Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th June 2007, 16:11   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Guys from Delhi,
Please can you suggest some decent hotels for stay in Karol Bagh area of Delhi?I am looking at a rate of Rs.1000 per night(incusive of all taxes).

Do they also arrange for pick up from airport?
Thanks,
blrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 11:00   #32
BHPian

Guys,

Another question - From Delhi to Shimla should I catch a night train (10.30 PM) which will reach Kalka the next morning 4.30, so that I can catch the Shivalik express to Shimla.By this, I save some time by night journey.

But, people say that this train is little crappy,meaning there won't be much space to put your luggages etc as compared to the Himalayan Queen.Also people say that I shouldn't miss this Himlayan Queen.

If its the same route then why do people still insist on Himalayan Queen.
When I checked in IRCTC i find that there are no stops for Shivalik express, whereas there are many stops for the Himalayan Queen, hence I am not able to confirm if it goes thru the same route.

I am now confused.Please , any suggestions?
Old 15th June 2007, 12:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Guys,

Another question - From Delhi to Shimla should I catch a night train (10.30 PM) which will reach Kalka the next morning 4.30, so that I can catch the Shivalik express to Shimla.By this, I save some time by night journey.

But, people say that this train is little crappy,meaning there won't be much space to put your luggages etc as compared to the Himalayan Queen.Also people say that I shouldn't miss this Himlayan Queen.

If its the same route then why do people still insist on Himalayan Queen.
When I checked in IRCTC i find that there are no stops for Shivalik express, whereas there are many stops for the Himalayan Queen, hence I am not able to confirm if it goes thru the same route.

AFAIK, Shivalik Dlx Exp is a luxury train with a stop at Barog. Himalayan Queen is a regular transport train with many stops. Though both have only chair-car seating, Shivalik has cushion seats whereas Himalayan Queen has bench seats.

PS: You can stuff your luggage between seats in Shivalik also.

Last edited by msdivy : 15th June 2007 at 12:19.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 12:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

MSDivy is spot on.......the Himalayan Queen has many stops, the route is the SAME, there is only ONE track you know
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 14:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
hence I am not able to confirm if it goes thru the same route.

There is only one track for any train ( uphill as well as downhill ). Its a narrow gauge. Here is one for your reference ( and one of the tunnels )

navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 17:19   #36
BHPian

Thank you msDivy.I have booked my tickets to Shimla by Shiavlik Deluxe from Kalka.

I am now planning to take a cab from Shimla to Manali in the day time.I hope it would cost me around Rs.2400 or so?Correct?

From Manali I plan to book a HPTDC Volvo Sleeper coach to Delhi.
Old 1st March 2011, 17:08   #37
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore-New Delhi-Jaipur-Agra-Shimla

What about the reports ? Though it is 3 years old, would still look forward to your travelogue for my upcoming trip to Shimla.
DigitalDragon is offline   Reply With Quote