Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th June 2017, 09:06   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Safe it isn't .. driving down to bangalore and about an hour back I saw a huge pileup at one such barricade, mostly motorcycles, about 43 km from vellore. The opposite side of the road (towards chennai) was jammed for about half a km because of this accident.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 09:53   #2732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Did anybody notice the new set of "Vellore District Police" barricades starting from MelVisharam (between Ranipet and Vellore) all the way till about Vaniyambadi almost every 50Kms.
Definitely better than the humps in other states on a 4 lane highway.
Drove from Bangalore to Chennai on Saturday 24th June and returned back to Bangalore on 26th June.
For the first time as far as my memory goes, I noticed lot of barricades enroute at Vaniyambadi, Ambur, Vellore. I guess this is being done to control speed. But any day better than having speed breakers on the NH.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2017 at 10:34. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 16:54   #2733
BHPian

What would be the best route from KR puram to Vaniyambadi, Google maps is showing Different routes

1. Kr puram - Hoskote - Malur - baglur - hosur - krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi
2. Kr puram - Whitefiled - Attibele - hosur - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi
3. Kr puram - EC - Attibele - hosur - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi
4. Kr puram - Kolar - Mulabagal - Venkatagiri kota - Ambur - Vaniyambadi

I am looking for quickest. Travelling with Family

Thank you
kishore1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 17:17   #2734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
What would be the best route from KR puram to Vaniyambadi. I am looking for quickest. Travelling with Family

You generally can't go wrong with this. At peak traffic hours you might want to try something else but I don't think with today's conditions any other route would be substantially better.

KR Pura > ORR > Silk Board > BETL > Attibele > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vaniyambadi.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 17:21   #2735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
What would be the best route from KR puram to Vaniyambadi, Google maps is showing Different routes

1. Kr puram - Hoskote - Malur - baglur - hosur - krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi
2. Kr puram - Whitefiled - Attibele - hosur - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi
4. Kr puram - Kolar - Mulabagal - Venkatagiri kota - Ambur - Vaniyambadi

I am looking for quickest. Travelling with Family

Thank you
Fastest route is via Hosur, Krishnagiri . No second thoughts on this route.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:53   #2736
BHPian

I have recently shifted to Chennai, of course from Bengaluru. I have completed two loops over the past three weeks. In my puny Alto, it takes me about 7 hours to complete the journey, beginning at Nagadevanahalli (Kengeri) and ending at Perungudi, Chennai. Throw-in an hours break in between. So, about 6 hours is required for this trip. I think about 20 minutes goes at the toll. More than the time, it is exhaustion that has got me worried. I would be completing two loops a month at the minimum over the next 1 year, and which might get extended to multiple years too.
What is the average time to cover this distance for you?

Will upgrading to a powerful hatch help? Between Figo, Aspire, and EcoSport, what would be a better choice? Is a used Innova or Honda City a good choice?

Last edited by PNTLovesNano : 2nd July 2017 at 10:55. Reason: More details.
PNTLovesNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:04   #2737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
Will upgrading to a powerful hatch help? Between Figo, Aspire, and EcoSport, what would be a better choice? Is a used Innova or Honda City a good choice?
This definitely is not the problem. An Alto can easily do a consistent 90-100 and thats all is what you need.

Its surely the start and end times. By the time the time you hit Hosur road from Kengeri, it takes out 35-40 minutes. And then if you start late, not to mention the traffic from Bangalore to Krishnagiri. Plus there are customised ways to enter Chennai depending on location.

For Perungudi, the best option is : Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam-Tambaram-Pallavaram-Perungudi. (Should give a deterministic 1 hour Sriperumbudur 4-lane exit)

Basically avoids all traffic on NH4 beyond Sriperumbudur.

Route Link

Having said all this upgrading to a powerful car is always better. More importantly a safer car !

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2017 at 11:08.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 12:05   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
I have recently shifted to Chennai, of course from Bengaluru.
Bigger and more powerful cars are a lot less taxing on the body as the engines are a lot less strained. Ride quality and safety too improve tremendously.

I have personally felt this every time I upgraded - first from the Maruti 800 to the Swift Vdi and then from the Swift to the VW Vento . The family Innova was totally a different story altogether for big family holidays.
A big , more powerful hatch would be great . I would suggest a diesel hatch like the Ford FIGO/ VW Polo for a start. They munch highway miles like no others do in this price range with safety to boot.
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 12:29   #2739
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The journey time is more a function of the day and time chosen than the vehicle used.
I would suggest you do these things before upgrading the car:
1. Start early (4am gives you consistent timings usually regardless of the day) helps you get out of the city quickly
2. Take NICE Road (I guess you already do this)
3. Get Fastag, helps save some time since all tolls on Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore are Fastag enabled.
4. Try to cut down your breaks to 30-40 minutes, maybe a 30 minute one for a food stop and another 10 minute one for tea/coffee/rest room.

Do the above and see if your timings improve.

In Phase 2 you can upgrade to a more powerful and safer car. It will definitely help reduce tiredness and stress, possibly improve timings too due to better pickup and cruising capabilities.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 18:31   #2740
BHPian

Due to GST effect, now that border checkposts are dismantled in TN & KA, I hope there will be no longer truck traffic occupying 2 lanes in Hosur Zuzuvadi area or immediately after Attibelle toll towards Bangalore.

Or do they still cause traffic jams for paying state permit fee and occupying 1 to 2 lanes?

Any one who recently traveled in last two days can confirm how is the traffic situations in border?

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 19:34   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Due to GST effect, now that border checkposts are dismantled in TN & KA, I hope there will be no longer truck traffic occupying 2 lanes in Hosur Zuzuvadi area or immediately after Attibelle toll towards Bangalore.

Or do they still cause traffic jams for paying state permit fee and occupying 1 to 2 lanes?

Any one who recently traveled in last two days can confirm how is the traffic situations in border?

-Ravi
I came back from Chennai on Sunday evening and the place was completely devoid of trucks.. Crossed the whole stretch in 10 seconds..
satan's_valet is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 20:40   #2742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
-Ravi
I came across the below news which says, Checkposts to operate under different name in Karnataka - Physical Verification (PV) centres.

Physical Verification (PV) centres
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 18:01   #2743
BHPian

Folks,

Will be traveling to Chennai for 3-4 days. Will be starting on a Friday (around 5AM), from HSR Layout, Bangalore. Destination Chennai, is Krishnapuram, Mylapore.

As per google maps, the proposed route is via Krishnagiri > Ambur > Vellore > Arcot > Sri Perambudur > Chennai. Is this the fastest and smoothest route ?

The last leg into Chennai city, to my destination is the one in the attachment. Assuming that I'd be reaching around 11/11:30AM on a Friday, is that the best approach for the final leg ?

Is there any reason to explore a different return route, as I'd be starting Monday afternoon.

Thanks in anticipation.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-tochennai_lastleg.png  

bdutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 18:07   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Folks,

Will be traveling to Chennai for 3-4 days. Will be starting on a Friday (around 5AM), from HSR Layout, Bangalore. Destination Chennai, is Krishnapuram, Mylapore.

As per google maps, the proposed route is via Krishnagiri > Ambur > Vellore > Arcot > Sri Perambudur > Chennai. Is this the fastest and smoothest route ?
The route you have mentioned is the fastest route till Chennasamudram toll plaza. After this the highway becomes a 4 lane as against 6 lane from Bangalore to Chennasamudram toll plaza.
Post this toll plaza, the road is good in stretches and in some stretches it becomes a bumpy drive. Otherwise no issues at all.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 18:56   #2745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kr puram - Hoskote - Malur - baglur - hosur - krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi
The time you may waste in ORR is totally saved after you take the elevated express way. Net-Net there is absolutely no difference in time taken to cover this distance via Hokote or ORR road.

When you take ORR right after 5th main road in HSR layout after Agara, take the service lane. Best bet is take the 27th Main road and take inner roads to hit the silk board service lane and there by avoiding the only traffic there.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote