Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2007, 00:17   #211
Senior - BHPian

Here you go guys.. Finally..

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 13:31   #212
Senior - BHPian

At last..!!! Please get one for me provided it does all that you mentioned and much more...;-) I hope it has a user's manual as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Here you go guys.. Finally..

Godfather

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th May 2007 at 13:32.
Old 26th May 2007, 23:48   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Day 2: Sarchu is 222kms from Manali at 14000 feet. It is not advisable to make a night halt here for first timers to himalayas as AMS can hit very bad. Even Himachal toursim buses now make Keylong as the night stop and not Sarchu. They used to loose passengers to AMS every year! Keylong is at 11000 feet and AMS doesnt hit here.
Day 3 : Keylong to Leh can be done in one day. distance is 360kms / 11 hrs.
Not at all recommended if you have lots of vehicles and people, any food stop would convert into an hour or longer stop due to fact there will be a lot of you people for whom the food has to be cooked for, secondly at that altitude the food also takes time longer time to cook. Thirdly this would leave a person exhausted and with little or no time for photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Hmmm,it takes around 5 hours one way. Leave Leh at 5am, reach there by 10am. spend 5-6 hrs, camp, make your own food, leave by 3pm max and back in leh by 8pm. You have to cross Chang La to reach the lake and hence you have to cross it again on the way back. remember to cross it before 6pm, after that army doesnt allow it.
Chang La also has an opening time, which if I remember correctly is 6:30AM and the pass closes at 5:30pm, not 100% sure about the opening time though.

As for August the rains usually happen in the first week with the roads closing by second week, but cant say for sure whether this would happen this year or not, but its some thing that you guys should keep in mind.

Rest if you guys need help planning the trip or need any help let me know.
Old 27th May 2007, 01:42   #214
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Just realized that my TomTom has no maps for India!!!!!!! Can anyone help out if they know of any maps that can be sed on TomTom ONE XL?
Old 29th May 2007, 11:11   #215
Team-BHP Support

I doubt anybody will have maps for Leh region. I suggest we get the GPS trails and convert to your format.
you don't need maps till Manali.
Old 29th May 2007, 13:00   #216
BHPian

hey guys i have one but i am not able to send it. Its an image.

Can any one suggest me how to do it.
~Bruty
Old 31st May 2007, 14:26   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I doubt anybody will have maps for Leh region. I suggest we get the GPS trails and convert to your format.
you don't need maps till Manali.
You won't need maps even for Ladakh, unless you are not planning to use the roads. All the roads are properly marked and have milestones every few kms.
Old 31st May 2007, 15:04   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
hey guys i have one but i am not able to send it. Its an image.

Can any one suggest me how to do it.
~Bruty
Bruty - please read the FAQ list of tbhp.
Old 31st May 2007, 15:55   #219
BHPian

Hi here is the link for the map i have.

There is one more site that provide you the detailed road map: MapmyIndia - India's First Interactive Mapping Portal . this site is very help ful, it will also give you the road directions.

Hope it will help you guys
Its my dream to be in LEH but my wife does not want to travel there by road, but I prefer traveling through road in self driven car. Hope some day i will join you guys in a trip to Leh

My best wishes to you all for heppy journey with the SAFARI's.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:17   #220
Team-BHP Support

Bruty, that map is linked on the first page. Its a scalable vector graphic, so it can be as large as you want. Its available on wikipedia.
As for mapmyindia, they choose the shortest route, which is not motorable, its a trekking route.
Old 11th June 2007, 01:11   #221

how do we get the details for this trip as we would like to be a part of it?
Old 11th June 2007, 06:57   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
how do we get the details for this trip as we would like to be a part of it?
Stay tuned to this thread. It would also help if you posted a (separate) intro thread so we get to know the people that are interested.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:46   #223
BHPian

Steer, i donno whether this will support TOMTOM, but this site provides GPS maps...check it out....hope it helps you
Product Details::Welcome to SatGuide
Old 23rd June 2007, 00:12   #224

Thumbs up A 2 wheeler's tuppence

Pardon if there is repetition

Quote:
Ok Me and steer got together on Skype worked out a schedule. Its almost same as what was being discussed before with slight changes

Day 1: 10 Aug Friday, Start from Delhi early evening reach Chandigarh or Ropar by 10pm
If I can arrange for acco in Ropar very good. Ropar is 1.5 hours from chd, and 20 minutes from Kiratpur Sahib, where we start the climb to Manali
Ropar would be undivided pain punjab highways.
As would the train crossing at Ambala, and the gross mess they call Zirakpur crossing. I think reaching Ropar by 10 is being hopeful
oh, and add in the utter BS chaos of panipat too You would reach quite exerted!

Quote:
Day 2: 11 Aug Sat : Start from chd/Ropar by 5am/6am, reach keylong/Jispa. Drive time 10 hours from chd, 9 hours from Ropar.
Manali is 4-5 hours from chd/Ropar depending upon traffic conditions. This will save one day and less driving time will mean a less tiring. With NHAI constructions in progress, doing Delhi-Manali will be draining.
We will go till either keylong or Jispa depending on where we get comfortable VFM accommodation.
Now this is wrong, very wrong. Manali is 6-7 hours from Ropar assuming life is peaceful. But Murphy can always be around And Rohtang by evening is unpredictable. Plus you'd be cars pushing against the tourist taxis who'd all be returning from Rohtang. You can surely go no further than Keylong assuming a 7-8am start and breaks (assuming family, so longer breaks).
Keylong - Jispa road should be made by your time and doable in 40 mins. It just has hotel ibex that is a tad expensive, just one more bldg that looked like a hotel. Darcha, further ~8km ahead, is just a huge bunch of tents. Unless you're enthu to sleep in a tent, not recommended.

Quote:
Day 3: 12 Aug Sun: Keylong - Leh. 11 hours of tough driving
This is the hard part. Expect AMS to hit at Sarchu, hopefully we will spend lesser time at very high altitudes.
Start at 4am from Keylong instead, have some chai at ZingZingbar (Darcha would just be 45-50 mins drive) and then only at Sarchu. That should ensure spirited driving would see you cross Tanglang La before 3pm. Starting at 4am sounds harsh, but leaves hajaar time for murphy!

Quote:
Day 4: 13 Aug Mon : See Leh and surroundings
Get Permit work done too, and most importantly get some sleep early

Day 5: 14 Aug Tue: Go to the Pangong lake and come back before nightfall.
Have to start early. Previous day's rest should do good. Be back by nighfall

Day 6: 15 Aug Wed Khardungla etc.,
This will also be a little easy day with surrounding sight seeting, back before nightfall

Day 7 : 16 Aug thursday Leh - Keylong
Hard riding again, and then a good nights sleep

Day 8 : 17 Aug Friday : Keylong - Delhi etc.,
Total time in 15 hours, with latter part on smooth GT road all the way from Ambala to delhi(3.5 hours). Intersted people can stay back at chd to rest and start for delhi next day early morning. Can catch chd evening life on the day too!
Unless you are completely hell bent on coming to Delhi by friday (this is all too fast), why not return via Drass, Srinagar, Sonamarg? A good drive from morning 5am should see you in Sonamarg by evening. From there, Delhi is a peaceful two days.

Another thing i have a doubt of: I don't see any bikers with AMS symptoms on the route, atleast didnt. Saw many taxi passengers under the weather, in Pang. Why is that so? Because of the rolling/pitching movement in the car as one corners, or because the AC cocoons one, till one steps out, and then the altitude hits? Just my theories, what do veterans say? Sideways?

Engine oil: My bike's clutchcase froze at Pang. You guys could have the same should a vehicle get stuck somehwere hi alti and a snowstorm be raging. Are you using stuff like Shell ultra helix 5w50(?) or mobil1 supersyn? What oils would you guys be planning to use?

More info is at: Leh - BikeNomads
You could carry duct tape. We bikers use it to tie up anything loose - donno bout cars Also, don't trust surgical gloves (recommended by some for cold weather) - they freeze themselves, and cause cramps in fingers. My fingers almost froze in more plains. So don't bank on them, should you need to change a flat or anything like that.

btw, what to do if tyres get ripped, like that tavera pic posted by RudraSen? You guys carry extras over and above the spare tyre?
Medics:
Diamox, once per night at keylong/leh.
disprin, during the day in morning - just like sideways has said.
avomin, for the vomiting should it happen.
Late food, started on just fluids
Drink glucose+water till 8-9am. I had rasna.
Old 25th June 2007, 13:20   #225
BHPian

Guys i came today from my hometown Dharmsala, i spent a long week there and it rained for all the seven days. it was looking that the monsoon has arrived. So be prepared as the rains are geting heavy and it will not be getting better during your trip.
Closed Thread