Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 18:36   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 784 Times
Default

Hit the road and floor it baby. Enjoy your drive and drive safe.

edit : Breakup of distances doesnt really help mate. I am sure you would be engrossed in the beauty of the roads till Thoppur. Why waste time on distance ? Enjoy what NHAI has given us.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 20th July 2007 at 18:37.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 02:07   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Bangalore --> Hosur -->Krishnagiri --> Dharmapuri--> Thoppur-->Mettur-->Ammapet- Anthiur-Athani-Sathy- Coimbatore-->Walayar - Palakkad .

this is the route we have finalised after all the suggestions as of now for Bangalore to Palakkad.

can any one break down the distances and do we need any driving directions , I knw the route till dharmapuri.
Dharmapuri to Thoppur should be 20kms approx. You need to take a right there. There will be a signboard. Thoppur ghat section is a 6 lane road and the right to Mettur starts just after the ghat section ends.

After that is Mecheri and then Mettur. Should be another 30 kms max from Thoppur to Metttur.

Please read my earlier post on the route in Mettur.

Be careful as to not miss the right from Ammapet. Ammapet is a glorified village. You won't find big signboards there. Its around 25 kms from Mettur. You have to take the right there. Ask someone if you are not sure. Its State roads but decently maintained and is a better option than Bhavani->Perundurai->Avinashi->Cbe.

Also at Andiyur you need to take the road to Athani. Please enquire as there are no boards at the junction.

Sathymangalam to Coimbatore road is pretty good but has some dangerous curves.

I'm glad this route has become popular. I've used it quite sometime back and have been telling people abt it. :-)
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 08:15   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,510
Thanked: 1,443 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Reviving an old thread.. considering the 4-Lane work on NH-47.. what is the recommended route from Bangalore to Palakkad with a via-point of Coimbatore Airport?

Is NH-47 being widened between Coimbatore-Palakkad as well? Or is it being widened only between Aviniashi-Coimbatore?
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 11:31   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 801 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Reviving an old thread.. considering the 4-Lane work on NH-47.. what is the recommended route from Bangalore to Palakkad with a via-point of Coimbatore Airport?

Is NH-47 being widened between Coimbatore-Palakkad as well? Or is it being widened only between Aviniashi-Coimbatore?
If if you need a route via cbe Airport, there is no choice. It has to be Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Cbe-Palakkad. You would get 4 lane till Chengapalli. Four laning is in progress from Chengapalli to Coimbatore. There is no widening work happening between Cbe-Palakkad.

If you don't need to touch cbe airport, then I would strongly suggest Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 29th April 2011 at 11:33.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 15:05   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore-Kollam-Trivandrum
Posts: 41
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

During day time the route through pollachi is good , if its early morning or late night heavy vehicles will be plying in excess during those timings walayar is the best alternate route.
rahulrajeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 15:25   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

And if it rains, Avinashi would become a slush pool. Even in those case, this route is much better. But yes, daytime ride preferable.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 15:29   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
If if you need a route via cbe Airport, there is no choice. It has to be Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Cbe-Palakkad. You would get 4 lane till Chengapalli. Four laning is in progress from Chengapalli to Coimbatore. There is no widening work happening between Cbe-Palakkad.

If you don't need to touch cbe airport, then I would strongly suggest Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad.
I wouldn't say there isn't a choice. Based on my experience last week, I'd say going via Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Sathy will be faster, cheaper and a lot more enjoyable drive. One should be able to get from the Kanakapura Rd-NICE road junction to Annur in less than 4 hours. Not sure of the road from there to CBE airport, but looking at the conditions of State highways in Tamilnadu, that shouldn't be too bad either..
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 16:30   #23
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,208 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Is NH-47 being widened between Coimbatore-Palakkad as well?
Yes. On 22 April 2011, I drove on the diversions due to road widening works between Coimbatore and Palakkad. Lands have already been acquired for widening but the progress is at snail's pace.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 18:23   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I wouldn't say there isn't a choice. Based on my experience last week, I'd say going via Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Sathy will be faster, cheaper and a lot more enjoyable drive. One should be able to get from the Kanakapura Rd-NICE road junction to Annur in less than 4 hours. Not sure of the road from there to CBE airport, but looking at the conditions of State highways in Tamilnadu, that shouldn't be too bad either..

@Kala, how does one by-pass CBE (towards Kerala) if one is coming via Chamarajnagar?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 18:51   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Kala, how does one by-pass CBE (towards Kerala) if one is coming via Chamarajnagar?
From Annur take the road towards Avinashi. After a km or so you would find a right which will take you to Karumathampatti on NH47. Once you reach Karumathampatti you can continue onwards to Coimbatore Byepass. I have given you the screen shot below of the route. Having said that you would still have to live with the diversions / traffic etc. on NH47.


Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries-annur-nh47.jpg
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 19:21   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

@Srikanth

If its going via Avinashi, then its quite a big roundabout. It also defeats the purpose of avoiding Avinashi,

If there no way from the other side? (West of CBE)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 20:47   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

You will not be going via Avinashi instead join NH47 at Karumathampatti well further of Avinashi. This is the most comfortable way to reach the bye-pass from Annur.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 22:26   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 801 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
You will not be going via Avinashi instead join NH47 at Karumathampatti well further of Avinashi. This is the most comfortable way to reach the bye-pass from Annur.
srikanth, I feel that taking NH7 and NH47 would be more quicker than coming via chamrajnagar and sathyamangalam.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 23:02   #29
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

there is a better route if you are going through Sathyamangalam.After Annur, proceed further on coimbatore route and then you will reach Kurumbapalayam where in you can see the board to airport.Take this left and this road will lead you straight in to the old NH47 (which used to pass through cbe city). At this meeting point, take a left and in another 5 kms, you will hit the LT bye pass. This way, you can avoid the 10 kms of 2 lane road between karumathampatty and LT bye pass
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 00:48   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
there is a better route if you are going through Sathyamangalam.After Annur, proceed further on coimbatore route and then you will reach Kurumbapalayam where in you can see the board to airport.Take this left and this road will lead you straight in to the old NH47 (which used to pass through cbe city). At this meeting point, take a left and in another 5 kms, you will hit the LT bye pass. This way, you can avoid the 10 kms of 2 lane road between karumathampatty and LT bye pass
Wish I had known about this during my trip last week. I took the Karumathampatty route and even though I managed to hit NH47 in about 18 minutes from Annur (17 kms) the remaining 10 kms took me 42 minutes, thanks to all the diversions (made worse by rain and darkness). I'm sure it would have been worth driving the extra 5 kms that your suggested route is longer by. It would probably have taken me to the start of the L&T byepass in 4 hrs 45 minutes of driving time from the NICE road intersection which I think would be difficult to achieve on NH7-NH47 in its current state. (See the GPX trace of my trip on this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2327377 )

The route that Joe is suggesting from Annur should be this I guess :
Attached Images
 

Last edited by kala : 30th April 2011 at 00:50.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2769 18th August 2017 13:16
Bangalore - Madurai - Bangalore : Route Queries aravinthrk Route / Travel Queries 65 7th June 2017 21:50
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries Newpunter Route / Travel Queries 6 13th December 2010 15:09
Palghat - Coorg route query, urgent help reqd! Steeroid Route / Travel Queries 1 27th August 2007 10:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks