Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th January 2014, 10:33   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
I remember reading in the newpaper sometime early 2013 that there are metrowater pipes under the junction that need to be shifted to continue the flyover work.
Yes, that's right. I found this Hindu report from last June:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4607165.ece
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 12:10   #1457
BHPian

And don't be averse to taking Poonamalee High Road which is generally traffic free on a Sunday. Since you plan to go to Kotturpuram, you may necessarily have to take Mount Road which is saddled with one way traffic woes due to Metro Work.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 12:37   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thank you. That seems a more sensible routing. Will try it this time.

Reconfirming now:

Take the flyover which goes over the right turn to Porur. Continue straight till I hit another flyover, which is basically the Koyambedu flyover.
Go over that and when I touch down I shall be in the region of Anna Nagar Arch.

Are there any landmarks I need to look out for, between the Porur flyover and the Koyambedu one?
The right turn to Porur you are referring to DOESNOT have a flyover when you travel towards Chennai, it does when you exit Chennai. You basically have to stay on the left lanes to continue straight. Again, please look into my earlier post I quoted in my previous reply which details this.
luvurride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:22   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I stay in Whitefield as well and my preference has always been the Chittoor route. Here is why - During any part of the day, I don't get struck in traffic while exiting Whitefield and reaching Hoskote via Kadugodi. Whereas, the minimum time taken to reach Hosur via Varthur, Sarjapur, Bagalur is 45min-1hr. Besides, this route is also unpredictably prone to jams.

My average travel time from Whitefield-Chittoor has been 2:15 mins. Chittoor-Ranipet is another 45mins-1hr. The rest of the journey is anyway part of the Walajah-Sriperumbudur-Chennai NH46 which is a pain whichever route you take. This consumes about 1:30 hrs. It takes an hour more when I do this route at nights.

So day running time is usually 4:30 - 5 hrs and night is usually 5:30 - 6 hrs. As @binand rightly said, there is not much of a time difference between both routes.
Just back from the trip. Took the Kundanahalli(Home)-Varthur-Attibele-Hosur-Vellore-Tambaram-Chennai(Kilkattalai) route both ways. Bangalore - Chennai @ Friday 9AM in 5hrs 15mins (15min break)
Chennai - Bangalore @ Sunday 1PM 5hrs 45mins (15min break)
Key points:

Just to highlight the road and traffic condition. Mostly was in 120-140kmph range. Construction work going on around Hosur resulting in jams. Also, there is a Sunday village market near Varthur lake which resulted in a 15min jam.

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd February 2014 at 14:06. Reason: Please avoid mentioning of high speeds on forum
navkant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:33   #1460

The fastest way out of chennai, especially for south side residents (kotturpuram, adyar, OMR) is to take the thoraipakkam-pallavaram radial road to GST road. Thereafter Tambaram to Orgadam, and Orgadam to Sriperumbudur. 4 lanes throughout without traffic hassles. Just my 2 bit. Hope this helps.
Jerry macG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:07   #1461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry macG View Post
The fastest way out of chennai, especially for south side residents (kotturpuram, adyar, OMR) is to take the thoraipakkam-pallavaram radial road to GST road. Thereafter Tambaram to Orgadam, and Orgadam to Sriperumbudur. 4 lanes throughout without traffic hassles. Just my 2 bit. Hope this helps.
There has always been a debate between Oragadam and Manimangalam option. Can you guys please confirm. I see takers for both the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Manimangalam is a better option during non-peak hours and if you know the route enough to speed up (after crossing Manimangalam lake from Mudichur Road side and before the diversion for an under construction bridge near the JK tyre factory) and slow down everywhere else. During peak-hours the heavy vehicles waiting to take in the 90 degree turn inside Manimangalam town will slow you down.
And how about Oragadam option? Is it good at all times? If yes the extra 10 km on the 4-lane can be covered quite quickly. And that should serve as the default route. Unless one wants the fun of 2 lanes with tree lined roads.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd February 2014 at 14:30.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:22   #1462
BHPian

Manimangalam is a better option during non-peak hours and if you know the route enough to speed up (after crossing Manimangalam lake from Mudichur Road side and before the diversion for an under construction bridge near the JK tyre factory) and slow down everywhere else. During peak-hours the heavy vehicles waiting to take in the 90 degree turn inside Manimangalam town will slow you down.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:57   #1463
Senior - BHPian

I do not understand why on earth we need to pay Toll for the stretch of road at Kanchipuram/ Sri-Perumbudur unto Madras. The surface is ridiculously bad.

I appreciate the road widening and "laning" work the authorities are engaged in along the entire stretch. I know it can be irritating at times, but all to the future good!

I am unable to understand why the Karnataka Govt. boys are unable to speed up and emulate their buddies this side of the TN Border.

First, they should just give all road contracts to L&T ECC instead of self-serving scummy swine like that Navayuga Constructions and other similar corrupt, filthy dunderheads.

Second, all these scummy Karnataka MLA's and MP's and Politicos should be herded into a lorry and made to go up and down the poorly constructed roads of Karnataka - at least twice a week each. This kind of "learning and development" exercise should take the place of the current "Foreign Educational Tours" that seem to be in vogue.

Third, all Road construction should carry solid harsh penalties for not meeting deadlines.

Only then, with the fear of God in them, will these horrible people improve matters for the common-man and tax-payer.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:46   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

And how about Oragadam option? Is it good at all times? If yes the extra 10 km on the 4-lane can be covered quite quickly. And that should serve as the default route. Unless one wants the fun of 2 lanes with tree lined roads.
I have not gone in Oragadam option recently but is the flyover work complete? Also, having to go till Renaut Nissan on SPKoil - SriPerambadur road to do an U turn was a downer for me, not that it causes any significant addition in time. I have always used this stretch during non-evening hours and so feel Manimangalam is shorter and faster option, unless you have done this stretch atleast once during the day time as you can missout

1. The right turn from S'Pdur-Kunrathur road to Manimangalam is unmarked
2. The dip in road and sudden increase in surface immediately
3. The unmarked or poorly marked diversion in road due to bridge work after a KM.
4. The narrowness in Road near Manimangalam lake and this is after a 3-5 kms of nice tarmac.
5. The multiple right angle turns inside Manimangalam town, not the forget one which comes (unmarked no signboards) immediately after a fast stretch as one comes from Mudichur.

Since I have done Chennai-Bangalore umpteen number of times, I know where to speed up and where not to, which may not be the case with everybody.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 20:38   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
I have not gone in Oragadam option recently but is the flyover work complete? Also, having to go till Renaut Nissan on SPKoil - SriPerambadur road to do an U turn was a downer for me, not that it causes any significant addition in time. I have always used this stretch during non-evening hours and so feel Manimangalam is shorter and faster option, unless you have done this stretch atleast once during the day time as you can missout

Since I have done Chennai-Bangalore umpteen number of times, I know where to speed up and where not to, which may not be the case with everybody.
++1 to this.
I myself have missed out a right turn in this route (from Tambaram to Sri-P) and have had the misfortune to take the unplanned route till Oragadam and then take the right from there. ('misfortune' because I had clearly made up my mind not to take Oragadam route as it shows up as a clear 'longer' route in the map compared to Manimangalam). This was infact during my 2nd trip in the route and I still ended up missing the turn which was bad.
So one needs to have the clear idea if not familiar with the route, but the route as such is a time saver for sure. I, otherwise used to take the Chennai byepass route and join the Bangalore highway at Madhuravoyal which inspite being longer (but is fast) has also got the toll which at most times will eat up time due to the overcrowding of trucks at any time of the day.
ThePunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 10:21   #1466
BHPian

I have done the Oragadam route umpteen number of times, and I find it faster than both Manimangalam and the Pallavaram-Kundrathur routes.

I guess that is because of the median and the wide roads, that permit 120kmph without any worries of oncoming traffic.

Shyam
shyamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 11:02   #1467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
I have done the Oragadam route umpteen number of times, and I find it faster than both Manimangalam and the Pallavaram-Kundrathur routes.

I guess that is because of the median and the wide roads, that permit 120kmph without any worries of oncoming traffic.

Shyam
How is Oragadam-Sriperumbudur ? Many claim its not all that great?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 11:25   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is Oragadam-Sriperumbudur ? Many claim its not all that great?
Nope. Brilliant route. A few potholes when you enter the route from Vandalur bridge. And a 1km stretch that has no medians.

Apart from that, hassle free driving.

I usually go to Velachery. If I take the Kundrathur, Pallavaram route, it is approximately 39km. If I use Oragadam route, it is around 50.

I save around 30 minutes even though I drive 10km extra.

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 11:37   #1469
BHPian

The last five trips to chennai from Bangalore, I have been always taking the following route.
Hoodi->Varthur-> Sarjapur-> Bagalur-> Hosur->GQ till Sriperumbadur-> Kundrathur-Pallavaram.
Earlier I used to go via Attibele from Sarjapur in the Bangalore side of the journey and also Ponnamallee-Mangadu-Kundrathur-Pallavaram. in the Chennai side of the journey.
Must say thanks to the Bagalur route pointed out by ampere, my travel time has reduced down by an hour and half atleast and also the toll cost.
I am happily avoiding the Attibele toll and the traffic jam immediately after that and also the traffic in Poonamallee and also the bad roads after Mangadu.
In fact my last solo trip to chennai took me 5.15 mins door to door with 3 breaks in between(fuel, breakfast and chai) lasting 45 mins.
THe Sriperumbudur Kundrathur road is relatively free with good roads. In my last return trip to Bangalore, noticed that they have introduced a lot speed breakers. after Kundrathur for the next 10 kms.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 15:07   #1470
BHPian

Quote:

2. The dip in road and sudden increase in surface immediately
3. The unmarked or poorly marked diversion in road due to bridge work after a KM.
4. The narrowness in Road near Manimangalam lake and this is after a 3-5 kms of nice tarmac.
5. The multiple right angle turns inside Manimangalam town, not the forget one which comes (unmarked no signboards) immediately after a fast stretch as one comes from Mudichur.

Hello All,
I also support this. During my travels from Chennai to Bangalore and Mysore, I always used to take the Manimangalam route. Oragadam junction can be a bottle neck at times during the evenings. The staff buses from all the industries there and the trucks carrying rocks and sand from the quarries in walajabad normally causes block there (Especially at the U-Turns). This was a few months back, but now the conditions might have changed if the flyover is open. So my suggestion is to take the Manimangalam route if flyover constructions are not over and you are travelling in the office peak times. Just be careful about the points DWind suggested. There is a good chance that you miss the turn to that road itself.
harikr is offline   Reply With Quote