Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 16:28   #2386
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I am planning a trip to Chennai tomorrow. Starting at 6AM from Bangalore. I am inclined to take the old madras road via Chitoor.

Is there any good restaurant for breakfast (around 9AM)? Preferably with some play area for kids.
vinodh_eee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 17:29   #2387
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you plan to head on radial ring road via Pallavaram, Manimangalam makes much more sense.
My destination (origin tomorrow) is Navallur. I usually take Sriperumbudur-Oragadam-Vandalur-Kelambakkam-Navallur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Starting at 6AM from Bangalore. I am inclined to take the old madras road via Chitoor.

Is there any good restaurant for breakfast (around 9AM)? Preferably with some play area for kids.
With your timings, Woody's at Kolar might come too early. There is a restaurant I go just beyond Bangarupalya on the right (when going towards Chittoor). It is behind a petrol pump and perhaps less than a km after the bustle of the town. Forgot its name now; but it is quite spacious. Play area - nope.

Edit: Mind you, at your start time you'll end up in traffic pileups at all towns - Palamneru, Bangarupalya, Ranipet and Walajapet (Chittoor has a bypass). You might want to reconsider. The Walajapet one will be particularly tiresome.

Last edited by binand : 27th August 2016 at 17:31.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 18:27   #2388
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Edit: Mind you, at your start time you'll end up in traffic pileups at all towns - Palamneru, Bangarupalya, Ranipet and Walajapet (Chittoor has a bypass). You might want to reconsider. The Walajapet one will be particularly tiresome.
I guessed about the traffic, but have no other options. Also, I thought there is a bypass for Walajapet. A right turn after Ranipet joins the BLR-Chennai highway earlier and bypasses Walajapet. I will check in GMaps. Thanks for the heads-up.
vinodh_eee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 19:10   #2389
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
I guessed about the traffic, but have no other options. Also, I thought there is a bypass for Walajapet. A right turn after Ranipet joins the BLR-Chennai highway earlier and bypasses Walajapet. I will check in GMaps. Thanks for the heads-up.
You're right. I think you're talking of Ranipet-Arcot. It's a few kilometres longer though.

There's another road before Ranipet, even before you cross into TN, that joins GQ at Vellore. That might be more suitable as it avoids Ranipet and also a railway gate.

And then, there's Palamneru-Gudiyattam-Pallikonda.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 19:22   #2390
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 177
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
I am planning a trip to Chennai tomorrow. Starting at 6AM from Bangalore. I am inclined to take the old madras road via Chitoor.

Is there any good restaurant for breakfast (around 9AM)? Preferably with some play area for kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
With your timings, Woody's at Kolar might come too early. There is a restaurant I go just beyond Bangarupalya on the right (when going towards Chittoor). It is behind a petrol pump and perhaps less than a km after the bustle of the town. Forgot its name now; but it is quite spacious. Play area - nope.

Edit: Mind you, at your start time you'll end up in traffic pileups at all towns - Palamneru, Bangarupalya, Ranipet and Walajapet (Chittoor has a bypass). You might want to reconsider. The Walajapet one will be particularly tiresome.
I went to Chennai 2 weeks back in this route. Starting around the same time as you. The restaurant binand is referring to is probably Nandi Food Plaza which is behind Reliance Petrol bunk just after Bangarupalayam town. Lots & lots of parking space. Food is average. kids will have space to just run around. no play area.
I took Ranipet-Walajahpet route. Road condition between Chitoor bypass and Walajahpet were superb (near BHEL township). It was bliss to drive. However be careful inside Ranipet & Walajahpet towns - add 15 minutes to your travel time. Road condition from Chennasamudram toll plaza to Chennai are very bumpy. Drive safe.
srvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 16:06   #2391
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Managed to start only by 8 and stopped for breakfast at the new Mcdonald's. It is located just after Kolar, opposite to Adigas at 65km from KR puram.

Also took the Arakkonam, Sriperumpudhur, Mudichur route. It took 7 hours including a 45 min break.
vinodh_eee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 07:47   #2392
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,486
Thanked: 8,379 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Also took the Arakkonam, Sriperumpudhur, Mudichur route. It took 7 hours including a 45 min break.
Is this worth it compared to standard route? (I meant Chittoor-Arakkonam-Sriperumbudur) Because anyway you chose to go with Mudichur 2-lane option as an entry to Chennai.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 08:12   #2393
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Managed to start only by 8 and stopped for breakfast at the new Mcdonald's. It is located just after Kolar, opposite to Adigas at 65km from KR puram.

Also took the Arakkonam, Sriperumpudhur, Mudichur route. It took 7 hours including a 45 min break.
How is the road condition of Arakkonam-Sriperumbudur stretch? Once I came via Tiruvallur-Tiruthanni-Nagari-Pallipettu-Chittoor to Bangalore. Excellent roads all the way
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 09:22   #2394
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,094
Thanked: 2,392 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Saw this posted on FB and hence sharing. Not sure if this has been implemented. Chennai folks please confirm.
Quote:
Tamil to English Translation:
All roads leading to Chennai, administered by the NHAI have been installed with a laser speed camera. Exceeding speeds of 100km will attract a fine of Rs. 400 for the first offence and Rs. 1000 for a repeat offence. Fines collected in the consecutive toll booths, post violation.
Source: HVK group facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 13:13   #2395
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is this worth it compared to standard route? (I meant Chittoor-Arakkonam-Sriperumbudur) Because anyway you chose to go with Mudichur 2-lane option as an entry to Chennai.
Mainly I wanted to avoid the poor quality GQ road and traffic between Ranipet and Sriperumbudur. That purpose was served. Besides the difference in distance is less than 5km.




Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How is the road condition of Arakkonam-Sriperumbudur stretch? Once I came via Tiruvallur-Tiruthanni-Nagari-Pallipettu-Chittoor to Bangalore. Excellent roads all the way
Road from Chitoor to Arakkonam is very good with very less traffic (more scenic too, compared to the GQ). The traffic between Arakkonam and Sriperumbudur is considerably more. The roads are also good except for a 5km stretch, where road widening is ongoing.

The route I took went through Chitoor, Ponnai, Sholingur, Arakkonam, Sriperumbudur, Mudichur and Tambaram.
vinodh_eee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 06:05   #2396
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Typically I do a morning evening return routine between Chennai - Hoskote whenever I visit our factory. It started becoming serious pain doing the Karnataka Border - Chittoor stretch with all the slow moving lorry traffic and local traffic as well. On the way to Hoskote it is still manageable but the return routine is horribly bad with traffic

Starting later than 7:30 PM solved the problem with lesser traffic while I reach Palamaner but meant reaching Chennai around midnight which was tiring after a long day.

Off late I have started using Palamaner - Gudiyatham - Pallikonda route while coming back from Bangalore in the evening. Except for the stretch between Gudiyatham & Pallikonda which has traffic and some rough roads, super roads all the way and much faster than the regular route between Palamaner & Ranipet. Only downside is the toll one needs to pay at Pallikonda.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:40   #2397
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,486
Thanked: 8,379 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Off late I have started using Palamaner - Gudiyatham - Pallikonda route while coming back from Bangalore in the evening. Except for the stretch between Gudiyatham & Pallikonda which has traffic and some rough roads, super roads all the way and much faster than the regular route between Palamaner & Ranipet. Only downside is the toll one needs to pay at Pallikonda.
Is it comfortable to drive on this stretch at night? Did you feel the need for GPS?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:50   #2398
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it comfortable to drive on this stretch at night? Did you feel the need for GPS?
I had taken this route a few times in the past. Palamneru-Gudiyattam is very light on traffic; but is quite reasonably populated. There are houses and shops all throughout (except perhaps a short ghat section). You won't notice the interstate border unless you are looking for it - not much truck traffic either. It is one straight route till Gudiyattam where at a crossroads you simply go straight to Pallikonda (left is GQ near Vellore via Katpadi; not sure of road conditions). I didn't think there is anything particularly unsafe about this route - still, it is not one I'd take with family.

Gudiyattam-Pallikonda is a bit of a mess; but it is a short stretch.

Last edited by binand : 3rd September 2016 at 10:52.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 18:48   #2399
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 45
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Hi All, I live on Hosur Road near silkboard and need to reach Keelkatalai near Velachery tomorrow. Google maps suggests the shortest route Ambur- Vellore- Ranipet - Sriperumbudur - Chrompet- Keelkatalai as the shortest route. Is this the correct one or should I think of any alternate routes? I want to drive peacefully on the smoothest of roads with minimum possible traffic. Don't we all?

Please help. Thanks.

Last edited by vasant.guru@gma : 3rd September 2016 at 18:56.
vasant.guru@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:18   #2400
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
Hi All, I live on Hosur Road near silkboard and need to reach Keelkatalai near Velachery tomorrow. Google maps suggests the shortest route Ambur- Vellore- Ranipet - Sriperumbudur - Chrompet- Keelkatalai as the shortest route. Is this the correct one or should I think of any alternate routes? I want to drive peacefully on the smoothest of roads with minimum possible traffic. Don't we all?

Please help. Thanks.
What time are you starting? I did go through Mudichur, Tambaram GST road up to Pallavaram, 200 ft road on to Keelkatalai.

Roads are good. A bit narrow near Mudichur. Traffic depends on time if travel.
vinodh_eee is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries Blue Thunder Route / Travel Queries 234 19th October 2017 18:25
Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries bharanidharang Route / Travel Queries 218 29th September 2017 22:16
Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries polopm Route / Travel Queries 427 18th August 2017 08:54
Chennai - Hampi : Route Queries saurabh711 Route / Travel Queries 35 19th December 2015 13:13
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 69 8th February 2012 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks