Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 13:12   #2506
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Folks

Does anyone have updates on the Attibele-Ballur road. Is it motorable by car. While going to Hosur, if I take the Ballur road, do i need to take a U turn at the NH intersection ?
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 07:05   #2507
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I drove to Nanganallur,Chennai on 18th Oct by car. It took me about 1/2 hr to cross Electronic city itself. Left Bommanahalli by 2:30 PM, went via TVS Factory and Hosur by pass road before joining the NH.
The Attibele-TVS Road on the Karnataka side is in pretty bad shape as it has always been. Lots of potholes. Post TVS factory, the road is a breeze to drive.
After the Walajahpet toll, the NH is pretty average resulting in bumpy drive for the rest of the journey. I took the SH110 route via Manimangalam. The road from Rajiv Gandhi Memorial till Navalur is average with lots of potholes. Post Navalur the road is an excellent stretch.
I did not face any traffic issues in Chennai right from Tambaram till Nanganallur. Reached home in Nanganallur by 8 45 PM (non stop driving).
I took the same route for the return journey as well. Left Nanganallur by 4 30 PM on 19th Oct and reached Bommanahalli by 11 15 PM.
After the Hosa road signal, was caught in a massive traffic jam all the way till the Nice road -NH intersection. After this the stretch was pretty free to drive.
No issues whatsoever on the Cauvery water as seen on the roads. Spotted quite a number of KA vehicles as well.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 15:38   #2508
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I need to travel to Bangalore urgently, either tomorrow or Sunday with family. Is it advisable to take a TN registered car to Bangalore? I will be returning back to Chennai the very same day. Can anyone provide a status on the scenario at Hosur-Attibele stretch and driving around Bangalore in a TN registered car?
pgrcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 15:58   #2509
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,695
Thanked: 1,640 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrcrazy View Post
I need to travel to Bangalore urgently, either tomorrow or Sunday with family. Is it advisable to take a TN registered car to Bangalore? I will be returning back to Chennai the very same day. Can anyone provide a status on the scenario at Hosur-Attibele stretch and driving around Bangalore in a TN registered car?
Seems quite safe at the moment, go ahead. Given the timelines I am not sure if you can spend more than a couple of hours doing whatever at Bangalore before you have to rest and then drive back. I hope you have someone who can share driving.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 17:56   #2510
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrcrazy View Post
I need to travel to Bangalore urgently, either tomorrow or Sunday with family. Is it advisable to take a TN registered car to Bangalore? I will be returning back to Chennai the very same day. Can anyone provide a status on the scenario at Hosur-Attibele stretch and driving around Bangalore in a TN registered car?
I drove to Chennai on 18th October in my TN registered Santro and returned the next day with family to Bangalore. No issues at all. You can drive with your family leaving your worries behind.

I did see KA registered cars plying on Chennai roads and I have been using my TN registered car back in Bangalore for occasional city driving as well

Last edited by suresh_gs : 21st October 2016 at 18:23.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 18:34   #2511
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Seems quite safe at the moment, go ahead. Given the timelines I am not sure if you can spend more than a couple of hours doing whatever at Bangalore before you have to rest and then drive back. I hope you have someone who can share driving.
Ok thank you, plan is to start at 5:00AM in the morning and leave Bangalore at around 8:00PM in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I drove to Chennai on 18th October in my TN registered Santro and returned the next day with family to Bangalore. No issues at all. You can drive with your family leaving your worries behind.

I did see KA registered cars plying on Chennai roads and I have been using my TN registered car back in Bangalore for occasional city driving as well
Thank you that's a relief.

I've done this stretch numerous times both during the day and night but after the cauvery issue I've yet to take this road (Sriperambadur-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur route). Since, I will be traveling with family I just want to be cautious.
pgrcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 14:46   #2512
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,003
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I'd done a Chennai-Bangalore-Chennai during the past weekend. The roads are pretty okay except between Sri Perumbudhur and Chennasamudram Toll plaza as this stretch is just a dual carriage way with quite a bumpy surface.

Overall it took me 4 hrs one way at an average speed of 100Kph.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 08:09   #2513
BHPian
 
kutoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Dear Friends,

I'm driving down from Pune to Chennai this diwali vacation. My plan is as follows

Oct 28 Pune to Davangere. Halting for the night in Davangere
Oct 29 Davangere to Chennai.

What would be an ideal time to leave from Davangere.

The objective is to escape peak bangalore traffic. I'll be following google maps guidance, which says to use NICE road and then on to Hosur.

Also any recommendations on good vegetarian hotels in Hosur? I'm travelling with my wife and two young kids who are a bit finicky about outside food.

TIA for your help
Cheers

Last edited by kutoos : 26th October 2016 at 08:10. Reason: Corrected typos
kutoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 08:41   #2514
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
The objective is to escape peak bangalore traffic. I'll be following google maps guidance, which says to use NICE road and then on to Hosur.
Yes, that is the best option; and it oughtn't matter what time you leave Davengere (the ingress/egress points/tolls at the ends of NICE road will be crowded round the clock anyway).

The other option I can think of is to take off the GQ towards NH 207 at Dabaspete towards Hoskote and then take the NH 4 from there to Chittoor/Ranipet/Chennai. This probably avoids all of Bangalore traffic, and there is Woody's in Kolar for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Also any recommendations on good vegetarian hotels in Hosur? I'm travelling with my wife and two young kids who are a bit finicky about outside food.
Not at Hosur; but outside Shoolagiri (about 25-30 km beyond Hosur) there is a Saravana Bhavan and an A2B attached to dependable fuel stations and are well signposted.

Edit: Forgot, now there is a new A2B in Hosur town itself.

Last edited by binand : 26th October 2016 at 08:42.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 08:42   #2515
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,051
Thanked: 2,222 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
What would be an ideal time to leave from Davangere.
Davangere - NICE road entry would be 4 hours of easy cruising but do expect some heavy traffic as soon as you enter Tumkur. I would ideally leave as early as possible to try and minimize the time spent between Tumkur - NICE road - Hosur. Would suggest a 5 am start with a breakfast halt at kamat dabaspet. Check the Bangalore - Goa thread for more breakfast recommendations.

Quote:
The objective is to escape peak bangalore traffic. I'll be following google maps guidance, which says to use NICE road and then on to Hosur.

Also any recommendations on good vegetarian hotels in Hosur? I'm travelling with my wife and two young kids who are a bit finicky about outside food.
Google maps should work fine. The route you want to take is Tumkur - NICE road entrance - Nice road exit on Hosur road - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai. I think traffic will be a constant given that its a long weekend and you might have to be mentally prepared for long waits at tolls.

Pure veg restaurants, search this there. There are enough and more but a few that come to mind are:
1. Saravana Bhavan - Shoolagiri. Will surely be super crowded hence you might want to consider Adithya Bhavan - https://goo.gl/maps/LpUmoRfE42t which is a veg restaurant with OK food and clean loos at the reliance petrol pump before shoolagiri
2. Sai Sangeet -just after vaniyambadi https://goo.gl/maps/Z5HbWPLhbg62
3. A2B @ Arcot

Also there are multiple ways to enter chennai and hence depending on what your final destination is, you might want to check what is the best route to take to enter chennai. Again searching this thread should give you the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The other option I can think of is to take off the GQ towards NH 207 at Dabaspete towards Hoskote and then take the NH 4 from there to Chittoor/Ranipet/Chennai. This probably avoids all of Bangalore traffic, and there is Woody's in Kolar for food.
After Woody's there is no decent rest stop and hence this might not be a good route if you are travelling with young kids who need rest stops.

Quote:
Edit: Forgot, now there is a new A2B in Hosur town itself.
Didn't know that. Is this the one? https://goo.gl/maps/eceiuNxnYDp

Last edited by procrj : 26th October 2016 at 08:47.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 08:45   #2516
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Dear Friends,

I'm driving down from Pune to Chennai this diwali vacation. My plan is as follows
Where is your destination in Chennai. If it is down south, then going via Manimangalam makes sense. If your destination happens to be somewhere near Guindy / T Nagar then going via Sriperumbudur / Kathipara junction makes sense.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 10:09   #2517
BHPian
 
kutoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 126
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The other option I can think of is to take off the GQ towards NH 207 at Dabaspete towards Hoskote and then take the NH 4 from there to Chittoor/Ranipet/Chennai. This probably avoids all of Bangalore traffic, and there is Woody's in Kolar for food.
@binand, thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at this route as an alternative. Do you have an idea of how the roads are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Davangere - NICE road entry would be 4 hours of easy cruising but do expect some heavy traffic as soon as you enter Tumkur. I would ideally leave as early as possible to try and minimize the time spent between Tumkur - NICE road - Hosur. Would suggest a 5 am start with a breakfast halt at kamat dabaspet. Check the Bangalore - Goa thread for more breakfast recommendations.
@procrj, Thanks for the heads up. To be honest, consecutive 5 AM start is sure going to burn more than rubber on this trip. As it is, I'm the lone ranger crusading for this trip, and i've already used my trump card at Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
you might have to be mentally prepared for long waits at tolls.
Yes this is anyways accounted for. Hoping the gods are kind to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Pure veg restaurants, search this there. There are enough and more but a few that come to mind are:
1. Saravana Bhavan - Shoolagiri. Will surely be super crowded hence you might want to consider Adithya Bhavan - https://goo.gl/maps/LpUmoRfE42t which is a veg restaurant with OK food and clean loos at the reliance petrol pump before shoolagiri
2. Sai Sangeet -just after vaniyambadi https://goo.gl/maps/Z5HbWPLhbg62
3. A2B @ Arcot
Wow, the above sure helps, willl plan so that i try to hit them during non peak hours or there is no such thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Where is your destination in Chennai. If it is down south, then going via Manimangalam makes sense. If your destination happens to be somewhere near Guindy / T Nagar then going via Sriperumbudur / Kathipara junction makes sense.
@suresh_gs, my final destination is Alandur, hence will be taking Sriperambadur ==> kathipara route

Last edited by kutoos : 26th October 2016 at 10:13. Reason: Replies were incorrectly quoted
kutoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 10:20   #2518
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Didn't know that. Is this the one? https://goo.gl/maps/eceiuNxnYDp
Probably. It is indeed adjacent to a Chennai Silks showroom. The point to remember is that it is accessible from the carriageway towards Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
@binand, thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at this route as an alternative. Do you have an idea of how the roads are?
Devanahalli-Hoskote route is sometimes taken by people I know from Whitefield/Kadugodi side to reach KIAL, and I believe is generally good. Dabaspete-Dodballapur-Devanahalli is a bit of an unknown even for me; you might want to refer to this thread.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 20:45   #2519
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 887
Thanked: 638 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Friends,

Anyone recently traveled via Sriperumbudur-Kundrathur-Porur road ? How is the road conditions.

https://goo.gl/maps/Zf7miHkHzCJ2

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 23:40   #2520
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,585
Thanked: 4,289 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Also any recommendations on good vegetarian hotels in Hosur? I'm travelling with my wife and two young kids who are a bit finicky about outside food.
At Hosur, just a few kilometers after crossing the Attibele toll and entering the TN side, you will see a Chennai silks showroom on right side with large signage that is difficult to miss, that building also has an A2B which is decent. However it is on right side so you need to enter service road and make a U turn to get to the service road on other side.
Alternatively, you can stop at Sai Sangeet at Vaniyambadi (about 110 km from Hosur) on left side.
Other options about 25-30km from Hosur are Krishna inn inside an IOC/HP (forgot) petrol bunk campus at Shoolagiri, this place also has a McD so easy to spot on the left. This is better than the A2B at Chinnar another 5km away from Shoolagiri inside a Bharat Petroleum bunk campus.

Last edited by NPV : 26th October 2016 at 23:47.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries polopm Route / Travel Queries 427 18th August 2017 08:54
Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries Blue Thunder Route / Travel Queries 233 3rd May 2017 16:15
Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries bharanidharang Route / Travel Queries 213 7th June 2016 10:16
Chennai - Hampi : Route Queries saurabh711 Route / Travel Queries 35 19th December 2015 13:13
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 69 8th February 2012 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks