15kms extra but saves a lot of time and hassles.

Its combatore->sathyamangalam->athani->andiyur->ammapet->mettur.

It took us less than 3 hrs to cover this distance. Main reason is road from cbe to sathyamangalam is excellent. sathyamangalam to ammapet is decent roads through rural areas and almost nil traffic. Ammapet is on the Bhavani->Mettur road. So once you reach Ammapet you take a left towards mettur. I took my new Civic on these roads and believe me I didn't regret it one bit.

You would have to ask for directions in Sathyamangalam for the road to Athani.

You can try it out if you are interested in saving time and headaches on the coimbatore->perundurai road. The only safe time to travel on that road according to me is early morning (6 am to 8 am)
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 10:22   #18
BHPian

Thanks CSENTIL. I am plannig to travel from CBE by around 5.30-6AM. So as per your message I presume there will be less traffic.
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

yeah.. traffic should be less around that time, not counting all the overnite travels buses heading to cbe. better you drive after there's daylight...

bhavani-mettur road is good and so is the road from mettur to thoppur and dharmapuri. Dharmapuri to Krishnagiri is again bad. watch out for huge potholes sometimes in the middle of the road. This road is being four laned (part of the NSEW corridor) so you might not have shoulders at times.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 06:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
yeah.. traffic should be less around that time, not counting all the overnite travels buses heading to cbe. better you drive after there's daylight...

bhavani-mettur road is good and so is the road from mettur to thoppur and dharmapuri. Dharmapuri to Krishnagiri is again bad. watch out for huge potholes sometimes in the middle of the road. This road is being four laned (part of the NSEW corridor) so you might not have shoulders at times.
Did Blr - Sulur - Blr last weekend,....Krishnagiri - Dhrmapuri stretch is not that bad now, the potholes have been patched up, although there are uneven stretches and couple of potholes but nothing for a car...
NS corridor work is in full swing in this stretch....Hopefully we can soon see a nice 4 laned road till Thoppur from Bangalore....

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 07:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Thanks CSENTIL. I am plannig to travel from CBE by around 5.30-6AM. So as per your message I presume there will be less traffic.
Sudheermenon, I did Blr - Sulur - Blr last weekend...In the return journey (last monday), I started from Sulur at 7AM reached Karimattampatti at 7:30AM (this is about 10km form Avinashi on NH47)
From there to Saravana Bhavan, Bhavani took me 1hr 15min including a petrol break at Rel@Perundurai....
Although 4 laning work is in progress but the road surface as such is not that bad....early morning drive from CBE is very much advisable....Pls dont do very high speeds in this stretch though...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 14:47   #22
BANNED

In addition to what esteem_lover has said:

A shorter route would be: at the place where the 4 laning ends close to Chennai, you can take a right onto the Poonamalee bypass (small handwritten signboard - easy to miss). Continue along this road and ask for Chennai Trade Centre at Nandambakkam. Heading along the same road will lead you to the Kathipara Junction at Guindy.

Continue straight (Mount Road begins here) beyond Guindy bus terminus, the railway bridge, SPIC, ABT Maruti on your left, Maraimalai Adigar bridge at Saidapet. About 1/2 km after Saidapet bridge, look out for the DSC Hyundai showroom on your left and turn left immediately after the showroom.

The first left from this road (Hotel Sri Krishna Bhavan at the corner) takes you to the Nandi statue and CIT Nagar.

If you are following esteem_lover's route, at the Ashok Pillar, turn left and ask for Aranganathan subway - crossing the subway takes you into CIT Nagar.

Last edited by hrag : 24th March 2007 at 14:49.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 11:36   #23
BHPian

Thanks to all of you for provding me the much needed information on the routes.

By the way, any suggestions on good hotels enroute to chennai? Since I will be travelling with family, I am eager to know abt some good hotels along this way.

Thanks again to all of you.
Sudheer