Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 14:44   #166
BHPian
 
buvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore ,Working in Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Need inputs for day 6,7 & 8

DaiusPitar

Thanks for your detailed inputs.

For your reference, I left Mangalore 11ish and reached Margao around 8 pm in my Safari with a leisurely lunch break around Murudeshwar and a detour into Gokarna. My suggestion, leave Udupi early so that you can enjoy the ride as well as rest well at Karwar before entering Goa the next day. But as i said take a reality check around Gokarna, just in case.

I think its still doable right.We are planning to start early every morning so it shouldnt be a problem. lets see how it goes. But normally how long will this take to reach karwar if we skip Gokarna, spend 2 hours in murudeshwar for lunch and relax(speed 80kms/hr not sure about the traffic though).

Any inputs for Day 6, 7 ?????
Also please let me know whether the distance mentioned in S.no 4 and 5 (Day 2) is right or not?
Attached is the revised plan
Attached Images
 
buvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 12:57   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
DaiusPitar

Thanks for your detailed inputs.

For your reference, I left Mangalore 11ish and reached Margao around 8 pm in my Safari with a leisurely lunch break around Murudeshwar and a detour into Gokarna. My suggestion, leave Udupi early so that you can enjoy the ride as well as rest well at Karwar before entering Goa the next day. But as i said take a reality check around Gokarna, just in case.

I think its still doable right.We are planning to start early every morning so it shouldnt be a problem. lets see how it goes. But normally how long will this take to reach karwar if we skip Gokarna, spend 2 hours in murudeshwar for lunch and relax(speed 80kms/hr not sure about the traffic though).

Any inputs for Day 6, 7 ?????
Also please let me know whether the distance mentioned in S.no 4 and 5 (Day 2) is right or not?
Attached is the revised plan
Dear Buvan,
Drove down this moonscape(I refuse to call it an NH) 15 days ago, Udipi-Bhatkal is bad, and also near Ankola,after the junction of NH-63 it is comfortable.Driving time From Udipi to Karwar min. 4hrs+stops.
devoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:51   #168
BHPian
 
buvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore ,Working in Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoo View Post
Dear Buvan,
Drove down this moonscape(I refuse to call it an NH) 15 days ago, Udipi-Bhatkal is bad, and also near Ankola,after the junction of NH-63 it is comfortable.Driving time From Udipi to Karwar min. 4hrs+stops.
hi devoo

thanks for the info. I am thinking of taking Agumbe->shimoga->badra->honavar->karwar route. Though the distance is more i am expecting it to be a scenic drive. Any idea how much time this 350 kms stretch will take? hows the road condition?
buvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 23:32   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: thane
Posts: 281
Thanked: 15 Times
Default hi

agumbe to shimoga will take around 4 hrs.after agumbe roads are good till the last 10 kms into shimoga where you will struggle.

i last did the stretch on 29 aug and did it in 4 hrs in honda city gxi

road from jogfalls to gersoppa is pretty bad but doable oi had done this stretch on the incoming journey from sirsi jogfalls to murudeshwar.

at present your route seem to be the most logical to overcome the nh17 nightmare.

the only good section on nh 17 is the last 10 kms into baindur.
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 11:42   #170
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Buvan,

I had travelled to Jog Falls, Murudeshwar from Bangalore last month. Based on my experience I would suggest you to go to Kollur via Shimoga. You can go towards Shimoga from Shravanabelagola via Channarayapatna. From Shimoga you can reach Kollur via Thirthahalli. The roads are good in some stretches and bad in some but on the whole mangeable. Importantly you will enjoy the scenic beauty along the route beyond Shimoga.
NH-17 is also very bad in some stretches.
Take care and enjoy.
Madan Gopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 11:55   #171
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
. I am thinking of taking Agumbe->shimoga->badra->honavar->karwar route.
If you wanna visit Bhadra then take the above route, else
Instead the route should be Agumbe - Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
agumbe to shimoga will take around 4 hrs.after agumbe roads are good till the last 10 kms into shimoga where you will struggle.
4 hrs to cover 90kms, thats very slow indeed.
I agree 10-15kms before shimoga is in slight bad shape, but the distance can be easily covered in 2hrs time
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 12:19   #172
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
If you wanna visit Bhadra then take the above route, else
Instead the route should be Agumbe - Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavar.
Instead of going all the way to Shimoga, he can take Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar. It will save a lot of distance and time also. This road was good enough when I traveled there about 5 months back.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 16:32   #173
BHPian
 
asethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 40 Times
Default NH-17 road condition?

Hello folks! Something going on in the back of my mind for sometime now, a coastal Karnataka trip! So just wanted to know the current status of NH-17, from Karwar to Mangalore, especially post floods. I've a Swift, and are the road conditions good enough for a Swift to take a plunge?

Waiting for your responses! Thanks!
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 20:10   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

You can go head, Roads are not great but managable. Expect lot of dust and hot weather. There are more good and less bad patches! Enjoy your trip

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 20:24   #175
BHPian
 
buvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore ,Working in Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

How about the route from Agumbe to karwar via Shimoga. I chose this route thinking that Agumbe to karwar via udupi wont be much interesting as that of via shimoga.

Please throw me some light on this. Me and my friends are going to do this route in december in our bikes(Thunderbird twinspark,Karizma R and Bullet 500).

Its actually a 11/12 day bike trip.
1) Blr-ooty(stay)
2) Ooty- Mysore-hassan(stay)
3) hassan-chikmagalur-Mullaingiri-belur-halebid-sringeri-agumbe(halt)
4) Agumbe-shimoga-karwar(halt)
5)Karwar-goa(halt)
6)Goa
7)Goa-Om beach-murudeshvar-udupi/mangalore
8)udupi/mangalore-chalakudi(kerala)
9)Chalakudi-athirapalli-valapari(halt)
10)Valparai-Coimbatore(halt)
11) 1 buffer day
12)Coimbatore -Bangalore

Inputs on other roots are also welcome
buvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 21:59   #176
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 431 Times
Default

would suggest anybody planning to use the nh17 to be very cautious. there is practically no road in between udupi and byndoor. the roadds in between mangalore and udupi has some good patches near surathkal and rest of it is pretty much horrible. would suggest to stay away or use the state highways instead.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 23:13   #177
BHPian
 
asethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
would suggest anybody planning to use the nh17 to be very cautious. there is practically no road in between udupi and byndoor. the roadds in between mangalore and udupi has some good patches near surathkal and rest of it is pretty much horrible. would suggest to stay away or use the state highways instead.
I was actually planning this trip to get a chance to drive on NH17, but since this doesn't seem to be in good condition at present, I feel it's better to postpone the trip than using the state highways!
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 21:20   #178
BHPian
 
maximus.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Coastal Karnataka National Highways: Monsoon Roads

Hi, Can anyone provide an update on the road conditions between Udupi to Karwar, planning to travel from Bangalore via Udupi next month.Any update will be appreciated.
maximus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 17:03   #179
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Coastal Karnataka National Highways: Monsoon Roads

Waking up a sleeping thread, can any one suggest some places to stay in Ankola? and how are the beaches there? Not looking to visit Gokarna or Kumta.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 12:49   #180
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Coastal Karnataka National Highways: Monsoon Roads

Hi. Am planning to drive on the NH-17 in Feb. Will the roads be in a good condition?
callmetarantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300 procrj Travelogues 44 3rd August 2016 23:12
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon KishoreC Travelogues 51 26th November 2009 12:26
National Highways on National Holidays Bubby Route / Travel Queries 17 13th August 2009 22:16
Reclaiming coastal karnataka with a lot of thad bhud roads.. praJEEP Travelogues 28 23rd January 2008 15:31
Weekend Travelogue: Coastal Karnataka akroy Travelogues 15 27th August 2006 18:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks