Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th June 2007, 11:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I have taken this route while driving from M'lore to Pune about 6 months back. Between Ankola and Hubli, the roads have been absolutely murdered by the mining trucks from Bellary.. God knows what is their state now that the moonsoon has started.
Even I too heard that the state of the Ankola road is not as expected...it has deteorated a lot....It was one of the best and fast ghat roads but unfortunately dying a silent death...hope the Karnataka govt looks into it...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 11:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
some clarification on this section please, planning to drive down to kerala on sunday.

you have to take right when you are coming from bangalore after the thoppur ghat section right? and then on any other turns, junctions to watch out for??

i know the salem route so i rip, in this case anything in particular that i need to be cautious off, speed breakers, pot hole sections ,dangerous twisties ???

whats the option for break fast in between? (need decent place where family can use the loo also) usually i have my breakfast at salem, when i start by around 540 am from bangalore?
Immediately after you come down the ghat is Toppur - you will see a few petrol pumps. This is where you turn off right - sign will display Mecheri/Bhavani. After that, there are no turns - keep going on teh same road, you will cross the River Cauvery over the Mettur Dam. You have to travel through Bhavani town, at the south end of which you will join NH47 towards Erode/Perundurai/Coimbatore.

Toppur-Bhavani road is a state highway, lots of small villages, not high speed, but good condition and you can maintain good cruising speeds.

Kumar
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 11:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Steer, next time you stay over at Sawantwadi, try Balkrishna colddrinks for their delicious ICE-cream cocktail (home made stuff).
I tried that, I bought the round playing cards (I forget the name - starts with a 'G' EDIT: GANJIFA!) and had fantastic sole chi khadi at the one good restaurant in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Why is it that you signed off as Steer?
Because that was Steer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Steer what are you doing in Delhi?
You mean whats the other guy doing in Cochin?

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th June 2007 at 11:54.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 12:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

If you are taking NH17, better do the stretch from Kasargod to Kundapur before the public transpots starts off. this stretch in early hours is doable in less then 2hours.

As "akroy" mentioned the buses create havoc, had a tuff time dealing with these senseless drivers a month back.
lohithrao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 12:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfanmon View Post
Hi all,this is my first post on team bhp
hi there..... at laaaaaast you posted eh??!!! ugh!! great start dude! Still waiting to see you with us for outstation meets!!
good going!!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 12:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
some clarification on this section please, planning to drive down to kerala on sunday.

you have to take right when you are coming from bangalore after the thoppur ghat section right? and then on any other turns, junctions to watch out for??

i know the salem route so i rip, in this case anything in particular that i need to be cautious off, speed breakers, pot hole sections ,dangerous twisties ???

whats the option for break fast in between? (need decent place where family can use the loo also) usually i have my breakfast at salem, when i start by around 540 am from bangalore?
Jaggu, Immediately after Thoppur ghat, in another 2 km there is right turn (clearly marked on NH7, right turn Mettur), excellent road, you can bypass Mettur by taking a left turn immediately after an aluminium plant on the right in Mettur or u can also go straight through the ghat road and on the dam and proceed... either way no problems in terms of time... there is also a icecream joint immediately on entering Mettur which jkdas/sankar enjoyed in their bike trip...dont know whether it will be open in the morning

For breakfast, I suggest Saravana Bhavan in Bhavani...on entering Bhavani, it is on your left...it comes early immediately after entering Bhavani from bangalore/Mettur side....

From there to hit NH47 is pretty straight forward, ask anybody for coimbatore road they will tell u...

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 15th June 2007 at 12:20.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 12:51   #22
BANNED

Mone Irfaane! Nice to see you getting active @ team-BHP!
We still want to get a nice Introduction thread from you.

BTW, I would suggest you take NH17 route. Leave from Cochin and drive straight to Mangalore. You know where to sleep there. LOL! Or try and reach Bhatkal or a bit more further.
Next day, start off a bit late. Yes, I know you won't wake up early after long drive and that too just weeks after your marriage! Carry on to Pune via Ankola.

I will be glad to join this drive. May I?
Huh, Lose it! I am coming!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 15:04   #23
Team-BHP Support

thanks kumar and roy, made my life easier... will post up experience once i am back
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote