Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th August 2011, 01:14   #61
BHPian

Default re: Chennai to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Ampere

Any idea on the Trichy road. Also having second thoughts to drive to Trichy and then to tambaram.
@ampere has already answered, not worth it.

Which part of CBE are you leaving from?

If you are closer to Trichy road, then take the Sulur-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai to join NH7.

If you are closer to Avinashi road, then take the Annur turn-off from the Airport signal to Kalapatti-Annur-Avinashi to join back on NH7 at Avinashi.

If you are near Sathy road, then proceed to Annur-Avinashi or Annur-Sathy-Gobi-Appakoodal-Bhavani or Annur-Sathy-Gobi-Chithode to join back on NH7.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

I need to do a trip to Coimbatore this weekend. I will be starting from Tambaram and reach Gandhipuram in Coimbatore. Given the construction roads between ulundurpet-Salem and Chengapalli-Coimbatore, I have 5 options.

Tambaram-Maduravoyal-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Avanashi-Coimbatore

Tambaram-Maduravoyal-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mettur-Sathy-Coimbatore

Tambaram-Maduravoyal-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Bhavani-Gopi-Sathy-Coimbatore

Tambaram-Perambalur-Thuraiyur-Namakkal-Karur-Coimbatore

Tambaram-Ulundurpet-Attur-Rasipuram-Namakkal-Karur-Coimbatore

I have done first 4 options, and I feel option 2 and 4 are better for me. How about the last option? Does anyone recently done Attur-Rasipuram section and know the condition of the roads? I know that Ulundurpet-Attur is 90% complete and I am happy with it.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 23:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

No replies.

There are no recent takers for the Attur-Rasipuram section? I hope the route will be decent. I am going to drive this section this weekend.
Old 9th December 2011, 00:35   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
No replies.

There are no recent takers for the Attur-Rasipuram section? I hope the route will be decent. I am going to drive this section this weekend.
On the route via Salem, you know best! (I would still vote for Vellore/Krishnagiri)

But for the rest, I would suggest route till Avinashi and then divert to Annur and come to Gandhipuram via NH209.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 14:02   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On the route via Salem, you know best! (I would still vote for Vellore/Krishnagiri)

But for the rest, I would suggest route till Avinashi and then divert to Annur and come to Gandhipuram via NH209.
Yeh. I know the routes .

I was planning to do this route,
Tambaram-Ulundurpet-Attur-Rasipuram-Karur-Palladam-Coimbatore.

I know about the road conditions at most of the section. What I haven't tried yet is the route from Attur-Rasipuram. Let me try this out this weekend .
Old 12th December 2011, 00:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

I drove to Coimbatore and back to Chennai on the route Tambaram-Ulundurpet-Attur-Rasipuram-Karur-Coimbatore. The approximate distance for one way is around 525 Kms. The entire route is very good. Chennai-Ulundurpet section is known to all. Ulundurpet-Attur section has become more drivable. The roads are 95% complete and I didn't see any deviations. One negative side for this route is there are lot of sections which are 2 laned. I don't know if they are planning to convert that to 4 Lane. Kallakurichi bypass is also opened.

Attur-Rasipuram road is very decent and my speed ranged from 80-100 KMPH. Rasipuram-Karur is a 4 laned road. And Karur-Coimbatore is an excellent 2 Laned highway.

Another advantage of this route is that of very less tolls. I paid toll at Chengleput, Dindivanam, Vikravandi, Ulundurpet, and Namakkal.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I'll be travelling to my home town (Palladam-Coimbatore) by 2nd March. My regular route is Guduvanchery-Sriperumbudur-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam.

Travelling from South chennai (Guduvanchery) to sriperumbudur is a pain on weekends and this time I'm planning to take alternate route
Guduvanchery-Vilupuram-Ulundhurpet-Aatur-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam.
I'm familiar till Ulundhurpet and from Salem to Palladam. How about the road condition from Ulundhurpet to Salem?
Please do suggest any other alternate route if available. I dont mind paying Tolls, all I need is a comfort drive.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 07:44   #68
BHPian

Planning Coimbatore to Chennai trip through Sathy, Ammapettai, Mettur, Thoppur, Kishnagiri section.
Any recent updates on the current road conditions will be very helpful, so also any other suggestions for alternatives for good roads.
Thanks in advance.
Habanero City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 08:24   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City
Planning Coimbatore to Chennai trip through Sathy, Ammapettai, Mettur, Thoppur, Kishnagiri section.
Do you really feel the need to take the Mettur route? Because its not worth it compared to four lane.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:46   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you really feel the need to take the Mettur route? Because its not worth it compared to four lane.
Since Coimbatore-Avinashi road has several diversions with bad roads due to bridge construction, I wanted to avoid the NH at least until perundurai.
I am also considering Coimbatore-Kangayem-Erode-Bhavani/Chithode to join back NH to reach Salem.
What do you suggest?
Old 8th May 2012, 12:08   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since Coimbatore-Avinashi road has several diversions with bad roads due to bridge construction, I wanted to avoid the NH at least until perundurai.
I am also considering Coimbatore-Kangayem-Erode-Bhavani/Chithode to join back NH to reach Salem.
What do you suggest?
If you plan to take south of GQ then you should do Sulur- Palladam - Kangeyam - Perundurai and join back. No point going all the way to Erode.

Otherwise I think Annur Avinashi should be a decent option. There was quite a lot of discussion on the north CBE Avinashi route choices in the Bangalore-CBE thread. You should be able to find more details there. In my opinion only because of Avinashi it does not make sense to go via Mettur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 17:41   #72
BHPian

Thanks for the tips ampere, do you know up to where (Avinashi or Perundurai) the roads are bad due to diversion.
I know for sure that up to Avinashi they are bad, but not sure beyond that.
If it is up to Avinashi then I would take Coimbatore-Annur-Avinashi-Salem.
I would be leaving tomorrow morning and so urgent response from anyone will be of great help.
Thanks.
Old 8th May 2012, 20:29   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Thanks for the tips ampere, do you know up to where (Avinashi or Perundurai) the roads are bad due to diversion.
I would be leaving tomorrow morning and so urgent response from anyone will be of great help.
Thanks.
Avinashi-Chengapalli stretch of road widening is in decent shape so you shouldn't have any trouble once you join in to Avinashi from Annur.

Alternatively, you can consider this -
Cbe - Sathy - Anthiyur - Ammapettai - Mettur - Mecheri - Thoppur
as shown in the link below Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu to Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
This is about 25kms shorter than the Annur-Avinashi-NH45 route and the roads are good except near Ammapettai. Flipside - you have to go through all the towns mentioned above and hence will lose time.

I believe the standard NH route through Avinashi is decent enough to travel as reported in this thread recently - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...update-33.html
If so, then this route is the one to take as you'll make up all the time lost once you hit the 4 lane at Chengapalli.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 21:22   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks.
As luvuride mentioned Annur Avinashi should be fine. The road widening work is till Chengapally. You should be on to four lane in quick time.

Last edited by ampere : 8th May 2012 at 21:23.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:58   #75
BHPian

Thanks to ampere and luvurride.
Finally I took Coimbatore-Palladam-Kangeyam-Chennimalai-Perundurai-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai route without any incidents.
Could reach Salem in about 2.5 hours, the roads were good with little traffic.
Going from Salem, the Thoppur section does not have speed breakers, but the roads have badly deformed due to melting and constant flow of heavy vehicle traffic.
Krishnagiri-Vellore section has several small diversion where bridge works for local traffic is being done and some sections of the roads being relaid.
Some of these diversion appear without notice and have to quickly slow down.
Using this route I guess the travel time could be around 7.5 to 8 hours with sedate drive speeds.

Last edited by Habanero City : 10th May 2012 at 12:00.