Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th December 2011, 10:23   #136
BHPian

Default re: Mumbai - Hyderabad : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Budget for a 16hr drive.hyd solapur would take you 5hrs.solapur pune is another 5 to 6hrs.negotiating pune to expressway will take you an hour or 90mins.Dehu road to panvel is 2hours.from thereon depends on where you would want to go.I do sainikpuri to borivli regularly and panvel to borivli takes approx 3 to 4hours between 6pm and 9pm.

Roads are bad between solapur and pune as widening is in progress.If its a daytime drive you could opt fr indapur baramati jejuri saswad narayanpur kapurhole nh4 katraj pune mumbai bypass dehu road.it saves you the trouble of driving through the mess at hadapsar and also avoids the worst sections of the widening.absolutely no options for eating on the entire route.some small restaurants amd dhabas at solapur nothing worth mentioning though.all the coco pumps accept card.
Thanks a lot, thats a lot of info. I would need to research on those places you've mentioned. What is a "coco pump"? I've only heard of petrol pumps, LOL?!

One more query- I have a couple of days in mumbai, +3 more days in hand, one day in pune is must (relative), now 2 days left (total 5 days) and would like to spend them in lonavala or khandala, what do you suggest?? (only peace and relax is on the mind).

Thanks again.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:40   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
One more query- I have a couple of days in mumbai, +3 more days in hand, one day in pune is must (relative), now 2 days left (total 5 days) and would like to spend them in lonavala or khandala, what do you suggest?? (only peace and relax is on the mind).
Thanks again.
COCO: Company Owned/Company Operated. These pumps are not franchised, so that there is minimum scope for adulteration.

Apart from Lonavala, I can also suggest Amby Valley.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 11:32   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, thats a lot of info. I would need to research on those places you've mentioned. What is a "coco pump"? I've only heard of petrol pumps, LOL?!

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
COCO: Company Owned/Company Operated. These pumps are not franchised, so that there is minimum scope for adulteration.

Quote:

Amby Valley is not open for public afaik.Unless something has changed recently.Its a residents & owners only location.

Between Lonavla & khandala theres hardly anything to choose between the two.I am not sure the places are going to be anywhere near to being quiet in the weeks close to the new year's eve.But that is the closest option between mumbai & pune.The other option is panchgani or mahabaleshwar.Stay at panchgani as it would be cheaper than mahabaleshwar.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 11:39   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Amby Valley is not open for public afaik.Unless something has changed recently.Its a residents & owners only location.
What is you said is true. I was just suggesting it as a day's drive.
Another place is Kaas. Though it wont be flowering, but still its nice.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 12:20   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amby Valley is not open for public afaik.Unless something has changed recently.
Between Lonavla & khandala theres hardly anything to choose between the two.
The other option is panchgani or mahabaleshwar.Stay at panchgani as it would be cheaper than mahabaleshwar.
Quote:
What is you said is true. I was just suggesting it as a day's drive.
Another place is Kaas. Though it wont be flowering, but still its nice.
+1 to ranjit.

Actually, lonavala and khandala has nothing to offer except some waterfalls during monsoon.

Mahabaleshwar will be best bet at this time.
Strawberry season is in full swing,
its time for me to hit the mahaby for one day trip, subah gaya, shaam ko vapas, its just 120 km from my home.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th December 2011 at 12:22.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
COCO: Company Owned/Company Operated.
Quote:
The other option is panchgani or mahabaleshwar.Stay at panchgani as it would be cheaper than mahabaleshwar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Mahabaleshwar will be best bet at this time.
Strawberry season is in full swing,
Big thanks to everyone, so i'll do mumbai - pune (necessary) and include mahabaleshwar,

ashish bhai's comment seems very interesting.

Can any of you suggest a loop, so as to cover these places...

Thanks.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:37   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its like

hyd-nh9-pune-eway-mumbai-eway-pune-nh4+state road-mahabaleshwar-state road-satara-state road-solapur-nh9-hyd.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th December 2011 at 15:39.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:51   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Big thanks to everyone, so i'll do mumbai - pune (necessary) and include mahabaleshwar,

ashish bhai's comment seems very interesting.

Thanks.
Mumbai-Pune

Mumbai-Pune via the Expressway.

Pune-Mahabaleshwar

Pune - Shirwal - Khandala -Khambatki Ghat-Surur(till this point on NH4),take a left at Surur and then turn right to go under the flyover - Wai - Panchgani - Mahableshwar in all 120 KM and about 2.5 hrs to 3 hours.

Mahabaleshwar-Hyderabad:

From Mahabaleshwar there are multiple options to get to Solapur,the one that I can think of is Mahabaleshwar-Medha-Satara-Gondawale-Mhaswad-Pandharpur-Mohol-NH9-Solapur-Umerga-Zaheerabad-Hyderabad.Budget for a 12 hour drive.

Pune, Maharashtra to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh - Google Maps
Old 14th December 2011, 16:04   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pune-Mahabaleshwar

Pune - Shirwal - Khandala -Khambatki Ghat-Surur(till this point on NH4),take a left at Surur and then turn right to go under the flyover - Wai - Panchgani - Mahableshwar in all 120 KM and about 2.5 hrs to 3 hours.
@ranjit,
no need to take any left at surur,
the flyover is single carriage for oncoming traffic from banglore/satara,
just turn right under the flyover at surur and thats it,
you will be on wai road.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th December 2011 at 16:08.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:21   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@ranjit,
no need to take any left at surur,
the flyover is single carriage for oncoming traffic from banglore/satara,
just turn right under the flyover at surur and thats it,
you will be on wai road.
Is it?Thanks Ashish.I had a vague memory,that I took a left and then a right,maybe while going to some other place then.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:51   #146
BHPian

Hi,
Am going from Mumbai to Hyderabad next weekend.
Any sense trying out the Satara-Pandharpur-Solapur-Hyderabad route?
Any latest updates/good news on the widening of the Pune-Solapur route?
Thanks a lot
Karthik
karthik_rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao View Post
Hi,
Am going from Mumbai to Hyderabad next weekend.
Any sense trying out the Satara-Pandharpur-Solapur-Hyderabad route?
Any latest updates/good news on the widening of the Pune-Solapur route?
Thanks a lot
Karthik
I heard that the Satara-Pandharpur road is in good condition.
However, the Pune-Solapur road is still in a mess, and completely avoidable. One of our friends took 8 hours to drive form Solapur to Pune!
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:52   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
However, the Pune-Solapur road is still in a mess, and completely avoidable. One of our friends took 8 hours to drive form Solapur to Pune!
So it looks like Mumbai-Satara-Pandharpur-Hyderabad is clearly better. Can I hope to do it in 10 hours, with only a quick bio break or two?
karthik_rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 10:28   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This sounds like a good option. About 60Kms longer, but I've heard enough horror stories of the Pune-Solapur road.
Am doing mum-hyd tomorrow in my Civic, so am quite particular about bad roads, owing to its low clearance.

Anybody who has taken this Satara- Pandharpur road recently?
I took it way back in 2004, very less traffic, and one 10km stretch was kaccha. Im sure it must have changed a lot by now.
Thanks in advance.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 12:35   #150
BHPian

Just for the benefit of everyone, re-posting in this thread

Travelled from mumbai to pandharpur yesterday. Left at 5:50 reached Satara at 10:40 proceed to Pandharpur via fusegaon, gondawale, mhaswad. Reached pandharpur at at 13:20. It took around 2:40 hours/minutes to cover the satara - pandharpur stretch. The road passes through the village centers at koregoan and fusegoan. There was some mela? going on and it took quite a while to cross fusegoan.

Roads are strictly ok, not way too narrow, motorable, the tarmac isnt all that great, the surface is pretty much eroded in sections and it is a little broken between mhaswad - piliv. Overall, one can do 50 -90 kmph but the suspension does take a beating and by the end of the trip your vehicle, if it is not an SUV/MUV, is likely to develop a few rattles and squeaks.

Returned same evening, left pandharpur at 15:45, reached satara at 19:10 i.e. 3:25 hours/mins courtesy the mela? at fusegoan, took over 40 minutes to cover a 3 km stretch, with people of all sizes simply spilled over on to the streets, there is simply no place to drive. Progress was also hampered after nightfall and traffic chaos just when we entered satara. Left Satara at 19:30 , reached pune at 21:30, and home at 00:45.

absolutely no decent facitlities between satara and pandharpur, also tank up, not too many fuel stations, tyrewallas etc, it is quite a lonely road.

Considering the fact that this route (via satara) is much longer than the pune - solapur via NH9 or baramati/indapur route, am not sure if it will actually save time or be a little less stessfull or be beneficial if at all when driving from pune to hyd.

And yes, watch out for the convoys of bullock carts in addition to moving and stationary tractor trailers stacked with sugar canes in the middle of the road without any lights/reflectors. after sun down, it is a little unnerving to say the least.

Hope this helps!
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote