Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th September 2016, 09:31   #496
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Planning for GOA, where to stay??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
I was looking for some nice resort in South Goa. Has anyone stayed at Dunghill Beach Resort, Agonda? Reviews woud be great.
I stayed in Nanu Resort in Nov 2015, and liked it. It has spacious rooms, good food and a very clean swimming pool. Location is about 10 kms from Margao and very near Betalbatim beach (a 2 mins walk). Rates hover near 5k per night (incl breakfast).

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 09:54   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I stayed in Nanu Resort in Nov 2015, and liked it. It has spacious rooms, good food and a very clean swimming pool. Location is about 10 kms from Margao and very near Betalbatim beach (a 2 mins walk). Rates hover near 5k per night (incl breakfast).

Cheers,
Vikram
Thank you Vikram. I will take a look at the website. I forgot to mention in my original post that my preference would be for a resort/hotel near or on the beach.
Ketan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:10   #498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was looking for some nice resort in South Goa. Has anyone stayed at Dunghill Beach Resort, Agonda? Reviews woud be great.
You mean Dunhill Resort right? Quite an unfortunate choice of name otherwise

Agonda is a lovely beach. One of my cousins got married there in 2010 (look up my threads- there is a travelogue) and a lot of the guests stayed at one or two of the Resorts along the beachfront. The rooms are small and functional and you will probably lack the amenities you will get in a more touristy destination like North Goa. Food options are also likely to be limited. But you are more likely to get pristine beaches and absolute quiet.

Dunhill is rated #2 of the Agonda hotels by TripAdvisor which is usually a good general guide to go by.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:25   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You mean Dunhill Resort right? Quite an unfortunate choice of name otherwise

Agonda is a lovely beach. One of my cousins got married there in 2010 (look up my threads- there is a travelogue) and a lot of the guests stayed at one or two of the Resorts along the beachfront. The rooms are small and functional and you will probably lack the amenities you will get in a more touristy destination like North Goa. Food options are also likely to be limited. But you are more likely to get pristine beaches and absolute quiet.

Dunhill is rated #2 of the Agonda hotels by TripAdvisor which is usually a good general guide to go by.
Yes I meant Dunhill. That's just Autocorrect messing around with my spellings!

I did check the reviews on many sites but just wanted to see if anyone from team-bhp had stayed there.

I just want to go there and relax so I am not looking for a touristy place. Also I love South Goa.
Old 29th September 2016, 12:33   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Stayed in Baywatch Beach Resort near Colva in 2014, decent place to stay at affordable price, 2 mins walk to the beach which is almost empty. Spacious Rooms, Nice food, good staff and lots of amenities (Spa, children's play area with dedicated caretaker, quite huge swimming pool, live band etc)
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 15:01   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ketan, I live in Goa so I guess I will add my bit to the views already expressed here. As noopster said Agonda is a lovely beach very much in south.

The resorts like Nanu resorts ( I have recommended some friends there and also help organise a 250 person 2 day conference / get together at Nanu resorts when we took over the entire resort for ourselves) and Baywatch at Colva are all in central Goa if you could say. These are along the Colva beach stretch which is about 5 kms from Margao. These are normal touristy places which has close proximity to the railway station and the Dabolim airport ( which is about 15 kms from Nanu resorts).

Where as Agonda is a different ball game. it is deep down south, say another 20 kms down the beach, more near the Palolem / Patnem or simply say Canacona side ( Canacona is 37 Kms from Margao towards Karwar, so you get the idea). Whereas Colva, Betalbatim, Varca, Benaulim etc are well conncected and more frequented by tourists, Agonda is much more isolated and pristine. Not many people go there as it is quite away from the touristy stuffs.

I checked the Dunhill beach resort on their website and it is absolutely mindblowing. I should say the gallery shows the whole place to be a notch up than Nanu and other places in central Goa.

If you are looking at much budget places to stay, you should specifically look into Palolem / Patnem / Galgibag stretch and also other alternatives at Agonda as Agonda has quite a few beach resorts ( but very much less populated and in pristine conditions). At Palolem rooms on the beach will be around 1500/- bucks or so for basic stuff and then increases from there on. If you search you could even get room for Rs. 500/ bucks on the beach. Please be careful with your belongings here as some of my friends have lost their laptop, wallet etc which was kept inside the locked room. so carry your valuable with you if you are staying in these ultra budget rooms ( 500/- to 800/- per day on beach type rooms).

Personally Dunhill seems to be an awesome place and worth a try. The pictures are enticing. Do try to bargain with the tariff as they generally give a discount ( or add a buffet lunch or other services over your regular tariff). It seems an upmarket resort but having seen many resorts along Goa all these years, this appears to be a good bet to check out. Do let us know your thoughts. Welcome to Goa.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 15:40   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Hi Ketan, I live in Goa so I guess I will add my bit to the views already expressed here. As noopster said Agonda is a lovely beach very much in south.

The resorts like Nanu resorts ( I have recommended some friends there and also help organise a 250 person 2 day conference / get together at Nanu resorts when we took over the entire resort for ourselves) and Baywatch at Colva are all in central Goa if you could say. These are along the Colva beach stretch which is about 5 kms from Margao. These are normal touristy places which has close proximity to the railway station and the Dabolim airport ( which is about 15 kms from Nanu resorts).

Where as Agonda is a different ball game. it is deep down south, say another 20 kms down the beach, more near the Palolem / Patnem or simply say Canacona side ( Canacona is 37 Kms from Margao towards Karwar, so you get the idea). Whereas Colva, Betalbatim, Varca, Benaulim etc are well conncected and more frequented by tourists, Agonda is much more isolated and pristine. Not many people go there as it is quite away from the touristy stuffs.

I checked the Dunhill beach resort on their website and it is absolutely mindblowing. I should say the gallery shows the whole place to be a notch up than Nanu and other places in central Goa.

If you are looking at much budget places to stay, you should specifically look into Palolem / Patnem / Galgibag stretch and also other alternatives at Agonda as Agonda has quite a few beach resorts ( but very much less populated and in pristine conditions). At Palolem rooms on the beach will be around 1500/- bucks or so for basic stuff and then increases from there on. If you search you could even get room for Rs. 500/ bucks on the beach. Please be careful with your belongings here as some of my friends have lost their laptop, wallet etc which was kept inside the locked room. so carry your valuable with you if you are staying in these ultra budget rooms ( 500/- to 800/- per day on beach type rooms).

Personally Dunhill seems to be an awesome place and worth a try. The pictures are enticing. Do try to bargain with the tariff as they generally give a discount ( or add a buffet lunch or other services over your regular tariff). It seems an upmarket resort but having seen many resorts along Goa all these years, this appears to be a good bet to check out. Do let us know your thoughts. Welcome to Goa.
Thank you ashkamath for your inputs. This should definitely help me in planning.

I have explored Goa quite a bit from North to South and love South Goa specially from Benaulim to Palolem.

We had stayed at a Palolem hotel which had rooms on the beach during our last trip (6 months back).

I have called up Dunhill and they will get back to me with availability and rates. I will keep in mind your suggestion about bargaining.
Old 29th September 2016, 15:59   #503
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to visit Goa somewhere in November. Before this I've been to Anjuna twice, but I find it kind of unsafe when traveling with wife after evening, literally secluded after dark!

This time, I was thinking of visiting South Goa, haven't decided any place/beach yet. Can you please recommend me some decent places/hotels to stay there? Preferably should be close to the sea.

Thanks!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 16:19   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Stayed in Baywatch Beach Resort near Colva in 2014, decent place to stay at affordable price, 2 mins walk to the beach which is almost empty. Spacious Rooms, Nice food, good staff and lots of amenities (Spa, children's play area with dedicated caretaker, quite huge swimming pool, live band etc)
I will check the Baywatch Beach Resort too.
Old 3rd October 2016, 00:34   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Am planning to go for Sunburn X edition. I guess it'll happen at Vagator, though the venue is not announced yet. Have been trying to call up places I know and all seems already booked for the last week of Dec.

Some of them are quoting atrocious quotes too, due to the prime time. I'll mostly be alone or two of us at the max. Does anyone have any suggestions of possible accommodation? Don't want a hi-fi place, since I don't plan to spend a lot of time in the room (have a VIP pass for 4 days event with access to after parties).

Any places close to Vagator would be ideal. Let me know if you guys know anything please.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 00:49   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Guys, I am planning to visit Goa somewhere in November. Before this I've been to Anjuna twice, but I find it kind of unsafe when traveling with wife after evening, literally secluded after dark!

This time, I was thinking of visiting South Goa, haven't decided any place/beach yet. Can you please recommend me some decent places/hotels to stay there? Preferably should be close to the sea.

Thanks!
South Goa is perfect for relaxed vacations with family. Palolem beach area is really good and safe as well. I stayed in the Lalit Golf and Spa resort that's just about 4kms from Palolem. The resort also has its own private beach. It's a luxury resort so pr Cars will be on the higher side. In September 2016 it was about 5500 per night and upwards.
vikramk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 00:51   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Am planning to go for Sunburn X edition. Does anyone have any suggestions of possible accommodation? Don't want a hi-fi place, Any places close to Vagator would be ideal. Let me know if you guys know anything please.
Hi swiftnfurious, I live in Goa and have a friend or two, up there near Vagator. I will speak with my friends and see if they can arrange a spare room or something for you.

December year end is sheer madness here in Goa and every inch is taken and room rent are simply sky high. well I do not promise you anything at this juncture, but assure you that I shall make a sincere effort to accommodate you with my friends. Let me speak with them and revert to you.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 23:30   #508
Senior - BHPian

Guys
We have planned a 'spur of the moment' drive to Goa tomorrow night from Hyd and plan to reach there Saturday afternoon or evening (Oct 8th). I can see most resorts full owing to the long weekend.

Does anyone have any inputs on a budget accommodation for 4 adults in North, Middle or South Goa? Any inputs will be of great help.

TIA.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 00:05   #509
BHPian

Planning for road trip from Chennai to ramwswaram, kaniya and possibly madurai in dec. Any suggestions on itinerary, must see places and kid friendly stay options would be appreciated.
prasanna.vps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 08:59   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys
We have planned a 'spur of the moment' drive to Goa tomorrow night from Hyd and plan to reach there Saturday afternoon or evening (Oct 8th). I can see most resorts full owing to the long weekend.

Does anyone have any inputs on a budget accommodation for 4 adults in North, Middle or South Goa? Any inputs will be of great help.

TIA.

In North Goa near candolim calangute beach there are two family run budget guesthouses.

Gabriel guest house 0832-2279486.
Good ratings on Lonely Planet and some others.
I have stayed here. Rooms are very basic with service for tea/coffee and daily housekeeping. Located 2 minutes from the beach.

Pintos guest house 0832-2489546.
I have not stayed here but was highly recommended as a family run budget place. Pintos is in the next lane to Gabriels.

Hope this helps. Have a great holiday.
Happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote