Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th July 2014, 20:09   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Is it just me or have roads worsened from Ranipet to Chennai? I drove to Chennai last night and for the first time, ended up with a slight back pain after reaching home.

The worsening roads and an unusually high lorry traffic made the ride very uncomfortable. :thumbdown:
See post no. 1640. Even i experienced the same ordeal.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 20:27   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Just saw your post and it was precisely what I felt. They should not charge toll at Sri Perumbadur. With the monsoons, it is gonna get worse.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 22:58   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

Just saw your post. I drove down to chennai on 27th and reached poonamalle by around 11.00 PM. Saw the traffic jam just in time and followed a car and took the service lane. Never thought it would be such a bad mess at the time but realized it when I manage to cross it somehow after 30 mins on the service road. I was wondering what would have happened to those who got stuck with the huge container trucks. This is the second time in the last few months I got caught with the truck traffic near chennai.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 17:04   #1654

I drove from Bangalore to Chennai on August 6 via the Hosur route. The road was in very bad shape just before Attibele toll till about 25 kms or so. Having driven in Bangalore, no challenge was too big (except a flat, perhaps). I left home at 10:30AM, Bommanahalli junction 11 kms from home.

Fairly uneventful ride till the Krishnagiri ghat section. After that, I saw a dog dart across. I had to make a quick choice between jamming the brakes at 120 kph and risk spinning the car, or ramming the dog. I chose the latter. Heard a sickening thud and a yelp, and a white object flying past. Saw the dog running away to safety. Realized later the front number board was shattered and the flat plastic saved the dog. I was highly irritated when my mom who was beside me asked if the dog was alright!!

Fairly uneventful all the way through. My Bangalore lessons held me in good stead while overtaking huge trucks. One mishap that didn't occur due to God's grace- a Nano turned into my side of the road straight into the middle lane without bothering to look for passing vehicles. Bottomline- promoting the Nano as a highway car encourages newbies to switch to 4 wheelers and they do not know anything about handling cars.

Stopped for lunch after Vellore- Darling veg.hotel. Good hot lunch. Chennai and home at 1630- heaved a sigh of relief. I drove nearly 270 kms non stop at speeds averaging 90, engine heated up a bit rendering the AC useless. I'm wondering if I ought to top up the engine oil- did it only a day before the trip. Also need to get AC checked. Horrid miserable roads from Sriperumbudur to Chennai- driving in Bangalore stood me in good stead. Chennai's traffic is HEAVY, more so than Bangalore's, but then the wide roads allow space for more cars. Nobody in Chennai screams 'oyyy oyyy' in true Bangalore fashion and nobody uses the seat belts or turn indicators or even wipers, and most Chennai-ites keep both side mirrors folded and rely purely on the rear view mirror. There are cops EVERYWHERE in Chennai, keeping a close watch. The Innova police vehicles are intimidating, to say the least.

Bottomline- if you drive in Bangalore, you can drive anywhere in the world.

My car- Honda City automatic 2000 model, run 89k kms. In good condition, save for minor dings and dents. Gives me 17-18 on highway, 11-12 in the city.
sashwin99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 18:01   #1655
BHPian

Will be visiting Kanchipuram temple this Friday from Tambaram, Chennai. Assume i can stick to the Tambaram-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur-NH4-Kanchipuram route inspite of bad roads between Sriperumbudur and Kanchipuram. Or does anybody suggest the Vandalur-Wallajabad-Kanchipuram route over the Sriperumbudur route?
pisthpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 18:01   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashwin99 View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Chennai on August 6 via the Hosur route. The road was in very bad shape just before Attibele toll till about 25 kms or so. Having driven in Bangalore, no challenge was too big (except a flat, perhaps). I left home at 10:30AM, Bommanahalli junction 11 kms from home.
Yes, the stretch after Chennasamudiram toll onwards is pathetic. Not sure about the NHAI's apathy towards maintaining this road. Even if the road is made into a 8 lane road, driving between chennai and bangalore will always be a hellish one courtesy the amount of vehicular traffic.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th August 2014 at 19:58.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 19:46   #1657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Will be visiting Kanchipuram temple this Friday from Tambaram, Chennai. Assume i can stick to the Tambaram-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur-NH4-Kanchipuram route inspite of bad roads between Sriperumbudur and Kanchipuram. Or does anybody suggest the Vandalur-Wallajabad-Kanchipuram route over the Sriperumbudur route?
Kanchi-Walajabad is just about OK. You can see updates from people who go to Mahabalipuram from Bangalore. They often take this road to Chengalpet.

I dont know much about Orgadam-Walajabad. Beyond Oragadam its 4-lane till Tambaram.

Now I am also getting ideas to suggest for exploration! How about Tambaram-Singaperumal Kovil-Palur-Waljaabad-Kanchi.

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2014 at 19:50.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 19:56   #1658
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be driving from Chennai to Blore on this Friday or Saturday, depending on a dentist's appointment on friday.

Most likely i might return on Friday evening itself or early Sat morning.

Anyone who wants a ride, please PM me.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 07:04   #1659
BHPian

Madras High Court orders inspection Bangalore-Chennai Highway by an expert team on a PIL filed questioning collection of Toll for this Road. Detailed report on Times of India, today's edition!
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 09:11   #1660
Senior - BHPian

I would like to know the truck traffic condition for a 11:00 PM start from Bangalore. Also, some places for a quick pit-stop.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 09:14   #1661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I would like to know the truck traffic condition for a 11:00 PM start from Bangalore. Also, some places for a quick pit-stop.
- Sand trucks will always be there past Arcot. What you need is to time such that, you dont enter when the folks from office are getting out. Weekends/holidays should be OK.
- Food : Drive non-stop and go past Walaja toll. There is a Arya Bhavan. Quite good. This is my current favourite.
- Apart from that here are many many on the highway. Kanchi bypass CCD, Pallikonda CCD, Sai Sangeet, Mutugan Idly etc.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 09:16   #1662
BHPian

Hopefully there would be some improvement at last. Good news for all of us, is The Madras High Court on Wednesday directed the Indian Roads Congress (IRC) to nominate a team of experts to inspect the National Highway between Chennai and Vellore and submit a report. Refer link :http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6314900.ece The road has been Pathetic to say the least and NHAI says the road condition is good. Let us all hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
pisthpeeps, I would suggest you take the Vandalur-Wallajabad-Kanchipuram route. Did this route a few days back to the 1500 year old Naleneekeswarar ( Shiva ) temple at Ezhichur village 6 km from orgadam junction to walajabad and the vallakotai murugan temple and the journey was quite a breeze with very less traffic except a bit at vandalur and orgadam. The road condition was very good.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th August 2014 at 11:04. Reason: Back to back posts.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 10:57   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Sand trucks will always be there past Arcot. What you need is to time such that, you dont enter when the folks from office are getting out. Weekends/holidays should be OK.
- Food : Drive non-stop and go past Walaja toll. There is a Arya Bhavan. Quite good. This is my current favourite.
- Apart from that here are many many on the highway. Kanchi bypass CCD, Pallikonda CCD, Sai Sangeet, Mutugan Idly etc.
I am planning for tomorrow at 11:00 PM.
Arya Bhavan will be open during early hours as well? Is this immediately after the Walaja toll?
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 11:08   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I haven't started that late; but I have done 7 PM starts from both ends. Bangalore-Chennai is a big problem (worse than what is generally reported here) after Ranipet due to heavy truck traffic (probably all meant for Chennai's two ports). I don't remember many pitstops, but you will find all-night tea stalls with some limited snack options near the toll booths.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 11:13   #1665
BHPian

At 11 PM expect most of the food places to be closed except for CCD at Shoolagiri, Pallikonda and Kanchi-bypass. You can also stop at the small tea-shops found on the highway for Cofee/Tea. Since you are starting on a holiday you can expect less traffic. But if you can start early morning the next day then nothing like it, as you will not have to negotiate the crazy bus traffic at 11 PM.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote