Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th July 2007, 02:13   #1

Question Question about MPE and NH4

It would be great if someone can answer these questions -
  1. Do the Mumbai Pune Expressway[MPE] and NH4 ever merge at all in between?
  2. Some friend of mine said that the MPE and NH4 merge for 2 kms in the ghats section during which bikes and 3 wheelers can get on the expressway. According to him, they then have to get off to go to Khopoli. Is that true?
Cheers

Last edited by aah78 : 10th July 2007 at 04:41. Reason: edited to match requested.
kant101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you check on google earth, that should give you a clear picture.

This looks like the spot - Google Maps

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 10th July 2007 at 09:44.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 11:02   #3

Yes,I have checked google maps and mapmyindia.com which show that they don't merge. But this friend of mine who claims to have travelled on MPE tons of times believes they merge. So,its better to get info from someone who has travelled on this stretch.
kant101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 11:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes Pune-Mumbai Expressway and NH4 do merge in some ghat section which I believe is near Khandala.

During that small 2 km section or so two wheelers are allowed on expressway.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 11:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kant101 View Post
Do the Mumbai Pune Expressway[MPE] and NH4 ever merge at all in between?
Yes they do merge in the ghat section and there is no alternative here but to overlap the route and two wheelers are permitted on the MPE on this particular stretch of about 2 kms.

Quote:
Some friend of mine said that the MPE and NH4 merge for 2 kms in the ghats section during which bikes and 3 wheelers can get on the expressway. According to him, they then have to get off to go to Khopoli. Is that true?
Earlier they had to get off at Khopoli but now the case is different. They only merge for 2 kms near Khandala and thats about it.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 20:57   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Question about MPE and NH4

Sorry to bump yet another old thread.

On the above question, Old NH4 merges with Mumbai--Pune expressway for 6 kms in the ghat. But that's not the sole option. Follow my long post to know. I am sure Mumbai-Pune folks might be aware of this.

Lets decipher the lesser known connection network of Old NH4 Mumbai-Pune with Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Aim is to do Mumbai to Pune or vice versa via Old NH4 WITHOUT touching Expressway anywhere. I called it as lesser known because most of the regulars too are unaware of this seemingly confusing network of roads except locals (Learnt this fact from colleagues). They ain't that easy as it seems when you look up at Google maps. Like everyone else, I also earlier rode Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai many times via Old NH4 with a short ride on Expressway for 6 kms before rejoining old NH4. This 6 kms stretch of E-way in Bhor ghat is termed as ''common stretch'' for both old NH4 and Expressway. However, Old NH4 has altogether different routes passing through Bhor ghat ( Khandala ghat) without touching E-way at any point. I took out to explore this last year one evening when I was riding to Pune. Whenever I ascended the Bhor ghat post Khopoli town, these seemingly unusual roads running parallel always made me curious about them. Many of my regular friends on this route too didn't know about them. So, I decided to check it out myself that day. The first thing I learnt is that, the main reason for creating confusion when you look at google maps for these roads is because we tend to think all these are one-way traffic roads. I knew some part of it was two-way but not that each and every stretch. So,as it turned out that day, all these unusual roads are legally two-way traffic. You will find sign boards saying - ''Caution- Two way traffic". So, it now becomes easy to understand them, ofcourse only after you have had a first hand experience on travelling by them atleast once. Are these roads any helpful ?? Not much seriously. These 2 lane roads will take you through all towns of Lonavala,Khandala,Khopoli and give you much traffic. However they might come handy only when traffic snarls have just begun to form on Expressway in the ghat section. If you notice from a distance that vehicles are piling up, you can quickly take exit from E-way into these lesser known exits and unusual roads and bypass all the traffic snarls. But every Indian is smart. These routes help only during the '' incubation period '' of Expressway traffic snarls. Once it is established and full blown, all these unusual roads too become clogged. Because if one smart felow takes an exit others will quickly follow with full confidence on him. Even then one needs to be well versed with these unusual roads, else you will end up being stuck forever and keep circling in the same location. Alternatively, if one simply wants to do old NH4 all the way without getting on Expressway, then here is the way to go. I have posted gmap snapshots to help you understand. Explanation follow for each pic.

1.Question about MPE and NH4-13411882_1814279202133209_5032702928225894154_o.jpg

2. To give you an idea of road layout satellite view
Question about MPE and NH4-13412217_1814279638799832_4221504625216978859_o.jpg

3. The red line represents the wrong connection shown in google maps. There is no road going underneath the e-way there. Only the green dotted line represents road below the E-way. By the way Google just won't route this to you if you select origin and destination as Mumbai and Pune and try to find old NH4 all the way. Its possible only by adding intermediate way points.
Question about MPE and NH4-13411681_1814279765466486_6987731911070419378_o.jpg

4. Final pic of network of roads. Arrows in both direction means that the traffic can go legally in both ways EXCEPT the black arrow. I have seen vehicles exiting Eway at the point of the black arrow and entering the other road in the presence of cops ,but I am sure if it's legal. Rest of the roads are legally two way traffic. Pink line represents the famous crossing over of road if you are coming form Khopoli and want to head to Pune without touching expressway. If you keep straight you will join E-way, represented by black arrow-- this is known to everyone.
Question about MPE and NH4-13392307_1814279868799809_2507552664074526595_o.jpg

4. A fellow traveller asking me the way to Pune. I simply pointed him to keep straight on the road without crossing the road like that Wagon R, so that he can touch the ''common stretch'' of Expressway for 6 kms and then exit at Lonavala for old NH4. Now, the wagon R is crossing to get onto the other road as you can see, because he does not want to touch expressway and continue on old NH4 towards Lonavala / Pune via Tiger's point. That is exactly what I have termed all this while as ''unusual road''. Alternatively the Wagon-R can U-turn there at that point and connect to e-way towards Mumbai.
Question about MPE and NH4-img_20160617_204229.jpg
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote