Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th May 2012, 06:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

I heard some bridge work was not complete on the Kollengode-Vadakkencherry road. Is that true?
Havent heard anything on this.I doubt anything of that sort would happen as Kollengode Vadakencheri is a very busy route so i dont think it would be kept closed for any amount of time.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 07:24   #32
BHPian

There was a bridge construction happening between pollachi and wadakkencherry and hence last time my friend had to go through Palghat from pollachi.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:40   #33
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Kochi : Route Queries

Thanks Ranjith. The only reason for thinking about an alternate route to avoid Avinashi - Coimbatore and palakkad stretch.

If pollachi - wadakkenchery is time consuming, any other route from Dindigul to cochin (via cumbum, kumili)?
Sanoop.Patteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 18:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
There was a bridge construction happening between pollachi and wadakkencherry and hence last time my friend had to go through Palghat from pollachi.
Should be inside TamilNadu only, that too close to Pollachi town. My brother had travelled last month from Kollengode (in-laws place) to both Guruvayur(via Wadakkancherry) and Palani (regular route) but did not come across any diversions. Both ways, it took about 2 hours (maybe, 15 mins more) for his family and so pretty sure of no diversions as such.

One thing I have heard a few months back was the railway crossing somewhere on the Pollachi->Kollengode was blocked due to gauge conversion work reaching that point. But the closure/diversion was only for a few days then.

A couple of weeks back when I went to Palani, met some family coming from Thrissur side. Even their driver said the road is open throughout without any diversions. Not very sure if there actually existed just a minor diversion, even if it existed, that it was not worth remembering !

Last edited by ajithbr : 14th May 2012 at 18:06.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 09:20   #35
BHPian

yes, this was very close to pollachi town (may be around 5 kms in to the pollachi wadakkancherry route). I am not sure of the latest conditions of the same.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 11:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanoop.Patteri View Post
Thanks Ranjith. The only reason for thinking about an alternate route to avoid Avinashi - Coimbatore and palakkad stretch.

If pollachi - wadakkenchery is time consuming, any other route from Dindigul to cochin (via cumbum, kumili)?
Avinashi section is not bad now a days.You can easily drive through it and there are times when the bypass is open for traffic as well(2lanes only).An alternate route could be Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kuttaneloor-NH47-Kochi.

Else from Dindigul the Theni route is good,no problems with that.If you want to do a little bit of scenic driving then you can even take the Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal route to Kochi,
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 14:26   #37
BHPian

Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal route to Kochi sounds better. It's worth a drive during a vacation. How long it takes to cover the distance?

Yes, I agree. Recently done chennai - coimbatore, work is progressing well in avinashi sector I believe the complete strech will be completed in few more months.

Nowadays I avoid Krishangiri route if my destination is not bangalore. Chennai- Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi- Athur - Salem route is much better due to less distance, less tolls ( yet to commence) and less traffic. Almost 80% of widening work is completed and the attur section with few diversions, very much doable.
Sanoop.Patteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 23:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal route to Kochi sounds better. It's worth a drive during a vacation. How long it takes to cover the distance?

Yes, I agree. Recently done chennai - coimbatore, work is progressing well in avinashi sector I believe the complete strech will be completed in few more months.

Nowadays I avoid Krishangiri route if my destination is not bangalore. Chennai- Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi- Athur - Salem route is much better due to less distance, less tolls ( yet to commence) and less traffic. Almost 80% of widening work is completed and the attur section with few diversions, very much doable.
Theni to Kochi can be dne in approx 4-5hrs/200kms
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 12:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a scenic route and better keep up to 6 hrs for Theni-Kochi route. Certainly there should be some photo shoot breaks.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 12:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Friends,
Need to be in Chennai on 8th morning.
1. Which route best: Cochin-Cbr(or Pollachi)-Salem-Krishnagiri-Chennai or the above Salem-Athur-Kallakurichi-Ulundurpet-Chennai ?

2. There are 100s of hotels, but any suggestion of any specific one: just clean, single AC, parking, that is it. Even outskirts ok, if really good. Need to attend Meeting at Santhome High road.
3. Is Mylapore too far from Santhome road?

Thanks in advance.
Sunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 13:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Friends,
Need to be in Chennai on 8th morning
I suggest regular NH 47 - Salem - Krishnagiri route for your Linea. It should be the faster route compared to others.

Edit: Mylapore - Santhome High road should be ~ 2-3kms

Last edited by coolclouds : 6th June 2012 at 13:40.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 13:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney
Friends,
Need to be in Chennai on 8th morning..
3. Is Mylapore too far from Santhome road?

Hardly 1 -2 kms santhome high road is from mylapore. Hotel shelter in mylapore is a good place.

Last edited by venki.bala : 6th June 2012 at 14:01.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 23:06   #43
BHPian

Monsoon really started today in Kochi. Monsoon means incessant rains in Kerala. This year this happened today, and we 'feel' onset of monsoon from today afternoon.
Starting tomorrow morning 4 to Chennai.
Hope I can give the latest road condition.

Yes, I accept your advice coolclouds, I go through Krishnagiri route. Hope I can meet you at the next TBhp meet in Kochi asap.

Thanks to all for the inputs.
Old 6th June 2012, 23:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Monsoon really started today in Kochi. Monsoon means incessant rains in Kerala. This year this happened today, and we 'feel' onset of monsoon from today afternoon.
Starting tomorrow morning 4 to Chennai.
Hope I can give the latest road condition.

Yes, I accept your advice coolclouds, I go through Krishnagiri route. Hope I can meet you at the next TBhp meet in Kochi asap.

Thanks to all for the inputs.
Sunney, Pls watch out for some minor diversions and single lane traffic on the Krishnagiri - Vellore stretch due to the 6 laning work in progress.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 23:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Sunney, Pls watch out for some minor diversions and single lane traffic on the Krishnagiri - Vellore stretch due to the 6 laning work in progress.
Can you please give a turn to turn route from Salem-Krishnagiri-Chennai route. I mean those junctions where I need to turn to be on the right route?
I traveled 2 years ago through this route, but of late lot of changes, widening making the route totally different.

Please help, if possible.
Thanks