Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th April 2013, 10:37   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Chennai - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
One another query is, if I take the Chennai-dindigul-pollachi route, what are your suggestions for good refuelling stops ? When I did the trip two weeks back, I couldn't find any decent bunks which appeared crowded (just a guage to see how much people prefer this bunk) and hence I had to refuel in one bunk at Dindigul..
Any suggestions ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If its a night drive once you leave Dindigul i doubt you would find many pumps open.Refuel on the pumps on NH7.Else there are a couple of pumps near pollachi bus stand,other than that I cant think of any between kangayam-palladam-pollachi.I would suggest in whichever pump you find open not much of options.eating options also same story-dont expect to get anything once you exit NH7.

I have seen a couple of good ones at Pollachi. But I don't think they would be open at night. Fuel seemed good as I got a good FE. (I have used it once. )
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 10:46   #77

Did Chennai - Aluva trip on Thursday, 11Apr. Started from Porur at 4:30 am and reached Aluva at 5:00.

Route taken was Chennai byepass - Tambaram - Ulundurpet - Salem - Avinashi - CBE byepass - Valayar - Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy.

We have been taking Perundurai - Pollachi route during last few drives and hence wanted to try out the latest condition of NH47 this time.

Road is excellent till Avinashi. After Valayar, the condition is somewhat bad but since the drive was during day time, it was manageable. Kuthiran stretch is still bad with potholes but drivable. Only thing to watch out for is private and transport buses which are going too fast in this road, forcing other vehicles to go off-road sometimes.

Return journey to Chennai is on 21Apr and will mostly be taking Shoranur Ottappallam Palakkad Pollachi route.
ranjish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 14:25   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjish View Post
Kuthiran stretch is still bad with potholes but drivable.
There were reports in Malayalam papers last week about repair work on Irumpu Paalam at Kuthiran. Has it been repaired? Did you notice any repair work happening.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 14:49   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
There were reports in Malayalam papers last week about repair work on Irumpu Paalam at Kuthiran. Has it been repaired? Did you notice any repair work happening.
I did not see any work being carried out at Kuthiran and it was the usual traffic.

Not sure if it is related to any road widening work but I saw some digging and levelling being done on the hill but that was not on the main road.
ranjish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 13:32   #80
Ice
BHPian

I plan to drive to Kochi tomorrow, leaving Chennai early in the morning. I've chosen to take the Madurai route (Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Kumili-Munnar-Ernakulam-Kochi).

a. Is it really a better option (distance, time-taken, road condition) than going via Coimbatore? I'm choosing Madurai because I heard the roads were better than the Coimbatore-Palghat route.

b. I'm traveling in a Fortuner. Will this be viable, or are the roads too narrow?
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 13:39   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I plan to drive to Kochi tomorrow, leaving Chennai early in the morning. I've chosen to take the Madurai route (Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Kumili-Munnar-Ernakulam-Kochi).

a. Is it really a better option (distance, time-taken, road condition) than going via Coimbatore? I'm choosing Madurai because I heard the roads were better than the Coimbatore-Palghat route.

b. I'm traveling in a Fortuner. Will this be viable, or are the roads too narrow?
The Madurai-Theni-Kumili-Munnar route will be time consuming. The major part of this route in Kerala goes through ghat sections which will definitely reduce the average speed.
The Coimbatore route is in very good condition now. The only bad section is between Coimbatore - Palakkad near the Walayar area. This is for a small patch of 2-3 kms which will be never be a problem for your ride.
The regular route Chennai-Tindivanam-Uludrupet-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Ernakulam which will be the best option.
denver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 13:40   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The usual Chennai - Coimbatore - Palghat - Thrissur - Cochin route would be better, shorter. Being almost straight roads throughout, it should take less time than the Theni-Munnar route. Also the roads after coimbatore especially the Kuthiran section is pretty good nowadays. And since your drive a Fortuner, this would be the best route.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 13:53   #83
BHPian

Quote:

Let me suggest a different route. Take the GST all the way till Trichy where in you deviate towards Dindigul on to Palani - udumalai - Pollachi-to join at NH 47 (wadakkanchery)

This is the route which I always take. Only thing is, my drive are always at night and hence there is absolutely no traffic all the way. For a day drive, you can follow the same route but then from dindigual- take the palani route but deviate at Oddanchatram to dharapuram - pollachi so that you can skip palani and Udumalai.
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 15:47   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The original route back via CBE is faster. You may also consider joecherian's option.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 10:20   #85
BHPian

Hey guys, am planning a Pondicherry to Thiruvananthapuram via Kochi on the 5th. Gonna be driving my brand new Honda City, just on the day of delivery.

Have a constraint of wanting to reach Kochi as soon as possible. What would be the best route, in terms of good roads?

Is it Pondy - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur - Kochi?
Or is it Pondy - Trichy - Dindigul - Munnar - Kochi?

Or is there any other route with good roads?
krishnadevjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 12:13   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Hey guys, am planning a Pondicherry to Thiruvananthapuram via Kochi on the 5th. Gonna be driving my brand new Honda City, just on the day of delivery.

Have a constraint of wanting to reach Kochi as soon as possible. What would be the best route, in terms of good roads?

Being a brand new car, I would suggest a route which will not force you to oevrspeed as the normal 4 lane roads might tempt you to go to 3 digit speeds which are not good for a new car

You can take the pondy - get on to GST - Trichy - Karur - Dharapuram - pollachi - wadakkanchery-Trichur-cochin.

Only draw back is, trichy - karur is mostly 2 lane and so is karur - pollachi-wadakanceherry. So if you are OK with the 2 lane roads, then this is a good option.
Or else if you dont want to experiment, then pls stick on the ulundurpet- Salem-palaghat-cochin route..

But, don't do the munnar option.it can slow you down considerably

-
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 12:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Munnar route would slow you down.I would suggest that you take the Pondy-Salem-Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencheri-NH47-Mannuthy-Kochi route.

https://goo.gl/maps/jQVyr
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 16:21   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Munnar route would slow you down.I would suggest that you take the Pondy-Salem-Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencheri-NH47-Mannuthy-Kochi route.

https://goo.gl/maps/jQVyr
Hey, thanks! That route looks very different from most other options. How are the roads along the way? 4-lane? 2-lane? Potholed?
krishnadevjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 19:35   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks! That route looks very different from most other options. How are the roads along the way? 4-lane? 2-lane? Potholed?

4laned till the turn off at Perundurai.From thereon its wide 2laned excellent quality road till Kollengode.From there till vadakkencheri usual kerala two laned.From
Vadakkencheri to Mannuthy 2laned nh47.from mannuthy 4laned till edappally.

Plenty of eating options via this route.This is the regular route that people opt from Salem towards Kerala for the past so many years

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 12:37   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving to Chennai on 22nd August. Planning to leave by 4am and my destination would be Anna Nagar. I have driven to Bangalore numerous times and I reckon it's from Salem that you deviate to chennai? If so, can someone tell the exact road to take? Am quite familiar with the roads in Chennai as I studied there. So the only confusion for me will be from Salem to Chengalpet after which I know the route. Also, let me know the approximate time needed for the drive (assuming I will be stopping at Aryas, near salem for breakfast) and a lunch stop. Also, please suggest a good lunch stop. My return leg will be through ECR and will join the NH through Chengalpet (any other better route to join NH other than Vandalur?). Sorry for too many questions

Last edited by naveen.raju : 28th July 2014 at 12:39.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote