Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 09:03   #616
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,967
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you can really leave at 4am, drive the Vellore-Krishnagiri route regardless of your destination, you'll definitely cross Attibele by 8 beyond that can't say
I'm not too sure about this - this time of the year I have encountered heavy fog between Poonamallee and Kanjeepuram in the early mornings, slowing me down to a crawl and at times, even to a complete stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Am curious to know, how's the traffic patterns in Chitoor route especially Ranipet to Palamaner. What is the best and worst time to negotiate the section ?
I did this route a few days back (travelogue a few posts above). My observations are:

- Walajapet town, with no bypass, can be a penance depending on the time of day.
- Ranipet is not the problem; traffic builds up only after the road from Vellore merges with NH4. Between these two points the only unknown is a railway gate.
- The TN-AP border has a separate area earmarked for truckers awaiting ST/RTO clearance. No issue there either.
- The AP-KA border does not have similar facilities (at least, I didn't see any). Trucks are parked all over the place on the road side. This can lead to pile ups.
- A bunch of towns have proper bypasses (Ranipet, Chittoor etc.) but the road goes through CBD areas of several others. All these towns have built median walls, so you can be stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle with no option to overtake.
- Watch out for the APSRTC drivers - they seem to think the road is a one-way.
- Once you enter KA, the 4-laned dual carriageway starts I think within 20km.

I did this trip early in the morning. It was a pleasant drive for me. Others have reported heavy traffic late mornings and afternoons. I don't think it is a good idea to go through this route in the night.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 12:25   #617
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 746 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm not too sure about this - this time of the year I have encountered heavy fog between Poonamallee and Kanjeepuram in the early mornings, slowing me down to a crawl and at times, even to a complete stop.
Not just Poondamalee to Kanchipuram, all the way to Pallikonda, Vaniyambadi infact. I went through the same, last Monday with visibility < 100m. Was able to maintain 60-80 without much issues even without a lead vehicle.
~~~~~
Pre-NH46 4-laning, the Chittoor route was an absolute beauty. Except for few trucks, there was barely any traffic on this route in the early mid-90s, sad its gone this bad :(

Walajah is a mess, experienced it at 830pm once last year.

I don't think I'd hit AP-KA border, I'd be heading towards Anantapur from Palamaner, not Bangalore.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 22:38   #618
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 203
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Where exactly do you want to go in Bangalore. Depending on that can suggest a route and food options
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
The best road would be to use the GQ stretch. Chennai - Kanchipuram - vellore - ambur- krishnagiri - hosur - Blr

Always the best stretch to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Thats the best route. a bit longer but much better than the alternative via ranipet > Chittor > mulbagal > kolar > bangalore.its a two lane road vs the 4 lane via hosur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Add to that - the options to get out of Chennai City:
(Since it is 4 AM, it may not be of much concern though)

The fastest (yet the longest) will be taking Tambaram-Chennai Byepass- to join PH Road. The cons being the extra distance, and the 30 Rs toll you need to pay.
Though I don't know for sure the latest road surface condition, the other option, the shortest route is via Mudichur Road (from Tambaram) to join NH4 near Sriperumbudur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you can really leave at 4am, drive the Vellore-Krishnagiri route regardless of your destination, you'll definitely cross Attibele by 8 beyond that can't say
~~~~~
Am curious to know, how's the traffic patterns in Chitoor route especially Ranipet to Palamaner. What is the best and worst time to negotiate the section ?

Thanks every one,I have driven to munnar and ooty by car, but when comes to Bangalore i am still a Rookie! and seems like i have forgotten all the routes :(.

i want the best 4 lane route, looks like GQ route is the best, also i will be going to Whitefield, so should i have to enter Bangalore city to go to whitefield or from Hosur i can have a detour?

so according to Aravind this is the best GQ route right?
Chennai - Kanchipuram - vellore - ambur- krishnagiri - hosur - Blr
krish82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 22:48   #619
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,967
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
i want the best 4 lane route, looks like GQ route is the best, also i will be going to Whitefield, so should i have to enter Bangalore city to go to whitefield or from Hosur i can have a detour?
I will always recommend the GQ route to anyone who is not familiar with the road network around Bangalore. Which in this case is: Chennai-Sriperumbudur-Vaniyambadi-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Attibele-BETL.

To get to Whitefield, after BETL you take a right turn onto ORR at Silk Board, follow the road till Marathahalli and then somehow hit Varthur Road from there.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 12:28   #620
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 942
Thanked: 721 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

To reach whitefield, you are not required to come all the way upto Electronic city or BETL or SilkBoard junction.

There is other alternate where you can take right after Attibele toll both, which goes to varthur and then to whitefield. It is a 2 lane road which directly takes you to whitefield (may need to ask for direction in case if you can't find the route from google maps), but this will allow you to skip the bangalore traffic depending on the time you cross attilebele.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 20:06   #621
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,851
Thanked: 633 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Hi all

I am driving down to Chennai(Tambaram east to be very precise) from my home in KR Puram Bangalore. This is my first trip towards Chennai. After going through the thread i feel below route is best

BLR-hosur-krishnagiri-Vellore-kanchipuram-sriperumbudur(diversion) towards tambaram

Since i have never traveled in this direction, i need some feedback on things to watch out. Especially sriperumbudur-tambaram stretch since i did not find much information about it.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:36   #622
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,967
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Especially sriperumbudur-tambaram stretch since i did not find much information about it.
For my last two trips, I have been taking the Poonamallee Bypass - Maduravoyal interchange - Chennai Bypass - Tambaram route. Good roads all through, just an extra Rs. 30 toll on the bypass. Maybe you should consider that?
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:18   #623
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 887
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

@ rajshenoy
There are two routes from Sriperambadur to Tambaram.
First route via Manimangalam that is a single road no shoulder and lot of potholes.
Second route via Oragadam-Padappai-Vandalur.
The second route is better,There is a flyover construction at Oragadam where you have to turn left to Tambaram.
About 2-3 kms is bad otherwise this is a better route than through Manimangalam.
Do not enter into Tambaram as the roads are narrow and lot of road works going on.
Better to reach Vandalur and go towards Tambaram. The distance is more but the roads are better.

Last edited by gajadonga : 22nd December 2011 at 10:19.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:28   #624
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,851
Thanked: 633 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
For my last two trips, I have been taking the Poonamallee Bypass - Maduravoyal interchange - Chennai Bypass - Tambaram route. Good roads all through, just an extra Rs. 30 toll on the bypass. Maybe you should consider that?
Thanks.

I checked in Google maps and your suggestion is only additional 6 kms over the default route showed by google(the sriperumbudur-tambaram road SH110?) i really dont mind paying extra money if roads are good and less confusion/traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
@ rajshenoy
There are two routes from Sriperambadur to Tambaram.
First route via Manimangalam that is a single road no shoulder and lot of potholes.
Second route via Oragadam-Padappai-Vandalur.
The second route is better,There is a flyover construction at Oragadam where you have to turn left to Tambaram.
About 2-3 kms is bad otherwise this is a better route than through Manimangalam.
Do not enter into Tambaram as the roads are narrow and lot of road works going on.
Better to reach Vandalur and go towards Tambaram. The distance is more but the roads are better.
My final destination is on Velacheri main road, so i wont be entering inside tambaram

Last edited by rajshenoy : 22nd December 2011 at 10:51.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:59   #625
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,967
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
My final destination is on Velacheri main road, so i wont be entering inside tambaram
Cool. Then surely you should take the bypass. At the end of Chennai Bypass, take the exit to your left that takes you towards the city (not the one marked Madurai etc.). You will hit the GST Road towards Tambaram. Look out for the elevated roundabout, and climb up. At the top, take a right turn for Tambaram-Velacheri Road. It is rather painless (I take it to go to my home on the ECR).
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:06   #626
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 187
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I did 2 Chennai - Bangalore - Chennai trips over the past week. 3 of the 4 one way trip were in night (between 8pm to 4am) and I had the opportunity to exercise 3 different routes.

The first time around I took the regular "Chennai - Wallajabad - Vellore - Ambur - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore" GQ road. Ideally its the best road to drive at night. But the road is not all smooth. You cant keep doing 100+ always without a bumpy ride. The Sriperumbudur - Kanci stretch is very average with a lot of patches and undulations. The Kanchi - Vellore stretch is average again. The Ambur - Krishnagiri again has problems in terms of 6 lane extension The existing shoulders have been excavated and you cannot safely overtake like what we did earlier. The krishnagiri - hosur stretch is again riddled with small potholes.

For the second trip (Onward) I used the "Chennai - Vellore - Gudiyatham - Ventakgirikota - Mulbagal - Kolar - Bangalore" based on some feedback in this forum that the roads are good and no traffic. Well its true that its no traffic but that's because the roads are disastrous. The stretch between venkatagirikota and mulbagal just has no roads. My 30 days old car probably is still angry with me for going through that road. There are stretches of road where only one car can go and if there is a vehicle coming the opposite side you need to get on to the shoulder which is dangerous as the shoulder is nonexistent. You have sharp road edges leading to mud pavement that is at-least 30cms bellow the road layer. You definitely will scratch your alloys, damage your tires and depending on the car might scrape the bottom. Unless desperate and you have a SUV do not bother about this route. My car which gives 22+ kmpl on the highway dropped down to 16 !!!

The final option (which i used for the return trip) is "Bangalore - Kolar - Mulbagal - Palmenar - Chittor - Walajabad - Chennai". The Bangalore - Mulbagal section is a newly laid 4 lane (no tolls yet) and you can coast safely at 120+ as the traffic is less. But do watch out for people coming on the opposite direction from the nearby villages. The Mulbagal - Chittor - Wallajabad is decent 2 lanes with no divider. Unless you are comfortable this route might become difficult in the night as you have vehicles coming up your face with 4 - 6 lights in high beam, all lit up to kingdom come. You will easily be blinded. But the roads as such is OK except for some short bad stretches and unexpected speed breakers.

Overall the roads are not what they used to be. They are badly maintained. I dont understand what we are paying the tolls for !
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:53   #627
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 887
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I had driven the road from Gudiyatham - Venkatagirikote - Mulbagal in September.
The road update with pictures are there in this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...hittoor-9.html
I think you might have missed tha road after V.Kote and reached Kolar directly without
touching Mulbagal.
In fact I started around 3.45pm from Gudiyatham And touched Devanahalli via V.Kote- Mulbagal-Kolar-Vijayapura-Devanahalli by 7.15pm.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:06   #628
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,851
Thanked: 633 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Cool. Then surely you should take the bypass. At the end of Chennai Bypass, take the exit to your left that takes you towards the city (not the one marked Madurai etc.). You will hit the GST Road towards Tambaram. Look out for the elevated roundabout, and climb up. At the top, take a right turn for Tambaram-Velacheri Road. It is rather painless (I take it to go to my home on the ECR).
Thanks for the tips. I am all set now.
The plan is to start on 24th(sat) morning and reach tambaram by noon. all local sightseeing on sat and sunday. and return back to bangalore on monday

I am just wondering if is it a good idea to cover puducherry(pondi) on my way back from chennai ? i came know that ECR is pretty near from tambaram. however i saw that its about 150kms to puducherry. so might require 2 hrs atleast

Only plus point is i can directly return to bangalore(another 300+ kms) So i am pretty tempted. Is this doable ?

Since i am driving by car, i wont be having any dependency on transportation.

so my questions
1. how much time does it take from tambaram east to reach pondicherry(via ECR i guess) ?
2. If i reach pondicherry by 8ish will i be able to cover major attractions by the evening and leave for bangalore by 5 or so ?
3. Suggestions on what to see(my kid would love to see beaches), and a nice place to have breakfast,lunch.
4. What should be my return route ? (thiruvanamalai-krishnagiri-hosur-blr) looks short, are the road conditions favorable for an evening-night drive ?
5. I prefer to avoid peak bangalore traffic. my earlier plan was to start on monday and reach bangalore in the afternoon to avoid busy traffic. if i go to pondi, and start in the evening what would be ideal time to reach electronic city ? night 8-9 ok ?
6. Will tambaram-pondicherry-bangalore be hectic ? i know its last minute but i have driven 400-500 kms in the past as well. unless the road/traffic conditions are bad i want to cover pondi as well.

So guys please suggest

Edit:

Did some search in and found that best route from pondi-blr is Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Vellore->Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi->Tindivanam->Pondy Now the problem is this is around 380+ kms plus adding 150kms(close to 550kms) from chennai-pondi via ECR, does it make sense to travel from chennai to pondi and then blr all in same day ?

Last edited by rajshenoy : 22nd December 2011 at 20:30.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:52   #629
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,967
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
1. how much time does it take from tambaram east to reach pondicherry(via ECR i guess) ?
2. If i reach pondicherry by 8ish will i be able to cover major attractions by the evening and leave for bangalore by 5 or so ?
3. Suggestions on what to see(my kid would love to see beaches), and a nice place to have breakfast,lunch.
4. What should be my return route ? (thiruvanamalai-krishnagiri-hosur-blr) looks short, are the road conditions favorable for an evening-night drive ?
5. I prefer to avoid peak bangalore traffic. my earlier plan was to start on monday and reach bangalore in the afternoon to avoid busy traffic. if i go to pondi, and start in the evening what would be ideal time to reach electronic city ? night 8-9 ok ?
6. Will tambaram-pondicherry-bangalore be hectic ? i know its last minute but i have driven 400-500 kms in the past as well. unless the road/traffic conditions are bad i want to cover pondi as well.
1. From Tambaram it might make more sense to go to Pondicherry via Tindivanam (NH45/GST Road till Tindivanam, NH66 from there to Pondicherry). This route is only about 25km more, but is 4-lane dual carriageway for a major part (entire?) of the route. Plus, on Sunday evenings, you will find ECR infested with drivers who have spent the entire weekend in Pondicherry drinking.

2. If you plan to reach Pondicherry at 8PM, you will miss Auroville which closes for visitors at 5PM.

3. Boy oh boy, the ECR is a "scenic beach road". :-) Stop at Mahabalipuram too, if you can. This assumes you take the ECR to Pondicherry.

5. This Monday's the day after Christmas. I guess Bangalore'd be a bit quieter than a usual Monday. If I were you, I'd plan to be at Krishnagiri between 7 and 8 PM and Bangalore a couple of hours later.

4 & 6. I'm not sure what the recommended route between Bangalore and Pondicherry is - is it NH66 till Krishnagiri and NH7 from there?
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:05   #630
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,851
Thanked: 633 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
1. From Tambaram it might make more sense to go to Pondicherry via Tindivanam (NH45/GST Road till Tindivanam, NH66 from there to Pondicherry). This route is only about 25km more, but is 4-lane dual carriageway for a major part (entire?) of the route. Plus, on Sunday evenings, you will find ECR infested with drivers who have spent the entire weekend in Pondicherry drinking.

2. If you plan to reach Pondicherry at 8PM, you will miss Auroville which closes for visitors at 5PM.
Sorry for the confusion, but i meant leaving chennai early in the morning and reaching pondi by 8AM. so that i can leave pondi at 4-5 PM and reach bangalore by night.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries bharanidharang Route / Travel Queries 230 18th December 2017 16:33
Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries polopm Route / Travel Queries 433 11th November 2017 21:47
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 89 7th November 2017 14:40
Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries Blue Thunder Route / Travel Queries 234 19th October 2017 18:25
Chennai - Hampi : Route Queries saurabh711 Route / Travel Queries 35 19th December 2015 13:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks