Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 17:12   #196
BHPian
 
sajusherief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 73 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive from Trivandrum to Bangalore on 17 Jun via Tenkasi-Madurai route.

Hi, I would like to know whether you took this route. If yes, how's the road condition for polo (read low ground clearance) ? Would like to try it for the scenic beauty it offers.
sajusherief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 22:01   #197
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 103
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

I haven't taken this route since the rains began but I understand that the road is damaged by the monsoon as far as Thenmala, possibly the whole ghat section. Once you're into Tamil Nadu its smooth going all the way.
gkrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 23:17   #198
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

I would say stay away and take the regular Nagakoil/Madurai option. Quite a lot of damage on this stretch from TVM to Thenmala via Palode.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 17:00   #199
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
I haven't taken this route since the rains began but I understand that the road is damaged by the monsoon as far as Thenmala, possibly the whole ghat section. Once you're into Tamil Nadu its smooth going all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say stay away and take the regular Nagakoil/Madurai option. Quite a lot of damage on this stretch from TVM to Thenmala via Palode.

Planning to do a Bangalore -TVM in the 2nd week of Aug. Would like to try different route other than the usual Nagercoil one. Had tried Theni route once.

Heard of the Tenkasi route and saw he comments from gkrishk and ampere on the current road conditions via palode. Any idea on these 2 options -

1. Via Madurai - Tenkashi - Punalur - Kottakara
https://www.google.co.in/maps/ms?msi...1964208c&msa=0

2. Via Madurai - tenkasi - kulathupuzha - anchal
https://www.google.co.in/maps/ms?msi...e21fbe5a&msa=0

Also depending on some situations, my starting time from bangalore could be as late as 10-11am. Which means I might be reaching thenmala area around 4-5pm or later as per my guess. With a 3yr old kid, safety also needs to be taken care off. Beyond Punalur, I am not worried since I have driven Punalur-Kottakara-TVM a lot of times.

So would one of the above be a good route to take now.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 21:16   #200
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
So would one of the above be a good route to take now.
Any specific reason why you would like to take these interior roads?
You also mention about being late. In that case 4-lane makes more sense.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 23:05   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 103
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Any specific reason why you would like to take these interior roads?
Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208. This is a more scenic road than the former which runs through an arid part of Tamil Nadu. It is also shorter.
NH208 climbs up the Western Ghats and climbs down the other side. In the hills it runs through forests and alongside a river for a few km, and along a disused railway track with a spectacular curved arch bridge:

Name:  IMG_0113.JPG
Views: 4311
Size:  102.1 KB


There are other attractions along this road: the Palaruvi waterfall, Thenmala dam and ecotourist site, abandoned train stations etc.. See
thread by mysticeyes - [url="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/109923-revisiting-evergreen-route-experiences-along-trivandrum-shenkottai-road.html?highlight=thenmala"[/URL]
gkrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 23:20   #202
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208. This is a more scenic road than the former which runs through an arid part of Tamil Nadu. It is also shorter.
NH208 climbs up the Western Ghats and climbs down the other side. In the hills it runs through forests and alongside a river for a few km, and along a disused railway track with a spectacular curved arch bridge:
I am totally aware of what you mention. I really like these places as well. I just wanted to understand, if he was looking at a quick commute or he really wants to see these places. Because these it would may be a deluge in these sectors. (May you can add these details as I dont know how is the situation now).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 10:45   #203
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any specific reason why you would like to take these interior roads?
You also mention about being late. In that case 4-lane makes more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208. This is a more scenic road than the former which runs through an arid part of Tamil Nadu. It is also shorter.
NH208 climbs up the Western Ghats and climbs down the other side.
No specific reason Ampere. Read about this route in Tbhp. As I mentioned earlier I had tried the theni route once while travelling to changnacherry. It was ultimate scenic but really time consuming. And being evening peak time the drive from Kumily to changnacherry was also really tiring.

I love such long drives to be a balance between time taken and being scenic. Not mind taking an extra 2-3 hrs provided
- the roads are not damaged for really long stretches
- not too much traffic blocks
- can maintain fairly good speeds (atleast 70-100kph) most of the time

I would prefer the nagarcoil route any day except for the traffic jam and delay in the neyatinkara-balaramapuram stretch. When you know the destination is just 30-40 kms away and then it takes 2hrs to cover this distance is really frustrating.

gkrishk, I loved your snaps. The route looks really scenic. And the roads also looks great. Hope its not too bad after the rains. I am a little confused when you mentioned "Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208." Both the google map routes I had shared takes the NH208. So is it the same or is there any other route. If it is different could you send the google map link for this. By the way, are there any good hotels on this stretch.

So my final decision on this route would depend mainly on the road conditions. Any recent updates post the rains.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 11:05   #204
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,547
Thanked: 5,815 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

fundagenie,

given that you might reach Tenkashi later than 5PM, I'd suggest a no, not because the route is not doable but because there are some deviations you can take based on where you want to reach in Trivandrum. If you are looking to reach the Peroorkada side or the Kesavadasapuram side. Also this route is dark, pot holes exists, and is quite deserted at some locations.

This is my preferred route for the exact reason you mentioned about getting stuck in traffic when you have just 30Kms to go. But then I normally drive through the night and I am at Tenkashi around 6AM.

If you have clear 2 hours to pass by this route with sunlight I would advise to take this route.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 11:42   #205
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
fundagenie,

given that you might reach Tenkashi later than 5PM, I'd suggest a no, not because the route is not doable but because there are some deviations you can take based on where you want to reach in Trivandrum. If you are looking to reach the Peroorkada side or the Kesavadasapuram side. Also this route is dark, pot holes exists, and is quite deserted at some locations.

This is my preferred route for the exact reason you mentioned about getting stuck in traffic when you have just 30Kms to go. But then I normally drive through the night and I am at Tenkashi around 6AM.

If you have clear 2 hours to pass by this route with sunlight I would advise to take this route.
Got your point laluks. Approx what time should I start from bangalore to reach tenkasi by say 2-3pm which I assume that would be a good time for this route, right. Have you travelled on this route any time recently. Need to get some idea on the road conditions post the rains, especially shenkottai-punalur.

My destination is Kowadiar, but I would be looking to reach via kesavadasapuram side. Punalur and beyond is more of home turf , with lot of driving done on the MC road, so prefer that side.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 12:53   #206
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 223 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Heard from my friend who drove Bangalore-Trivandrum-Bangalore last weekend that the Nagercoil-Trivandrum stretch is completely broken. The mad traffic adds to this chaos. He was able to average only 30 kmph on this stretch.
He took the Trivandrum(Mangalapuram)-Attingal-Kilimanoor-Ayur-Anchal-Kulathupuzha-Thenmala-Thenkasi-Srivillaputhur-Thirumangalam-Salem-Bangalore route while returing. As per him, this route was much better and the drive was more relaxing. There are some bad patches near Thenmala (Between Kulathupuzha and Thenmala). The ghat section is also not really bad. The roads are really good after crossing to Tamilnadu.
denver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 13:49   #207
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,547
Thanked: 5,815 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Got your point laluks. Approx what time should I start from bangalore to reach tenkasi by say 2-3pm which I assume that would be a good time for this route, right. Have you travelled on this route any time recently. Need to get some idea on the road conditions post the rains, especially shenkottai-punalur.

My destination is Kowadiar, but I would be looking to reach via kesavadasapuram side. Punalur and beyond is more of home turf , with lot of driving done on the MC road, so prefer that side.

FundaG
My data on the road surface is a bit old, but it was always bad near Thenmala Dam and a few of the curves there, with big pot holes.

I assume that you are going to take the deviation from NH7 at Madurai.

Bangalore Madurai is around 6 hours without any breaks. I normally drive at night around 10PM start would get me there by 4ish.

Another 2 to 2.5 hour on this route to Tenkashi, we reach there by 6-6.30ish for a tea, banana fritter break there . Another 1 to 1.5 hour to Punalur. From Punalur it will take another 2 hours to Kowdiar

So I guess if you start early morning 6ish from Bangalore, with your lunch break you should be able to reach Tenkashi around 3ish. May be you could start earlier too.

If you were to continue till Nagarcoil and to Trivandrum, my experience is Nagercoil can be reached under 8 hours (this is mostly possible due to the night drives) and a 2.5 hours from there to Trivandrum.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 17:31   #208
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 103
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
I am a little confused when you mentioned "Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208." Both the google map routes I had shared takes the NH208. So is it the same or is there any other route. If it is different could you send the google map link for this. By the way, are there any good hotels on this stretch.
NH7 continues south of Madurai (bypassing Madurai to its west). At Thirumangalam take the turning for Rajapalayam onto NH208. Its easily missed.

Unfortunately good eateries are scarce. I remember having lunch at a place called 'Bell Monkey' at Ilanji near Tenkasi. Rajapalayam has a couple of small restaurants.
Attached Files
File Type: kml TirumangalamTamilNadu625706.kml (492 Bytes, 140 views)
gkrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 12:38   #209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: --
Posts: 36
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Hi,
Planning to drive via Nagercoil-Madurai to Bangalore bypass (exactly to Nashik) this August. Please tell me the road condition of this route. Thanks
passionforcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 12:43   #210
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
Hi,
Planning to drive via Nagercoil-Madurai to Bangalore bypass (exactly to Nashik) this August. Please tell me the road condition of this route. Thanks
One word ... Excellent. 4-lane end to end Kanyakumari to Bangalore.
Need we say anything more ?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2539 5th December 2016 22:53
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore jacs Route / Travel Queries 23 30th September 2013 14:50
Bangalore-Kanyakumari-Trivandrum-Kodaikanal-Bangalore- An update DrVjy Street Experiences 0 22nd October 2011 15:05
Bangalore - Trivandrum Road Trip - Route HELP svsantosh Route / Travel Queries 80 8th January 2009 10:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks