Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd October 2007, 13:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Hey guys,

Finally i am going to Wayanad in nov(3rd 4th) after postponing it from july..

suddenly i see bangalore receiving alot of rainfall in past week or so.. and its becoming worse day by day..

so i just want to know how is wayanad at this time of the year? and also.. how are the road conditions ? i am planning to take the usual route of bangalore->mysore->gundlupet->sulthan batteri->Vythiri

is there any other route which is better or this is the best one ?
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

I'm also taking the same route. Should be ok from all the inputs that I've gathered. A little bit bad at Gundulpet is all that I could find out.

Kerala is usually affected more by the SW Monsoon, which has fully withdrawn now. Its the NE Monsoon which is bringing about rain now. Kerala should fall in the rain shadow, but one never knows with hill stations. :-)

Come what may, I'm going to be there and I heard that when it rains in Wayanad it typically pours.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Kerala too has been having heavy rains last week but that should not affect the roads.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Kerala too has been having heavy rains last week but that should not affect the roads.
Heard from my relatives last weekend it was raining bad in Kerala.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent.. so the road and the drive is going to be even more exciting !! I'm off on Nov 1st itself... so I'll be spending 4 rainy days in Kerala :-)
Old 24th October 2007, 10:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hav fun Csentil..

i have been to masinagudi in july.. so i know till the diversion after gundlupet..what i wanted to know is from that point, till wayanad..

anyways hoping that it remains better...
Old 24th October 2007, 10:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hav fun Csentil..

i have been to masinagudi in july.. so i know till the diversion after gundlupet..what i wanted to know is from that point, till wayanad..

Just did that stretch day before, till Gundalpet roads are good, apart from the occasional road humps on mysore road and the 3 or 4 very bad small stretches.

From Gundalpet the fun starts till you enter jungle, where the road is virtually laden with craters (rim brakers) so please stick to low speed and avoid night drive (which i did not ). Inside the jungle better off, with some small bad patches, till you hit kerala border.

From then on, you can do your hooligan driving till the ghat section (careful coz the road users are also hooligans). In short kerala roads have been relaid and in good condition till Kalpatta (discount small rough patches).

From kalpatta (ghats) which you might not require, apart from the first hair pin rest are in bad shape, but the in between roads are good (again occasional bad patches) till calicut.

Hope this helps, be prepared to face blinding rains (5 mts visbility) usually dont last too long, so if you dont want to risk it park for 10 mts, and in Wayanad fog.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th October 2007 at 10:55.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 10:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hav fun Csentil..

58 kms from Gundulpet is Sultan's Battery, and 31 kms further on is Kalpetta.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 12:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just did that stretch day before, till Gundalpet roads are good, apart from the occasional road humps on mysore road and the 3 or 4 very bad small stretches.

From Gundalpet the fun starts till you enter jungle, where the road is virtually laden with craters (rim brakers) so please stick to low speed and avoid night drive (which i did not ). Inside the jungle better off, with some small bad patches, till you hit kerala border.

From then on, you can do your hooligan driving till the ghat section (careful coz the road users are also hooligans). In short kerala roads have been relaid and in good condition till Kalpatta (discount small rough patches).

From kalpatta (ghats) which you might not require, apart from the first hair pin rest are in bad shape, but the in between roads are good (again occasional bad patches) till calicut.

Hope this helps, be prepared to face blinding rains (5 mts visbility) usually dont last too long, so if you dont want to risk it park for 10 mts, and in Wayanad fog.
Thanks for that update. Would be really helpful. How many kms is the bad stretch? I might not want to take my car then and rather hire a Sumo/Qualis. Yes will be avoiding night time traffic.
Old 24th October 2007, 17:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

No where else in the world we can expect such a great response..

hats off to you guys.. keep sharing the info..

I am looking forward to a great holiday(and a great drive too)
Old 24th October 2007, 18:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Another quick question....since i have not taken the right turn towards calicut(which will take me to vythiri) i have gone straight towards masinagudi before..

i know that till this diversion, road is pretty flat without any ghat section.. after this turn.. can anyone tell me roughly how much more distance is a ghat section? and any precautions ?

just to make sure i am going in the right direction and with right preparation for ghats..
Old 24th October 2007, 18:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention..

I am planning to go to Vythiri resort.. which is just after town of vythiri i guess..
Old 24th October 2007, 19:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

rajshenoy if Vythiri is your destination you wouldn't need to hit the ghats.

The ghat is just about a few kms away from Vythiri and make it a point to drive down to the ghats early in the morning. The place where the ghat section starts is called Lakkidi.

The view of Calicut from Lakkidi is simply breath-taking.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 16:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely love driving in Wynad. Nights are better since the hooligans are off the road and headlights warn you of oncoming vehicles.

Very involving stuff for a driver and rider(have done it on Bullet some years back), I love those curvy roads.......MUUUUAAAAHHHH!!!
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 19:13   #30

joined this site about a couple of days back and got more info than i honestly expected!!! i myself am doing a 4 day sojourn to North Kerala from Bangalore from Nov 1 - 4.
Trying to cover Kasargod and Wayanad during this time. Hoping to camp out in the open close to Chembra base camp. Let's see how it all turns out!!! yet again, good work to all who keep sharing info, keep going!!!
kishor_narayan is offline   Reply With Quote