Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th July 2015, 16:21   #181
BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad to Srisailam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Does anyone have the latest update on road conditions to Srisailam?
Option1 : ORR/Airport - ORR Exit 14 - Kawalkurthy (NH765) - Munnanur (via SH5)
Option 2 : ORR/Airport - Jadcherla (via old NH7) - Kawalkurthy (via SH18) - Munnanur (via SH5)
Option3 : ORR/Airport - Jadcherla (via old NH7) - Bhutpur (via old NH7) - Munnanur (via SH20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
In the option 3 route do not go to Bhutpur and then turn towards Nagarkurnool.
Better option is Jadcherla-Binjapalli-Nagarkurnool-Munnanur this is a dual carriage way throughout.
Due to last minute addition of more passengers, I did not take my car. Opted for an Innova taxi as we were 6 of us. The cab company quoted a fixed rate of 6,900 all inclusive plus tolls ex Sikh Village. The driver refused to go by any other route except Option 1 above. Too many diversions at various culverts and bridges and many stretches where road laying is not fully complete and where 40 mm stones have been laid and road roller run over them but top layer tarring is pending. Avoid Option 1 come what may.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
The other restaurant is after Jadcherla and it is named 97 as it is that distance away
from Hyderabad.
It comes on the right side after Jadcherla while driving from Hyderabad
But "97" will not come except Option 3 and you suggested to turn left at Jadcherla and go via Bijnapalli and Nagarkurnool to Munnanur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Question for those who have visited in the last few days:
1), is it raining at Srisailam ?
2) How is the crowd on the weekend ?
1) Rains on a particular day might not hold good for the day you travel.
2) I went on a saturday. Started at 6:30 from Shamshabad before Airport and was at the temple at 10:45. 100/- ticket queue was 3 hours long while 500/- queue was 1 hour long. Opted for 1,500/- (per couple, so only 500/- more) which allowed us "touch darshan", the best choice as per me. Covering both the jyotirling and shaktipeeth took us 90 minutes. I would say the crowd was not really much but would have built up as the day progressed. Food options are really bad and we had carried biscuits, sandwiches, halwa, juice tetrapaks and some more. Tried a "meal" at a dhaba on the return sector and the food was outrightly horrible (dhaba had more than a dozen cars and was full). If you scroll back, I had long ago posted a photo of a board of Royal Family Dhaba and food there is slightly better but it is not enroute if you go by Gajadonga suggested modified Option 3 route.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 17:24   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hyd_traveller : ... I had long ago posted a photo of a board of Royal Family Dhaba and food there is slightly better but it is not enroute if you go by Gajadonga suggested modified Option 3 route.
Thanks ..
I will be travelling from Bangalore, so the routes from Hyd side would not be applicable for me.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 11:01   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Question for those who have visited in the last few days:

1), is it raining at Srisailam ?
2) How is the crowd on the weekend ?
1. It did not rain in the last weekend except rare few drops (can't be called even a drizzle).
2. Crowd was not a lot yesterday and the day before but if you can make it during the weekdays (other than monday), you might get to go inside the sanctorium (Garbhalayam)

Weekends, special darshan tickets' cost is also doubled.

Here is a list of updates based on my trip this weekend:

Route:
I went through the route Jadcherla-Binjapalli-Nagarkurnool-Munnanur and it was as smooth as butter. Ghat roads and forest are very well maintained and neat. Lot of speed breakers (about 15) every 1 km from Munnanur do slow down the car but the slow speed is definitely worth the view of forest. I was lucky to be greeted by a few deers. It is two way through out except for a gap (around 8-10 KMs) after Nagarkurnool but it still does not have any problems. I'd recommend this route to everyone.

Food:
We started @ 5:30 in the morning, so Hillpark restaurant was not even open when we reached but we did have Dosa/poori etc near Nagarkurnool bus stand. Not great food as suggested before, better to carry home food, if you can. Once you reach Sri Sailam, we had food at different places and can recommend the following:
  • Breakfast can be had at Devasthanam Canteen no. 1 outside temple entrance and the food was pretty good. I have heard good things about Shankar Vilas also but did not eat there.
  • Avoid eating at Ilapuram eatery below Ganga Sadan
  • Trishul restaurant below Mallikarjuna Sadan is the best bet for food. Tasty, hygenic and variety. North Indian food is also made very well. Large range of options.

Stay:
I stayed at Gouri Sadan. It was not excellent but was good and neat enough to stay a day or two. I had booked it online. If available, that is a good thing to do. however, check-in and check-out timings for online bookings are 8 AM. Current bookings are 24 Hrs check-out.

Temple:
Weekends (sat, sun and mon) special darshan tickets' cost is doubled. Rs.500 ticket will get you closest darshan but to get inside, I think you have to buy Abhishekam tickets (1500 per person/couple). Managing people were rude. If you just want darshan, I'd recommend start early in the day (5 AM) and join the free line. I paid 500 still got the same darshan as free line people.

We also went to Ropeway. They charge 60 rs for adults (2 way) and 100 rs for both ropeway and boating.

Overall, it is a beautiful place to be and the drive was a super memory. Loved every bit of it.

Regards,
Sri Harsha.

Last edited by ampere : 28th July 2015 at 01:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged
bhappyharsha is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 22:53   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
Weekends, special darshan tickets' cost is also doubled
@SriHarsha, thank you ! The tickets for darshan are priced exhorbitantly, IMO. It has been so since last few years, and same in Mahanandi also. But this doubling of rates during weekend (including Monday) is something.
Old 28th July 2015, 10:43   #185
BHPian

@condor, agree. I have visited Sri Sailam after more than a decade and see that it has changed a lot. It is really unfortunate that temples are being managed by greedy people than followers of faith.
bhappyharsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:48   #186
BHPian

Planning for a trip this weekend. How is the water in the dam. is there still fishing and boating available (the round boat, parisal)
Where is this ropeway?
Where is this falls?

What other places can we visit in there? We are planning to stay Saturday and return on Sunday.

Last time we went, visited the temple late in the evening, slept and visited the dam and returned.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 08:07   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Sri Harsha. I have made the bookings for this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
  • Trishul restaurant below Mallikarjuna Sadan is the best bet for food. Tasty, hygenic and variety. North Indian food is also made very well. Large range of options.
One question: The Mallikarjun Sadan and Trishul restaurant look to be at different points. Pls check this :

Hyderabad to Srisailam : Route Queries-srisailamtrishul.jpg
Old 6th August 2015, 08:33   #188
BHPian

Not sure why the maps show it that way. That's what I remember. This is right opposite car parking area and near gauri and Ganga sadan building. Please check when you go and confirm once.
Old 6th August 2015, 11:42   #189
BHPian

Quote:
.... The Mallikarjun Sadan and Trishul restaurant look to be at different points.
I think the location of Trishul restaurant is the correct one on the map, don't remember any restaurant so close to the temple complex.
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 12:39   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I think the location of Trishul restaurant is the correct one on the map, don't remember any restaurant so close to the temple complex.
Agree. The location of Trishul is correct in the Map. But what I remember is the name of Mallikarjuna Sadan above that building. Probably, that was written right where Bhramaramba Sadan is being displayed in the Map.

If I am wrong, please excuse me.
Old 6th August 2015, 14:28   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with you both. IIRC, the point where the map shows Mallikarjuna Sadan has lot of shops. The nearest eatery there would be next to the park / garden.

Will check Trishul when I am there.

Thanks !
Old 12th August 2015, 08:18   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sri Hari & @Deepv: thanks for the inputs

1). Trishul is as on the map above.
2) The location of Mallikarjun Sadan is wrong in that map. This is at the same location as Trishul

Just got back yesterday. Big crowd on Monday since it was Monday + Ekadashi. The darshanam system is crazy: The ques for Abhishekam and general/paid darshan are allowed for 1 hour durations - Alternately !! So, the people in each line will suddenly find themselves just waiting - and hence get impatient. The people in the que for darshan were shaking the locked gates - trying to bring it down.

In the Abhishekam que, self regulation was there, though some people did sneak in. There was some shouting between devotees & temple staff due to obvious line breaking.

One other TBHP-ian was there on the weekend. He found that if the on-line tickets or on-spot purchase tickets for Abhishekam are not available, then just ask any one around - from guards to any staff, and they would arrange one. It is only when I saw this that I realised why we had to wait so much even though I was fairly ahead in the list for the day's Abhishekams

The prasadam laddu's that I purchased from the counter were a little dry - though the ones we go as part of the Abhishekam were fresh.

Note:
The Devasthanam (looks like) runs the IOC bunk. Fuel here is good.
Though no air supply for tyres.
Old 12th August 2015, 12:58   #193
BHPian

Quote:
1). Trishul is as on the map above.
Thanks for confirmation on Trishul.
Looks like this is viable eating option now, till last year we used to just make do with tiffin type of eateries
(or go to Haritha whose charges would be like they serve in Hyd).

Quote:
Just got back yesterday. Big crowd on Monday since it was Monday + Ekadashi.
Sunday & Monday are in general crowded, getting accommodation also become cumbersome.
Did you stay the night?? Or, returned post darshan?

Quote:

One other TBHP-ian was there on the weekend. He found that if the on-line tickets or on-spot purchase tickets for Abhishekam are not available, then just ask any one around - from guards to any staff, and they would arrange one. It is only when I saw this that I realised why we had to wait so much even though I was fairly ahead in the list for the day's Abhishekams
Actually you get Abhishekam tickets most of the time while temple is open.
There is a counter inside main gopuram (gate) on left side, which one person from group can go and get tickets from.
I got it once like that, the security allowed me in while others from family waited outside.

Thanks for all the details .. good to note these!!
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 13:16   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Looks like this is viable eating option now, till last year we used to just make do with tiffin type of eateries
(or go to Haritha whose charges would be like they serve in Hyd).

Sunday & Monday are in general crowded, getting accommodation also become cumbersome.
Yes, Trishul is pretty much the one option for many of us.
( One tip: if you want a masala dosa, pls ask for a crisp one .. we felt that the ones we got were not roasted enough )

Haritha wasnt great, as we had seen during our last visit. On another note, the tea available in the town is much better now

We had booked about 4-5 days ahead, so had got the accomodation. We stayed two nights. After the darshan & pooja in the morning, we went again in the evening & also some small shopping for prasadam on Monday evening.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 18:25   #195
BHPian

I am planning to go to Srisailam this weekend from Hyderabad. Could you please let me know if the following route is the best route?

NH7 - Jadcherla - Bijnavaram - Nagarkurnool - Munnanur - Srisailam ghat section

Or, is the regular route via Srisailam highway (Maisigandi, Kalwakurthy, Umamaheswaram) better now?

Also, what is the best hotel to stay in Srisailam for a family of four (including a toddler and a seven year old)
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote