Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 31st December 2011, 12:33   #166
BHPian

Default re: Mumbai - Hyderabad : Route Queries

Hi,
Did it in 15 hours with a lot of stops. We had 2 kids, 30m and 5m old, and my wife and parents. Total time lost on stops - around three hours. This included breakfast and bio, two barf breaks, and a refuelling break at Solapur bypass. I was optimistic from past experience with my kids - they sleep through long drives. Not this time though.

Started Powai 0610 hrs. Finished Expressway by 0745, fantastic smooth run. Then major congestion at a toll booth on Pune Bypass near New Katraj tunnel. Then a quick 30 min break from 0900 at Amruta garden, Saroley, NH4. Heavy traffic on Khambatki ghat, dont know if I missed a turn somewhere, but I went through the whole Ghat without a tunnel. Did I miss a turn? Finally Satara at 1030 AM. Took a left under the flyover.

Satara to Mohol was a very good, tension free ride. Road not too wide, and not in fantastic condition, but the sparse traffic made life easy. The Pusegaon fair is still on, maybe it is a permanent religious thing around a temple. Got to Solapur bypass by around 230 PM. Went around Pandharpur town by taking a left before a railway underbridge with a moonscape of a road.

Crossing Solapur via the bypass was a nightmare. Just single road and lots of construction and heavy, slow trucks. 400 Pm by the time we crossed the solapur mess. Road quality improved, but still the same single lane and slow trucks. Finally 9 PM when I reached Kondapur. There is some amount of double road for around the last 60 KM.

Having seen the state of NH4 from Mohol to Zaheerabad, I am happy I did not do Pune-Solapur or Baramati-Indapur routes. I plan to come back the same way.

Thanks for all the tips and info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Under 12 hours is going to be tough, as a lot of external factors come in play and I was quite lucky in a few instances with an open railway crossing, not so crowded towns/villages etc, minimal stops as I was alone.

Bypassing Mohol and taking the other route would mean you would have to pass through Solapur city to get to NH9, like Ashish mentioned, and this could be painful and cause delays.
karthik_rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 14:33   #167
Senior - BHPian

Owing to horrible roads between Pune and Solapur, I guess it would be better to take the new Shatabdi from Pune to Hyderabad. For a price of Rs 780 for the AC Chair car, it sure beats the travails of road travel.

And the journey takes only 8.5 hours. The train leaves Hyd at 220 pm and reaches by 11 pm. I think it will commence from this month, 6 days a week except Tuesdays.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 19:16   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess it would be better to take the new Shatabdi from Pune to Hyderabad.
I think it will commence from this month, 6 days a week except Tuesdays.
Train is already functional since November 2011, if not earlier.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 20:34   #169
BHPian

I would recommend one of the below 2 options if you are driving between Pune and Hyd.

1) DO NOT Drive on the NH9 highway at all. It's one lousy road to drive on with no fun at all !! I've driven on this road 4 times in the last 3 years. Each year has been more frustrating than the earlier.

2) If you still need to drive and are comfortable with night driving, start around 8:00pm so that you will reach your destination within 12 hours. Advantage is that you do not get held up with big trucks, trailers, villagers on bikes and tractors.

Speed recommendeds :
Hyd - Hunmabad - 100-120kmph
Humnabad - Naladurgh - 60 - 80kmph (lots of pot holes)
Naladurgh - Solapur - 80 - 100
Solapur - Kedgaon - 70 - 80 kmph ( Lot of construction activity on Road)
Kedgaon - Pune 100 - 120 kmph
Pune - Mumbai - As fast as you can :-))
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:17   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Owing to horrible roads between Pune and Solapur, I guess it would be better to take the new Shatabdi from Pune to Hyderabad. For a price of Rs 780 for the AC Chair car, it sure beats the travails of road travel.

And the journey takes only 8.5 hours. The train leaves Hyd at 220 pm and reaches by 11 pm. I think it will commence from this month, 6 days a week except Tuesdays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Train is already functional since November 2011, if not earlier.
The Shatabdi is running from somewhere around 2010 April.The Hyd-Pune is inconvenient for onward journeys as the train reaches Pune only at 11.But the return leg is far more convenient in terms of timing,but still any day better than the mess that is called NH9.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:17   #171
BHPian

I would take the train too, if they let me drive it . It least the novelty of it would keep me interested for the first couple of times. After that, I could want to go off the rails!

Quote:

Old 2nd January 2012, 18:00   #172
BHPian

Default My Return leg Hyd-Mumbai

I set off at 515 AM from hyderabad. Made the elementary mistake of not having a full tank and tyre pressure check the previous night. Ended up wasting half an hour as a result. I could not find a good 24x7 on the way and took two tries before I found one open. They did not have their compressor on though.

Still, did great time and reached Solapur bypass at 915 AM. And then hit the worst part of the route - Solapur to Mohol, where overtaking was a big pain, even on Sunday morning, 1-1-2012, and took me an hour plus, including a stop for breakfast. Mohol (1030 Am) to Satara was again a blaze. Reached Satara at 2PM even at a leisurely, tension free pace. Then I went through the Khambatki tunnel. Looks like there is a tunnel from Satara to Pune, and the old ghat in the reverse direction. At this point, I was feeling on top of the world and thought I would be in Mumbai by 5 PM.

Things rapidly went downhill from here on. The Katraj tunnel toll booth was Jammed. Then the Pune Bypass, and Toll boooths along the way were Jammed. Was 6 PM when I hit Dehu road.. I have never seen so much traffic on this road. It was choc-a-bloc, with a noticeably high incidence of two wheelers and tourist Taveras/Qualis/Innovas. Then the E-way itself was a sight to behold. So many headlights! I should have taken a pic, but by then, my bheja had been deep fried and I was just looking to get home. Even e-way was much slower than normal because of the heavy load of traffic. So almost 8PM by the time I got near the first JNPT Panvel Exit. There was another huge Jam here, dont know what on earth caused it. Finally 915PM before we exited the e-way. No accident, no naka bandi, no visible causes for the jam. After that, traffic was normal.

Will post a few pics in a day or two.

I learnt a few things on this trip:
1. Satara-Pandharpur detour is the coolest route from Mumbai to Hyd recently. The little Mohol-Solapur part of NH9 that I encountered was bad enough to deter me from going directly to Pune.
2. I can manage 15 hour drives
3. The Linea is a real Grand Tourer. It was made for the highway, for curvy ghats, and not so great roads. It swallowed up the entire journey, around 1600 Km, without a single complaint. And the ride was very comfortable. Even my 5m old did not complain. And I did a number of curves at high speed, never once felt out of control. Only thing was that the bottom hit the road 3 times. All happened at bridges where there is a sudden dip and a camel's back.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:48   #173
BHPian

Quote:
it would be better to take the new Shatabdi from Pune to Hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The Hyd-Pune is inconvenient for onward journeys as the train reaches Pune only at 11.But the return leg is far more convenient in terms of timing
I have been meaning to update the below information here for some times now but somehow always forget to do so.

There is a fully A/C Duranto Express (12219) between Secunderabad (SC) and Lokmanya Tilak Terminal (LTT) in Kurla at Mumbai.

Ex Secunderabad, it departs at 23:00 on Tuesdays & Fridays with arrival at Mumbai next day at 11:05.

Ex Mumbai, it departs at 23:00 on Wednesdays & Saturdays with arrival at Secunderabad next day at 11:05.

It has one 1A (Rs. 2,155), two 2A (Rs. 1,225)and eight 3A (Rs. 860) coaches and the travel time is 12 hours either way.

It has technical halts (no passengers can board) at Wadi, Solapur, Pune, Lonavala & Karjat.

Ex Secunderabad, since its technical halt at Pune is at 07:47 for 10 minutes, I was wondering if I could book the ticket till Mumbai and de-board the train at Pune? It would be a real cool 9 hours journey and that too overnight!
Old 25th January 2012, 16:47   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been meaning to update the below information here for some times now but somehow always forget to do so.

There is a fully A/C Duranto Express (12219) between Secunderabad (SC) and Lokmanya Tilak Terminal (LTT) in Kurla at Mumbai.

Ex Secunderabad, it departs at 23:00 on Tuesdays & Fridays with arrival at Mumbai next day at 11:05.

Ex Mumbai, it departs at 23:00 on Wednesdays & Saturdays with arrival at Secunderabad next day at 11:05.

It has one 1A (Rs. 2,155), two 2A (Rs. 1,225)and eight 3A (Rs. 860) coaches and the travel time is 12 hours either way.

It has technical halts (no passengers can board) at Wadi, Solapur, Pune, Lonavala & Karjat.

Ex Secunderabad, since its technical halt at Pune is at 07:47 for 10 minutes, I was wondering if I could book the ticket till Mumbai and de-board the train at Pune? It would be a real cool 9 hours journey and that too overnight!
I have done the Duronto journey a number of times.Yes its a lovely train.Food sucks though.No dinner.Morning they server you a teawater,2 biscuits,2 rock hard cutlets and two slices of bread and a never heard of juice packet!!!you could technically deboard the train at pune as invariably it ends up stopping there for around 20mins.the only hitch is if they suddenly change the halts then it could be a problem which is a remote possibility,also i dont know if there is any railway rule against getting off durontos & rajdhanis at these technical stops,i remember reading on IRCFA (Similar to TBHP,but for railway buffs)about a rule.

Otherwise Duronto is excellent a real boon and the best part is tkts are always almost available even 2 days before travel.

A little bit of trivia,the SEC-LTT duronto is the most profitable of the durontos running and makes approx INR 11Lakhs in one trip.(Source Indian Railways)

I have sent you on your fb page a link to the duronto photographs.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 10:44   #175
BHPian

Question Mumbai - Hyderabad - 3rd to 8th March

Guys I have planned a road trip to Hyderabad from Mumbai.

Hyderabad not being a great tourist hotspot I am not able to find lots of info on same. So all those who have traveled or stay there please help!!!!

Duration: 3rd March 2012 - 13:00 pm to 8th March 2012 12:00 pm
Travelers: 4 adults (2 couples) and a 3 yr old child.
Vehicle: Ford Figo Zxi - Diesel.
Stay at : Amerpeeth, Hyderabad (from 4th to 8th) - Booked.

Must things to do please provide details about following places)
1. Cover Akkalkot route.
2. Ramoji Film city. - need details about the stay and other features???
3. Visit Pochampally for shopping - please suggest details on this???
4. Snow world.
5. Salrjung museum.
6. Golconda fort.

Also suggest any other places i shall visit.

My stay is without food so please suggest good places where I can try out some mouth watering Hyderabadi cuisine (I really enjoy street food!!!).

Waiting for reply guys...
pushkark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:08   #176
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Hyderabad - 3rd to 8th March

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post

Duration: 3rd March 2012 - 13:00 pm to 8th March 2012 12:00 pm
Travelers: 4 adults (2 couples) and a 3 yr old child.
Vehicle: Ford Figo Zxi - Diesel.
Stay at : Amerpeeth, Hyderabad (from 4th to 8th) - Booked.

Must things to do please provide details about following places)
1. Cover Akkalkot route.
2. Ramoji Film city. - need details about the stay and other features???
4. Snow world.
5. Salrjung museum.
6. Golconda fort.

Also suggest any other places i shall visit.

My stay is without food so please suggest good places where I can try out some mouth watering Hyderabadi cuisine (I really enjoy street food!!!).

Waiting for reply guys...
Paradise Biriyani is a must eat.Hyd is the epicentre of biriyanis so anywhere and everywhere you go,you would end up seeing biriyani,but do try the Paradise one.Serving quantities are large in any restaurant,so bear tht in mind.

Ramoji would take you one full day.Be there when it opens at 9.They have two types of tickets,one priced at 1100 or so and the other at 1600 or so per person.The latter includes an a/c vehicle,lunch etc,personalised guide etc.Ramoji does not let your private cars go inside beyond a point.The other way to do it is you could leave for Ramoji the previous night around 7pm(1.5hr drive from city to ramoji) and stay the night in one of the three hotels inside RFC.Rooms should cost you around 3500-5k.This way you could see the place at leisure.

Plan your visit to Golconda in such a way that you finish going around by 6-7pm so that you get to see the Light & Sound show.

When you visit Salarjung,go see the Charminar as well and indulge in some shopping in the old city areas.

Feel free to pm me for more details.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:45   #177
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit, being a Newbie don't have the option to send a PM.

What time should I budget for visit to Golconda?

Also can you suggest a few items that I should shop for?

As for Ramoji what ticket would you suggest?

I am also planning to visit Pochampally (Think I got the name right) for some saree shopping. Can you throw some light on that.

As stated above am a big fan of local cuisine and street food, can you suggest a few places to try out the Hyderabadi cuisine?

Sorry for asking too many questions...
Old 29th February 2012, 13:00   #178
BHPian

Default Re: My Return leg Hyd-Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao View Post
3. The Linea is a real Grand Tourer. It was made for the highway, for curvy ghats, and not so great roads. It swallowed up the entire journey, around 1600 Km, without a single complaint. And the ride was very comfortable. Even my 5m old did not complain. And I did a number of curves at high speed, never once felt out of control. Only thing was that the bottom hit the road 3 times. All happened at bridges where there is a sudden dip and a camel's back.
>>>

That for me is the essence and the driver for intercity driving.
And no amount of Durontos, blended with typical Indian Railways mismanagement cum crowds cum noise cum filth can ever be a viable alternative to driving, even through the most dangerous ( yes we have one of the most dangerous road and traffic conditions) driving environments in the world.

Although none of the cars in India, with the possible exception of some premium ones (Astons, the SLS AMG et. al) can technically be defined as grand tourers, what we have today is that with rising affluence and rising car ownership, family sedans and even smaller hatchbacks are being used for long inter city travel, for the Indian version of the grand tour that British aristocrats did in the 18th & 19th centuries; motoring in the early part of the 20th century 'motorised' the grand tour and hence the use of the term grand tourer or gran tourismo to define a fast and comfortable two or four seater with reasonable space for luggage for a suitably grand travel.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 29th February 2012 at 13:09. Reason: Clarified a point
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 17:31   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
1. Cover Akkalkot route.
4. Snow world.
1. What is Akkalkot route?

3. Pochampally is history. You will find better and much more variety in any nice silk store within the city.

4. Do book Snow World online or through someone in advance. Not at all advisable to go there as sometimes bulk bookings are done by groups and you may end up waiting for very long.

Do keep aside an evening for Eat Street on Necklace Road where you can have dinner and chill out apart from which you can also take a boat to the statue in the middle of the Hussainsagar Lake. You can also try out the laser show at Lumbini Park which is near to Eat Street. Birla Temple is a must visit (avoid Thursday) and is very close to Lumbini Park.

You can drive around Charminar and see Mecca Masjid (adjoining Charminar) which is a stone throw away from Salarjung Museum. While in that area, you can see Chowmohallah Palace and Purani Haveli also. If you wish to splurge, you can lunch at Falaknuma Palace (a Taj hotel) which is near to Charminar. There is a car museum called Sudha Kar Museum or something like that near Charminar (actually at Bahadurpally Junction).

There is a night bazar at Shilparamam though you can visit it in the day time also.

Take a drive on the ORR aka Outer Ring Road.

As per me, Hyderabad as a tourist destination can be covered in at least pone week and I can go on and on but have some work and need to log off now ...
Old 29th February 2012, 17:43   #180
BHPian

Quote:
1. What is Akkalkot route?

3. Pochampally is history. You will find better and much more variety in any nice silk store within the city.

4. Do book Snow World online or through someone in advance. Not at all advisable to go there as sometimes bulk bookings are done by groups and you may end up waiting for very long.

Do keep aside an evening for Eat Street on Necklace Road where you can have dinner and chill out apart from which you can also take a boat to the statue in the middle of the Hussainsagar Lake. You can also try out the laser show at Lumbini Park which is near to Eat Street. Birla Temple is a must visit (avoid Thursday) and is very close to Lumbini Park.

You can drive around Charminar and see Mecca Masjid (adjoining Charminar) which is a stone throw away from Salarjung Museum. While in that area, you can see Chowmohallah Palace and Purani Haveli also. If you wish to splurge, you can lunch at Falaknuma Palace (a Taj hotel) which is near to Charminar. There is a car museum called Sudha Kar Museum or something like that near Charminar (actually at Bahadurpally Junction).

There is a night bazar at Shilparamam though you can visit it in the day time also.

Take a drive on the ORR aka Outer Ring Road.

As per me, Hyderabad as a tourist destination can be covered in at least pone week and I can go on and on but have some work and need to log off now ...
1. What is Akkalkot route? - Its a place of pilgrim near Solapur.
3. Can you suggest any alternative for buying silk sarees instead of Pochampally?
4.How to book the snow world? do you know their website?

Also please go on and on cos I need loads of Info for the trip.

any good places to try the hyderabadi cuisine, not splurge ones though..

I have 3 1/2 - 4 days there, will chalk out a plan today and post it.

Your suggestions and tips are invaluable so please keep posting.