Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th April 2013, 14:54   #211
BHPian

Default re: Mumbai - Hyderabad : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
Hi Udiboy,
I did Hyd-Pune last week. Hadapsar-Solapur is a very comfortable 5 hrs drive. In fact, it is a good 4 hour drive even in the night - so for you during the daytime, it should not be an issue at all.

Many sections in Indapur-Solapur sector are open both sides which helps in overtaking the very slow moving trucks and keeping an avg of 50-60 very comfortably.

The road surface is good throughout... (except probably 1 or 2 stretches of 1 kms where the old surface is still being used).
Many thanks Prabingade,

I regret that I cannot take on this route during the night, thanks to those "tubelitish" headlights VW has put on the Vento - The idea of wasting a complete day bugs me, especially if it is a non-picturesque drive as the Mumbai-Hyd drive during summers!!!!

Thanks Again
udiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:23   #212

Hi Udiboy,

I don't know if you have driven this route before but I have a few times & I would not recommend driving on this route.

1. Its a dull & boring journey and very few joints to stop over for a meal / refreshment. Good luck finding a washroom for the ladies after Pune.

2. The road is still under construction at many sections. Pune - Solapur is terrible at places. You are rarely driving in a straight line because of the construction. Your safety is compromised and many a time you will find a truck heading straight for you because he missed the direction boards put up by the highway authorities. This happens pretty frequently.

3. Around 150 kms before Hyderabad is a place called Humnabad. There is around 10kms of road which I think NASA uses to practise before they send people to the moon.
Many accidents happen here due to tyre bursts. Drive extremely cautiously.

Even if you do decide to drive, please do not drive at night under any circumstances. Its extremely treacherous and avoidable.
A.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 07:59   #213
Team-BHP Support

What is a good bypass for Pune when coming from Mumbai (e-way) to NH9 (Solapur side)

Is it NH4 bypass to Kataraj and then head to Hadapsar?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 18:27   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What is a good bypass for Pune when coming from Mumbai (e-way) to NH9 (Solapur side)

I think that is the best, though I did not use it. When I traveled a few years ago, I continued straight from the end of the Expressway onto the Bangalore Highway, and turned left at some spot that led me to Swargate and then to Hadapsar. I don't remember the route now.

Asish Pallod or Ranjit P may have latest information.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 18:50   #215
Senior - BHPian

A short update on recent drive to Hyderabad & back - both night drives.

We left from Pune (Pashan) around 7.30, passing Hadapsar-Loni stretch around 8.30pm (post a short dinner). Reached Hyderabad at 4.30 in the morning. No halts during the night except for a fuel pitstop near Indapur. Travel time ~9 hours.

Key pointers
- Low to moderate traffic on Pune - Solapur stretch. Most of this traffic is seen between Hadapsar - Kedagaon.
- Absolutely very less or zero truck traffic post Solapur. However the number of Volvo/other buses coming from Hyderabad increased.
- Diversions on the MH side are a pain, however manageable.
- All toll gates have started functioning on the MH side. Thankfully the AP side has very few tolls.
- Solapur bypass is still a pain area with dusty diversions.
- Overall, I preferred this option over my previous day drive a few months back. Low traffic, good weather. Of course, having a 2nd driver helped a lot.

Return drive was till Mumbai - this took close to 14 hours.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 07:45   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I usually take one of the below routes

1.Dehu Road-NH4-Kapurhole-Saswad-Jejuri-Baramati-Indapur(NH9)

2.Dehu Road-NH4-Satara-Left turn-Mhaswad-Pandharpur-Mohol(NH9)

3.Dehu Road-Katraj-Swargate Depot-AFMC-Hadapsar-NH9
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 07:53   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
1.Dehu Road-NH4-Kapurhole-Saswad-Jejuri-Baramati-Indapur(NH9)
2.Dehu Road-NH4-Satara-Left turn-Mhaswad-Pandharpur-Mohol(NH9)
3.Dehu Road-Katraj-Swargate Depot-AFMC-Hadapsar-NH9
Satara-Pandharpur seems to be a good option. But traffic is quite heavy till Satara. Is is similar on NH9 too ? If not then the Hadaspar option may be a better one.
How much time it usually take to cross Pune completely through the bypass? Because even the bypass is quite heavy on traffic.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:34   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Satara-Pandharpur seems to be a good option. But traffic is quite heavy till Satara. Is is similar on NH9 too ? If not then the Hadaspar option may be a better one.
How much time it usually take to cross Pune completely through the bypass? Because even the bypass is quite heavy on traffic.
Expressway to Hadapsar and viceversa between 8am and 10pm could take around 60-90mins and before and after this should take around 45mins.

Pandharpur route is ok to take during daytime,after dark its quite isolated.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:35   #219
BHPian

I had similiar problem twice while crossing Pune. In the night it is quite ok but during the day
it is quite difficult to cross Pune.I was trying to find out wheather this is a better option
Kedagaon-Nhavare-Shikrapur-Chakan-Talegaon Dabhade and then join Y.C express highway to Mumbai.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 12:47   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I was trying to find out wheather this is a better option
Kedagaon-Nhavare-Shikrapur-Chakan-Talegaon Dabhade and then join Y.C express highway to Mumbai.
The route kedgaon - shikrapur - chakan - talegoan is going to be 4 laned in coming years.
At present, kedgaon -nhavra - shikrapur is in very bad condition.
shikrapur -chakan- talegoan is high traffic road.
Better avoid to take the route till it 4laned.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 13:10   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
The route kedgaon - shikrapur - chakan - talegoan is going to be 4 laned in coming years.
At present, kedgaon -nhavra - shikrapur is in very bad condition.
shikrapur -chakan- talegoan is high traffic road.
Better avoid to take the route till it 4laned.
Good to note this AP. So a good 4-laned bypass all round the city. Thats much needed.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:24   #222
BHPian

Hi All,

Did a Mum-hyd-Mum trip recently - here are few updates on the conditions of the road.

1. Vashi toll to Panvel Exit - Road quality is pathetic, this 20 kms stretch can easily take 30-40 mins. (Drive Time 30-40 mins)
2. Panvel Exit to Hadapasr - No problems here, expect a smooth sailing. (Drive Time : 2hr 20 min)
3. Hadapsar to Indapur - 99% of the road is excellent quality, only one diversion on single lane for about 1 to 1.5 kms. The only problem on this stretch is that people walk on the road in the middle of the night, and bikers criss cross in opposite direction. (Drive Time : 1 hr 30 mins)
4. Indapur to Tembhurni - 95% of this road is excellent - we do not enter Indapur anymore. However, we pass through the town of Tembhruni. The turn from where all the trucks take a diversion towards Delhi can be clogged depending on which time of the day you reach this place - be committed to hustle your way in desi style. (Drive Time : 30 mins)
5. Tembhurni - Mohol - Solapur : Again only a handful of diversion - road quality good to excellent. (Drive Time : 1 hr 30 mins)
6. Solapur Bypass - Naldurg : Undivided dual carriageway - can have fun with the twisties, good road - can maintain 80-90 clicks per hour. (Drive Time : 35-40 mins)
7. Naldurg to Umerga : The road deteriorates immediately after Naldurg and can unsettle you for 10 kms after leaving Naldurg - Decent roads till Umerga from there on. (45 mins)
8.Umerga - Zaheerabad : Out of the 112 kms, this stretch has good roads for 40-42 kms, after entering Karnataka, the story changes - the road is the worst I have seen all my life - you keep jumping from one crater to another - there are vehicles zig-zagging though the entire road to avoid potholes - nothing would help - this is a 40 km horror stretch - the average speed is 15-20 (if you love your suspensions). Once we enter Andhra, the road becomes drive-able. (2.5 hr)
9. Zaheerabad to Patanheru ORR : Busy narrow highway with decent roads. (1 hr 15 mins)
udiboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 17:30   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udiboy View Post
Hi All,

Did a Mum-hyd-Mum trip recently - here are few updates on the conditions of the road.

1. Vashi toll to Panvel Exit - Road quality is pathetic, this 20 kms stretch can easily take 30-40 mins. (Drive Time 30-40 mins)
2. Panvel Exit to Hadapasr - No problems here, expect a smooth sailing. (Drive Time : 2hr 20 min)
3. Hadapsar to Indapur - 99% of the road is excellent quality, only one diversion on single lane for about 1 to 1.5 kms. The only problem on this stretch is that people walk on the road in the middle of the night, and bikers criss cross in opposite direction. (Drive Time : 1 hr 30 mins)
4. Indapur to Tembhurni - 95% of this road is excellent - we do not enter Indapur anymore. However, we pass through the town of Tembhruni. The turn from where all the trucks take a diversion towards Delhi can be clogged depending on which time of the day you reach this place - be committed to hustle your way in desi style. (Drive Time : 30 mins)
5. Tembhurni - Mohol - Solapur : Again only a handful of diversion - road quality good to excellent. (Drive Time : 1 hr 30 mins)
6. Solapur Bypass - Naldurg : Undivided dual carriageway - can have fun with the twisties, good road - can maintain 80-90 clicks per hour. (Drive Time : 35-40 mins)
7. Naldurg to Umerga : The road deteriorates immediately after Naldurg and can unsettle you for 10 kms after leaving Naldurg - Decent roads till Umerga from there on. (45 mins)
8.Umerga - Zaheerabad : Out of the 112 kms, this stretch has good roads for 40-42 kms, after entering Karnataka, the story changes - the road is the worst I have seen all my life - you keep jumping from one crater to another - there are vehicles zig-zagging though the entire road to avoid potholes - nothing would help - this is a 40 km horror stretch - the average speed is 15-20 (if you love your suspensions). Once we enter Andhra, the road becomes drive-able. (2.5 hr)
9. Zaheerabad to Patanheru ORR : Busy narrow highway with decent roads. (1 hr 15 mins)
I assume you just got lucky withe railway gates as well between indapur and solapur!If the gate is closed then its a minimum 4km line of vehicles on either side and with people not having the patience to wait in line its utter mayhem!
Old 30th August 2013, 01:11   #224
BHPian

I'm planning to travel to Thane this Saturday night or Sunday morning. Is this route doable in the night? I've driven to Mahabaleshwar in Nov 2012 (night drive) the roads were not in good shape.

If i leave by 4am from Hyderabad on Sunday can i reach Thane by 6pm? Please suggest best route.

I'll be travelling on Punto (three guys).
punto_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 06:33   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I'm planning to travel to Thane this Saturday night or Sunday morning. Is this route doable in the night? I've driven to Mahabaleshwar in Nov 2012 (night drive) the roads were not in good shape.

If i leave by 4am from Hyderabad on Sunday can i reach Thane by 6pm? Please suggest best route.

I'll be travelling on Punto (three guys).
Its going to be horrible driving night time on hyd-indapur.4am Hyd-930(10am) Solapur-230-3pm @Pune-430(5pm) @Panvel(2hrs MPEW)-Panvel to Thane peak hour traffic time 60-90mins.15hrs should be a safe bet.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote