Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 16:10   #91
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,729
Thanked: 7,893 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Swift ZXI. Truly scared of bad roads. It kills time and being a sole driver the exhaustion sets in fast.
Then take the GQ route. Hyd-Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Jaipur-Delhi. This will be atleast 450kms longer but, will be a much faster and comfortable drive.

You can try the other route while coming back if you like.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:24   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 117
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Then take the GQ route. Hyd-Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Jaipur-Delhi. This will be atleast 450kms longer but, will be a much faster and comfortable drive.

You can try the other route while coming back if you like.
Looks good to me, Would you know the exact route to Shimla or Udaipur. Can somebody help me on this and places to stay en route without entering Mumbai city
ajitsank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 17:27   #93
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 223
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

folks - I have done the hyd - delhi - hyd route couple of weeks back for uttaranchal trip.

Started early morning at 7:00 from hyderabad and reached seoni, MP - 700 kms and stayed in a hotel called, Anand Residency. The hotel is very good and have comfortable accommodation.

next day - 6:00 AM started at seoni, reached Delhi - 11:00 PM

Road condition.

Hyderabad - AP border - very good
AP border - Higinghat - bad patches and need to drive slow
Higinghat - Nagpur - Very good
Nagpur - Pench - till you reach the forest gate, the road is good, afterward the road in the forest ghat is worst. Forest gate - seoni is good
Seoni - Laknadon - good
lakhnadon - Sagar - good in between lot o deviations for bridge contructions
Sagar - Jhansi - road is good but lot of deviations, No by pass for jhansi
Jhansi - Gwalior - Ok road with lot of deviations
Gwalior - Agra - nice road
Agra - Delhi - four lane
contactme27 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 21:34   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Looks good to me, Would you know the exact route to Shimla or Udaipur. Can somebody help me on this and places to stay en route without entering Mumbai city
You can check the attached file for route from Pune to Delhi via Udaipur, and also to Shimla.

Check out the following link for a detailed guide to bypass Bombay, from Pune expressway to Ahmedabad highway. Ignore the bypass route suggested by G Maps & Navigators:
https://sites.google.com/site/hvkuma...bypass---south


Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
lakhnadon - Sagar - good in between lot o deviations for bridge contructions
Sagar - Jhansi - road is good but lot of deviations, No by pass for jhansi
Jhansi - Gwalior - Ok road with lot of deviations
Gwalior - Agra - nice road
Agra - Delhi - four lane
Very happy to hear that Laknadon-Sagar road is good now. Are there any bad road sections in this sector (Laknadon-Sagar)?

Sagar bypass is complete?

Bad sections in Jhansi-Gwalior road?

How did you get into Gwalior bypass (the new one?) - are signages good?
Attached Files
File Type: xls Ladakh1.xls (324.5 KB, 298 views)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 14:15   #95
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Hyderabad route

I shall be driving from Noida to Hyderabad alone over a period of two days this week. I expect to leave Noida around 9:00 AM on Day 1 and expect to reach Hyderabad late on Day 2 with a night halt enroute.

I'm inclined to take the Noida - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Sagar - Laknadon - Seoni - Nagpur route to reach Hyderabad. Night halt shall be either at Jhansi or Sagar, depending on how much distance I cover on Day 1. I understand driving through MP at night isn't advisable and hence am not inclined to drive beyond 9:00 PM.

Based on posts here, there seems to be a ~30km bad stretch somewhere around Seoni and other than that, the road is OK. Another view is to avoid Seoni altogether by taking the Narsimhapur - Chhindwara - Nagpur route.

Could you please advise on latest road conditions and chip in with your suggestions. Thanks!
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 17:30   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Hyderabad route

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I shall be driving from Noida to Hyderabad alone over a period of two days this week. I expect to leave Noida around 9:00 AM on Day 1 and expect to reach Hyderabad late on Day 2 with a night halt enroute.

I'm inclined to take the Noida - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Sagar - Laknadon - Seoni - Nagpur route to reach Hyderabad. Night halt shall be either at Jhansi or Sagar, depending on how much distance I cover on Day 1. I understand driving through MP at night isn't advisable and hence am not inclined to drive beyond 9:00 PM.

Based on posts here, there seems to be a ~30km bad stretch somewhere around Seoni and other than that, the road is OK. Another view is to avoid Seoni altogether by taking the Narsimhapur - Chhindwara - Nagpur route.

Could you please advise on latest road conditions and chip in with your suggestions. Thanks!
Gwalior-Jhansi continues to be in a very bad shape. Sagar-Narasingpur-Laknadon was much better despite the incomplete road widening, but I wonder how the new roads have fared during the rains of last fortnight? I would not be too worried about the small section of bad road after Seoni, but yes, it is a good idea to take the Narasingpur-Chhindwara route to Nagpur.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 17:40   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Hyderabad route

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I shall be driving from Noida to Hyderabad alone over a period of two days this week. I expect to leave Noida around 9:00 AM on Day 1 and expect to reach Hyderabad late on Day 2 with a night halt enroute.
I would say the goal that you have set up for yourself is a tough ask especially considering the roads. BTW what car will you be driving?

I would say estimate 2.5 to 3 days.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 18:16   #98
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
yes, it is a good idea to take the Narasingpur-Chhindwara route to Nagpur.
Bad roads notwithstanding, will I be missing the scenic beauty of forests around Seoni by taking the Narasingpur-Chhindwara route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would say the goal that you have set up for yourself is a tough ask especially considering the roads. BTW what car will you be driving?
I would say estimate 2.5 to 3 days.
Cheers
I look at the Nagpur-Hyderabad section as the home stretch, so I'm not averse to driving late into the night/early morning. I guess Jhansi - Hyderabad in one day's driving will be pretty tough, if I can get to Sagar on the night of Day1 then it should be easier. If not, (and it doesn't seem likely) I'll probably look at sleeping it off on the night of Day2 as well. I'll be driving a Xenon.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 18:53   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Bad roads notwithstanding, will I be missing the scenic beauty of forests around Seoni by taking the Narasingpur-Chhindwara route?
No, the road is equally scenic
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 20:35   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,517
Thanked: 2,247 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Do share the road conditions with us once you are done with your trip airfoil, would be mighty helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the following, which route would be the best bet?

- 2 drivers
- 5pm start from Hyderabad
- No night halts in MP (?? possible ??)
- No night drives in MP
- Minimal breaks, packed food will be carried.

I have devised the following route based on the earlier suggestions on this thread -

Hyderabad - Nagpur - Betul - Itarsi - Bhopal - Guna - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi

A late 5 pm start from Hyderabad would mean we would reach Nagpur by say 1-2 am. Is it safe to enter and continue in MP on the Nagpur-Betul-Itarsi sector between 2-5am?
Dry Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 20:41   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Do share the road conditions with us once you are done with your trip airfoil, would be mighty helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the following, which route would be the best bet?

- 2 drivers
- 5pm start from Hyderabad
- No night halts in MP (?? possible ??)
- No night drives in MP
- Minimal breaks, packed food will be carried.

I have devised the following route based on the earlier suggestions on this thread -

Hyderabad - Nagpur - Betul - Itarsi - Bhopal - Guna - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi

A late 5 pm start from Hyderabad would mean we would reach Nagpur by say 1-2 am. Is it safe to enter and continue in MP on the Nagpur-Betul-Itarsi sector between 2-5am?
I don;t think there is any serious safety issue on these stretches of MP. You will see lots of truck traffic. I think you should reach Nagpur even earlier than 2 am, maybe 1-2 hours earlier. Gwalior bypass is a total mess, but you will reach there by day light.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 19:54   #102
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

I don;t think there is any serious safety issue on these stretches of MP. You will see lots of truck traffic. I think you should reach Nagpur even earlier than 2 am, maybe 1-2 hours earlier. Gwalior bypass is a total mess, but you will reach there by day light.
hvk,I just did the alternate route through the golden quadrilateral and was planning to go via hyderabad Nagpur betul Gwalior Agra Delhi, what do you think about the route, I have done it couple of years earlier, will it be good in comparison to the GQ drive or should I stick to GQ on my drive back to Delhi from alleppey.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 22:34   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
hvk,I just did the alternate route through the golden quadrilateral and was planning to go via hyderabad Nagpur betul Gwalior Agra Delhi, what do you think about the route, I have done it couple of years earlier, will it be good in comparison to the GQ drive or should I stick to GQ on my drive back to Delhi from alleppey.
Central India is progressively worsening as the rains intensify. Earlier this week, rains have been merciless on MP roads & I shudder t think how they will be. I would totally avoid the Betul or Sagar routes for now
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 16:14   #104
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Delhi - Hyderabad Road Conditions Update

I just completed a solo Noida - Hyderabad drive in a Tata Xenon. Total distance driven was ~1600 km and took a total of 33 driving hours spread over 2 days.

I left Noida at 9:30 AM and reached Sagar, MP, ~650km and 13 hours later. I left Sagar at 7:00 AM the next morning and arrived home at 3:00 AM, distance was about 900 km.

Here's an update on road conditions:

***Note: This log is between Delhi (Noida) and Hyderabad, so you'll need to look at it in reverse if you're going the other way!

Noida to Agra: Excellent

Took the Yamuna Expressway, awesome stretch, sparse traffic. Only issue was the steep toll rates at Rs. 320. The expressway is incomplete at the Agra end, need to get off and drive back into and through Agra.

Agra city:

Chaotic traffic and narrow lanes that my Nokia GPS guided me through were an issue. Autorickshaws and buses disgorge their passengers and cargo right in the center of the road!

Agra to Gwalior: Good

4 lane divided highway with a few bad patches.

Gwalior City: Poor

Avoided the main city traffic by taking the Madhavrao Scindia funded bypass, but the road condition was poor.

Gwalior to Jhansi: Terrible and full of diversions

The monsoon and ongoing 4-laning has wreaked havoc on this stretch. One of the worst roads I have ever had the misfortune of driving on. There are endless diversions and the road (if I can call it that) is nonexistent or severely damaged 90+% of the stretch. Four-laning is proceeding at a snail's pace and the authorities are least bothered about the conditions of the existing roads. There's only craters and pools of slippery muddy water. With the passage of each heavily laden truck, things only get worse.

Jhansi city: Chaotic traffic
There's no bypass and one is forced to drive through the center of the town.

Jhansi - Babina: Terrible
Crater path with fairly heavy and unruly traffic.

Babina to Sagar: Excellent, but watch out!

This road was bliss after the torture between Gwalior and Babina. The stretch is new and simply awesome. There are a few diversions, watch out for these sudden, unmarked diversions. Another thing is, cattle (thousands of them!) converge on this highway at night and gather and sleep on the highway itself, totally unconcerned about the traffic whizzing past. Very hazardous indeed, may not be visible especially if they're dark colored until it is too late. It is necessary to stay alert and use the High beam to spot these hazards.

Sagar Town: Terrible

NH26 from Jhansi bypasses the town. You currently need to get off the highway, enter Sagar and drive through the town plus 10 km to continue on NH26. This stretch was simply the worst road I have ever driven on. Deep, muddy, canyon-like craters on the 10km stretch heading from Sagar to Lalitpur. Will pose a challenge for most cars. There's almost no signboards to be found.

Sagar to Narsinghpur: Excellent but many diversions
Every time there's a stream/river to cross, there's an incomplete bridge leading to a diversion. These diversions are uneven gravel tracks made worse by truck traffic.

Narsinghpur town: Poor
Bad roads and incomplete four laning. Need to drive through the town.

Narsinghpur to Laknadon: Excellent, but many diversions
As long as you're on the four-lane, you're fine. It is the diversions that you need to worry about, as above.

Laknadon town: Terrible
You need to drive through the town because NH34 which bypasses the town is incomplete. Total diversion distance is roughly about 10km.

Laknadon to Seoni: Excellent, few diversions enroute, but these diversions are short and in most cases the road simply becomes a two-lane.

Seoni to Nagpur:Average to Terrible to Excellent

This is a two-lane undivided road that goes through some forest and towns and has a bit of ghats. It starts off fairly well but soon deteriorates into a crater lined, bone rattling mess. This continues until the Toll section of NH7 / 44 about 35 km short of Nagpur. Grab a meal at the Bison MPTDC resort restaurant, which comes up soon after entering the forest past Seoni.

Nagpur city: Wide roads, no traffic jams. It it is a breeze to drive through.

Nagpur to Hingnaghat: Very Good
This stretch is a divided four lane highway, partly a toll road. The four lane continues after the toll road ends, but road quality is average and signboards/lane markers/cats's eyes etc. are sparse.

Hingnaghat to Pandharkawada: Terrible
50 km of torture, with mostly non-existent roads, no 4 laning at all. These roads were mostly dry at the time though and therefore not a muddy mess.

Pandharkawada to Adilabad: Terrible to Very good
There's another 25km of torture awaiting you in this section, with a four lane highway on either side of the section.

Adilabad to Hyderabad: Very good to Excellent, few diversions enroute.
This is mostly a toll road, with some stretches being excellent and others being good. The stretch without toll is not 'excellent', with average road surface quality and poor signs/markers. The road overbridge at Dichpally is incomplete leading to jams at the railway crossing there.

Other notes:

*Wherever possible, I maintained speeds up to 130 kmph as much as possible. Breaks were kept to the minimum, except to grab a quick bite or an occassional cuppa. Nevertheless, I took 20 hours to drive 900km between Sagar and Hyderabad, mostly because of the nonexistent roads in some sections.

*After leaving Nagpur, I was on the phone with my kids using a headset and the Nokia GPS phone was turned off. This led to my missing the right turn toward Hinganghat and heading toward Chandrapur for 20km before I realized my mistake and backtracked. Factors were distraction with the phone call and lack of proper signs to depict the turn to Hyderabad. This excursion added ~40km to my trip distance.

* At Sagar, there was some to and fro running around and waiting for trains at the level crossing trying to find my way back to NH26. I headed the way I came from the Hotel to find the road to NH26 impassable. I needed to head back, drive through the town and get on the highway from the other side of Sagar.This took up more than an hour of my precious time, partly due to getting caught at either side of the level crossing and mostly because of the moon-road between Sagar and NH26 heading South. At the railway crossing, I realized too late that there's a small tunnel near the Sagar Railway Station that will allow cars to pass through, but by then the gate opened and I'd already lost 30 minutes.

*Food availability enroute is poor. You'll need to exit the highway and enter towns if you're on a four lane. Unless you're okay with eating at the roadside trucker dhabas and eat cross-legged on khatiyas, where the food is tasty and the hygiene poor. Eat in the car if you have ladies with you.

*Hotel Deepali in Sagar is a nice place to stay, new and clean. Hotel Paradise is another albeit tacky option.

I'd like to thank everyone for their inputs, especially our Highway Star, HV Kumar.

Last edited by airfoil : 25th August 2012 at 16:36.
airfoil is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:18   #105
BHPian
 
Rajesh Rawal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LKO MUM HYD
Posts: 374
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Hyderabad-Delhi (Road Trip)

Appreciate an update here.

The last one being in 2012,am sure a lot has changed on this route (for the good)
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore-Delhi-Lucknow-Banaras-Raipur-Hyderabad road trip ramanak Route / Travel Queries 1 17th September 2012 10:42
Delhi-Hyderabad Road Trip vivek_vt Travelogues 28 26th September 2011 15:25
Route, Road, Hotel Info : Hyderabad-Rajasthan-Delhi-Hyderabad mobike008 Route / Travel Queries 37 7th December 2010 17:24
Hyderabad-Uttranchal-Himachal-Delhi-Hyderabad (5000kms Road Trip) mobike008 Route / Travel Queries 62 2nd December 2009 16:07
Planning long holiday, Delhi-Leh-Delhi, Delhi-Gangotri-Delhi by road arunforu1 Route / Travel Queries 19 22nd August 2009 02:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks