Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 17:19   #1561
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
The toll rates are gone up in the BLR-HOSUR-KRISHNAGIRI-CHENNAI route from 1st of April. I have noticed an increase 5 rupees per single trip at some places.

Thanks
In krishnagiri toll plaza, the toll fare has been hiked from Rs 55 to Rs 60 for cars (single trip) and from Rs 85 to Rs 90 for cars (return trip).
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 20:41   #1562
BHPian
 
DWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 774
Thanked: 167 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have done this route; it is indeed a good drive with hardly any traffic (once you are outside the Gudiyattam town limits). You will miss the AP-TN border if you are not watchful. The only traffic is the occasional bus or truck - near-zero cars and other private vehicles.
Also, expect the time taken to be more. You are doing roads which are not necessarily NH quality with some stretches on single carriageway and having to get down on sharp road shoulders to give way to unruly oncoming traffic.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 20:57   #1563
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 188 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Last week did a round trip on my car from Chennai to Bangalore. The tipper lorry mess between Ranipet and Sriperumbudur was horrible. Came back to office to hear the bad news of my colleague who was shifting to Bangalore from Chennai on his Wagon R meeting with a major accident due a tipper lorry shifting lanes without indicator. The driver died on the spot, his wife suffered multiple fractures while he was the least affected.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 21:32   #1564
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 289
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Last week did a round trip on my car from Chennai to Bangalore. The tipper lorry mess between Ranipet and Sriperumbudur was horrible. Came back to office to hear the bad news of my colleague who was shifting to Bangalore from Chennai on his Wagon R meeting with a major accident due a tipper lorry shifting lanes without indicator. The driver died on the spot, his wife suffered multiple fractures while he was the least affected.
I started noticing this tipper menace for the last 6 months or so. These tippers are driven by guys who are used to driving in suburbs and really don't know how to drive on highways. Most of the times, they occupy both lanes driving parallel to each other and thus causing chaos. And worst of all, they keep splashing the sand all around the place causing damage to other vehicles. I used to see these sand laden tippers on Chengalpattu-Kanchipuram Road earlier and now having exhausted Palar river sand, they are venturing into other areas.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 17:39   #1565
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 209
Thanked: 72 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I started noticing this tipper menace for the last 6 months or so. These tippers are driven by guys who are used to driving in suburbs and really don't know how to drive on highways. Most of the times, they occupy both lanes driving parallel to each other and thus causing chaos. And worst of all, they keep splashing the sand all around the place causing damage to other vehicles.
Yeah.Drove on this stretch yesterday.The Tipper menace stretched all the way from Chennasamudram Toll gate till Poonamalee ! Very strenous and dangerous to drive amidst this chaos even though this is a 4 lane stretch.

Last edited by ramanak : 11th April 2014 at 17:41.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 23:14   #1566
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,486
Thanked: 8,379 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Is the flyover on GST at Tambaram railway station complete which would allow a direct route from Oragadam side towards Medavakkam over the GST? Also how is the Tambaram-Medavakkam road? Because if that road is good then the 4-laned Oragadam road may be worth taking. One can directly cut through GST.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 13:38   #1567
BHPian
 
DWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 774
Thanked: 167 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Yes there is direct flyover over GST but expect congestion on Tambaram-Medavakkam Road between Selaiyur and MCC College Junction and between West Tambaram and Old Perungulathur on Mudichur Road.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 23:56   #1568
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I completed a 1-day B'lore-Chennai (Tambaram)-B'lore trip earlier this week.

For the Sriperumbudur-Tambaram stretch (both ways), I tried the Manimangalaram route and found it to be pretty good... At Sriperumbudur, I went past the Nokia factory on the right and took the u-turn at the Rajiv Gandhi memorial (no cops stopping the u-turns at that point). A few 100 metres later, I took the service road and turned left at the junction right there (there's a board marked Tambaram). A couple of km later, I took the right toward the JK tyre factory. After that the milestones clearly show the distance to Tambaram. ~20km from the Sriperumbudur turn-off to Tambaram. Good roads (surface wise), but 2-lane only... so you cannot rip. Near Manimangalam, there are a couple of blind turns. Watch out for them. On the return trip, just after Manimangalam, one lane was blocked by an election procession and I lost ~20 minutes.

Travel time
- onward: left HSR at 7.15am and reached Tambaram at 1pm with two 20-minute breaks
- return: left T'baram at 10.15am and reached HSR at 4.15pm with two short breaks.

PS: On the return trip, I tried the food at Murugan Idly Shop - Pongal was good, but the idli was nothing special.
kumards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 07:40   #1569
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,486
Thanked: 8,379 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumards View Post
At Sriperumbudur, I went past the Nokia factory on the right and took the u-turn at the Rajiv Gandhi memorial (no cops stopping the u-turns at that point). A few 100 metres later, I took the service road and turned left at the junction right there (there's a board marked Tambaram).
This is exactly what I have trying to find out. Does one need to go ahead and then take a U and come back to join the Tambaram road? Cant one take a right turn right at the junction? Is that service road between the Oragadam road and Tambaram road deviation points, a one way ?

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2014 at 07:44.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 10:41   #1570
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

^^^Yes it is indeed one way and there is usually a cop who will stop any attempt at right turn even onto the oragadam road. U turn is the only option and gives you peace of mind.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:53   #1571
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,207 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Did a Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore drive over last weekend.
Onward journey -17 April- Solo drive- Started from Bellandur at 3.45 AM, thanks to an empty Attibelle toll booth was able to reach Krishnagiri by 05.15 AM even after not taking BETL. Traffic was sparse through out and apart and stopped only for few minutes to check the Tyre temperature, hence was able to reach near Sriperumbedur in 3.45 hours.
Thanks to office traffic took another one hour to reach Vadapalani.

Return was on Monday, 21 April. Started from home in Vadapalani at 1.45 PM and reached home in Bangalore by 7.45 PM. Thanks to it being a working day most stressful route was from electronics city to Belandur.

Road condition update: Ranipet - Chennai roads are as usual in bad condition, the same with Hosur - Krishnagiri also. Krishnagiri - Ranipet is a bliss, 6 laning is completed apart from one deviation, which by the look of it will be done in another 2 months or so.
Hope they start Ranipet - Chennai section work soon.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 23:17   #1572
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 911
Thanked: 668 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did a Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore drive over last weekend.
Onward journey -17 April- Solo drive- Started from Bellandur at 3.45 AM, thanks to an empty Attibelle toll booth was able to reach Krishnagiri by 05.15 AM even after not taking BETL. Traffic was sparse through out and apart and stopped only for few minutes to check the Tyre temperature, hence was able to reach near Sriperumbedur in 3.45 hours.
Thanks to office traffic took another one hour to reach Vadapalani.

Return was on Monday, 21 April. Started from home in Vadapalani at 1.45 PM and reached home in Bangalore by 7.45 PM. Thanks to it being a working day most stressful route was from electronics city to Belandur.

Road condition update: Ranipet - Chennai roads are as usual in bad condition, the same with Hosur - Krishnagiri also. Krishnagiri - Ranipet is a bliss, 6 laning is completed apart from one deviation, which by the look of it will be done in another 2 months or so.
Hope they start Ranipet - Chennai section work soon.
+1.
I too did almost same, but in chittoor route both ways

Started on 17th morning 8:30 am (after voting) from C.V.Raman Nagar and reached Vadapalani by 2 pm including 45 minutes break for breakfast at Vasudev Adigas.
In return journey, left Vadapalani on Monday morning 5:45 am & reached C.V.Raman Nagar at 11 am including 1 hour break for fuel refill at Vedal BP COCO Bunk & breakfast at Nandi Plaza, Bangarupalayam.

The road conditions are very good all throughout till you hit GQ toll. Beyond that, its a sin to pay toll for such pathetic road.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 23rd April 2014 at 23:18.
ravib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 01:18   #1573
Newbie
 
kaushibeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumards View Post

For the Sriperumbudur-Tambaram stretch (both ways), I tried the Manimangalaram route and found it to be pretty good... At Sriperumbudur, I went past the Nokia factory on the right and took the u-turn at the Rajiv Gandhi memorial (no cops stopping the u-turns at that point). A few 100 metres later, I took the service road and turned left at the junction right there (there's a board marked Tambaram). A couple of km later, I took the right toward the JK tyre factory. After that the milestones clearly show the distance to Tambaram. ~20km from the Sriperumbudur turn-off to Tambaram. Good roads (surface wise), but 2-lane only... so you cannot rip.
I keep missing the road to Tambaram while coming from Bengaluru. The last time I remember I was driving slowly to ensure I take that turn, but still ended up in missing it.

Thank you for the info I ll keep an eye on Nokia & Sriperumbudur Junction Roundtana as landmarks.
kaushibeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 14:52   #1574
BHPian
 
Cooltronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 240 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
After much trial and error, I now prefer leaving Bangalore very early in the morning (clearing Hosur not later than 4:30 AM - hat tip to Ampere) or late in the afternoon (starting from Bangalore around 3 PM). In the former case I reach Chennai just as the morning rush hour is subsiding and in the latter case, when the evening rush hour is waning. I find these times peaceful and suitable for my BP :-) Now with the 6-laning of this GQ arm, I find that I can do door-to-door in no longer than 5.5 hours.



You cannot approach Gemini flyover from Guindy side and just "go under it" to turn into Radhakrishnan Salai. You need to turn left into one of the lanes a bit beyond Courtyard by Marriott and turn right into GN Chetty Road at the next junction. Then you need to go under the GN Chetty arm of the Gemini Flyover to emerge at the roundabout under the flyover and turn into RK Salai. If you are not used to this then you will definitely get confused; so I don't usually suggest this junction to newbies to Chennai.

If you just "go under it", then you will still emerge on GN Chetty Road but going the other way with no U-turn in sight.
I am a little delayed in thanking you for your advice and road guide. let me tell you it was a breeze reaching the destination with your help.
Actually, we started a little late in the day as we had no work in Chennai and reaching early would not have helped.
Left from my apartment at Hoodi- Whitefield @ 9:15 AM
Reached EC elevated highway tool both @ 9:45 AM- took 10 mins to cross it and we started on Hosur road @ 9:55 AM
Took a break at Sri Kirshna INN at 10:25 AM and started the journey back at 11:15 AM
Took the Krishnagiri left turn at 11:35 AM
We reached Pallikonde toll both at 12:25 PM, Valajpet at 12:55 PM , Kanchipuram at 1:25 PM and Sriperambedur at 1:55 PM
Traffic post Sriperambedur was little heavy with all deviations and city traffic, finally reached the hotel at 2:45 PM
Basically it took us 5 hours 30 minutes to reach the hotel and we didn't face any traffic jam. I had found similar traffic conditions on the same road (till Vellore) about a month before I took Chennai trip so I feel Saturday late morning's could also be a good time to travel instead of early morning's.
I was driving at an average speed of 100-110 Km/hr and it was not rash.
While coming back, it took us 6 hours 30 minutes and we saw huge pile up of trucks on the opposite carriageway towards Chennai as many have noted.

One lesson learnt hard way : While coming back when we sat in the car and started navigation, it refused to start in either of our mobiles for whatsoever reason . Somehow managed to find the way out to Sreperambedur and reach back home. Decided to keep an offline map handy henceforth anywhere we travel.
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 16:53   #1575
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 588
Thanked: 140 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

i had been a regular in this route (9 months - 18000 Kms), but didn't travel in last 1 year. I have plans to travel to Bangalore on 1st May and return on 4th. I will be traveling with wife. I stay in ECR and destination would be near K R Puram in Bangalore. Would ECR - Tambaram - Manimangala - Sri'dur - Pallikonda - Gudiyattam - Palmaner - Kolar - KR Puram the best and safest route even now? I will travel during broad daylight and no night driving. I plan to take the same route while coming back to Chennai as well.

Please advice
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries Blue Thunder Route / Travel Queries 234 19th October 2017 18:25
Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries bharanidharang Route / Travel Queries 218 29th September 2017 22:16
Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries polopm Route / Travel Queries 427 18th August 2017 08:54
Chennai - Hampi : Route Queries saurabh711 Route / Travel Queries 35 19th December 2015 13:13
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 69 8th February 2012 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks