Old 9th May 2016, 13:43   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
D1: Pune-Nagar-Aurangabad-Jalna
D2: Jalna-Mehekar-Karanja-Amaravati-Nagpur-Raipur
D3:Raipur-Baragarh-Sambalpur-Keonjhar-Kharagpur-Kolkata

Not the best of roads for sure, but direct & the shortest route.Poor facilities after Raipur.

Best route would be via Hyd,with only the Solapur-Hyd section of NH9 undergoing 4 laning now(some sections have been opened on one side).Other than this section all sections are in very good conditions.
You nailed it here mate. The only thing is that my pit stops in each day were different, i.e. Day1 - Nagpur, Day2 - Sambalpur and Day3 - Kolkata ( via Chaudwar, which is circa 260 Kms from Sambalpur on single lane, albeit very scenic, but be very wary of the speed ( car? ) - breaker humps at regular intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subirdas View Post
You were very well advised that the NH6 stretch between Arang and OR/CG border are in absolute shambles, in fact this is an understatement ; however, the road in Orissa is newly laid in excellent condition until Sambalpur. 140 odd Kms here took me more than 5 hours to get through with generous amount of breaks in between. I love my car ( hatch ) and was as cereful as I possibly could to save it from any underbody hits ( don't claim to have been entirely successful though ) with speeds between 20/30 at most places, but have seen some SUVs hurling past me in 80s as well.

I did Nagpur to Pune via Nagpur-Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-Bibi-Sindkhedraja-Jalna-Aurangabad-Ahmednagar-Pune.
Nagpur-Amravati stretch of circa 160 Kms is excellent 4 lane roads - Personally I found this even better than the Mumbai-Pune expressway - took me a little more than 2 hours with a fuel and bio break. You will experience good tarmac from Aurangabad to Pune ( 250 Kms ), albeit the traffic is not very sparce during the day. On my return leg, I did this at night and surprisingly still found decent traffic. The remaining 300 Kms are through two lane state highways with a mixed bag of ok and bad patches, but nothing great to look forward to. Whilst approaching Jalna, you'll have to endure at least 5-10Kms, which hardly resembles roads, but was told that this is still a better option than the usual NH6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlan View Post
Thanks Subir
An appropriate question for you though. Any specific reason or all reasons why you may want to take a Hyd - Vizg route now ? Other than difference of 200 kms per side which is a downside, why should you think the longer route would be preferable now ?
Ranjit has summarised the rationale for the Hyd - Visag vis-a-vis Nagpur-Sambalpur routes beautifully above.

I have copied excerpts from my earlier post for your ready reference.

Last year, I had driven to Ahmedabad ( NH8 ) and Mysore - Ooty ( NH4 ) - both being beautifully laid 4 lane roads and can vouch for the fact that 4 laned good tarmac all through-out makes positive material impact to your travel time ( read less ) , not to forget the grin plastered on your face, with reduced hassles and the overall experience. If you are travelling with family, you should bear in mind the facilities available enroute, which are not great on NH6.

Again my experience is more than a year old and road conditions would have probably got better, but am not privy to the latest developments.
subirdas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 16:21   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Now, I want all your inputs, tips, suggestions, do’s and don’ts, alternate plans, best practices and everything you can throw at me. Also, if anyone have done this trip before, kindly share your experiences please. That would be wonderful.

My specific questions!

1. How are roads after Nagpur till Kharagpur
2. Will my WagonR be able to take this stress!
3. I know its stressful but is there something I am missing !

Eagerly awaiting your inputs !
Quote:
Not the best of roads for sure, but direct & the shortest route.Poor facilities after Raipur.
Quote:
Amlan, I did Pune-Kolkata-Pune in 2014 end and took the route via Nagpur-Sambalpur-Chaudwar-NH5-Kharagpur-Kolkata.
Have a safe trip and please keep us posted on the route and road conditions.
The road condition in this part has changed now and if I answer your specific question, then Nagpur to Raipur is four laned except for four specific areas where the road is two laned and Bhandara town, where again the road is two laned. Raipur to Sambalpur is four laned, except for four patches where the highway goes through some small towns and the bypass is not ready yet.

Beyond Sambalpur the NH6 is in better condition than the NH42 and the NH6 is more scenic and enjoyable to drive. It passes through some forest area, the Simlipal Tiger reserve being the most notable amongst them and there is a ghat section before Keonjhar. Avoid Baharagora and take the Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur road from Jamshola. I had been to Kolkata in the last week of April 2016 and am speaking from what I have seen.

You can see my update here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...emotion-6.html (The "White Knight" comes home - BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion)

Last edited by Sommos : 9th May 2016 at 16:37.
Sommos is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 21:55   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The road condition in this part has changed now and if I answer your specific question, then Nagpur to Raipur is four laned except for four specific areas where the road is two laned and Bhandara town, where again the road is two laned. Raipur to Sambalpur is four laned, except for four patches where the highway goes through some small towns and the bypass is not ready yet.

Beyond Sambalpur the NH6 is in better condition than the NH42 and the NH6 is more scenic and enjoyable to drive. It passes through some forest area, the Simlipal Tiger reserve being the most notable amongst them and there is a ghat section before Keonjhar. Avoid Baharagora and take the Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur road from Jamshola. I had been to Kolkata in the last week of April 2016 and am speaking from what I have seen.

You can see my update here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...emotion-6.html (The "White Knight" comes home - BNW Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion)
Thanks Sommos for the update. It's great to hear that Raipur to Sambalpur is now dual carriageway.Arang to CG-OD border of circa 140 Km was in pretty bad shape earlier. You mention four unfinished patches - how many Kms would that be roughly ?

Glad that the NH6 has got better as well beyond Sambalpur. I took your advice and didn't venture in that route and rather took NH42. How are the naxal issues now in that area ?

Amlan, I forgot to mention that Sommos is the "go-to" man for central India in our forum. You've got some great pointers from him here and hot from the press too (April 2016).

Last edited by subirdas : 9th May 2016 at 22:02.
subirdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 00:35   #214

Question Re: Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries

Quote:
D1: Pune-Nagar-Aurangabad-Jalna
D2: Jalna-Mehekar-Karanja-Amaravati-Nagpur-Raipur
D3:Raipur-Baragarh-Sambalpur-Keonjhar-Kharagpur-Kolkata

Best route would be via Hyd,with only the Solapur-Hyd section of NH9 undergoing 4 laning now(some sections have been opened on one side).Other than this section all sections are in very good conditions.
Thanks Ranjit,
Yes I have same observations and I am still not sure much. Give the below few posts by Sommos and his very recent trip to Kolkata, it seems I have options now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

Sommos,
That's a super informative trip log. Great details and awesome pictures. What you have done here is, you have now caught me right in middle of two minds. One one hand I have an extra 200+kms but a super breeze road with NH9 and the GQ (ofcouse except the Solapur - Hyd section still raising an eyebrow) and on the other hand I have NH-6 face-lift. And guessing it holds good through the monsoon, now I am now fully confused and back to the drawing board. I want to make this journey a positively memorable one. We don't get to do such long trips every year. They are lifetime memories but again, I want to do it driving my own car. Concern is, its old. 10 years and nearing 80K. You may go back a few posts to read about the car status I posted in details. Although I am working on minor fixes every other day.

I am also developing an alternate plan. May sound crazy but how about I get to do both

Maybe go the shorter way (Via Nagpur) when I am in all good mood travelling home and the take the longer and smoother road back to Pune with memories of Durga Puja and home sweet home good times. Or maybe the other way round! Thoughts ?

Quote:
Thanks Sommos for the update. It's great to hear that Raipur to Sambalpur is now dual carriageway.Arang to CG-OD border of circa 140 Km was in pretty bad shape earlier. You mention four unfinished patches - how many Kms would that be roughly ?

Glad that the NH6 has got better as well beyond Sambalpur. I took your advice and didn't venture in that route and rather took NH42. How are the naxal issues now in that area ?

Amlan, I forgot to mention that Sommos is the "go-to" man for central India in our forum. You've got some great pointers from him here and hot from the press too (April 2016).
Thankyou Subir for making introducing me to Sommos. I see we have a plan here. Stay around. We are working on things here and need your inputs everytime.
Amlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 11:04   #215
BHPian

Quote:
I took your advice and didn't venture in that route and rather took NH42. How are the naxal issues now in that area ?
Quote:
One one hand I have an extra 200+kms but a super breeze road with NH9 and the GQ (ofcouse except the Solapur - Hyd section still raising an eyebrow) and on the other hand I have NH-6 face-lift.
There is only one rule that you must follow when making your plans for such a long journey - You must be comfortable with the route and safety of your family is primary.

Well I have been to Kolkata/ Durgapur many times in the last four years and have always taken the NH42 route. It was becoming a bit boring for me lately driving on the NH42 and GQ, so this time I decided to try a new route.

NH42 usually has a heavy traffic load of private cars, buses and oil tankers that ply between Bhubaneshwar and Sambalpur. The private cars and the buses very often ply in the middle of the road which has fair bit of curves and turns. That was very irritating for me and another irritation is crossing Angul. NH6 through Keonjhar was relatively free of huge trucks and local buses maybe because of the ghat section. Since you're from Kolkata, you must have read novels about Bangroposi / Simlipal / Lodhasuli, you actually cross these places in this route, which was another attraction for me.

Last edited by Sommos : 10th May 2016 at 11:06.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 00:37   #216

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit,
Yes I have same observations and I am still not sure much. Give the below few posts by Sommos and his very recent trip to Kolkata, it seems I have options now
Amlan,

I did three trips between Mumbai and Kolkata - January, February and April end 2016 twice in my Tata Safari and the last being on my Ford Ikon TDCI Diesel. The only downer for me was the heat but having already experienced Kerala (Thrissur) heat and humidity in early April which was the worst, I didn't find it so bad. October is relatively cooler so that should be the last of your worries. However, drinking lots of water during road trips are a must as driving does dehydrate a lot.

You are using a petrol vehicle, hence use System G all along as quality of fuel differs from place to place . Orissa offers you a considerable lower price of petrol. There are Company owned company operated (COCO) fuel point at many places on the route. Prefer these. There are not many tolls once you cross Maharashtra.

Get your Car and AC serviced - change lubes, oil filters, air filters, power steering oils, brake oils, coolant-distilled water combination, gear oils, etc., wherever necessary. Check your battery, spark plugs - replace if necessary. The most important checks are for bolts, screws and nuts which get loose during such long trips. Also specifically check the wheel bearings and connecting rods very well.

Pune till Raipur should be a breeze if you follow HVK's best route option or a route you are comfortable with . Raipur till Sambalpur is also relatively smooth however food and bathrooms are a problem area. I prefer Reliance pumps or bigger HP/BP/IO outlets having bathroom facilities. Sambalpur to near Bishoi has very limited facilities for man and machines. So plan accordingly. there is a right turn somewhere close to Bishoi which would take you via Baripada to Amarda Road and from there meeting the Chennai-Kolkata highway. I always prefer this route as it is relatively new with only local traffic and smooth sailing all the way to Kolkata. Let me know for the exact co-ordinates in google maps. Sambalpur to Kolkata by this route is approximately 600kms and should be easily covered in a day provided you leave Sambalpur early. All the best and drive safe.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2016 at 11:18. Reason: Fixed quotes
SafariMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 11:14   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
there is a right turn somewhere close to Bishoi which would take you via Baripada to Amarda Road and from there meeting the Chennai-Kolkata highway. I always prefer this route as it is relatively new with only local traffic and smooth sailing all the way to Kolkata.
The right turn close to Bishoi, that you mentioned here, the place is actually called Jharpokharia. There is a big turnaround, and it is the origin point of NH16 and you can take the right turn to go to Baripada.

If your destination is Kolkata and you have travelled upto jharpokharia on the NH6, then I would prefer to go along the NH6 through Kharagpur. The distance between Jharpokharia to Rupnarayanpur (NH6 & NH60 Junction) is 93 KM compared to 174 KM if you go through Baripada-Amarda Road. If anybody is taking this diversion through Baripada-Amarda Road with the intention to avoid Baharagora, then I would say you take the Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur road from Jamshola check post and join the NH6 again at Pheko. This 33KM state highway is in very good condition.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:34   #218
BHPian

Tomorrow, I need to travel from Pune to Raipur by road. Can someone guide me on the following:
  1. How is Nagpur to Raipur road condition? How much time needed for this stretch, if I cross Nagpur by 6 pm.
  2. I will be starting from Ahmednagar by 6 am. I have done Pune - Amravati and I am familiar with the route. If I reach Amravati by 2 pm, what are the good vegererian eateries just before or after Amravati?
  3. Where can I get decent and clean budget accommodation in Raipur, if we staying for 2-3 days? We are coming there for a potential secondhand purchase of a machine.
  4. Do we have any risk from naxalite activities in Raipur and surrounding industrial area?

Thanks in advance.

Moderators, I am posting the query in this thread since Nagpur - Raipur stretch lies on Mumbai - Konkata highway. Please shift the post if there is a more appropriate thread.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 2nd July 2016 at 12:35.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 14:06   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Tomorrow, I need to travel from Pune to Raipur by road. Can someone guide me on the following:
  1. How is Nagpur to Raipur road condition? How much time needed for this stretch, if I cross Nagpur by 6 pm.
  2. Do we have any risk from naxalite activities in Raipur and surrounding industrial area?
Nagpur to Raipur is a good four laned road.Nagpur to Bhilai will hardly take you 3.5 hours.The last 35 km from bhilai to raipur should take another one hour as this stretch has dense truck traffic.If you leave nagpur by 6PM then you should be able to make it to raipur by 10:30PM

I live in bhilai and have never heard of any naxal activities around raipur. The nagpur raipur stretch is completely safe round the clock.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd July 2016 at 16:26. Reason: Fixing Quotes, please Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
anupam084 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 09:37   #220
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some information.
Planning a drive from Baloda Bazar to Bhubaneshwar via Sambalpur tomorrow. Since i will be starting late in the day would like to halt in Sambalpur for the night.
Any inputs for a decent Hotel in Sambalpur for a night halt close to the NH.
Thanks in advance.
nkghai is offline   Reply With Quote