Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th December 2009, 13:17   #31
BHPian

Hey guys

Any idea on how is the route between Thoppur - Mettue - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyem - Dharapuram - Udumalpet

Please guide as i'm travelling alone in my INNOVA tonight as no tickets are available.
propeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:39   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
Hey guys

Any idea on how is the route between Thoppur - Mettue - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyem - Dharapuram - Udumalpet

Please guide as i'm travelling alone in my INNOVA tonight as no tickets are available.
I would rather recommend the Salem route instead of Mettur. At night, I guess its better to go on the NH7-NH47.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 12:57   #33
BHPian

Thoppur-Mettur Thermal-Andhiyur-Ammapettai-Athani-Gobi-Tiruppur-Palladam-Udumalai.

I recently did this route. Thoppur till Mettur thermal is slightly patchy but not bad. Single lane road between Andhiyur till Gobi. But need not worry.

Just fill the tank and cruise.

Have a safe journey...
Dhanasekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 09:35   #34
KRN
BHPian

Default Weekend Trip to Mettupalayam

Folks,

I may have to do a trip from Chennai to Mettupalayam this weekend in my Swift P. There is a wealth of information on routes suggested in several threads and so planning to take the following route.

Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur -Mettur - Ammapettai - Andhiyur - Sathyamangalam - Mettupalayam

1. Since Chennai to Krishnagiri is GQ, I presume the roads are very good. Can someone who has done the trip recently comment on the condition of the roads on the rest of the routes?

2. This is my first long highway trip (done only Chennai - Pondy max.) and I am going to be the only driver. Hope this is do-able in 8-9 hours (planning to start from Chennai at 5 AM).

3. Will be traveling with 2 adults and a toddler. So, need some information on good places to have breakfast and lunch, places with clean rest rooms and a good place to tank up

4. I saw a mention of Thoppur Ghats in one of the threads. I have never driven on ghat roads. Can someone comment on how easy/difficult it is to drive in this section.

Appreciate your inputs and help in advance.

Thanks
KRN
KRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

@ KRN - There is nothing to worry about Thoppur Ghats in the true sense of Ghat driving. Its got some winding curves and some car breaking speed breakers. The best thing to do is to maintain a slow speed the moment you cross the L&T Toll bridge. If you start at 5 AM you can reach Krishnagiri at around 9 AM conservatively. You could break there for breakfast at "Hotel Tamil Nadu" which is the TTDC hotel coming on the left before you reach NH46 & NH7 Junction. Or you could continue onwards until Thoppur where you have A2B on the opposite side of the road which is very good as well. After the Thoppur Ghats you would the right marked for Mettur.

From Krishnagiri to Mettur would take you about an a hour and a half maximum depending on traffic, am told the road has developed some pot holes off late hence take care while driving. After crossing Mettur continue onwards towards Bhavani and then when you reach Ammapettai take a right towards Andhiyur & Sathyamangalam. From Mettur you would take not more than three hours to Mettupalayam. The road condition is decent all the way from Ammapettai to Mettupalayam. You could either stop at Sathyamangalam or continue onwards to Mettupalayam and have your lunch at Mettupalayam. Let me know in case you require any other details.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 10:37   #36
BHPian

Hey KRN - The route you have mentioned here and the suggestions from pypkmsrikanth are perfect. From Sathyamangalam, you will come to Annur and take a right to go to Mettupalayam, come straight and you will land up in Coimbatore. Roads coming from Thoppur run through small hamlets and one has to be very careful driving through these section. Folks cross the roads like they are taking a walk from the bedroom to the bathroom, so you need to be extra careful here. "Turn on the pitlane speed limiter" like my wife says. Please mind your speeds here. Travelling during the nighttime is very good to save time, but since this would be your first trip, please do it during the day time (my humble suggestion).

The condition of roads are decent. Please tank up only in the cities. One tankful from Chennai should bring you to Mettupalayam without any hassles, with some fuel to spare. On your way back, you can tank up at the Reliance Bunk at Mettupalayam.

Have a safe one! Enjoy the drive.

TC - Kiran
mechanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanik View Post
Hey KRN - The route you have mentioned here and the suggestions from pypkmsrikanth are perfect. From Sathyamangalam, you will come to Annur and take a right to go to Mettupalayam, come straight and you will land up in Coimbatore.
Don't you think its better to go via Bhavani Sagar - Sirumugai, the road was very good a few months back, rather than go via Annur.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Information provided is correct. The Thoppur Ghat sections have speedbreakers as Srikanth mentioned. However they have been newly laid and are clearly marked. You will encounter 8 sets of speedbreakers. Each set has 2. You actually have boards which say 1/8, 2/8....

Thoppur - Mechari - Mettur is in decent/good condition. You will encounter more traffic during peak hours between Mechari and Mettur. Its downhill most of the way and you can encounter slow moving traffic. Take the Mettur Bypass which is just beyond the MALCO plant on the left.

Mettur - Ammapettai is 20 kms. The first 10 odd kms has excellent roads. After that road conditions deteriorate with potholes on the sides, some of which are big.

Ammapettai - Sathy is 60 kms. Its a breeze to drive but there are lot of small towns. (Andiyur, Athani and assorted small vilages). In Andhiyur, when you hit a junction just after the bus-stand you need to take a left. Ask if you are not sure.

You can go to Mettupalayam either through Annur or you can take the state highway which starts a few kms after Sathy. YOu will see a road marked Sirumugai going towards the right.

Watch out for blind curves and blind drivers on the Sathy - Annur road.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 21:29   #39
KRN
BHPian

Default Thanks!

pypkmsrikanth, mechanik & csentil -

Thanks a lot to all of you for detailed directions and pointers. Appreciate your help! I am looking forward to the trip and will update everyone on the route conditions when back

KRN
Old 17th January 2010, 20:42   #40
KRN
BHPian

Had a great drive to Mettupalayam this weekend. Started from Chennai at 6:20 AM (couldn't start at 5:00 AM as planned) and reached Mettupalayam at 3:20 PM.

Total Time Taken (inclusive of breaks): 9 Hours approx.
Distance: 498 Km

Road Info:
Chennai to Krishnagiri -> Excellent road
Krishnagiri to Thoppur -> Excellent again
Thoppur to Ammapettai -> Road was decent in some stretches, but few stretches have developed pot holes. Had to slow down from time to time
Ammapettai to Andhiyur -> Decent road
Athani to Sathy -> Road again had potholes slowing us down
Sathy to Mettupalayam -> Took the route via Bhavani Sagar/Sirumugai. Was pleasantly surprised as the road was excellent

The best part of taking this route was that traffic was very less and you drive through fields and greenery. Anyone needing more info please feel free to ask

Thanks to all BHPians who helped make this trip a great one for me.
Attached Images

Old 17th January 2010, 21:14   #41
BHPian

We started from Velachery at 5:00 AM on Christmas day and reached Omalur toll at 10:00 AM. Then Kumarapalayam toll at 12:00, just after Avinashi at 12:30 PM. But then after that it was horrible traffic of trucks on traditional 1-up-1-dn lane till the "V" road split - left going to Kerala, right the 6 lane road in to CBE town. That 6 lane road is excellent - 19 km say. Finally at Parsn at 2:15 PM. So this last stretch from Avinashi took 1:30 hrs. We had two - 10min - coffee breaks and a 15 min elaneer break. So all and all 8.5 hrs of driving. I did not take any diversion anywhere. We remember having seen Sankari and Bhavani. So what would have been the route to Sankari from Omalur, NH7 and then NH47? So is there a real benefit with the other route - mettur, gobi, sathy? Traffic wise, road-wise, time-wise, distance-wise, scenery-wise?
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:35   #42
BHPian

Smile Pongal update

Drove down to CBE on the 14th & back (on the 17th) for Pongal - started at 5:30AM at Kilpauk & was in Ganapathy at 2:00 PM. This includes a 45-minute break at A2B on the Dharmapuri-Thoppur stretch.

The good news is that 4-laning between Salem & Sankagiri is almost complete (it wasn't when I drove down last for Diwali), from the Nandi-Ghee roundabout at Salem, you'll have to endure the old 2-laned road for only 4 Kms, beyond that it's 4-laned heaven all the way to Avinashi (actually 10 Kms before Avinashi) .

The bad news is that the Avinashi-CBE road is still 2-laned. That said, it looked as though its been relaid & widened at places. Thankfully, since I was driving on a major holiday, the road was almost deserted - did the Avinashi-CBE route in less than 30 mins

The best part of the trip was that I was able to drive at a very sane pace throughout & did not have to speed up at any point to make up time - a very good drive overall.

Last edited by im_srini : 18th January 2010 at 11:36.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 19:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

That's good news if Salem - Avinashi is done. The biggest irritant is from Avinashi. If you are stuck on it during the peak hours, its hell. Actually anyone going down to the other side of Coimbatore can take the right at Avinashi and head towards Annur. Its quicker.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:49   #44
BHPian

Default Coimbatore-Chennai

Hi Guys,
Updates on Coimbatore to Chennai routes. Any recomendations, advice, suggestions are welcome.
I would prefer the new 4 lane route with toll gates enroute. Is this all the way up to Chennai?
Its almost 10 years since I have driven in to Chennai. Understand Chennai has undergone a sea change.
I am visiting India on short visit & I need to do this trip by road due various reasons. I have alredy done some home work & would like to know from frequent roadsters!
thanks in adavance
Velu

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th December 2010 at 18:15. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Velmurugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 19:30   #45
BHPian

Default re: Chennai to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Yes 4 lane would be the right choice. The road from Coimbatore till 10 -15 kms after Avinashi is not fourlaned and in process of being completed. Take it easy on this stretch.
Once you cross this stretch you will have four lanes all the way till Chennai. A few suggestions from my side.

1. Try to start early. You will cover more distance in less time that way.
2. Be aware of morons (read 2 wheelers) in your fast lane.
3. Slow down when taking the ramp down from Salem flyover.
4. There is a ghat section on Thoppur has steep gradient and sharp curves, with not so great (uneven roads) Slow down here. The opposite lane has 10 speed breakers. Be aware while coming from Chennai.
5. You would need to take a right below the flyover at Krishnagiri for the road to chennai.
6. The stretch between Vaniyambadi toll and Pallikonda toll has sharp turns even on flyover. Take these turns at speeds below 90 kmph.
7. Once you reach Poonamallee, you can either proceed to take the Chennai bye-pass for localities in South Chennai (GST Road near Tambaram) or North Western Chennai (Red Hills, Ambattur), continue straight on Poonamallee High road for CBD, Koyambedu, Anna Nagar or take the Porur road for Guindy, Porur, Adyar.
8. Eating places on Highway: A2B after Thoppur on your left, Chola the Restaurant (I have had only breakfast here) just after Vaniyambadi toll on your left, Arya Vilas in Vellore (for their coffee) or Vellore Saravana Bhavan (need to go inside the city; next to CMC on Arcot Road)

Last edited by DWind : 28th December 2010 at 19:34.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote