Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th August 2007, 15:13   #1
BHPian

Smile Mumbai to Trivandrum via Goa in an Accent

Hi guys,

Have been through this forum and seen many articles on driving between Mumbai and Kerala, but most were not for this specific route with the same destination, hence am popping these questions

1. What would be the distance from Mumbai western suburbs to Trivandrum city? Need to go through Goa
2. Which are the best places for a stopover as I will be driving alone?
3. If I drive at a stretch with just one night stopover for a nap, can I finish the drive in less than 2 days [like starting on Friday night and reaching by Sunday evening?]
4. What would be the overall cost involved as my Accent is presently giving a little less than 9kpl in city driving?
5. What are the ideal speeds at different portions of the route?
6. What are the maintenance activities required before and after the run one way?
7.Any specific instructions for driving on this route during winter?

Am new to this site and apologize if I may have repeated some questions the answers to which may already be there.

Thanks in advance....
tmanish76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 16:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

First thing to do before a long drive is to buy a map (Eicher Road Atlas can do), if you have that most of your distance queries will be answered alongwith your expense...

Now coming to the route:
1) Pls read Moralfibre's Pune to Goa travelogue. You can also choose NH17 from Mumbai (Kumar can elaborate whether this route will be faster in rains) but if you choose Moralfibre's route from Nh4 and then Amboli ghat road it will be fast and roads are good as well. Now if you want to go to Goa, forget about reaching TVM in 2 days.

2) Goa - Trivandrum can be a very very long drive, I would not suggest that if you have no experience of long and continuous driving on highways. Secondly I dont understand the idea of stopping in Goa when you are in so hurry to reach TVM... I would suggest dump the idea of goa if you are in hurry and do the following route if you want to reach TVM by Sunday evening:

Route: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Dharwad - Hubli
Friday evening: Start from Mumbai at 11PM (take some rest between 4 -5AM if you are not accustomed, simply stop the car and sleep for a few minutes)
Saturday 6AM: Reach Hubli (about 550km)

Take right for NH63 (another 125 odd km will take you to NH17 at Ankola)
Sat 9AM: have breakfast at Ankola (Kamat)

Ankola (Kamat) - Mangalore is about 260km / 5 hours (assume 3PM at Mangalore)

I suggest you stay in Summer sands resort, Ullal for Saturday and take nice rest / sleep

Sunday 6AM: Start from Ullal
Route
11AM: CAlicut (Ullal - Calicut (225km / 5 hours including a breakfast stop)
2PM: Ernakulam (145km from Calicut)
8PM: TVM (220km from Ernakulam including breaks, traffic)

Above timings are max, you can do it even faster depending upon your style and the traffic

Total distance roughly: 1600km

Read the necessary thread of what to do/not-to-do on long drives !

Good Luck
Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 4th August 2007 at 16:59.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 20:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Dude, thats one expensive way to travel from Mumbai to Kerala. It would roughly cost you around Rs.6800 ( one-way) calculated if you get an average of 12kmpl and cost of litre of fuel being Rs.50 and not to forget the expenses on food and staying overnight etc which maybe in the vicinity of another 2k-3K or so.

If no special reason, it would be cheaper to catch a flight
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 20:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanish76 View Post
Hi guys,

1. What would be the distance from Mumbai western suburbs to Trivandrum city? Need to go through Goa
3. If I drive at a stretch with just one night stopover for a nap, can I finish the drive in less than 2 days [like starting on Friday night and reaching by Sunday evening?]
4. What would be the overall cost involved as my Accent is presently giving a little less than 9kpl in city driving?
6. What are the maintenance activities required before and after the run one way?

I have done the Bombay-Trivandrum-Bombay drive several times, all times non-stop. It takes me 24 hours non-stop through Goa, but the same drive can be cut down to 22 hours if you go via Hubli. I like to take NH17 all the way. Since you are planning the drive in winter, the road will be good throughout and although NH47/NH17/NH63/NH4 route (via Hubli) may be faster, I would settle for nothing less than the scenic NH17 drive via Goa. Many occasions, I have driven alone.

Distance is 1775 kms from Bombay Western.

Going via Goa is more difficult since out of the 550 kms between Bombay and Goa, almost 300kms is on ghat roads. On the other hand, if you take the Pune-Kolhapur-Hubli-Ankola route, you could save up to 2 hours if you are a fast driver.

I don't know how fast a driver you are, but I keep up steady speeds of 100 kmph plus and seldom have halts but for refuelling. I will assume that you will take some halts for food (I carry mine on board to avoid sop overs, such a waste of time).

If you chose to take NH17 via Goa, if you leave early in the morning, you can take a break somewhere like Kumta/Honavar, which is beyond Karwar. On Day 2, it will be a long drive to reach Trivandrum by day-end (which could be late at night). There are good hotels at Kumta and Honavar. There are several towns en route after Goa where you can get good accomodation.

If you chose to go via Hubli, you could reach even Kundapur if yyou are very fast (~900 kms).

If you are comfortable with night driving, I would suggest that you go through Kerala at night, since day driving is quite terrible, and you could save at least 3-4 hours from North (Kasargod) to South Kerala if you drive through at night. But unfortunately such time planning may be difficult in the circumstances. Whenever I drive from TVM to Bombay, I try to leave TVM at night (after 8 pm) so that I cross Mangalore by 600 am the next morning and reach Bombay by evening.

I would not drive on Goa road at night, the traffic is crazy and lethal. But if you want to do the night drive, go on NH4 via Pune to Hubli and that would be ideal. Which means if you leave Bombay on Friday night, you could reach some place like Kumta by breakfast time, take a nap of 2-3 hours, and continue such that you reach Kerala border ideally by 6-7 pm and take on the drive through Kerala that night so that you are in TVM on Sunday morning.

For petrol, you must make use of some savings techniques. If you take the NH4 route, refuel on Pune expressway at the HPCL pump near Khopoli (after toll gate), which will be the cheapest fuel in Maharashtra/Karnataka. After that, refuel at Kolhapur before you enter Karnataka.

On the other hand, if you take NH17, the next cheapest petrol (one of cheapest in India) is Goa (can you make the 550 kms on one tank?).After Goa, the next cheapest petrol is Mahe (Pondicherry) which is between Kannur and Kozhikode. After Mahe, you can reach TVM directly without refuelling. This will give you the best deal on saving petrol costs.

Bombay-Goa is a fast road by day despite the ghat roads - I do the 550 kms in 8 hours. Transit through Goa state can be slow. Once you cross into Karnataka, you continue to have lots of ghat roads but passage is fast. Fastest stretch would be Bhatkal-Kundapura after which traffic increases. Driving through Kerala is slow throughout during day, but at night the fastest stretches would be Kochi-TVM.

I will PM you my log books for you to take a look and decide how you want to go about the trip.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 20:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
First thing to do before a long drive is to buy a map (Eicher Road Atlas can do), if you have that most of your distance queries will be answered alongwith your expense...

2) Goa - Trivandrum can be a very very long drive, I would not suggest that if you have no experience of long and continuous driving on highways.
Abhi
Abhi has given a good plan for the drive -except that I have reservations about the day drive through Kerala.

I also wish to point out that the Eicher Road Atlas has an awful number of errors (I have catalogued up to 200 errors, of which at least 25 are very serious ones). I would prefer a simple TTK atlas of West India/South India, although if you get individual maps of Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka and Kerala, that would be best. The route is pretty straightforward since you would take NH17 all the way for 1,500 kms till Kochi/Ernakulam and even passage through Goa is direct and well-marked. Kerala can be a slightly disorienting drive especially in the Kozhikode-Kochi stretch where there are 3 different route options (via Kottakal-Kodungallur, Ponnani-Kodungallur and Kunnamkulam-Trissur).

If you are going in winter, the roads will all be in great shape. Currently, road conditions are awful in Panvel-Mahad-Pholadpur, Kundapura-Mangalore, Mangalore-Kasargod and Kayamkulam-Karunagapalli.
Old 4th August 2007, 20:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Dude, thats one expensive way to travel from Mumbai to Kerala. It would roughly cost you around Rs.6800 ( one-way) calculated if you get an average of 12kmpl and cost of litre of fuel being Rs.50 and not to forget the expenses on food and staying overnight etc which maybe in the vicinity of another 2k-3K or so.

They asked Edmund Hillary, why do you want to clim Mt Everest? He replied, Because it is there!

Well, there is a road to Trivandrum from Bombay, who is going to use it?

Incidentally, I have travelled several times from Trivandrum-Bombay-Trivandrum, but since 1996 have done it only by road, never by air or train.
Old 5th August 2007, 19:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Now coming to the route:
1) Pls read Moralfibre's Pune to Goa travelogue. You can also choose NH17 from Mumbai (Kumar can elaborate whether this route will be faster in rains) but if you choose Moralfibre's route from Nh4 and then Amboli ghat road it will be fast and roads are good as well. Now if you want to go to Goa, forget about reaching TVM in 2 days.

2) Goa - Trivandrum can be a very very long drive, I would not suggest that if you have no experience of long and continuous driving on highways. Secondly I dont understand the idea of stopping in Goa when you are in so hurry to reach TVM... I would suggest dump the idea of goa if you are in hurry and do the following route if you want to reach TVM by Sunday evening:

Route: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Dharwad - Hubli
Friday evening: Start from Mumbai at 11PM (take some rest between 4 -5AM if you are not accustomed, simply stop the car and sleep for a few minutes)
Saturday 6AM: Reach Hubli (about 550km)

Take right for NH63 (another 125 odd km will take you to NH17 at Ankola)
Sat 9AM: have breakfast at Ankola (Kamat)

Ankola (Kamat) - Mangalore is about 260km / 5 hours (assume 3PM at Mangalore)

I suggest you stay in Summer sands resort, Ullal for Saturday and take nice rest / sleep

Sunday 6AM: Start from Ullal
Route
11AM: CAlicut (Ullal - Calicut (225km / 5 hours including a breakfast stop)
2PM: Ernakulam (145km from Calicut)
8PM: TVM (220km from Ernakulam including breaks, traffic)

Above timings are max, you can do it even faster depending upon your style and the traffic

Total distance roughly: 1600km

Read the necessary thread of what to do/not-to-do on long drives !

Good Luck
Abhi
Hi Abhi...thanks for the detailed info....the reason for going through Goa was to enjoy my first such drive and on the way back hang out for a few days.....

Am new to driving and have not crossed 80 on my accent though I regularly do 120 on my bike....so I guess I shall go by the max time.

Had already seen the Pune to Goa travelogue, but still raised the question as I wanted to know if going directly would've been faster.

Thanks a ton never the less....

Cheers....
Old 5th August 2007, 19:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I guess it is an expensive way to travel. But am travelling to spend X'mas and New year with my parents and also to attend two weddings both at Thiruvalla in Kerala. Each trip costs 3K from TVM to TVLA if we rent a vehicle and having our own ride really helps in the running around.

What speed can I drive at to ensure that I get optimal mileage....

Thanks....
Old 5th August 2007, 19:14   #9
BHPian

Kumar....thanks a ton for your detailed advice. Will definitely look forward to trying out this route. But am surprised how you can drive continuously without a break. For me, I will be in office on Friday till 6pm and will then start. If I do not take a break, it might just get a bit risky...hence the need for a stopover.

Which vehicle did you use for this drive? And what is your opinion on how the accent might fare in the ghats?

Thanks again.....
Old 5th August 2007, 23:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Once you enter Kerala, do not exceed 80 KMPH anywhere, till Ernakulam (Edappally junction). If you are doing night drives, schedule Kasargod to Edappally (that is the specific point you will reach at Ernakulam/ Kochi if you follow NH17) stretch for a night drive - that way, you will avoid the mad private buses, and have some low traffic. After Ernakulam, you will get good roads on NH till TVM.
This is possible if you start from any point after Kundapur after 3 pm. (even 8 PM, if you start from Mangalore).

The monsoon damage would have been fixed by late October. And there is not really much fog in Kerala. You will be taking the costal route - and at no point of time, from Kasargod will you be more than 20 KM from the sea coast.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 23:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kumar....thanks a ton for your detailed advice. Will definitely look forward to trying out this route. But am surprised how you can drive continuously without a break. For me, I will be in office on Friday till 6pm and will then start. If I do not take a break, it might just get a bit risky...hence the need for a stopover.

Which vehicle did you use for this drive? And what is your opinion on how the accent might fare in the ghats?

Thanks again.....
Guess am used to driving non-stop and through nights. Have driven that way over last 20 years in TVS Suzuki AX100 bike (1986), Mahindra Commander (1994), Daewoo Matiz (1999) and now Mahindra Scorpio (2005).

Accent is a great car, can take any of Indian roads. Please remember an Accent has even climbed the world's highest road - the Marisimk La in Ladakh. In any case, the ghats on NH17 are very moderate and on excellent roads.
Old 5th August 2007, 23:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Slightly less than 1,500 kms

Stop 1 - Goa
Stop 2 - Mangalore/Kasargode/Neeleshwaram

Dont bother - you cant do it. Two nights stopover is better.

1,500 kms - figure out the math. If you tank up in Goa you can avoid the ridiculous fuel prices in Karnataka. Goa to Kasargode is very easily done on a Tankful.

VERY good average speeds upto Goa, medium to slow speeds through Goa (time your drive so that you drive through Goa on a Sunday and its better), VERY good speeds again all the way upto Udupi, SLOW speeds upto Kasargode, Good speeds from Kasargode upto Kannur, slow speeds from Kannur to Calicut (unless you do it at night), medium to good speeds from Calicut to Trichur, VERY VERY slow speeds from Trichur to Cochin, Good speeds from Cochin to Kollam, Medium to slow speeds from Kollam to Attingal, Good speeds upto Trivandrum

Fill Fuel, Check Air, Check Oil, Check Lights, Drive

What winter? Which planet are you from?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 00:30   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

What winter? Which planet are you from?

I think his query stems from the fact that he is new to driving and he wants to know whether there are any specific nuances that he may keep in mind during this season while on the road in a car.

By the way, while coming back from Goa, crossing the Amboli ghat section and till Belgaum I faced tremendous fog early mornings. In fact I was zapped! It was peak summer and I was clueless (I still am) where all that fog was coming in from. The fog was so dense that the headlight was almost bouncing back, so dipped the lights and switched on the powerful bumper fog lights...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 08:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhi...thanks for the detailed info....the reason for going through Goa was to enjoy my first such drive and on the way back hang out for a few days.....

Am new to driving and have not crossed 80 on my accent though I regularly do 120 on my bike....so I guess I shall go by the max time.

Had already seen the Pune to Goa travelogue, but still raised the question as I wanted to know if going directly would've been faster.

Thanks a ton never the less....

Cheers....
Since you are new to driving, I suggest you dont try longer distances for a day. Take two breaks in the night and then reach TVM. I would still suggest you to go to Goa in the return journey not on the onward journey. Also you are starting in the evening and will be driving whole night, driving in unknown ghats in the night is not advisable... My suggession would be to drive till Kolhapur (say you reach there by 11PM), take a night halt on some INN on the highway (Kumar can guide you well where to halt)

Then start early morning at 4AM, try to stop somewhere in Kasaragod / Ullal...
Again start the next day at 4AM and reach TVM in the evening / night.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 08:51   #15
BHPian

^^ Is hault in kolhapur necessary ? because Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur is approx. 450 kms. max.
Pune -Kolhapur is hardly 2.5-3 hrs. drive.Taking into consideration that Mumbai - Pune would be approx 3 hrs. drive, Mumbai -Kolhapur should be around 6-6.5 Hrs. MAX
I guess if he starts early, he can cover some more distance ?

As far as my experience goes, the quickest route i have found to Goa is this,
Pune - Kolhapur - Gagan Bawda - Vaibhavwadi - Panaji.

GaganBawda is around 65kms from kolhapur. Kolhapur to Talere is around 100 kms. You meet NH17 at Talere and then you proceed to Panaji.

Other option as mentioned above, is to take full advantage of the 4 lane road upto Hubli, then jus before the Toll, take an exit to Karwar. Hubli Karwar is around 200 Kms. From Karwar you join the NH17 and proceed.

I hope a few tips of mine are helpful.

Amey
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote