Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 31st July 2007, 23:18   #1
BHPian

Question Help--Trip to Kerala and Banglore

Hi
This Saturday I am driving down to Banglore from Hyderabad and from Sunday onwards am planning to visit Kerala for the entire week. Have never been to any places in Kerala. The preferred places I would like to visit are, Munnar, Kodai, Ooty, and Waynad, and if time permits other places also, like Jog falls, sivasamudram, etc.

Could somebody please suggest how to plan to visit these places. Which one to go first and the order next. About the routes I have already researched and have some idea.

I am driving with my wife in WagonR, and I would like to know good hotels for stay in these places, of course at reasonable rates.

Please advise me.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 23:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems you should be taking the route via Mysore to visit these places. Check travelogues by tbhpians for hotel info. PM akroy, DRC etc for more help.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 00:26   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the information JKdas, will PM Akroy regarding this.

Actually, what is in my mind is,

First visit Munnar via krishnagiri and salem and spend a day or two there including a Kodai trip. Later go to ooty via coimbattore and spend a day or two there and then visit Wayanad and come back to banglore via Mysore.

One more thing is it good time to visit Munnar?? I heard lot of demolition is going on there.
Old 1st August 2007, 01:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First visit Munnar via krishnagiri and salem and spend a day or two there including a Kodai trip. Later go to ooty via coimbattore and spend a day or two there and then visit Wayanad and come back to banglore via Mysore
Spot on mate. Now just go ahead and floor it. You have done your homework on working out your route plans .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 02:34   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Ravi, hang on till tomorrow morning. Will put up a detailed route to Munnar from Bangalore. I just returned 10mins back from Munnar. A must see.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 02:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Ravi, hang on till tomorrow morning. Will put up a detailed route to Munnar from Bangalore. I just returned 10mins back from Munnar. A must see.
Wow! That is wonderful. Eagerly waiting for details. Thank you so much.
Old 1st August 2007, 08:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, JogFalls is in the North and all the others in the Southern side so you have to make JogFalls trip separately from Bangalore if you have time.

You rough itenary that I suggest should be
Bangalore - Kodai - munnar - Ooty - Shivasamudram-Talakkad - bangalore

Bangalore - Kodai (read my travelogue),

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Sembatti - Vatalakundu - Kodaikanal
there are many hotels there, book in advance, There is a nice A1 Plaza 3km before entering Dindigul BP, you can have your breakfast or lunch there depending upon when you start, if you comfortable with nightdrive you can start at midnight and reach Kodai by 9AM othewise start at 4AM...

Kodai - Munnar route as the locals (i think the shortcut route is closed for vehicular traffic), in all it will take 3-4 hours scenic drive.

Munnar - Ooty
Munnar - Maraiyur - Udumalpet - Palladam (take left from Pallam, ask for Coimbatore / Sulur route, this is NH67) - Somanur(just 3-4km before IAF base, Sulur there is a right turn for Somanur) - Karumattampatti (u will crisscross NH47 here) - Annur - Metupalayam - Ooty

This route will bypass Coimbatore, Tirupur, Avinashi which are a pain and the road is good, I personally did IAF, Sulur to bangalore using Somanur route... Avoid night drive on this route as you might miss out nice scenic views...

Ooty - Shivasamudram

Ooty - Annur - Satyamangalam - Chamrajanagar - Kolegal - Shivasamudram-Talakkad (watch out for bad stretches in Karnataka side), it will take 5-6 hours to reach this place from ooty, hence start at 5AM frm Ooty as you need good 6 hours in these 2 places...

Start from Talakkad/Shivasamudram at 4PM and reach bangalore by night...Have dinner and rest at Kamat Lokaruchi at Ramanagaram and make sure you start from there at 9Pm so that you enter bangalore in a breeze.

Shivasamudram - malavalli - maddur - Channapatna - Ramanagram - bangalore

If you want to go to Mysore then go there it takes about 2 hours and then return Mysore - Bangalore some other day, it all depends on how many days you have for this trip...

Just wait for some more time, I think Kumar will throw some more light on the itenary...
Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 1st August 2007 at 08:18.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 08:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
So you chose Munnar over Kodai, Excellent Rahul, cant wait to read your travelogue...

Abhi
Old 1st August 2007, 12:56   #9
BHPian

Hi Abhi,
Thank you so much for the information. It is really detailed and easy. Would wait for Rahul's details regarding his Munnar Trip.

BTW, I want to even Wayanad. Would like to do Waynad trip after the Ooty. Is it right? Sivasamudram, will do it if time permits.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
BTW, I want to even Wayanad. Would like to do Waynad trip after the Ooty. Is it right? Sivasamudram, will do it if time permits.
You can do Wayanad from ooty and come back to bangalore...try out vythri resorts (read lukeshywalkers travelogue for Wayanad)

One more suggession, you can start your journey to Kodai through Palani route instead of dindigul route, by doing this you can do both the ghat routes to Kodai because you have to anyway come down to Vatalakundu to go to Munnar, hence both the scenic routes can be covered...

Bangalore - Dharmapuri - Toppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Palani - Kodai (You can also see the Mettur dam in this route..)

Kodai - Vathalgundu - Teni - Bodi - Devikulam - Munnar

Abhi