Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th November 2013, 21:03   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Mumbai - Hyderabad : Route Queries

Thanks for the update, @udiboy. Really helps. Now we know for sure that Hyderabad to Pune is not an option for a driving holiday, at least for the next 2 months.

I was wondering if it is worthwhile taking a longer route from Gulbarga via Bijapur to Solapur. We know for sure that the stretch from Gulbarga to Bijapur is great, but not sure of the other leg.

Any inputs from anybody would be of great help. Going by your feedback, I'd surely try a better option even if it is 100 kms longer, as I love my car.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 22:51   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the update, @udiboy. Really helps. Now we know for sure that Hyderabad to Pune is not an option for a driving holiday, at least for the next 2 months.

I was wondering if it is worthwhile taking a longer route from Gulbarga via Bijapur to Solapur. We know for sure that the stretch from Gulbarga to Bijapur is great, but not sure of the other leg.

Any inputs from anybody would be of great help. Going by your feedback, I'd surely try a better option even if it is 100 kms longer, as I love my car.
I guess just to continue on the same chain of thought - it will also be helpful, if someone can throw light on travelling from Gulbarga to Akkalkot via SH 22 & 154. The proposed route goes from Gulbarga to Afzalpur, then takes a right and moves onto SH 154 through Karajgi-Nagansur-Kadabgaon- all the way upto Akkalkot. The distance is 117 kms as aganist the 90 kms through the conventional SH10. Even if it takes the same time, it would be worth it, as you could still do a 12 hr drive from HYD to MUM with some spirited driving in other sectors (read : Hyd-Gulbarga, Solapu-Pune and Pune-Panvel)...
udiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 12:58   #258
Senior - BHPian

I think its good to forget about travelling on NH9 between Zaheerabad and Solapur for a long time now unless some miracle happens and the contractor obliges to repair the existing road.

The 4laning is all set to begin between Zaheerabad and Solapur.The site office has been set up at Karali around 10kms before Umarga (towards Solapur). and machinery has moved in from what I saw during my drive.Like always,it is never the building of the road that causes delays,it is always the land acquisition,lets hope this is done quickly.
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 13:51   #259
Team-BHP Support

I may be driving to Gulbarga during 1st week of December for a wedding.

What is the best route to take from Hyderabad?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 13:56   #260
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Without a second thought.. Take this road.
Hyderabad (vikarabad road via gandipet) to Parigi

The road is good. very few potholes. Atleast it is drivable when compared to sholapur road.
Parigi to Kondangal and then to sedam. From there you have a toll road - good road.
gemi_kk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 15:17   #261
BHPian

Quote:

Avi Bhai, without doubt, please take Hyderabad- Pargi- Kodangal-Sedam-Gulbarga route.

To reach Pargi from Hyderbad you could also take the Hyderabad-Bangalore road and reach Shadnagar town and then reach Pargi. This road is also pretty good and simple to travel to Pargi.

After Kodangal the toll road starts and it is very good. This road takes you to Gulbarga.

Last edited by zen91 : 19th November 2013 at 15:19.
zen91 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 18:40   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like the rest,ORR-Moinabad-Manneguda-Parigi-Kodangal-Right Turn at Petrol Pump-SH10-Ribbonpally-Sedam-Gulbarga.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 15:35   #263
Team-BHP Support

I was contemplating driving to Kodai but, looks like due to distance it may not happen

So now the plan is to have a quick short vacation in Lonavla/Khandala during 3rd week of December.

How is the route from Hyderabad to Lonavala? Is the dreaded Humnabad road still bad? Any detours to avoid the bad patch?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 16:36   #264
BHPian

The Solapur - Lonavala sector is perfect except for some minor streches (read : tembhurni)

So the only question that remains now is the road between Solapur and Hyderabad - Yes, the Humnabad stretch is still in bad shape.

I suggest you go till Zaheerabad, then take a right towards Bidar and join the NH9 at Humnabad.

From here on the road is average to strictly ok till Solapur.

The option of going through Gulbarga is great too, but for the 18 km horror stretch rom MH border to Akkalkot - You will need close to 1 hr 10 mins to cross this stretch of 18kms and run the risk of being hit by stray gravel that flies past from the tires of a state transport buses, sugarcane trolleys and trucks. In terms of the total time, I think the route from Gulbarga might just serve you better by 30 mins if you can maintain great speeds on the ribbonapally toll road....
udiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 22:52   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was contemplating driving to Kodai but, looks like due to distance it may not happen

So now the plan is to have a quick short vacation in Lonavla/Khandala during 3rd week of December.

How is the route from Hyderabad to Lonavala? Is the dreaded Humnabad road still bad? Any detours to avoid the bad patch?
You are better off going to Kodai than Lonavla considering the fact that you have great roads to Kodai and driving time would be slightly higher maybe by an hour or two but is offset by some brilliant roads,wayside facilities and roadside vistas.Crowds at Kodai too would be far less as opposed to L&K where you can expect the whole of Mumbai and Pune to be.

Hyd-Blr: 7hrs

Blr-Salem:2.5hrs

Salem-Kodai Road:2hr

Kodai Road-Kodai:1.5-2hrhr

Hyd-Pune would easily take you 10-11hrs,1-1.5hr to bypass Pune,another 1hr to Lonavla and plus all those craeters and horrible roads.My vote goes to Kodai
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 09:49   #266
rv3
BHPian

Doing a HYD-PUNE trip today. As suggested by others, trying to avoid Zaheerabad to Humnabad NH9 sector and instead going via Bidar. Will update by tomorrow.
rv3 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 13:47   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv3 View Post
Doing a HYD-PUNE trip today. As suggested by others, trying to avoid Zaheerabad to Humnabad NH9 sector and instead going via Bidar. Will update by tomorrow.
any developments on the route that you took?
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 22:48   #268
rv3
BHPian

@kippu - sorry for the delay. Here is the update below:

Started Ameerpet at 3pm. Wanted to start at 2pm so that I could cross the bad patch between HYD and Solapur but could not, due to personal reasons.

The road from Ameerpet to BHEL was crowded and narrow due to the Hyderabad Metro Rail construction going on. Took me nearly 1 hour to cross 20 Kms distance.

Road post BHEL towards Sadshivpet was OK but with heavy traffic. Reached near-abouts of Sadashivpet around 4:30pm.

As soon as we neared Sadashivpet, the road worsened. Deep 2 feet wide/1 foot deep craters greeted us. Avoided the pot holes skillfully but it worsened near Sadashivpet. The concrete/tar road was converted into a gravel filled, crater full of nightmare.

Due to the sunlight (thanks to the wary BHPians who had alerted in this thread), I could avoid most of the holes but one or two hit the car really bad. Thanks again to the Ford suspension, no major damage was done (the front tyre got punctured later is a complete different thing...will come to it in the next paragraph). The entire stretch from Sadashivpet to Zaheerabad, a distance of about 40+Kms is the most dreaded. Since I had already passed Sadashivpet, could not find alternate route.

Reached Zaheerabad at about 6pm and immediately inquired for Bidar route. A police man directed me the right road on the right. To my biggest relief, the road was fantastic and reached Bidar, a distance of 24 Kms, in about 30 mins. From Bidar, there are two roads to Humnabad - one from old bus stand and another from new bus stand. When I inquired with an autowallah, I came to know that the old bus stand road was very bad but there is another road near new bus stand and I was strongly suggested to take that road.

Took the new bus stand > Humnabad road and oh boy, it was a huge relief. The entire stretch of 43Kms was very good. Reached Humnabad at 7:30pm. Yes, it did take an hour but due to the previous bad experience, was too careful to cross 80Kph.

Headed towards Solapur with night approaching and still 140+ Kms to be covered. The road started with gravel till about 20Kms but started improving. With about 90Kms to go, the road was really good and no signs of any holes or gravel. The last 60Kms was the toll stretch with 2 tolls of Rs.35 each (4 lane road).

Reached Solapur at 9:45pm. Took a 30 min. break and here is when I found my tyre punctured. There was one bad hole on the Humnabad-Solapur road which I had hit while overtaking a lorry and thankfully, nothing happened to the wheel. Actually, it was not a puncture but due the rim getting bent, the air escaped. There was a puncture shop nearby and got it done within 5 mins. Couldn't thank god enough at this stage.

Left Solapur at 10:15pm and the subsequent journey was superb. Very few places where 4 laning is under progress. Else, it was a breeze. Reached Pune at 2:30am. My family and I couldn't believe we crossed the most treacherous highway.

My suggestion. If there is an alternate road to Hyd > Solapur, please do take it. If not, do not drive this section during dusk/night time. And, a big thanks to BHPians who posted in this thread alerting fellow travellers.
rv3 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 23:51   #269
BHPian

wow , thanks for that rv3, I think i will try the other one and see how that one goes
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 19:12   #270
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to do a quick weekend trip to Hyderabad from Pune. I am planning to start at around 5PM from Pune tomorrow. It'll be me, wifey and our Safari.
Is it advisable to drive in the night because I guess it'll be around 9 PM by the time we hit Solapur.?
Is the Solapur-Hyderabad a strict NO in the night, and is that only because of the road or are there other safety factors?
Clearly NH9 is out of question, so out of the other 2 routes which shall I choose?

And what if I choose this route?
http://goo.gl/maps/ByNJC

Cheers!
Ajit

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 9th January 2014 at 19:28. Reason: Added a route
Ajitsingh208 is offline   Reply With Quote