Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th December 2007, 18:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks, Just did Chennai-coimbatore-chennai .returned this morning.
Chennai-Krishnagiri-As usual Fantastic.
Krishnagiri- Dharmapuri- very bad.
D.puri-Thoppur- You cannot see a worst road than this now.It is an irony that the union minister for surface transport is from TN.
Thoppur-Mettur- Bad in stretches,potholed.
mettur-ammapettai-athani-Ok,potholed.
athani- sathy- ok.
stahy-cbe- good.
Thanks for that update. With all the rains that TN had a week or so back, it is expected. Coz we had an update 2 weeks back saying the Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur had been patched in places.

Thoppur - Mettur used to be ok. Now that has also gone bad. :-(

Only option is train I guess !!!
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 20:37   #17
BHPian

Hello Pal,

Thanks for the latest update...
Dhanasekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 16:27   #18
BHPian

Any recent travel on mettur - ammapettai- andhiyur- Sathy - CBE ?..
Updates on Road conditions would be useful. will be travelling from Chennai

Bhavani , Perundurai is getting Boring
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 16:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Route remains the same. They have sort of widened the Road from a single carriage to a dual carriage. You could try out Ammapettai - Andhiyur - Athani - Gobichettipalayam - Nambiyur - Pulliyampatti - Coimbatore or Nambiyur - Annur - Coimbatore. This is a far more scenic route and is shorter also though the roads are a little bit winding. Check my Bangalore - Coimbatore thread for full details on this route.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 17:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
BTW, what is wrong with the road between Coimby and Bhavani? Isn't it better to reach Bhavani, then continue to Mettur, Thoppur, Krishnagiri?
Boring, na?

I've seen this board on the Sathy route where it indicates a right turn to Stanley Reservoir, Mettur. Wanted to try it sometime.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 14:39   #21
BHPian

Any update on this route folks? Planning to goto coimbatore this weekend.

Since its monsoon season I want to know about the road condition and any floods?
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 19:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Any update on this route folks? Planning to goto coimbatore this weekend.

Since its monsoon season I want to know about the road condition and any floods?
Did this stretch on the independence day weekend. Roads were good but watchout for the road work on the Krishnagiri-Thopur section.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 10:30   #23
BHPian

Thank you Mission_Safari. How much time it took for you?

2 months back from Tiruppur to Chennai it took me around 9 hours. Started @ 8:00 AM and reached Chennai @ 5:00 PM. Bhavani to Krishnagiri stretch and after Sriperumbudhur the traffic was heavy.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Mission_Safari. How much time it took for you?

2 months back from Tiruppur to Chennai it took me around 9 hours. Started @ 8:00 AM and reached Chennai @ 5:00 PM. Bhavani to Krishnagiri stretch and after Sriperumbudhur the traffic was heavy.
We started at 04:45AM from Mogappair and reached Coimbatore around 3:00PM with three 30 min breaks in between.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 15:26   #25
BHPian

Was on this stretch this weekend for Diwali - was originally planning to take this route:

NH4 - Porur & Poonamallee (get on to NH4) * NH4 - Hyundai, MMST, Sriperumbudur * NH46 - Bypass Vellore * NH46 - Goes through Ambur, bypass Vaniyambadi * NH46 - Bargur * NH46 - Krishnagiri * NH46 - Krishnagiri (take a left onto NH7) * NH7 - Kaveripatnam * NH7 - Dharmapuri * NH7 - Thoppur * SH20 - At Thoppur get onto SH20 to Mecheri * SH20 - Mettur * SH20 - Ammapettai * SH175 - At Ammapettai get onto SH175 to Anthiyur * SH82 - Beyond Anthiyur (Athani ?) get onto SH82 to Sathyamangalam * NH209 - At Sathyamangalam, get onto NH209 to Annur * NH209 - Annur * NH209 - CBE

However, after the rains I wasn't too sure about the condition of the state highways - hence, decided to take the tried & tested route instead:

NH4 - Porur & Poonamallee (get on to NH4) * NH4 - Hyundai, MMST, Sriperumbudur * NH46 - Bypass Vellore * NH46 - Goes through Ambur, bypass Vaniyambadi * NH46 - Bargur * NH46 - Krishnagiri * NH46 - Krishnagiri (take a left onto NH7) * NH7 - Kaveripatnam * NH7 - Dharmapuri * NH7 - Thoppur * NH7 - Salem * NH7 - Turn right towards Erode (Nandi circle) * NH47 - Kumarapalayam * NH47 - Bypass Erode * NH47 - Avinashi * NH47 - CBE

Was surprised to see the 4-laning work that was being carried out on the Krishnagiri-Salem completed. It's not officially done yet - there are frequent diversions from one side to the next, but it's bliss compared to how it was just 6 months ago !

A couple of pics taken on the Kaveripatnam-Krishnagiri stretch, en-route to Chennai.

Chennai to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_0676.jpg

Chennai to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_0675.jpg

From Salem however, things slow down - road conditions aren't that great. It's not that you have a lot of pot-holes & stuff, it's more like broken pavement. If you have a small car with small wheels & if you're running stiffer suspension - you're going to have a rough ride, especially near Erode (SUVs however, wouldn't even break a sweat). Some 4-laning work has been completed though on this stretch, but it's too sparse & too spread-apart right now.

Visibility on the CBE-Salem stretch could be severely hampered during this time of year in the wee hours of the morning.

Chennai to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_0673.jpg
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:39   #26
BHPian

Default Chennai to Tirupur

I don't want to spam so using this thread.

Whenever I go to Tirupur from Chennai, I usually take the following route : Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Tirupur.

1.) I just want to know the road condition of the stretch Thoppur - Omalur - Salem - Bhavani. The 4 lane work is complete now?
2.) Also want to know how the road from Omalur - Sankari as an alternate to Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani route?

Thanks.
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Whenever I go to Tirupur from Chennai, I usually take the following route : Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Tirupur.
1.) I just want to know the road condition of the stretch Thoppur - Omalur - Salem - Bhavani. The 4 lane work is complete now?
Thoppur to Salem has been 4-laned in full, from Salem to Sankagiri it's still the old 2-laned blacktop. Quality of the road surface seems to have improved significantly though. You might face delays due to unfinished roadworks in & around Salem. From Sankagiri its 4-laned all the way to Avinashi, but traffic is still being diverted to one side or the other. Toll is not being collected in this section yet (but saw a toll plaza coming up just beyond Sankagiri).

Quote:
2.) Also want to know how the road from Omalur - Sankari as an alternate to Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani route?
The Mettur route has deteriorated a bit & you're forced to slowdown due to broken up tarmac a few times. Its not all bad though, most of the high-quality surface still remains - this is also the more scenic route

If you're starting from Chennai early & proceeding to Thrippur, its best to stick to the Mettur route as you'll avoid the aggravation of traffic delays in the Salem-Sankagiri section. On the return journey to Chennai, if you're starting early, then you can save quite a bit of time by taking the old Salem route itself.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:03   #28
BHPian

Thanks Srini.
How is the Omalur - Sankari (avoiding Salem) route as an alternate? I want to use GQ to reduce my travel time. As you said in Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani route traffic is increased and because of that the road is not as smooth as it was sometime back. Thats why I'm looking for alternatives.
Old 29th October 2009, 01:17   #29
BHPian

Srini: When you say Mettur route, is it via Bhavani or via Satya? Which is a better route? Do you suggest that the Satya route would be better to avoid the CBE-Avinashi crowd?
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 09:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Srini: When you say Mettur route, is it via Bhavani or via Satya? Which is a better route? Do you suggest that the Satya route would be better to avoid the CBE-Avinashi crowd?
On any day I would prefer the Mettur - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore route as compared to the madness between Avinashi and Coimbatore
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote