Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th June 2016, 20:36   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm295 View Post
Today I travelled from Chennai to Coimbatore via Krishnagiri. The roads up to Sriperumbudur were with patch works & few potholes but after that the road are just excellent. It's six lane till Krishnagiri & from there on four lane up to Avinashi & again six lane till coimbatore.
That good to know. I will be driving from Vellore to Coimbatore in a couple of weeks and this is the route I will take. I have driven till Salem in September 2015 which was before the floods in December, but it looks like the roads haven't been affected.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 23:18   #107
BHPian

I'm planning a road-trip from Chennai to Coimbatore and from all the posts in this thread and also in thread Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem Route Queries (Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries), I understand that the best route would be Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore.

My parents suggest that we split the journey into two (not exactly halves) with a overnight stay in one of the towns en-route. My plan is to start from Chennai by around 4pm and drive for a max of 4 hours - which makes Ulundurpet, a practical option for stop-over.

Suggestions needed on
- Given that I'm planning to stop for an overnight stay, would this be the best route for my plan?
- Any other ideas/views on my plan? Any way that I can improvise?
- Any hotel options? I don't want a plush hotel. However, since I would be travelling with my parents, wife and 3-year son, safety & basic convenience would be my priority.

Also, a similar ask for my return leg as well. If I start from Coimbatore by 4pm, what would be my options?

TIA!!

Last edited by callvvijay : 24th July 2016 at 23:20.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 16:43   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I'm planning a road-trip from Chennai to Coimbatore and from all the posts in this thread and also in thread Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem Route Queries (Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries), I understand that the best route would be Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore.

Suggestions needed on
- Given that I'm planning to stop for an overnight stay, would this be the best route for my plan?
- Any other ideas/views on my plan? Any way that I can improvise?
- Any hotel options? I don't want a plush hotel. However, since I would be travelling with my parents, wife and 3-year son, safety & basic convenience would be my priority.

Also, a similar ask for my return leg as well. If I start from Coimbatore by 4pm, what would be my options?
You may find hotels albeit with some difficulty in Ulunderpet but after that you may not find any decent hotels in the SH till you reach Salem (anyway you will bypass Salem Town).

Better idea would be to start in the morning and complete the 510 km in one shot. Break for lunch near Ulunderpet - a Sangeetha hotel. You can drive at a leisurely pace and still reach well before night fall. I usually start by 9 and reach CBE by 4 pm.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 17:09   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My parents suggest that we split the journey into two (not exactly halves) with a overnight stay in one of the towns en-route. My plan is to start from Chennai by around 4pm and drive for a max of 4 hours - which makes Ulundurpet, a practical option for stop-over.
Any reasons why a break? An early start from Chennai means about 6-7 hours to Salem and another 2 / 2.5 including breaks.

The roads are full 4-lane (baring some sections between Ulundurpet-Salem; but they are good 2-lanes) and hence easy to drive through.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 18:26   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What Prowler says would be the best to do. Start in morning and reach CBE in early/late afternoon. If you have to start in the afternoon, I'd suggest to leave early like 1400-1500 to beat the GST traffic till Chengapattu and do CBE in one shot. You'd probably reach around 2200.

1600 start would mean about 1730-1800 time at Paranur, approximately 2000 ish Ulundurpet, 2230ish at Salem. The Paranur time would be closer 60-75 min if you leave early. So If you are really intending on a late start, you can target Salem.

It still makes no sense to make the return a 2 stopper. You'll make better progress on the return with the late afternoon start time and enter Madras at a less traffic time. Infact >2200 hrs Madras entries is my standard strategy for my return trips, the Paranur-Home travel times are more to tune of 35-45 min past that hour.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 14:49   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Better idea would be to start in the morning and complete the 510 km in one shot. Break for lunch near Ulunderpet - a Sangeetha hotel. You can drive at a leisurely pace and still reach well before night fall. I usually start by 9 and reach CBE by 4 pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any reasons why a break? An early start from Chennai means about 6-7 hours to Salem and another 2 / 2.5 including breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What Prowler says would be the best to do. Start in morning and reach CBE in early/late afternoon.
Thanks for your suggestions.

I too would wish to do the stretch in one-single shot. However, since parents cannot sit continuously for ~8-9 hours (even with the breaks in between), they prefer to split the journey. That is the reason behind my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I'd suggest to leave early like 1400-1500 to beat the GST traffic till Chengapattu and do CBE in one shot. You'd probably reach around 2200.

1600 start would mean about 1730-1800 time at Paranur, approximately 2000 ish Ulundurpet, 2230ish at Salem. The Paranur time would be closer 60-75 min if you leave early. So If you are really intending on a late start, you can target Salem.
I understand your point on the traffic till Chengalpet. Will try to make the start at least an hour earlier.

Cheers!
Old 26th July 2016, 15:46   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Please start by 2 pm from Chennai to beat Tambaram through Chengalpet traffic. Ulundurpet turn to Salem is only around 200 km from Chennai Anna Arch and hence, if you are comfortable doing 80 km per hour, you can reach Salem outer by 7.00 pm. Early bed and an early start at around 4 am from Salem may take you to Coimbatore by around 6.30 am. However, I don't think the same plan will hold good for your return trip. Probably, you may have to consider Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai for your return trip with a stop over at Krishnagiri. However, for accommodation, you may have to get into Krishnagiri town! By the way, what are your exact start and end points?
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 16:38   #113
h14
BHPian

I would recommend taking OMR-Thiruporur-Chengalpet and then reach the NH. I usually start from Shollinganallur via Thiruporur-Chengalpet and you can easily cross chengalpet in 60mins from sholi. This alternate is to avoid the traffic on the GST (Tambaram, Vandalur are all skipped).

On stay options, there is one relatively new hotel adjacent to the Ulundurpet toll. When travelling from chennai, cross the Ulundurpet toll and this hotel is immediately on the left. I guess the name is Prasanna (not very sure), but the restaurant and building looked neat and clean from the outside and they do have rooms.

Another option would be 'Chennai' Woodlands next to A2B in Ulundurpet which will be on the right side of the road.

There is also TTDC in Ulundurpet, which you need to deviate slightly off the highway.

Even on your return trip, you can plan Ulundurpet itself. Coimbatore to Ulundurpet I usually do under 3 and a half hours.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 16:42   #114
BHPian

Quote:

You have couple of options at Kallakurichi. MS Residency and Hotel SR Park. Never stayed here, just seen them on the way.
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 18:51   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Please start by 2 pm from Chennai to beat Tambaram through Chengalpet traffic. Ulundurpet turn to Salem is only around 200 km from Chennai Anna Arch and hence, if you are comfortable doing 80 km per hour, you can reach Salem outer by 7.00 pm.
-------------
return trip with a stop over at Krishnagiri. However, for accommodation, you may have to get into Krishnagiri town! By the way, what are your exact start and end points?
Thank you, Gokrish!!
Onward: My starting point is Nanganallur and end point is Isha Yoga Center, Coimbatore
Return: Coimbatore (not sure where :P) back to Nanganallur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
I would recommend taking OMR-Thiruporur-Chengalpet and then reach the NH.
I guess the name is Prasanna (not very sure), but the restaurant and building looked neat and clean from the outside and they do have rooms.

'Chennai' Woodlands next to A2B in Ulundurpet

There is also TTDC in Ulundurpet,

Even on your return trip, you can plan Ulundurpet itself. Coimbatore to Ulundurpet I usually do under 3 and a half hours.
Thanks for providing stay-options.
My residence is very close to the T.G.Nagar Subway and I can reach the GST road in 3-4minutes flat. So, taking the OMR route will be circuitous for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
You have couple of options at Kallakurichi. MS Residency and Hotel SR Park. Never stayed here, just seen them on the way.
Thanks!! Bang on.. The same hotels that I was also looking at. If, for some reason, I'm not able make an early start, Kallakurichi seems to be a good option.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:06   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Gokrish!!
Onward: My starting point is Nanganallur and end point is Isha Yoga Center, Coimbatore
Return: Coimbatore (not sure where :P) back to Nanganallur.
Isha Yoga center near Vellingiri hills is another 30km from the city and you may have to factor some more time for wading though city traffic in Coimbatore! So, better option for break in journey would be closer to Salem, like Attur. And an early start in the morning from this place would help stay clear of the morning traffic in coimbatore.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 15:31   #117
BHPian

I have to travel from Coimbatore to Chennai, Anna Nagar; I see most suggestions here Salem - Ulundurpet - Tambaram - Chennai. Google map shows Salem - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai route also which is about 16 km more. My question is won't it be better to choose latter route considering Anna Nagar destination is closer to Bangalore highway? Any other view points, most welcome! Thanks and cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 15:40   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
I have to travel from Coimbatore to Chennai, Anna Nagar; I see most suggestions here Salem - Ulundurpet - Tambaram - Chennai. Google map shows Salem - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai route also which is about 16 km more. My question is won't it be better to choose latter route considering Anna Nagar destination is closer to Bangalore highway? Any other view points, most welcome! Thanks and cheers
Agree with that since Anna Nagar is closer to Bangalore highway, its much better to take the Krishnagiri option. I guess the only point is consider is bad traffic and bad roads post Arcot. But otherwise it should be OK.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote