Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2007, 11:29   #121
Team-BHP Support

Ok, now the warm clothes. Members from the south, do you know what kind of warm clothes you need? Unless you have lived in below -10C temperature on a regular basis, you wouldn't have a clue.

Thick sweaters won't cut, so don't bother with them. You need layers, lots of them. Don't make the mistake of buying warm clothes in Bangalore, they are worthless. Buy in Delhi, they'll have something that'll work. Delhi members can help you out.
Old 10th May 2007, 11:38   #122
BHPian

but buyin them in delhi will mean loosing out on precious time. In blore, try to get hold of Amul warm inners etc. These will help a lot. ofcourse carry warm monkey caps, mufflers, good gloves, warm socks, hot water bottle etc.
Old 10th May 2007, 11:50   #123
Team-BHP Support

Its summers, buy in Delhi or Bangalore, same difference.
The must have thing is thermals to wear under the clothes, these keep you real warm.
From Ludhiana I can get great stuff which is good VFM too.
But it will waste time. Bangalore shops esp Lifestyle and shopper stop kind of places stock some real warm stuff.

If anyone of you has never experienced sub sub zero, do let us know, we will prepare you.
Those of you have done so, you know what to do.
Old 10th May 2007, 11:53   #124
Team-BHP Support

We bought lots of warm clothes from Bangalore for the Sikkim Trek. They only looked good, but failed badly in the mountains . During day it was the constant trekking that kept us warm. At night we had Down sleeping bags from the tour company.

I knew what to buy and still got fooled in Bangalore. Unless one has prior experience with certain brand of warm clothes available in Bangalore, don't try it. Anyway, the warm clothes are usually little oversized. So one can ask Delhi members of this tour to purchase ahead to save shopping time.
Old 10th May 2007, 11:59   #125
Team-BHP Support

In that case when we have the final list of members, I will get warm clothes. Just need to know what size shirts your wear. Leg warmers etc., you can buy branded, for sweaters and such(real real warm type) I can check out from Ludhiana.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:00   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But it will waste time. Bangalore shops esp Lifestyle and shopper stop kind of places stock some real warm stuff.
They'll fail in subzero temperature. It's all show and no go.

OK, if you have to buy in South, keep off the thick stuff. Buy multiple thin layers. Say, thermals + sweatshirt + thin sweater + shell jacket. That way you can add or remove layers as temperature changes. Heavy jackets may look impressive, but you won't get the right one, probably not in India at all.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

Actually you can get pretty good layers here in Blore. You'll need
- light tees
- heavy tees
- inners (thermals) - just in case
- light sweaters (those cotton mixed variety do just fine)
- windcheaters
- fleece lined jackets - Wildcraft has v decent ones.
- raincoats if u're so inclined - but u're not on a bike
- woolen gloves - and propah ones on top - again more for bikes

We had upto 3/4 layers of the above on at any point in time - same time of the year - and even camped overnite at Chota Darra - did fine.

So Bloreans will do ok
Old 10th May 2007, 15:47   #128
Senior - BHPian

dont forget Regularly Used Medicine (RUM) to keep you warm all the day long....:-)
Old 10th May 2007, 16:21   #129
BANNED

Can't make this year, maybe next year.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:22   #130
BHPian

Get onto diamox (prevents fluid build up) and Aspirin (thins out the blood) atleast a week prior to leaving. We do this this on the raid every year. but remeber to always drink plenty of water all the time, before and during the trip. Diabetics and people with high blood pressure must cosult their doctors before leaving fro this trip.

Tanveer, them huge cylinders are a pain in the a$$ to carry. Plus you will need to buy masks for everybody. The small protable ones have built in mouth pieces and are very easy to carry. It's the size of a HIT / Baygon spray can and cost about 250 to 300 a can.

Also you have forgotten toilet paper. And I told you guys about Velcro. Dont forget Velcro. It's really handy to fasten things. Also carry some plastic cable ties - big and medium size ones. If you can get your hands on Anti Fog buy that too. When it's cold and you put on your heater the glasses tend to fog up from the inside. Theres a liquid made which you rub onto the glass and itprevents fog build up.

Also for warm clothing / jackets theres this very good company in delhi. Click on the link below. They have everything.

Stikage Outdoor Adventure Sports Equipment
Old 10th May 2007, 16:41   #131
Team-BHP Support

sideways, where do you get these cylinders, Do they help if somebody starts showing symptoms of AMS?
A guy in the cubicle next to mine went to Leh via hired sumo from Manali. They stopped over at Pang, and had mild headaches, but says that after Sarchu when you descend things improve
I am waiting for the GPS triplogs and waypoints so we know which places are high altitude, so that we don't wait too long there to admire the scenery.
Sarchu is at 4290 mts above sea level. If we pass that quickly to and descend to places below 3900mts, will AMS be kept in check.

Also are you aware how many raiders were taken in by Altitude sickness.

I have a query about the route too, it appears there is a shorter route through LUN etc., is that route motorable, or is it only for extreme class Raid?
Old 10th May 2007, 16:56   #132
BHPian

tsk.dont worry abt the O2 cylinders.portable pressurised cans are much better.leave that to me.
to prevent acute mountain sickness, a person's initial sleep altitude should be lower than 8000 ft.
at altitudes above 10000 ft, the sleeping elevation should increase no more than 1000 ft per day.
in almost every case here's the protocol:
if a person experiences any symptoms of AMS, the person should not ascend or increase the sleeping elevation until all symptoms have resolved. failure to follow this rule can allow simple altitude mountain sickness to progress to potentially fatal high-altitude pulmonary edema or high-altitude cerebral edema.

descent is the key.administration of med O2 has little role to play as the lungs have so much fluid retention in them that they dont expand enough anyway.
that's why i mentioned earlier.if we go by the book and plan well.none of us will have AMS.
the idea is to prevent it from happening rather than dealing with it after it happens.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:04   #133
Team-BHP Support

Ok doc, then I guess our plan of halting for the night at a lower altitude (Keylong/Jispa) is good. I will soon make the google calender public, once we have sorted out the details.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:08   #134
BHPian

Tanveer these were picked up by a friend in delhi from one of the pharmacies there. the smaller ones won't have them but the bigger ones defineately do. They are regular oxygen cylinders. Will last between 4 and 5 minutes. The big ones are a real pain. You have to make mounting brackets and what not.

See AMS is something I havent been able to figure out myself. We have fuel stops on Morey plains, which is also quite high. We hang around there cause the gas has to be pumped out into 5 litre cans nd then filled into your vehicle. The stop takes about 20 odd minutes. In that time I have stood there and smoked a cigarette too (away from the fueling trucks obviously). Absolutely no sign of AMS or anything else.

So I really dont know what AMS feels like. Never experienced it and have not seen any of the raiders get sick. Maybe it's beacuse of the medication we are on. I dont know.

But yes. What I have heard is that when hit by AMS, the best and safest thing to do is to go down to a lower altitude say about 10,000 odd feet or less and you will be fine. Heres a good link which explains it all:-

Acute Mountain Sickness

As far as the route is concerned, my navigator will be the best one to talk to. The reason I havent opened my mouth when you guys were planning the route is - frankly speaking I dont know. Names I have heard but have absolutely no idea the sequesnce in which the towns come. As a driver it's not my responsibility so I dont even get into it. I know you must think I am crazy - well, What the hell !!!!!

Sorry I havent been able to help too much. PM your questions across, better still call Khaadu, he should be able to help you. If you need to get in touch with HMA, I can give you Vijay's number. He should be able to fill you in.

Last edited by Sideways : 10th May 2007 at 17:11.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:13   #135
BHPian

tsk call me old fashioned but i dont need a gps triplog or coordinates to tell me the altitudes...lol!ah just kidding..

here goes bro:
manali: 6725ft
rohtang pass: 13057ft
tandi: 8442ft
keylong: 10987ft
stingri: 11000ft
daarcha: 11154ft
baralacha la: 16500ft
sarchu: 13953ft
lachalung la: 16616ft
paang: 15190ft
more: 15429ft (u can heavy foot the pedal here its 48km long:like a flat desert track)
tanglang la: 17582ft (2nd highest motorable pass yet on the planet)
rumtse: 14630ft
rumtse village: 14190ft
upshi: 13070ft
karu:13001ft
leh: 11558ft
chang la: 17350ft (3rd highest...............)
pangong tso: 14256ft
Closed Thread