Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th March 2016, 21:37   #106
BHPian

Default re: Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries

Thanks Dwind, I will be starting nearby Pallavaram. I think Hotel GRT Regency - Thiruthani will be good choice as we can reach there by around 2 PM if we start at 12 PM from Chennai.
sriswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 12:03   #107
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries

Just a quick update on Nazarethpettai - Thiruvallur road. The entire road has now been blacktopped including the road that joins the toll road to Tiruthani. It is no longer as bumpy as before but you would still need to exercise caution when passing through towns inbetween like Thirumazisai, Velavedu as the roads become a single landed with hidden speed breakers (due to new tar layer). Thiruvallur could do with another decent restaurant for stopover. The only one Akshaya Bhavan was teeming with people when we went on Saturday morning. It could get worse during summer months as more number travel to Tirupati.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 15:06   #108
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries

I am a regular traveler to Tirupathi. Normally I drive via Tiruvallur, Tiruthani, Nagari , Puthur and take left to Tiruchanoor after crossing Wadamalapet. After the new toll road NH205, I bye pass Wadamalpet and join the Tirupathi - Tiruchanoor road at the Sindhu Hotel junction (below the ROB).

On Saturday. after the second toll booth (near wadamalpet), I was driving at 80km and before the Renugunta/Kalahasti junction, there was a Police patrol vehicle parked on the right lane. Two cops stopped all TN registered vehicles and fined Rs 400/- for overspeeding, saying the speed limit is 60kmph only. Most of us argued that the speed limit in all NH is 100kmph, but the result was in vain. So, be careful and drive at 50kms after crossing the 2nd toll booth (after you descend the hill). I will post the fine copy and the vehicle photo taken by the Interceptor. I am writing an email to NHAI and Andhra Transport department as well. Just a note of caution for Tirupathi Travellers.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 11:03   #109
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Just updating the over speed challan and receipt..
Mods: Please merge the back to back posts
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries-wp_20160426_08_03_47_pro-2.jpg  

Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries-wp_20160426_08_04_32_pro.jpg  

RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:16   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I am a regular traveler to Tirupathi. Normally I drive via Tiruvallur, Tiruthani, Nagari , Puthur and take left to Tiruchanoor after crossing Wadamalapet. After the new toll road NH205, I bye pass Wadamalpet and join the Tirupathi - Tiruchanoor road at the Sindhu Hotel junction (below the ROB).

On Saturday. after the second toll booth (near wadamalpet), I was driving at 80km and before the Renugunta/Kalahasti junction, there was a Police patrol vehicle parked on the right lane. Two cops stopped all TN registered vehicles and fined Rs 400/- for overspeeding, saying the speed limit is 60kmph only. Most of us argued that the speed limit in all NH is 100kmph, but the result was in vain. So, be careful and drive at 50kms after crossing the 2nd toll booth (after you descend the hill). I will post the fine copy and the vehicle photo taken by the Interceptor. I am writing an email to NHAI and Andhra Transport department as well. Just a note of caution for Tirupathi Travellers.

Dear RGK

At what time of the day did you find the cops with the speed gun?
Desmodromic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:38   #111
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
Dear RGK

At what time of the day did you find the cops with the speed gun?
The cops were there around 9.30 a.m. (you can see the time in the Over
speed challan). When I returned around 1 p.m. no one was there at the spot. I have sent a detailed email to the concerned Andhra Govt departments(Transport, Home and Chittoor Collector), but as expected no one has responded.

Last edited by RGK : 2nd May 2016 at 15:40.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 10:05   #112
BHPian

What is the safest route from kovalam to Tirupathi? I am looking for inputs only from friends who have done this recently. Since I would be riding, Bikers please suggest.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 13:49   #113
BHPian

Any update on the latest road conditions after the recent rains? I have the return trip planed next week to Tirumala.
During the last few visits, I took the Tada route and this time I am planning to drive via Tiruvallur, Tiruthani route. Last time I drove this route was in 2010 and that time it had lot of bad stretches and thereafter we avoided this route completely for our subsequent visits.

Quote:
After the new toll road NH205, I bye pass Wadamalpet and join the Tirupathi - Tiruchanoor road at the Sindhu Hotel junction (below the ROB).
.[/u]
How is the road condition and traffic in this stretch? Google does not show it as a default route while searching.

Last edited by Makin Rulesz : 29th June 2016 at 13:54.
Makin Rulesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 21:58   #114
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Any update on the latest road conditions after the recent rains? I have the return trip planed next week to Tirumala.
During the last few visits, I took the Tada route and this time I am planning to drive via Tiruvallur, Tiruthani route. Last time I drove this route was in 2010 and that time it had lot of bad stretches and thereafter we avoided this route completely for our subsequent visits.

How is the road condition and traffic in this stretch? Google does not show it as a default route while searching.
It is the NH 205 which bye passes Wadamalapet and Renigunta towns.

The road from Chennai to Tirumala (Via Tiruvallur, Tiruthani) is completed and is very good. You can very well choose this.
I am going to Tirumala this weekend.

Last edited by RGK : 30th June 2016 at 22:02.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 22:55   #115
BHPian

Quote:
It is the NH 205 which bye passes Wadamalapet and Renigunta towns.
The road from Chennai to Tirumala (Via Tiruvallur, Tiruthani) is completed and is very good. You can very well choose this.
I am going to Tirumala this weekend.
Thanks! I have booked the visit for Wednesday next week. Your feedback on the latest condition after the weekend trip would be very helpful.
Makin Rulesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 23:05   #116
BHPian

Is there something like a monitoring system for driving up the hill. As in, time taken to cover the stretch will be monitored and if found too less, fine will be levied. A friend of mine said that you cant enjoy the drive up the hill owing to the above speed constraints. Is it for real?
Vignesh_N/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 00:06   #117
BHPian

Yes, indeed it is there. At the entry toll plaza at the base of the hill, your entry time is mentioned in the toll ticket and it also mentions the minimum time that you should take to reach the top of the hill. At the top of the hill, where you have to pass through another check point, they scan your toll ticket and the time taken by you is displayed. If you reach before the minimum recommended time, you'll be fined - don't know the amount though.
But don't worry - the prescribed time is not so long that you will need to crawl up. You can drive at reasonable speed while enjoying the road as well as the scenery and reach the top without any worry. It's not a F1 track after all.
9tMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 09:47   #118
BHPian

Without the restrictions, all the wannabe Rossis would make driving difficult for others. As much as I would love to drive without the speed limits, for the sake others safety, I feel the limitations has to be present.
Old 1st July 2016, 12:59   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Is there something like a monitoring system for driving up the hill. As in, time taken to cover the stretch will be monitored and if found too less, fine will be levied.
Refer this post (Get fined for driving fast - Alipiri to Tirumala) for the time limit.
Grand Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 21:19   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
I have heard much about the roads on tirumala. Now that I have better understanding of the events, I will reconsider my options .