Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th February 2016, 17:54   #196
P21
BHPian

Default re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Hi All,

I am planning a Pune-Mysuru-Ooty road trip.

What are the good homestay options in Ooty? I am looking for a quiet place, so not very near to town center is ok (preferred). Should have good view, clean rooms and toilets and food.

Will by driving Ciaz, and with me would be parents, wife and 10 year old kid. Budget ? not sure what's the range and going rate there in May last week.
Hello Advaitlele,

I am from Mysore and had been to Ooty a weak back with my wife. We had stayed in JSS pharmacy college guest house.

We had taken Mysore Bandipur Gudalur Ooty route, both for our onward and return journey.

Route Update:
Mysore Nanjangud Road under construction 45 Mins
Nanjangud Gundlupet - New road 40 Mins
Gundlupet Bandipur Good Road 35 Mins
Bandipur Thepakkadu Good Road 25 Mins
Thepakkadu Gudalur Bad patch for around 7kms 45 Mins
Gudalur Ooty Good Road 1 Hr 35 Mins

Restaurants:
Hotel Sasthapuri Gudalur Stopped for lunch One of the best hotel en-route to Ooty
Hotel Hyderabadi Biryani House Ooty Avoid

Are you planning to visit any places in Mysore?

Regards,
P21
P21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 18:56   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Route Update:
Mysore Nanjangud Road under construction 45 Mins
Nanjangud Gundlupet - New road 40 Mins
Gundlupet Bandipur Good Road 35 Mins
Bandipur Thepakkadu Good Road 25 Mins
Thepakkadu Gudalur Bad patch for around 7kms 45 Mins
Gudalur Ooty Good Road 1 Hr 35 Mins

Restaurants:
Hotel Sasthapuri Gudalur Stopped for lunch One of the best hotel en-route to Ooty
Hotel Hyderabadi Biryani House Ooty Avoid

Regards,
P21
Thank you P21, I will be going back to Ooty in about 4 weeks.
CAn you enlighten more on "Mysore Nanjangud Road under construction 45 Mins"
Bakash4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 20:07   #198
P21
BHPian

Hello Bakash4u,

Distance between Mysore and Nanjangud is about 18 kms. This road is being converted to a four lane. You will find deviations at frequent intervals. Also traffic between Mysore and Nanjangud is bad. It takes 45 minutes to reach Nanjangud from Mysore.

Regards
P21

Last edited by P21 : 18th February 2016 at 20:10.
P21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:10   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Hello Advaitlele,

Regards,
P21

I have been to Mysore earlier - would like to visit the palace and zoo again for my son. This is just a relaxing and drive at leisure holiday not a typical touristy holiday
Would welcome suggestions for some authentic local food in Mysore or Ooty.
I would prefer homestay to hotel any time, for the peace of mind and away from crowd location that they offer.
advaitlele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:20   #200
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Would welcome suggestions for some authentic local food in Mysore or Ooty.
While I'm not sure about the "authentic local food" part, from what I know, following are some good places/restaurants to eat when in Mysore:
1. Hotel Dasaprakash - they have a heritage hotel in the city and a newer one at Yadavagiri.
2. Hotel Siddartha near Bus stand
3. Ramanashree near Bus stand
4. Ramya hotel (used to be famous for Dosas, had been there several years ago, not sure if it's still around)
5. Mylari hotel (famous for Dosas again) - there are 2 of them almost next door to each other, one of them claims to be the original

Also, look this up, not too sure how true/authentic the list is though - here

Last edited by NPV : 23rd February 2016 at 10:21.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 14:53   #201
P21
BHPian

Quote:
I have been to Mysore earlier - would like to visit the palace and zoo again for my son.
Mysore is famous for Zoo, Chamundi Hills, Palaces and Brindavan Gardens. Besides these, there are many more places which are left unexplored by the tourists and are worth a visit.

Some of my favorites in Mysore alone

1. Venugopalaswamy temple - KRS Backwaters - Best of KRS - 5/5
2. Sand Museum - En route Chamundi Hill - Kids will like this - 3/5
3. CFTRI Lab - Near Railway station - Visit if availed permission from the authorities - One can see food processing at the research lab - 4/5
4. Edamuri - On the way to KRS - Nice to have bath in Kaveri waters - 4/5
5. Blue lagoon and Meenakshipura - KRS Backwaters - Good for landscape photography - 3.5/5

Quote:
Would welcome suggestions for some authentic local food in Mysore
My favorites to enjoy local food at Mysore

Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries-capture.png

Regards,
P21
P21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 11:32   #202
BHPian

posting this news from accidents in india thread. So that new drivers are aware of the roads.

Four persons today had a narrow escape when their car got stuck amid trees at a depth of about 60 feet after it plunged into an over 500-foot deep gorge from a ghat road at Kallati, about 35 km from here.

The driver of the car, in which a 13-year-old girl and her parents were going to Mudumalai from Coimbatore, lost control over the vehicle while negotiating a hairpin bend near Bison Valley and it rolled down in the gorge, police said.

The Kallati-Mudumalai Road has 36 hairpin bends and the incident occurred at the 26th bend. However, the four had a narrow escape as it got stuck amid trees at a depth of about 60 feet.

Some passersby witnessed the incident and informed police. Fire and Rescue Service personnel with the help of police and locals rescued them.

The driver suffered fracture in one of his arms and the girl sustained serious injuries and both of them were hospitalised, police said.

The spot is highly accident-prone in view of the steep climb at the hairpin bends. Two years ago, 18 passengers of a bus were killed when it fell into the gorge in the area.

Locals say the road is preferred by tourists in view of short distance to Mudumalai, but many of the drivers were unaware of ghat section driving and apply brakes while negotiating the hairpin bends, resulting in mishaps.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ets-stuck.html
redcruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 14:37   #203
BHPian

Just got back from a trip to Ooty. Some route update as below:

Onward journey - Bangalore - Kanakpura-Gundlupet-Masinagudi-Ooty
Bangalore - Kanakpura: narrow 2 lane road but in very good condition; however expect medium to heavy traffic especially HCV traffic

Kanakpura-Gundlupet:
Post Kanakpura, traffic eases out but road continues to be 2 lane good roads. Between Kolegal and Charajnagar, the route passes right thru villages and there is heavy traffic of pedestrians as well as 2-wheelers. Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet stretch is not very smooth with pot holes and cracks but nothing that really needs to be worried about.

Gundlupet-Masinagudi-Ooty: Post Gundlupet, you are once again on NH and the road is fabulous, scenic beauty is out of the world and if you are lucky, you can spot some wild life also.

Return journey - Ooty - Metupalayam-Anur-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore
Nothing much to comment. Ooyt-Avinashi route is an excellent road with super smooth tarmac. Post Avinashi, you are on the regular Salem-Bangalore highway.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote